Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,589 members, 7,937,669 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 10:07 AM

"Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos (50816 Views)

Olukere Of Ikere Ekiti Now Recognized As An Oba In Ekiti State / I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals / Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by lexy2014: 7:27pm On Jun 05, 2018
Xisnin:

Yes, Queen Victoria of England was on the throne.
OK...cheers
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by lexy2014: 7:29pm On Jun 05, 2018
ednut1:
queen victoria was a man i forgot.
that's interesting
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by lexy2014: 7:31pm On Jun 05, 2018
Probz:

Leave your backwardness in Nigeria. Don’t apply it to the western world or people more advanced than you.
OK...tnx 4d compliment. So who are d people more advanced than me?
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by Youngjohnosas: 7:32pm On Jun 05, 2018
YourNemesis:

Uhn?

Both mean and women can be royals of the UK. That a woman is there now does not mean a man won't or cant be there next.

All your other points are mute. You think the Benins fought the full strength of the British in the punitive expedition? lol! Not even close.

The entire point is that Africa needs to do away or reform backward practices.
d British empire was d largest empire in d world at that time so u expected them to come with d Queen of England to fight a small homogeneous empire like Benin.the empire was duly represented here,they didn't need half of that 1200 personnel when they strolled into other kingdoms and turned them to slaves. I think u should give kudos to this great Benin empire for their strong resistance. we are no weaklings bro unlike our brothers. ironically u don't have any issue with a single family dominating the united kingdom be it a male or female or u probably think they r d best family in the UK. its high time we stop paying much attention to little things and focus on the real deal.we are Africans we can succeed with our cultural heritage without tampering wit it.we should focus more on honesty transparency, accountability etc

3 Likes

Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by khaymhat(f): 7:37pm On Jun 05, 2018
pyyxxaro:
A woman can never be a Governor in EDO STATE
Olodo

Tribal War go soon start for here grin

Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by Oselu28(f): 7:44pm On Jun 05, 2018
who asked him to tell us dis one line history that he said in more than 250words...
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by lexy2014: 9:02pm On Jun 05, 2018
nextstep:

Not necessarily, but any society that restricts the potential of half its citizens can never even hope to become El Dorado.
when u say "half of its citizens", am sure u mean both gender cos we have a class system in d country that isn't gender sensitive. D core of d system is about access to resources and power. Those in control of d system discriminate both genders. Many Nigerian youths are wasting away not cause they are women but simply because those who control d system are only interested in furthering their personal interests. Look at d quota system that weeds out merit in favour of who no man and were u come from. Look at d way we sacrifice merit on d altar of mediocrity based on connection. Many Nigerians are suffering and it cuts across gender
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by HallaDaTruth: 9:06pm On Jun 05, 2018
okwabayi:
Long story short: the title 'OBA' signifies a male gender. If a female is chosen it would change to something else.
I've never heard of female sultans or emirs, so... what's the person's point again?
a female OBA is an OBAlina
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by mcfynest(m): 9:15pm On Jun 05, 2018
BoneBlogger:
A Nigerian man who is from a royal lineage in Benin Kingdom has revealed why a woman cannot become an Oba in their kingdom. The Benin man identified as Black Rice on social media, took time to explain the reason for law restricting women to the royal throne as he shared pictures to buttress his points.

Below is what he shared online;

WHY WOMAN CANNOT BECOME AN OBA IN BENIN KINGDOM....

Then who was Queen Idia... The most feared woman in the whole kingdom

At the demise of EZOTI, Prince OKPAME was dispatched to ESI to bring home Ezoti's only son, Prince OWERE to ascend the throne of his father... Unfortunately, Prince OKPAME was suspected to have murdered Prince OWERE and his mother, who were buried alive on their way to the City.

Although Prince OKPAME reported that these people died of natural causes; but the Binis held that they were untimely killed, where upon Prince OKPAME was banished and the Prince thereafter sought refuge in ORA... About 1473 AD.

OLUA the Second Son of EWUARE THE GREAT refused the throne as he feared that Prince OKPAME [his brother] would kill him.

The ELDER sister of OLUA my great-great grandad, Princess EDELEYO, was then persuaded to reign as OBA but while she was on her way to USELU to be invested as EDAIKEN, she found herself in the grip of her menstrual period and was therefore unable to perform all rituals which by custom must have no contamination with such conditions regarded as unclean.

The Princess had to remain @ a place now called OGHE EDELEYO for some days; Unfortunately the menstrual period persisted for quite a while and this made the UZAMA [the seven king makers] and EGHAEVBO {wise ones] to decide that, NO WOMAN SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO REIGN AS AN OBA IN FUTURE...

However every EDAIKEN visits Princess EDELEYO'S SHRINE to perform some ceremonies on his way to USELU after his INVESTITURE... In the end, the CHIEFS persuaded OLUA to accept the Throne and thereafter he was CROWNED OBA...

THE ITSEKIRI CONNECTION...

On the assumption of the OBASHIP, OLUA sent his younger son OHON [my grand father] to EHOR AS ENOGIE [DUKE] to keep watch on Prince OKPAME who was threatening an attack on BENIN... IGINUWA his elder son was not popular with the people because of the bad advice he gave to the OBA his father...

The OBA fearing the people will not allow his son to reign as OBA after his demise decided to found him IGINUWA A KINGDOM.

Thus he became the 1st. OLU OF ODIGHI N'AMEN, THE FOUNDER OF THE ITSEKIRI KINGDOM; from where my maternal linage originates...

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2018/06/why-a-woman-cannot-be-an-oba-in-benin-kingdom-man-reveals-with-photos.html
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by olu690(m): 9:38pm On Jun 05, 2018
vikkimimi:

Is the church of Christ the only church in the world.
Make your research properly before coming here to say trash
use your head, i knw what i'm saying. 1Cor 14v34.. Women should be silent in the church.!! But only the church of christ pratice this.

1 Like

Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by OlaoChi: 9:54pm On Jun 05, 2018
okwabayi:
Long story short: the title 'OBA' signifies a male gender. If a female is chosen it would change to something else.
I've never heard of female sultans or emirs, so... what's the person's point again?
. Actually no! Ọba being a title of Yoruba origin (and still maintains its logic in Edo) is not gender specific
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by OlaoChi: 9:58pm On Jun 05, 2018
Youngjohnosas:
. the binis r no coward u know what it takes to hold d Britons for nine days before they could enter Benin kingdom.I have never heard of any tribe in modern Nigeria that showed DAT patriotic spirit displayed by d binis.we were never scared of being killed despite d technological advantage d Britons had and fact that they came Wit 1200 personnel including d local ones ur kindred gave to them.they had heavy casualty on their side. A man cannot become d queen of England so a woman cannot be d oba of Benin I don't see how it affects the development of the nation. we have had women in enviable position in the society.
. Sir the Akans of the Ashanti kingdom held their kingdom for 100 years against the British... 100 years compared to 9 days..
Learn more African history

Ehn.. When a man is the monarch of England he is called king..when a woman it is queen. Same thing basically

1 Like

Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by Probz(m): 10:00pm On Jun 05, 2018
lexy2014:
OK...tnx 4d compliment. So who are d people more advanced than me?

Anyone with an IQ higher than 85.

1 Like

Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by lexy2014: 10:04pm On Jun 05, 2018
Probz:

Anyone with an IQ higher than 85.
are u in d business of testing peoples IQ test?
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by postmann: 10:09pm On Jun 05, 2018
vikkimimi:
And here they are(so-called males) jumping upandan as if this news adds a note to their empty pockets.
Whatever this says, it's their business, one of the reasons civilization will take a very long time to be accomplished in this part of the world.

Actually, the "civilized" countries in that part of the world are experiencing moral decline, breakdown in family values and decline in military strength.
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by postmann: 10:18pm On Jun 05, 2018
ednut1:
queen victoria was a man i forgot.

Does it matter who was King or Queen when Britain invaded Nigeria?

What mattered was it was a very long, endless line of male genealogy that laid the foundation and pillars on which the British might and heritage stood.

Too bad Europe lost its finests of the male specie during WW2.
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by jude33084(m): 11:16pm On Jun 05, 2018
SamOgasco:
Oga oooooo. Does that means that the Queen of England doesn't mensurate?

Oga this is why most of you do not pass exams

He said in Benin Kingdom NOT UK angry

Haba!
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by Chuck01: 12:25am On Jun 06, 2018
What a ridiculous conclusion by the Benin Kingmakers. So the atrocities of the men did not make them ban them also. Sadly, we still make decisions as senseless as this in this day in Nigeria.
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by Born2Breed(f): 1:50am On Jun 06, 2018
pyyxxaro:
A woman can never be a Governor in EDO STATE

Tribal War go soon start for here grin

Why NOT?
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by Born2Breed(f): 1:55am On Jun 06, 2018
aycorporat:
I just admire Benin with their good sense of history which is very traceable. I don't know if anyone can help me with this: When Oba Ovoramwen Nnogbaisi was exiled, did his son continue or was the lineage broken and another family installed? Thanks as I expect a good historian to give me facts.

The lineage was not broken. His first Son the crown Prince Aiguobasimi, was crowned as Oba Eweka the second.
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by Born2Breed(f): 1:59am On Jun 06, 2018
Xisnin:

Olua must be a coward.
Yet a kingdom ruled by a woman(Britain) came and ransacked a kingdom ruled by a "brave" man. Leadership isn't by gender.

...and women fought the war? Pick sense!
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by brodalokie: 4:43am On Jun 06, 2018
Youngjohnosas:
d British empire was d largest empire in d world at that time so u expected them to come with d Queen of England to fight a small homogeneous empire like Benin.the empire was duly represented here,they didn't need half of that 1200 personnel when they strolled into other kingdoms and turned them to slaves. I think u should give kudos to this great Benin empire for their strong resistance. we are no weaklings bro unlike our brothers. ironically u don't have any issue with a single family dominating the united kingdom be it a male or female or u probably think they r d best family in the UK. its high time we stop paying much attention to little things and focus on the real deal.we are Africans we can succeed with our cultural heritage without tampering wit it.we should focus more on honesty transparency, accountability etc

How come there are so many Yoruba speaking towns all around Benin? How do you deny the fact that the Yorubas were more advanced than their Benin relatives.

What do you know about the old Midwestern history?

I read about someone saying we are living in a suni muslim country and I wonder were he has gotten that information. According to what I was thought, Nigeria was almagamated.

The other person is talking about ancient Egyptian history just to discredit Christianity and yet everything he or she knows about Egyptian history is from the Christian bible. Whatever Egypt had then and now isn't the first nor superior so there is no need to pontificate over that thrash. Ham founded Egypt on falsehood yet the very first world empire was set up somewhere around modern day Iraq by his grandson, Nimrod and his wife Semiramis, still on occult falsehood. Before Ham rebelled and becomes self acclaimed idol, his father Noah was a prophet who sought the face of the most high God and his other children most especially the eldest son, Shem preserved his father's faith till date. There is original (humble) and there is impostor which is loud and without foresight you can't tell the difference or rather you must have a spiritual calling to recognize the real.
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by brodalokie: 4:51am On Jun 06, 2018
Born2Breed:

...and women fought the war? Pick sense!

You will be surprised what women can do in battle. Ever heard of the Amazons? Women also make good prayer (spiritual battle) WARRIORS and war-ship leaders. Lol

History doesn't favor women as heroes but every hero has a mother (consort)

1 Like

Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by brodalokie: 5:03am On Jun 06, 2018
postmann:

Does it matter who was King or Queen when Britain invaded Nigeria?

What mattered was it was a very long, endless line of male genealogy that laid the foundation and pillars on which the British might and heritage stood.

Too bad Europe lost its finests of the male specie during WW2.

WWII all occurred by a supernatural design or intelligence. I am very proud my grandpa was a veteran, still have photos in our village house.

Do you think it is possible for Benin to switch on to matriarchal monarchy someday, upon the foundation the males are currently laying down?

The first human civilization in Egypt after the death of Osiris they had Isis elevated to a position even more sacred than her husband-son (Osiris), the mother of god. In the Bible she was worshipped as the Queen of heaven. You can also see an example in the Catholic church.
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by Youngjohnosas: 7:04am On Jun 06, 2018
OlaoChi:
. Sir the Akans of the Ashanti kingdom held their kingdom for 100 years against the British... 100 years compared to 9 days..
Learn more African history

Ehn.. When a man is the monarch of England he is called king..when a woman it is queen. Same thing basically
sir I agree wit u on this but u should know also was that before 1897 expedition there were also several attempts by the British which where unsuccessful.....
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by Born2Breed(f): 7:27am On Jun 06, 2018
brodalokie:

You will be surprised what women can do in battle. Ever heard of the Amazons? Women also make good prayer (spiritual battle) WARRIORS and war-ship leaders. Lol

History doesn't favor women as heroes but every hero has a mother (consort)

I am referring to the 1897 Punitive Expedition in particular.

I know of women exploit in battles even more than you.
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by brodalokie: 7:48am On Jun 06, 2018
Born2Breed:

I am referring to the 1897 Punitive Expedition in particular.

I know of women exploit in battles even more than you.

Oh yeah? cheesy
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by Probz(m): 7:59am On Jun 06, 2018
lexy2014:
are u in d business of testing peoples IQ test?

Sometimes the way you type’s enough to go by.
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by Revolva(m): 8:14am On Jun 06, 2018
Tabooo

a woman can never be...

even make woman be pastor of any church i no de go ....again

https://mobile.facebook.com/naijaolosho/?refid=12

cos most benin babe na runs gal in their early ages grin grin grin
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by lexy2014: 8:21am On Jun 06, 2018
Probz:

Sometimes the way you type’s enough to go by.
Mr IQ pls look at ur english...
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by CioAngels(f): 8:42am On Jun 06, 2018
YourNemesis:
Africans would always justify their backwardness. D period lasted for ever na undecided. A country ruled by a woman still came to ransack and destroy d kingdom

lol... These are the same people who brought out a disgusting juju that hadn't been brought out for over 300 years to fight human trafficking.
And what was bad in the Oba's action, should he keep quiet while the citizen of Benin is sending girls abroad for prostitution? Tradition remains dynamic.
Re: "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos by postmann: 9:28am On Jun 06, 2018
brodalokie:

WWII all occurred by a supernatural design or intelligence. I am very proud my grandpa was a veteran, still have photos in our village house.

Do you think it is possible for Benin to switch on to matriarchal monarchy someday, upon the foundation the males are currently laying down?

The first human civilization in Egypt after the death of Osiris they had Isis elevated to a position even more sacred than her husband-son (Osiris), the mother of god. In the Bible she was worshipped as the Queen of heaven. You can also see an example in the Catholic church.

I don't see the Binis or any other patriarchal monarchy system in Nigeria switching to matriarchal monarchy.

Whatever be the current foundation the males are laying down, doesn't present a valid, spiritually backed opportunity for the female folks to unsurp authority. This is spiritual.

As for Isis, it was never about her. Whatever the myth was. It was about her husband's throne and the rivalry between King Orisis (her husband), her husband's brother and rival to the throne Set, and their son Horus, who later became king.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Oba Ewuare II (photos) / Emir Sanusi Appointed By UN As SDGs Advocate / Malagasy Peoples: A Beautiful Blend Of African And Asian Peoples

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.