Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,367 members, 7,920,402 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 06:16 AM

Dropped Nigerian Players! - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Dropped Nigerian Players! (6515 Views)

Nigerian Players That Deserve Super Eagles Call-up / Top 10 Nigerian Players Of 2013 / Nigerian Players In South African League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by Dedotunvic(m): 6:15pm On Jun 01, 2010
@all,did u guys ask ur self why Anichebe dint go 2 d AFCON? He was injured for most part of last season 4 everton n only came back dis year march n wit jst 2 games 4 everton,he had a back injury again was taken out.For dt reason i think there is a big ? On his fitness level. 4 me i thnk dis is our best n it only depends hw d coach use them.
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by philip0906(m): 6:40pm On Jun 01, 2010
Abegi up super chickens jare.will only regain their name super eagles if they shine at d world cup.but 4 nw return 2 status quo cheesy grin grin
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by PastorOla1: 6:42pm On Jun 01, 2010
I wish them all the very best
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by jalether(m): 7:09pm On Jun 01, 2010
legba1:

I just cant but marvel at guys comment when they dont have complete info on the issues at hand.ANICHEBE picked a knock on saturday training and that was why he couldnt play on sunday.even LB would love to take the guy but said his too prone to injuries. we all know IK uche is still match rusty and so will be a minus one.rather than kill the team, pls pray for their success coz wen they mis the chemistry we all suffer the heart-ache, we all suffer it.UP EAGLES AND UP NAIJA.

Going by largerback's reasoning for dropping IK and anichebe, mikel should have been omitted from the list as well since he is still suffering from injury and

definitely match rusty just like IK uche and Anichebe . whatever happened to consistency in decision making
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by semid4lyfe(m): 7:20pm On Jun 01, 2010
It's been confirmed. NFF lied about Anichebe being injured.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-455376.0.html
He was dropped due to NFF politicking!
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by johndavid1(m): 7:28pm On Jun 01, 2010
semid4lyfe:

It's been confirmed. NFF lied about Anichebe being injured.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-455376.0.html
He was dropped due to NFF politicking!
Politicswill never ends
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by nich(m): 7:39pm On Jun 01, 2010
grin   grin   na today? it have tey!
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by Acidosis(m): 7:48pm On Jun 01, 2010
So SHITTU made it atlast. He is sure to score a goal for the argentines, "own goal"
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by Acidosis(m): 7:48pm On Jun 01, 2010
So SHITTU made it atlast. He is sure to score a goal for the argentines, "own goal"
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by Acidosis(m): 7:49pm On Jun 01, 2010
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by otokx(m): 8:04pm On Jun 01, 2010
Hope he does not score 3 goals for the Argentinians; that will be a world cup record i guess.
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by dipo2much(m): 8:13pm On Jun 01, 2010
i hope we perform well and justify the exclusion of Anichebe. Luckily for him,he still has a lot of years ahead of him. It sulks to know kanu will be at the world cup. Its disgusting to imagine that Anichebe wont
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by xtianh(m): 8:15pm On Jun 01, 2010
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players!
« #4 on: Yesterday at 12:53:48 PM »

Its all over brilla fm,

what do u mean by this, please xplain
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by opsydudu(m): 8:29pm On Jun 01, 2010
final 23 squad for the world cup has been made, there is no need to complain or condemn the team yet. We have to wait and see after next weekend world cup match.

My advice to Mr Lager beer is not to play Yobo and Shittu against Argentina. That would be too much disaster and heartbreak for us, the other two matches we will win.

Second round Match

Nigeria (2nd in group stages) Vs France (1st in group stages)

anybody want to bet on that?
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by tosinaded(m): 10:02pm On Jun 01, 2010
xtianh:

Re: Dropped Nigerian Players!
« #4 on: Yesterday at 12:53:48 PM »

Its all over brilla fm,

what do u mean by this, please xplain

wetin u dey talk? semid ask me for my source! i posted that its all over Brilla Fm(sports radio in lagos)
wut do u want me to xplain again?
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by leffects(m): 10:08pm On Jun 01, 2010
Do we still need an old player like Yakubu in the super eagles squad. Why Yakubu for Anichebe
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by VitiMini(m): 10:08pm On Jun 01, 2010
We have started again….

COMPLAINING!!

COMPLAINING!!

COMPLAINING!!

After the Saudi match… What are so, so and so doing on the pitch?

After the Colombia match… Lukman can be the highest goal scorer at the WC if Lars uses him as the top 9!

After the final 23 were announced… How can Mikel be on the list and Peter Utaka not?

Please my fellow Eagles fans, SOME of you should open your eyes and stop judging football management through the limitations of your own understanding. This is NOT fantasy football.

This is quite clearly a similar side to what Amodu would have chosen. So the tools are pretty much same ol same, but remember that using Vincent van Gogh's brush does not mean I can achieve great things in art.

Perceiving the psychology and moral of your team is probably 50% of your job as a coach. Some of these boys are playing for their careers and that IDEALLY should make them pull up their socks. There is no amount of money the NFF can give these players during the course of the WC that will rival the monthly wedges some of our boys get at their respective clubs. SO saying that the NFF should give the team extra bonuses for beating Argentina is just a laugh!

My point is:
Take a player like Yakubu for instance, regardless of him being popular with most Nigerian fans or not. When your coach David Moyes lights fire under your nyash by signing Jermaine Beckford and is still in the market to signs more strikers in a WC year + the presence of a fit Luis Saha who will be there early for Everton's pre- season, will you not be motivated in fear of being traded to a lesser club in the summer and having to take a pay cut? This is his last window of opportunity to sell himself before the transfer floodgates are fully flung open. Look at the match against Colombia, we all caught glimpses of what a dedicated Yakubu looks like. Let us be honest with ourselves, did you not see hunger in his eyes? That same hunger that has been missing for sometime now. I believe the manager would want someone who is fighting for his survival in the trenches with him… This same theory concerns SOME of our other boys who have taken a lackadaisical attitude towards the Eagle in the past… Besides have any of you been present at their training sessions?

The inclusion of Kanu should not come as a surprise to all. Not because we can not do without him at the WC, but the fact that the sentimental card was played. He looked so comfortable on the bench in the Colombia match spotting a Philadelphia Phillies baseball hat looking smug. This despite being less than impressive against Saudi… Don’t be deceived, he already knew he had the ticket!

Anichebe is the sad story here. I do not believe he is better than a motivated Yakubu but I feel he could have added a deferent dimension to our game and would have played his heart out for Nigeria. I think the guy can still be a fan favorite for club and country in the future. He should hold his head up high and enjoy his holiday’s then report early for pre-season training. I salute him as a Nigerian brother!

Regardless of who made the final cut, it is going be a very difficult WC but if the coach is capable of blending this team tactically and mentally the second round is not beyond us.

Thank you for reading.
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by rasputinn(m): 10:09pm On Jun 01, 2010
I only feel for Ike Uche
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by mromo9ja: 10:34pm On Jun 01, 2010
So, why sack Amodu in the first instance? When will we start believing in ourselves? Very soon, we'll go in search of a foreign president. N-I-G-E-R-I-A!
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jun 01, 2010
This fellow called vitamini has just 4 posts and his profile was opened yesterday and all of his posts are made to back everything NFF.

Has NFF decided to go on a PR war?
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by shotster50(m): 11:39pm On Jun 01, 2010
Nigerians love moaning,  Fact is the coach has made his decision which i believe is irreversible. We as fans now have to get behind the team, encourage them and hope for the best.
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by Sagamite(m): 12:06am On Jun 02, 2010
Princek12:

Sagamite,

Even though there are only about five players or so who differentiate the current Eagles and Amodu's Eagles, there are other noticeable differences. The current team is more organized, tactical, and Largerback choses players based on reason and logic. As a matter of fact, Largerback explained to each player the reasons why he dropped them from the squad.
Amodu, on the other hand, chooses players without reason, explanation, and based on the buddy system. 

You are there to know if Amodu did not explain to each player why they were not selected?

That said, is it not the quality of players selected that matters the most?

One of the things most people said was that the SE need overhaul and Amodu was not doing it so he should be sacked.

Now we have a whiteman select almost exactly the same team Amodu selected (no overhaul, so Amodu was RIGHT) and the whiteman had some funny omissions and then, people are not calling for his head and are saying he "choses with reason and logic". But if Amodu chose the same players it is not of reason and logicgrin grin grin grin

If it was Amodu, we would hear, why is Shittu going to WC, why Ayila, he has taken money from Yobo, Kanu was the one that selected the team because he earns more than Amodu so Amodu just agrees, Yakubu is from his mother's womb (not even from his tribe anymore) that is why he did not drop him.  grin grin grin grin grin But Lagerback does it and it is?  . . . . . . . . . . . . he "choses with reason and logic"

Princek12:

Under Amodu, there was no organization on the field of play and players relied too much on luck to win. To put it plainly, "our luck ran out," said Osaze, who was frustrated after Eagles's exit from the Nations Cup. All he did was field 11 players and prayed for "luck." If Amodu were coach, he would have selected his final 23 over a month ago.

You mean the noticeable difference you saw against Saudi Arabia?  grin

Or are you basing on one match?

You mean their inability to win a team not going to the WC and not really that good?

When Amodu organised a team to beat France in France?  grin

Amodu's team really had little chance of performing considering that kind of biase you just showed above putting immense pressure, self-doubt and disharmony in the team. That is condemning loudly anything they do, no matter what? They are not allowed to concede goals. They have not won well until they win by 3 goals. They HAVE to beat all teams considered inferior at all cost.

But when a whiteman fails in all this, you add sugar and rationalisation whereever you can.  undecided
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by ayo84(m): 12:18am On Jun 02, 2010
same old shit,largerback is probably still taking advice/orders from NFA stooges,why would you include john utaka and injured mikel obi and drop anichebe
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by honeric01(m): 1:04am On Jun 02, 2010
Everton question Nigeria claim
Toffees insist Anichebe injury not serious
By Ben Collins Last updated: 1st June 2010

Injury Anichebe: confusion

, Everton have taken issue with Nigeria over the omission of Victor Anichebe from their World Cup squad through injury.

The Everton striker was one of the most notable omissions when Swedish boss Lars Lagerback named his final 23-man party, particularly after being their star man during last week's warm-up against Saudi Arabia.

Chief Taiwo Ogunjobi, the chairman of the technical committee at the Nigerian Football Federation, reportedly told the Nigerian Tribune he was left out after suffering a cracked chin against the Saudis.

But Everton have issued a statement on their official website, clarifying that their 22-year-old frontman has, in fact, suffered a bruised shin and that the injury is not serious.

The Premier League club have been angered at what they see as misinformation while the youngster is devastated at not making it to South Africa.

Anichebe featured in the Nigerian side that reached the 2008 Olympic final, losing to Argentina, and he has so far made four appearances for the senior team.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11671_6184291,00.html

we don suffer for this country, does Ogunjobi think no one can use the internet in Nigeria? LARGERBEER IS ANOTHER PUPPET UNDER THE NFF!!! angry angry angry
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by DrKitaun(m): 2:27am On Jun 02, 2010
U guys should drop this Amodu sentiments BS ! If Lagerbeer messes up then u can talk . . .who exactly were u guys expecting him to take to d mundial ? Akpan ? ThankGod Ike ? Osanga ? Ajagun . . .GET REAL GUYS !
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by shilling(f): 5:48am On Jun 02, 2010
Sad about Uche, was looking forward to seeing him in June.
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by VitiMini(m): 7:53am On Jun 02, 2010
@mikeansy

Thank you for taking time out to read my post, Time is money!!

Not everything is a conspiracy theory, but I guess when it comes to our beloved Naija almost everything is (Anichebe injury) cry Yes I am new to this Forum, but like all of you my fellow Nigerians, the WC fever has infected me and this is one of the few places I feel I can connect with other Eagles fans, EVEN the ones in DENIAL!!

I do not do PR for the NFF as some of you may want to believe. The NFF in my opinion are a bunch of grown men who do not have a clue when it comes to football management. As a Nigerian it is my duty to do all within my ability to boost morale and confidence in my fellow Eagles supporters by pointing out some things that can easily be over looked when judgments are made based on sentiments,

I would also like to seize this opportunity to say a big I TOLD YOU SO to all the people who had doubts about Dickson Etuhu making the final cut! I strongly believe he was the coaches choice and not the NFF.

This coach is good! You guys should STUDY our last 2 matches. You will see the difference in team chemistry. Who would have thought Sani Kaita could play on the right wing? Certainly not Amodu, Let me educate you on the implications of that move, keeping in mind that Lagerback like Clemens Westerhof and Jo Bonfrere are all believers in the 4-4-2 formation.

Our fullbacks are VERY average, so in playing Kaita on the right side of the midfield puts an extra ball winner who has the ability to play out wide on the pitch. This is to help neutralize opposing attacks coming down the flank. That may also account for Chidi Odiah on the right having less to do defensively than Taye Taiwo on the left flank during the Colombia match. Football is about balance! You can not attack all the time without having to defend at some point. Keeping in mind the 4-4-2 formation, do not be surprised if we see a scenario where Taye Taiwo is playing on the left wing and maybe Yobo or whoever playing as the left fullback… I know this is a BIG WHAT IF!!

If you have been following Lagerbacks statements from day 1 of camp, you will notice he said he was going to lay emphasis on the defense then the attack and improve the speed of the team, THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE FORMULA FOR FAST BRAKING COUNTER ATTACKING FOOTBALL Talk to Jose Mourinho!!

My people, abeg even me sef dey a bit disappointed with some of the team selection but watin man go do? The coach has a strategy and has visualized every scenario in his head over and over again. He has watched these boys in camp. It's his ass on the line. Who tell you say he wan dey unemployed after WC? Abi you think say he no like the salary wey we dey pay am?  

How did our English Premiership Eagles do at club level last season?

Anichebe featured in 11 out of 38 EPL games for Everton playing 45 minutes or more in 6 and 90 minutes in just 1. He featured in 4 of Everton's last 5 games. With an overall total of 4 shot on target out of 7, 3 chances created, 1 goal and 2 assists. He also saw 481 minutes of Premiership action all season. He would have added another dimension to our game, similar to how Fabio Capello dropped 24 goal scoring Darren Bent for a 3 goal scoring Heskey in his final 23.

Mikel featured in 25 out of 38 EPL games for Chelsea playing 45 minutes or more in 21 and 90 minutes in 11. He featured in 7 of Chelsea's last 10 games. With an overall total of 46 tackles won out of 62, 17 chances created and 1740 minutes of Premiership action all season. He played in a holding role and not attacking midfielder for Chelsea last term. It’s the same Chelsea medics that ruled Essien out of the WC, why would they lie about Mikel not being fit if he was only out for 4 weeks, not 7 months.

Utaka featured in 18 out of 38 EPL games for Pompey playing 45 minutes or more in 12 and 90 minutes in 8. He featured in 6 of Pompey's last 10 games. With an overall total of 6 shots on target out of 24, 18 chances created, 1 goal and 3 assists. He also saw 1054 minutes of Premiership action all season. He was also used mostly as a wide midfielder and not a striker much of last season by Pompey!

Papilo featured in 23 out of 38 EPL games for Pompey playing 45 minutes or more in just 7 and 90 minutes in only 3. He also featured in 5 of Pompey's last 10 games. With an overall total of 3 shots on target out of 10, 14 chances created, 2 goals and 3 assists. He also saw 840 minutes of Premiership action all season. Note that he played less than 30 minutes in 12 of the 23 matches he was involved in… Old age

Etuhu featured in 20 out of 38 EPL games for Fulham playing 45 minutes or more in 14 and 90 minutes in 12. He also featured in 5 of Fulham's last 10 games. With an overall total of 34 tackles won out of 47 and 1336 minutes of Premiership action all season. He was ever present in the midfield for Fulham during the Europa Cup.

Yobo featured in 17 out of 38 EPL games for Everton playing 45 minutes or more in 13 and 90 minutes in 12. He featured in 4 of Evertons's last 10 games. With an overall total of 19 tackles won out of 25 and 1183 minutes of Premiership action all season. He played the full 90 minutes in all but 2 of Everton’s first 13 games. However of the 4 games in their last 10 he played less than 5 minutes in 3.

Yak featured in 25 out of 38 EPL games for Everton playing 45 minutes or more in 10 and 90 minutes in only 4. He also featured in 9 of Everton's last 10 games. With an overall total of 16 shots on target out of 32, 21 chances created, 5 goals and 4 assists. He also saw 1095 minutes of Premiership action all season… Maybe with his future at Everton hanging in the balance, he may decide to show his true potential at the WC.

Oh well, stats don’t win games but Anichebe looks to me like he did more with his limited playing time than most others though, injury prone. Hopefully he can stay fit through next season.

One more thing before I forget, Chief Taiwo Ogunjobi please STOP lying to your father. There is a huge difference between a cracked shin and a bruised shin!

Thank you for reading. Most of these stats can be found at the Official Barclays Premiership website.

Not pro Lagerback Not pro NFF Just pro Super EAGLES!!
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by VitiMini(m): 7:56am On Jun 02, 2010
Go Eagles Go!!
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by naso2(m): 8:45am On Jun 02, 2010
@vitimini
I dey gbadun you die. I really like your style.
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by Kgdavid(m): 8:48am On Jun 02, 2010
highly impressive work there bro
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by DrKitaun(m): 9:01am On Jun 02, 2010
@Vitimini

nice posts, good to have a newbie on the same page with the true afficionadoes here.

As per Anichebe, why is Everton always too fast in reacting to stories concern their internationals ?

Lies or not, Lagerback must have had a good reason to drop him plus he might still be d 23rd player if not IK Uche, lets just support the team and move on instead of ranting jare . . .that team could have been an Amodu team but they now the hunger and self-consciousness they never had under Amodu.
Re: Dropped Nigerian Players! by Sagamite(m): 9:11am On Jun 02, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

U guys should drop this Amodu sentiments BS ! If Lagerbeer messes up then u can talk . . .who exactly were u guys expecting him to take to d mundial ? Akpan ? ThankGod Ike ? Osanga ? Ajagun . . .GET REAL GUYS !

Hopefully the guy does not fail.

But you yourself are aware of the lame duck excuses given by some people here that was very annoying for Amodu to be sacked. Excuses that in some cases were so cretinous I had to vituperate some of the proponents.

One of the excuses was that he had no vision by not taking any home-based player. That he was a useless coach (despite never losing a match) because he only relied on foreigned based and big name players (and they must have paid him). That we need a coach like Westerhof who would find the gem in a home-based. Amodu has been vindicated by the failure of the home-based players in the local ANC and failure to make oyinbo winch's WC list that no home-based player is good enough.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Okagbare, Amusan Chase Cash As IAAF Diamond League End / Leading Scorers In The Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) / 2odds Sure Win In Bet9ja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.