Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,244 members, 7,943,472 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 04:31 PM

How Important Is Masters Grade - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Important Is Masters Grade (33858 Views)

The Amazing Way I Got A Job With A Poor Grade / #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me / How Important Is “speaking Good English” In Securing A Good Job In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Important Is Masters Grade by Sagamite(m): 8:30pm On Jun 02, 2010
kech:

LOL! So true, You'd be surprised at how motivational ordinary words can be.  Naija has the same pull-me-down syndrome of Britain.

Actually, if I was to correct myself as those statements are mostly inchoate ones.

Nigeria's primary psyche is:

"Lets do little work but reap the largest and quickest returns"

It does not matter if the work is not up to par with the best out there or even meets basic international standard. No long term thinking, just short term quick-rich mentality. Work little, make a lot of money.

Our Mobile phone firms, our politicians, our students taking exams or seeking jobs, our broadcasting firms all practice this. They want to drive Hummer in 2 months to show they have made it.

Part of the reason why most things a f'ed in Nigeria.
Re: How Important Is Masters Grade by Nobody: 4:43am On Jun 03, 2010
Na wa o . When did masters start 1st class, 2.1, and 2.2, are you guys serious?
All i know is the CGPA and the distinction, pass grading.

Naija uses the CGPA and you need to make like 3/5 to proceed to the Phd level. Apart from that your grades ain't important.
Re: How Important Is Masters Grade by SEFAGO(m): 6:35am On Jun 03, 2010
LOL. Some really funny statements. Anyways:

Na wa o . When did masters start 1st class, 2.1, and 2.2, are you guys serious?
All i know is the CGPA and the distinction, pass grading.

Naija uses the CGPA and you need to make like 3/5 to proceed to the Phd level. Apart from that your grades ain't important.

Usually masters under the UK system is either distinction or nothing.

The US masters uses a GPA system, though this is useless. The US masters is very much oriented towards research while the UK masters is a glorified extra bachelors degree except its an MSc in research or MPhil, then its a 1 year research degree which you could do as an undergrad in the US. You end up writing a disseration in the UK. From what I know, you need prayer b4 your dissertation gets read by a professor in the UK lol. But you dont get a grade per se such as 1 st Class, 2.1 and 2.2
Re: How Important Is Masters Grade by SEFAGO(m): 6:47am On Jun 03, 2010
graduate schools in the US well most give GPA's for the master's level.
[b]you need a gpa of at least a 3.5/4.0(4.5/5.0) [/b]to move on to the PHD level. going below 3.0 places you on probation or gets you kicked out of the program.

grades are indeed important for a masters degree. how can u master something u are average at?

One must be retarded to get a 3.5 in a masters program, and you would likely not get into a good PhD. However your grade while as a PhD is of no consequence to anyone
Re: How Important Is Masters Grade by SEFAGO(m): 6:54am On Jun 03, 2010
You actually believe an ekiti chic would have a 1.9 GPA? Shocked

Anywaz, yes, am still on it.

A 1.9 means you are ultra retarded or you smoke weed and ultra retarded every single day. I had a roommate who was high on weed every single second (not exaggerating) and he still pulled off a 3.0 lol.
Re: How Important Is Masters Grade by SEFAGO(m): 7:10am On Jun 03, 2010

^^ yeah i know american sytem is differnt,in some skool in the us master degrees are awarded without any honors what so ever but my post was for those crazy people trying to argue with me that master degrees in some skools are graded like bachelor degrees e.g 1st class, 2:1, etc

I think only at the undergrad that the US awards honors- around top 35%-45% (Cum Laude, Magna cum laude and Summa cum laude). I rarely here about people mentioning there honors though in undergrad, and people just mention their GPA which I don't trust because of the varying grading scales and quality of education in various schools in the US.
Re: How Important Is Masters Grade by Pame(m): 5:59pm On Jun 03, 2010
LET ME QUICKLY SAY HERE THAT I AM PARTICULARLY HAPPY WITH YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE ONE OF THE AMBITIOUS ONES. AND I PRAY THAT GOD WILL SEE YOU THROUGH IN YOUR ACADEMIC PURSUIT.

IN AS MUCH THAT GETTING EDUCATION IS VERY GOOD, WITH ALL IT'S PECULIARITIES AND ADVANTAGES, IT WILL ONLY SERVE AS ONE THE QUICK MEANS OF GETTING A GOOD MEANS OF LIVING, IT MAY NOT GET YOU "RICHES". I READ SOMEONE MADE MENTION OF THE BILLIONAIRES THAT THE WORLD HAS PRODUCED SO FAR, HARDLY WOULD YOU FIND ONE THAT GOT HIS RICHES BY VIRTUE OF QUALIFICATION HE/SHE HAD FROM COLLEGE. ALL THAT EVERYONE NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN LIFE IS THE BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF YOUR CONCEIVED IDEA. LET'S LOOK INWARD A BIT, THE LIKES OF DANGOTE, DELE MOMODU, TO MENTION BUT FEW DID NOT GET THEIR MONEY FROM ANY QUALIFICATION BUT THEIR LONG CONCEIVED IDEAS.

I DON'T AV MUCH TIME, I WILL ONLY ADVICE YOU TO LOOK INWARD(MAY TAKE A LITTLE TIME ANYWAY), AND IDENTIFY THAT WHICH YOU ALWAYS LIKE TO DO, THAT WHICH YOU'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO. LIKE I SAID, IT MAY TAKE YOU TIME TO DISCOVER THIS, IT MAY SOMETIMES SOUND RIDICULOUS, IT MAY NOT EVEN APPEAR LUCRATIVE OR PERHAPS, YOU MAY FEEL A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE INTO SAME VENTURE, LIMITATIONS, MONEY?.

START SMALL, HAVE FOCUS, LEARN ALONG THE LINE TO ACQUIRE KNOWLEDGE. EVEN IF IT IS IN THE SAME ACADEMIC LINE, DON'T WASTE TIME, PURSUE IT TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITY.

GOOD LUCK

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Masters Grade by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jun 05, 2010
I think a Masters` degree sort of adds to ur profile as an employee.
But permit me to ask, this online masters` degree thing, is it real, i mean feasible in naija, wit market value? They r all over the net.
Re: How Important Is Masters Grade by AeroDept: 1:39pm On Jun 08, 2010
Areo Contractors Airlines Warri Airport
Osubi Airport, Warri Delta Steate Nigeria

The Areo Contractors is a Nigerian airline based in Lagos, Nigeria and founded in 1959. The carrier operates domestic and international scheduled services and works in close cooperation with the Nigerian oil and gas industry in the form of providing employees with charter flights to their respective countries.

JOB DETAIL:

The Human Resources Department of Areo Contractors Airlines is delighted to announce it's 2010 Recruitment Exercise which is open to all applicant from around the globe.

Areo Contractors Airlines seek to employ professional in Airlines/Aviation Engineers from around the world, therefore if you believe you posses such qualification, do forward to us your current resume/CV to (hr.aerorecruitmentdept@gmail.com)for screening and at the same time make sure you complete the below information:

FULL NAME,

DATE OF BIRTH, SEX,

ADDRESS,

NATIONALITY,

POSITION APPLY FOR,

CURRENT TELEPHONE,

EMAIL,

NOTE:
All positions are Vacant in our newly Established Branch,

Aircraft Engineering
Air Hostess
Food and Beverage Manager
House keeper
Chef
Store keeper
wadding Engineering
Production Engineering
HSE Officer
Project Management
Computer Engineering
Designing Engineering
Electrical/Electronics, Software
Network Engineering
Software Engineer
Financial Manager
Chief Administrative Officer
Assist Admin.
Web Designer
Financial Analyst
Software Quality Assurance engineer
District Manager.
Computer Technician,
Product Manager
Customer Relations Manager
Senior Sales & Support Coordinator
Production Officer
Instrumentation Engineer
Forman
Senior Wells Support Engineer
Harbour Pilot / Mooring Master
Systems and Production Manager
Reservoir Engineers
Technical Sales Engineer

Human Resources Department of Areo Contractors Airlines shall contact you with details about job offer if your resume pass our screening process. If we did not reply to your resume kindly note that you were not selected and do not bother to send an email regarding to that as we may not reply to your query.

Yours faithfully,

Mr.Charles Onyeukwu
Human Resources Manager
+2347067100608
Re: How Important Is Masters Grade by Otilo12: 10:34pm On Apr 08, 2013
chire: While a Masters degree holder might not necesarily be better or more competent than a Bachelors degree holder, it is very advisable to go for Masters if the opportunity present itself.
If not for any other reason, we live in a very competitive world where there are so many applicants chasing very few jobs. So the employers always raise the recruitment standards just to drop so many applicants.Some companies now strictly target only Masters degree holders.
Even if you get a good job with your bachelors,your colleagues with a Masters degree may enjoy more rapid promotions than you,etc.
So ultimately, i think a Masters degree is very beneficial in the long run.

I graduated with a third class degree, and at the moment i've almost finished my PhD programme.
Then, congrates! But whatever u find ur hands doing, do it well
Re: How Important Is Masters Grade by ABSTRUSE: 4:06pm On Feb 28, 2019
otokx:
Not important at all

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Still On Nigeria Security & Civil Defence Corps / Teaching And Non-teaching Vacant Positions At Chrisland Schools Limited-dec.2013 / 6 Brutally Honest Answers To Common Job Interview Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.