Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,822 members, 7,889,724 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 07:03 PM

Abarra, A Lost/forgotten Tribe - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Abarra, A Lost/forgotten Tribe (874 Views)

Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa / Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe / Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abarra, A Lost/forgotten Tribe by Dayoto: 9:38pm On Jun 09, 2018
Nigeria is a country in the West Africa with the population of over 180 million, 372 tribes and culture; consisting 3 major tribes (Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba).

Some tribes are considered "lost/forgotten tribes", for you hardly hear about them except in the national archive.

Abarra is a tribe among the "lost/forgotten" tribes which her majority can be found in the North Central Nigeria and some parts of Southwest Nigeria.
According to Chief Aborri Bangiji, the leader of 'Abarra's People Movement (APM)' "...the population of the Abarra people as at 2011 was around 840 thousand... I mean those that can be counted! I live in Lagos now and we usually have yearly festival in which we all gather from different places around the world to celebrate. I can't say for sure the population, because we're scattered everywhere..."

A distinguishing feature of the Abarra tribe is that their women are famous for sporting tattoos of various kinds. The women who work as tattooing artists belong to the 'Obe'. They are extremely knowledgeable about the different types of tattoos and piercings preferred by various tribes. Their mothers traditionally pass on this knowledge to them. Tattooing amongst the tribals commences with the approach of winter and continues until summer.

Abarra is one of the most beautiful languages in Nigeria with rich tongue-rolling Afro Asiatic.

Their women are easily spotted due to their wide hips, frontier curves, slim tummy, tattoos and piercings. While their men are calm, tall and muscular.

Get to me to know more about this beautiful tribe(Abarra).
Re: Abarra, A Lost/forgotten Tribe by scholes0(m): 11:58pm On Jun 09, 2018
No information on state were they are indigenous to.
No Picture to back up anything
No online links to research and know more
No sample of their Language

How can a tribe be from the North central, south and southwest? wetin b dat?
Re: Abarra, A Lost/forgotten Tribe by Dayoto: 12:08am On Jun 10, 2018
scholes0:

How can a tribe be from the North central, south and southwest? wetin b dat?

Thanks, North-central actually

I'll modify later on others
thanks

1 Like

Re: Abarra, A Lost/forgotten Tribe by 9jakool: 12:09pm On Jun 11, 2018
Re: Abarra, A Lost/forgotten Tribe by 9jakool: 12:10pm On Jun 11, 2018
Dayoto:

I'm well versed in Nigeria's ethnic minorities, but I've never heard of the Abarra tribe. What's another name for the tribe? Often times, what I see is that many ethnic minorities name, especially in the North also have names that are more popularized by major groups. Can you give me a state and local government(s) from North Central where these people are found? If they are an Afroasiatic group, then they can be natively found in Plateau or Nasarawa states and maybe the FCT.

1 Like

Re: Abarra, A Lost/forgotten Tribe by Dayoto: 6:17pm On Jun 11, 2018
9jakool:

If they are an Afroasiatic group, then they can be natively found in [b]Plateau or Nasarawa states and maybe the FCT.

Exactly!

In order to help this post, I have been doing some research in which I will post here afterward...

(1) (Reply)

*ilu Ajẹ (town Of Witches)* / Misconception About Ilorin And Fulani / How To Make Candles Smell Stronger? (2022 Guide)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.