Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,621 members, 7,911,630 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 01:23 PM

Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! (8494 Views)

Reporter Removes Clothes While Reporting On Ronaldo / Ethiopia Deny Attack On Nigeria Team Bus / Biased Reporting On London Meet -no News On Okagbare Win On Bbc,cnn,diamond Leag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 2:38pm On Jun 03, 2010
@tudor

why cant u lead and be the 1st to die?
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Tudor6(f): 2:45pm On Jun 03, 2010
wirinet:

Tudor, What everybody is saying is that the portion about 419 is totally out of context. Meaning the context in which it is used is false, inappropriate and sarcastic.
No body is disputing the fact that millions of spam mails is sent from Nigeria each year. But for a journalist to  write the profile of a country's football team and input his conjectures and assumptions is totally unprofessional. There is no scientific study to suggest that during a football tournament, spam mails from Nigeria reduces. If the reporter had actually carried out such a study, he should have provided the facts.
havent u ever heard of deductive reasoning? it follows that science test hypothesis made from deductive reasoning. . .u can go scientifically test the writers assertion if you so wish.  

Even the best excuse the BBC could come up with is that it was a joke, because was glaring that it was not applicable to the said profile. So i am surprised you are the only one who do not see any wrong with the profile. You seem to hate anything Nigerian and support anybody who takes takes cheap shots at Nigerians and Nigeria.
excuse? when i read it i saw it as plain humour. since you folks decide to take it as a serious statement, i just pointed out the statement is highly valid.

to accuse me of hating everything nigerian is soo flawed. i'm a very practical person and hold the opinion that you do not hold the person who takes the cheapshots responsible rather you take to ransom the individual who who gives him the opportunity to do it in the first place.

if u leave yourself laden with embarrassing flaws, why blame the fellow who mocks you with them? should you not concentrate on building up yoyrself rather than foaming at outsiders who mock you?

If the said piece was in a tabloid or a less serious section, most people would have laughed it off, but to pass that a news or a profile of the National team is unprofessional.
pls, a gag was also made about the french national team, its obvious the profiles have a football/humor angle. to go accusing them of racism is silly
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by alamsdee: 2:48pm On Jun 03, 2010
@tudor

mate i do offer you my hand of friendship, lets be friends. i do not like having qualms with peops, lets drop the hatchet and be friends
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Tudor6(f): 2:56pm On Jun 03, 2010
tkb417:

unfortunately, i dont want to die grin grin grin

do u know how many were killed during the June 12 struggle?
we are still where we are

i dont want to be a sacrififcial lamb that will not be acceptable to the gods!!
if i die and things change, e for better grin grin

The only reason nigeria still remains the same is because nigerians are cowards. . . .if EVERYBODY rose up and demanded change, do you think they will shoot over 80,000 0000 people?

truth is n
nigerians being as cowardly as they are, when they shoot the first 100, everbody disperses to thier village.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:33pm On Jun 03, 2010
@Tudor

Nigerians are not cowardly or lack spine when it comes to doing what counts when it counts.

Why it seems that way is because
1: There is no confidence that when and after the war is fought, the same arm-chair generals that led it would become the same demons many lost their lives over. (Consider Bola Tinubu activist now turned political demon grin )
2: Frequently when there is a call to action from our usual Political Activists, it is done after the fact (Consider Comrade Oshiomole and the fuel price hikes of yester-years. it is now we realise he was in agreement all along. just galled us into making a fool of ourselves)

Nigerians are simply tired of getting called to action for the right reasons but wrong intentions.
Oshiomole and his activists crew are calling for IBB to be forgiven of his past misdeeds and given a chance to correct them (Are we that dumb )

Everyman will protest as far as he can without getting killed (of what use is getting killed without getting the job done)
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by tkb417(m): 3:39pm On Jun 03, 2010
Everyman will protest as far as he can without getting killed (of what use is getting killed without getting the job done)

i said the same thing in another way

"i wouldnt want to be a sacrificial lamb that will not be acceptable to d gods"
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by dayokanu(m): 4:28pm On Jun 03, 2010
Can anything sensible come out of England?
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:43pm On Jun 03, 2010
dayokanu:

Can anything sensible come out of England?

TM LEWIN SHIRTS grin
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Tudor6(f): 4:51pm On Jun 03, 2010
tkb417:

i said the same thing in another way

"i wouldnt want to be a sacrificial lamb that will not be acceptable to d gods"

lagerwhenindoubt:

@Tudor

Nigerians are not cowardly or lack spine when it comes to doing what counts when it counts.

Why it seems that way is because
1: There is no confidence that when and after the war is fought, the same arm-chair generals that led it would become the same demons many lost their lives over. (Consider Bola Tinubu activist now turned political demon grin )
2: Frequently when there is a call to action from our usual Political Activists, it is done after the fact (Consider Comrade Oshiomole and the fuel price hikes of yester-years. it is now we realise he was in agreement all along. just galled us into making a fool of ourselves)

Nigerians are simply tired of getting called to action for the right reasons but wrong intentions.
Oshiomole and his activists crew are calling for IBB to be forgiven of his past misdeeds and given a chance to correct them (Are we that dumb )

What oshiomole and co were doing is what you call protest? Look at the orange revolution in ukraine and islamic revolution of iran then you'll get an idea of what I call protest.

The idea of a revolution is to hand power back to the people, the politicians should fear the people and not the other way around.

Should the new pple choose to misbehave, then the people take back whats thiers.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by illusion2: 6:39pm On Jun 03, 2010
Is it just me or Tudor is becoming another Kobojunkie ? . . . . come to think of it the similaries are undeniable. . . hmmmmmmm sad
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Tudor6(f): 7:06pm On Jun 03, 2010
illusion2:

Is it just me or Tudor is becoming another Kobojunkie ? . . . . come to think of it the similaries are undeniable. . . hmmmmmmm sad
are you calling me a drug addict?? What the hell is a kobojunkie?
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by haronky7: 9:41pm On Jun 03, 2010
Hey guys, as much as I condemn in the strongest term this outrageous cheap-shot, I must say that our image is in tatters already.

No amount of complaints will resolve this except our security services really cup-on and chase down these 'yahoo-yahoo boys'. But come to think of it - who will chase them down and put them out of business when our politicians are mega-thieves and often pocket the security operatives?

This doesn't mean that well-meaning, honest and decent Nigerians should't keep complaining however

It's amazing that as a pure-bred Nigerian who grew up in Lagos and vast in all the cunning antics of these low-lifers, and though currently outside of the shores, I often get their unsolicited e-mails in droves

Tell me how would you mend an already tattered image abroad with this ridiculous thing still going on?

Conclusion of the matter - COME TO TERMS WITH AND GET USED TO IT!
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Wadosky(m): 10:31pm On Jun 03, 2010
truth is bitter
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by illusion2: 7:07am On Jun 04, 2010
Tudór:

are you calling me a drug addict?? What the hell is a kobojunkie?

Kobojunkie's a NL user. . . .I'm sure you know that already tongue
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Tudor6(f): 7:50am On Jun 04, 2010
illusion2:

Kobojunkie's a NL user. . . .I'm sure you know that already tongue
Dude, what are you talking about? what similarities?
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by thameamead(f): 11:30am On Jun 04, 2010
The same BBC that screened a documentary about King Jaja of Opobod's son (walker) on Sunday on BBC 4 @ 10pm, u guys can watch it on iplayer, it was nice to see Naeto, Dbanj and sasa, its under New kings or BBC 4,
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jun 04, 2010
i thinks the offensive bit of the report has been removed by the bbc bcuz i just checked it and it is no longer on the site, but it still baffles me that was the only thing the journalist could think of concerning Nigeria grin haba, are we that notorious?? undecided
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by negus: 8:32pm On Jun 04, 2010
in the words Prof. Emmanuel Omoh Esiemokhai, their shaggy-dog stories no longer cut the ice. they are now short of ideas as their stream of consciousness wanes inexorably.
this is a well calculated attack on the people of Nigeria and Nigeria as a nation. the Nigerian Information Minister should quickly respond to this. this is an act of paper hostility and affront on our national security.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Xeon: 5:20pm On Jun 05, 2010
THAT [color=#990000][b]Tom McCoy GUY IS A BIG FOOL CALL HIM SELF JONALIST

SUCH A FUCKN FOLLISH RACECIALL WRITERS IN BBC

FUK YALL[/b][/color]
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Sprumbaba: 2:51am On Jun 07, 2010
@ Tudor

Why you no carry your Family, with your papa and mama go Abuja to protest if no on has done what you want?
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by JIY: 11:17am On Jun 07, 2010
Thanks to those who complained on the BBC website, it appears that the offending paragraph has been deleted.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Eziachi: 6:10pm On Jun 15, 2010
Tudor may be the only voice on this argument to reason differently but I have to say that the guy is right. Sport and politics goes hand in hand even when we are told otherwise. You cannot divorce a nation vices not to be tangle when sport is the issue. When South Africa got the right to hold this world cup, the whole story even inside South Africa is often centred on the crime rate in South Africa, especially the murder rate per annum and how safe?

So you cannot say what has murder or HIV got to do with South Africa hosting the soccer games? Nigerians may not like it but no one can comment on any issue involving Nigeria today without the 419 spam emails rearing its head and that is a fact of life. You may groan and moan about it but that is the reality you will have to live with to the foreseeable future.
It is Just that Tudor is telling you guys to probably face reality and sometimes using humour is the best way of dealing with your personal negatives. Taking BBC serious is as good as arming them to do more damage.

My experience as a father to a first class journalist is that, if the BBC realised how much stick they get from you guys, they will not stop but rather they will be encouraged to write more, because that is what modern/popular media is all about- more rating through controversy. You don’t get good high ratings by being nice to be people.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Eziachi: 6:20pm On Jun 15, 2010
negus:

in the words Prof. Emmanuel Omoh Esiemokhai,  their shaggy-dog stories no longer cut the ice. they are now short of ideas as their stream of consciousness wanes inexorably.
this is a well calculated attack on the people of Nigeria and Nigeria as a nation. the Nigerian Information Minister should quickly respond to this. this is an act of paper hostility and affront on our national security.   

Then more reason for you and others to boycott their products-TV, Radio, Website and resort to yours (NTA). Why are you so addicted to an organisation that you felt t loves abusing you? That is not healthy.
Nigerian information minister can't do even a fart if he/she tried, when all his/her stolen wealth is in the U.K, his/her kids enjoying U.K qualitative educational system.
No one will call you a theif is you are not, years of Nigerians defrauding their own nation and later on, flooding the entire universe with all sorts scam has come home to roost. Writing about Nigeria on any subject without mentioning 419 is just like writing about East African without mentioning their impressive wildlife.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by AngieFan(f): 6:54pm On Jun 15, 2010
Again, Nigerians stop being so uptight lighten up! Geez! It was a joke! I am sure there are more important things for you to be concerned about than a light-hearted statement which probably made by an intern at the BBC.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Week 42 Pool RSK Papers 2024: Bob Morton, Capital Intl, Soccer X Research, Bigwi / Di Maria Vs Hazard:who Is D Best / Cagliari Has Been Cleared Of Racist Chanting Towards Lukaku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.