Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,691 members, 7,948,566 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 03:18 AM

Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste (46458 Views)

Efemena Okedi Is Dead! Ras Kimono's Wife Dies / Regina Daniels Mourns Ras Kimono: 'I Never Knew That Death Is Real Until Today' / Ras Kimono Is Dead! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by slapandfall(m): 7:20pm On Jun 10, 2018
D
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by obonujoker(m): 7:21pm On Jun 10, 2018
I watched him recently at shina peters birthday....
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by Emary(f): 7:25pm On Jun 10, 2018
Ras Kimono (9 May 1958 – 10 June 2018) was a Nigerian reggae artist whose debut album Under Pressure, led by the single "Rum-Bar Stylée", was a big hit in the Nigerian music scene in 1989. Before he released his solo album, he was in a group called The Jastix along with Amos McRoy and Majek Fashek.

Born Ekeleke Elumelu, in Delta State, Nigeria, he started out his career, firstly as a student of Gbenoba Secondary School Agbor and later as a member of the Jastix Reggae Ital, alongside Majek Fashek, Amos McRoy Jegg and Black Rice Osagie. His music was greatly influenced by the poverty, inequality and hardship he witnessed in his early life. He released his solo debut album Under Pressure on the Premier Music label in 1989, which propelled him to instant continental stardom. The album had hits such as "Under Pressure", "Natty Get Jail" and the massive hit "Rhumba Style". He later released a string of hit albums, touring all over Africa, Europe and the United States, promoting his brand of reggae music. He won several awards including the Nigeria Music Awards, Fame Music Awards and many more. In 2010, he was still performing to a loyal fan-base of all ages and his music is still played on radio, throughout West Africa. Kimono served a long apprenticeship on the Nigerian music circuit, experimenting with a number of styles, before making his late 1980s breakthrough as a reggae singer. Together with his Massive Dread Reggae Band. Kimono released his debut album, Under Pressure in 1989, accompanied by the popular single, "Rum-Bar Stylee", this revealed both a Jamaican and native African influence (the latter particularly evident in his ‘Patois’ delivery, as frequently employed by Fela Kuti to communicate with the urban underclass). His strongly polemical lyrics produced album sales of over 100,000 copies, and a fervent following for his advocacy of social change. What’s Gwan proved even more successful, with the topics selected including legalisation of marijuana, and the need for Africans to intellectually repel colonialism and its arbitrary boundaries between tribes. Most controversially, he was not averse to naming directly those in power he saw as synonymous with backdoor imperialism.

He died, at the age of 60, on 10 June 2018 in Lagos, Nigeria. - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ras_Kimono

4 Likes

Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by tredax66(m): 7:28pm On Jun 10, 2018
No his from uganda..
olametrix:
Please is he also from nigeria?
Innocent question

Waiting for answer
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by tolani4real: 7:29pm On Jun 10, 2018
Quickjobs:
Checkout the list of the top 7 things you need to know about Ras Kimono below;

1. Ras kimono has about 5 children according to report, his last born was given birth in the year 2013 in Lagos, Nigeria by his third wife, her name is Efe and he used to be his music manager before relationship entered the scene.

2. Ras Kimono recently celebrated his 60th birthday about a few weeks ago and now he is dead. This means Ras Kimono was 60 years old when he died.

3. He had about 3 wives, we do not know if he had them all at the same time, or divorced one and married another.

4. The hit songs of Ras kimono are: Kill apartheid, Slavery Days, and rumours of mongers.

5. No one can easily point to when he started singing or when he is career fully started, but his breakthrough came in 1989 when he released the album “Gwan in 2007 and Under Pressure in 2010.

6. Ras kimono was born in Nigeria, Delta State, Warri to precise and he moved to Lagos to.

7. Ras Kimono Last Interview was with Premium Times Nigerian Online Newspapers on July 30th 2017.

Source: http://kikiotolu.com/7-things-you-do-not-know-about-late-ras-kimono/

Under pressure was released in 1989, not 2010
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by olametrix(m): 7:31pm On Jun 10, 2018
Thanx, but guy is that food u put for your profile na whr u buy am i dey crav am now

tredax66:
No his from uganda..
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by Platony(m): 7:36pm On Jun 10, 2018
nowpresence:
what is his state of origin

Delta
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by patexcool(f): 7:37pm On Jun 10, 2018
you know no nothing about this man. stop distracting people with ur bla Bla bla cooked up stories

RIP legend

1 Like

Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by histemple: 7:39pm On Jun 10, 2018
Quickjobs:

1. Ras kimono has about 5 children according to report, his last born was given birth in the year 2013 in Lagos, Nigeria by his third wife, her name is Efe and he used to be his music manager before relationship entered the scene.

2. Ras Kimono recently celebrated his 60th birthday about a few weeks ago and now he is dead. This means Ras Kimono was 60 years old when he died.

3. He had about 3 wives, we do not know if he had them all at the same time, or divorced one and married another.

4. The hit songs of Ras kimono are: Kill apartheid, Slavery Days, and rumours of mongers.

5. No one can easily point to when he started singing or when he is career fully started, but his breakthrough came in 1989 when he released the album “Gwan in 2007 and Under Pressure in 2010.

6. Ras kimono was born in Nigeria, Delta State, Warri to precise and he moved to Lagos to.

7. Ras Kimono Last Interview was with Premium Times Nigerian Online Newspapers on July 30th 2017.

Which weed did you take that made you to say Raskimono released Under pressure in 2010?

This only confirms that you are a copy and paste journalist. Under Pressure was released in June 1989.

1 Like

Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by Abagworo(m): 7:56pm On Jun 10, 2018
He is also an Igbo man
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by dominion001(m): 7:56pm On Jun 10, 2018
stano2:
under pressure we wail under pressure
under pressure black people under pressure
under pressure Nigerians under pressure
under pressure Africans under pressure

No food in we belly
No money in ah we pocket
No bed we lay we head

the people dem are suffer
in ah ghetto, in ah city
everywhere dah me go oh
me see them, some are cry, some are die
some are weeping! some are wailing!
everywhere dah oh eh

Ah rhumba stylee. Stylee
Ah rhumba stylee. Stylee
This ah wanna rhumba Rumba
Ah rhumba stylee. Stylee
Ah rhumba stylee. Stylee
This ah wanna rhumba Rhumba
cry cry He will be missed
Still got his album at home.... RIP Ras Kimono
na under this administration that under pressure song make sense.

2 Likes

Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by HaneefahRN(f): 7:59pm On Jun 10, 2018
This OP must be high. So incoherent.
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by placeofallure(f): 8:01pm On Jun 10, 2018
stano2:

Ah rhumba stylee. Stylee
Ah rhumba stylee. Stylee
This ah wanna rhumba Rumba
Ah rhumba stylee. Stylee
Ah rhumba stylee. Stylee
This ah wanna rhumba Rhumba
cry cry He will be missed
Still got his album at home.... RIP Ras Kimono
I remember I was in Junior high and we used to twist the rhumba style lyrics :
Ah rhumba style... Stylee
Babangida must go... Must go o
RIP Legend!

1 Like

Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by petitejolie(f): 8:32pm On Jun 10, 2018
I am not understanding o. I was born in d 90s nd it was den I knew raskimono ND his under pressure song, ayagayagayagayo, ND now dis one is saying 2007 ND 2010. This one no sabi book o
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by Billygene: 8:51pm On Jun 10, 2018
Quickjobs:

You definitely do not know Ras Kimono
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by CDCEO001: 8:58pm On Jun 10, 2018
You clearly don't know anything about Ras Kimono, you just want to write something.

1 Like

Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by solepager(m): 9:05pm On Jun 10, 2018
Quickjobs:

Lol. Oh I thought the calculation was 70 years. Yeye

Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by jagbajantus: 9:08pm On Jun 10, 2018
RAS KIMONO

Though born in another Delta town, he was a native of Onicha-Olona (the Anioma Area of Delta State). That's where his parents hail from.
Ras was on his way to the US to attend to some pressing medical condition but unfortunately, he couldn't make it to his destination.
Nigeria leaders need to build up-to-date hospitals and invest in power and needed infrastructure instead of embezzling millions of Nigerian money.
R.I.P.

2 Likes

Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by phase1: 9:16pm On Jun 10, 2018
I'm really heartbroken that legendary Ras kimono is gone. A man who made my childhood very interesting. I remember dancing to his songs those days in front of TV. Under pressure, rumba style, natty get jail. Infact I played his nostalgic music today while going to church.

Kai! Death na you be this?

Those days when Nigerians didn't care about tribe and ethnicity. For decades I never knew he was Igbo until TODAY. He never emphasis his tribe too. We didn't care, we just enjoyed good music.

It's a pity he didn't live to see a better Nigeria that always sang about.

A legend has left us. Today is not a good day.

3 Likes

Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by derrydinny: 9:24pm On Jun 10, 2018
I heard he married his sister, his mothers last child
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by xreal: 9:42pm On Jun 10, 2018
Quickjobs:

Was Raski gay?
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by BENEAMATA: 9:42pm On Jun 10, 2018
SINGING ; i look at the window , at the political jingoes but are them 're really readyyy ? , to change tha system . . . . I'm your rubbadub - MASTER ! ! ! Inna your - AREAaaaahh ! ! ! Rest In Peace Brother .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by RenzoFunds(m): 9:45pm On Jun 10, 2018
He was from the land of IKA not Warriors please.
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by SUNNINO(m): 9:50pm On Jun 10, 2018
Stop feeding people with lies, with these you nothing about him. This indomie generation.
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by Awoo88: 10:06pm On Jun 10, 2018
Open your number 5 point is very wrong
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by dafuturis(m): 10:19pm On Jun 10, 2018
RenzoFunds:
He was from the land of IKA not Warriors please.

Don't mind the developers
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by isybeke(f): 10:25pm On Jun 10, 2018
May his soul rest in peace
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by Josephjnr(m): 10:28pm On Jun 10, 2018
myners007:
This op must be high, Mod so u guys don't verify post before pushing them to front page. Op was using he instead of she when referring to his last wife as well as stating that he released his hit songs in 2007 and 2010 respectively. I'm supremely confident that the mod who moved this topic has taken more substance than the op. Say no to drug abuse or alcohol abuse.

U get mouth die. Hahahahaha!
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by osobase01(m): 10:31pm On Jun 10, 2018
olametrix:
Please is he also from nigeria? Innocent question
Waiting for answer
am not sure you checked number 6
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by kayalla(f): 10:45pm On Jun 10, 2018
RIP
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by malaria(f): 11:13pm On Jun 10, 2018
BENEAMATA:
SINGING ; i look at the window , at the political jingoes but are them 're really readyyy ? , to change tha system . . . . I'm your rubbadub - MASTER ! ! ! Inna your - AREAaaaahh ! ! ! Rest In Peace Brother .
. Reminds me of good old days
Re: Dead Ras Kimono: 7 Things You Do Not Know About The Late Reggae Artiste by Franking: 11:39pm On Jun 10, 2018
Whoever wrote this nonsense needs to go back to school.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cossy Ojiakor Shares Video With Obesere As ''Nigeria's Sexiest Video Vixen' / Speed Darlington Caught Sniffing Female Panties / M.I Abaga Shades P-square

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.