Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,341 members, 7,888,083 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 06:57 PM

Revisiting The Case Of Clifford Orji And His Cohorts -the Cannibals - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Revisiting The Case Of Clifford Orji And His Cohorts -the Cannibals (1006 Views)

The Story Of Clifford Orji, The 'mad Man' Who Killed And Ate His Victims (video) / Follow Up: Nigerian Locked Up for the Case of Rape —The Walk, The End. / Man From Niger Republic And His Cohorts Caught Stealing Cable Wires In Imo. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Revisiting The Case Of Clifford Orji And His Cohorts -the Cannibals by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jun 11, 2018
Of all the mysteries surrounding the capture of the Lagos “man-eater”, the fate of the missing heads is the most disturbing. Clifford Orji was caught frying up human feet and ribs for breakfast under a city flyover. Severed hands lay about the place. There was even a policeman’s helmet resting on some bones. But days later the skulls of his uncounted victims are still nowhere to be found.

Joseph Bello stumbled on the cannibal as he walked home after a night vigil at a local church. Bello heard a strange song from bushes next to the flyover and noticed a shack built of car tyres. As he moved closer, the odd smell of cooking flesh hit his nostrils. He peeped into the shack. “When I saw human limbs and other parts roasting on the fire I was transfixed,” he said.

Bello alerted other people around the underpass. A crowd gathered and burst into the shack. They were confronted by severed feet and rib cages, and chunks of flesh.

Orji ran. The crowd gave chase.

No one noticed a small, emaciated woman imprisoned inside the tyres of Orji’s shack. It was only after he was caught and dragged back to watch the mob demolish his home that Awawu Lawal was discovered awaiting her turn on the menu. The sight of the filthy, starving woman drove the crowd wild. They beat her captor until the police arrived. Lawal died several days later after falling into a coma.

The crowd then turned their attention to a man they knew to be Orji’s friend, Tahiru Aliyu. He lived nearby. The mob tore his shack down too, and found a 4m pit underneath where some of the victims were kept before they were killed and cooked.

Orji, who is in his 30s, was sometimes seen wandering naked or chasing complete strangers, ranting at them and waving a stick. Despite his thick matted hair and filthy clothes he managed to convince some people that he was a traditional healer, which may be how he lured his victims.

The cannibal told the police he would entrance women by blowing on their foreheads and they would then follow him back to the underpass. “I will have a sexual affair with her to a state of coma before we slaughter her and roast,” he said. “I am not alone. I have between four and 10 people. They take their own parts and go while I wait for another `meat’.”

Orji’s statement to the police has fuelled speculation that he was butchering his victims for more than his own consumption. People in the area said they regularly saw upmarket cars stopping beneath the flyover. To some it explains why none of the victims heads have been found.

In Nigeria there is a discreet trade in body parts for religious or medicinal ceremonies. The case has disturbing echoes of earlier killings when a man called Innocent Ikeanyanwu was discovered with the head of a 10-year-old boy.

In police detention he said he had been regularly shipping severed heads to some highly placed Nigerians for ancient rituals. But before he could name names, Ikeanyanwu died in custody of “cardiac arrest”.

A fortnight after the arrest of Orji and his partner, the flyover has become a tourist site. Lagosians are selling pictures of the human remains on the grills and calendars of the cannibal and his friend. Orji is confined to the Yaba Psychiatric hospital. The police are suspicious of the claim he is insane in part because he told them he was “mad”.

https://mg.co.za/article/1999-03-12-nigerian-cannibal-caught-red-handed

My questions are:

How would a 'mad man' claim he was 'mad' and the police believed him?

Why wasn't Clifford Orji ever trialed?

Who where his other colleagues that where never caught?

What became to Tahiru Aliyu after?

The case was swept under the carpet while Tinubu was the governor of Lagos. Obviously, if Tinubu had his hands in the activities of the cannibal, he wouldn't want him to died while he was the govern of the state. He would prefer he die in hands of a successor whom he had control over. Was that why Fashola was chosen?

WHY DID THE LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT DID NOTHING TO BRING THIS MAN TO JUSTICE? THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A BIG STRIDE FOR THE THEN GOVERNMENT YET THEY AVOIDED IT!

(1) (Reply)

Togolese Cook Reveals How He Killed Chief Ope Bademosi / Popular Musician Gets Stuck Inside Married Woman / A Young Nigerian Facebook User Commits Suicide Months After Writing About Depres

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.