Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,154 members, 7,890,900 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 11:38 PM

Who Should Pound The Yam? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Who Should Pound The Yam? (5008 Views)

Would You Eat This Strange Looking Yam(photos) / How To Make Yam Balls / Pictures Of A Yam That Resembles A Folded Fist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Should Pound The Yam? by Zebedee(m): 6:20pm On Mar 22, 2007
talk about values. who gets to pound the yam when it is ready. the man or the woman?
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by monshege: 7:49pm On Mar 22, 2007
the stronger one among the two shocked
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by LoverBwoy(m): 7:56pm On Mar 22, 2007
I don't think it's necessarily about the strength, its also about techniques
However much you pound the yam the woman will always complain about something
So you leave it to them cheesy
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by monshege: 8:54pm On Mar 22, 2007
LoverBwoy:

I don't think it's necessarily about the strength, its also about techniques
However much you pound the yam the woman will always complain about something
So you leave it to them cheesy

true talk except that they would not pound it the way we want it

women always have something to complain about, if you doubt me, come to my house
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by spoilt(f): 2:06am On Mar 23, 2007
its ironic that men are stronger yet women do all the tough work! grin grin
a note to women . if you must pound yam please wear 4 bras!!!!!
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by 4Play(m): 2:13am On Mar 23, 2007
Can someone explain to me what men in the olden days did from morning to nite? They couldn't be farming cos you don't farm all year .
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by monshege: 2:32am On Mar 23, 2007
4 Play:

Can someone explain to me what men in the olden days did from morning to night? They couldn't be farming because you don't farm all year .

it has come to my notice that they do actually farm all year round from morning to night, except you are in another kind of business. there are different crops for different farming season and there are different things to do at each particular farming season. could be that it is time for weeding, could be it is time for planting yam or cassava or cocoyam or any other plant. could be it is time for harvesting, could be it is time for, point is, farming for farmers take their time all year from morning to night
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by 4Play(m): 2:45am On Mar 23, 2007
monshege:

it has come to my notice that they do actually farm all year round from morning to night, except you are in another kind of business.
Are you a farmer?There is no way they farm all year round from morning to night

monshege:

there are different crops for different farming season and there are different things to do at each particular farming season. could be that it is time for weeding, could be it is time for planting yam or cassava or cocoyam or any other plant. could be it is time for harvesting, could be it is time for, point is, farming for farmers take their time all year from morning to night
People in the olden days did not have large industrial farms.They had relatively small farms.Remember,there are 365 days in year.

Weeding of those small farms can be performed once every 2 weeks.Planting generally takes a day,at worse a couple of days.Harvesting takes the longest amount of time and at worse 5 days.

All the above may take an average of 40-60 days out of 365.So what did the men do for the remaining 300 days.Besides,in some cases women did most of the farming

Nobody has come up with a good answer as to what men did all day long in the past     

PS:I forgot to add digging up ridges,that can take a couple of days
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by spoilt(f): 2:55am On Mar 23, 2007
they sat around and plotted how to marry more wives! grin
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by monshege: 3:00am On Mar 23, 2007
4play,
[Are you a farmer?There is no way they farm all year round from morning to night]

its hard to believe but they actually do farm all year round from morning to night. dont forget, even if they are not working on their farm, they are helping a friend, or family member or some other person.

[People in the olden days did not have large industrial farms.They had relatively small farms.Remember,there are 365 days in year].
actually the people i know from the olden days did have large farms (both in size and in no). all the places that have houses now or are being populated were all farms. you had the living areas/quarters and then farms were a distance away from those places.

while the women are weeding, the men are slashing with the cutlass. my dear, if you actually know the in and out of farming, you would see how possible it is that they are able to be at that job all year round. if they are done with theirs, there is someone else to be helped, they helped each other, not like today where the motto is "to your own tent oh Isreal"
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by 4Play(m): 3:01am On Mar 23, 2007
spoilt:

they sat around and plotted how to marry more wives!  grin

I saw some research on this a few years ago and it established that men in many parts of Africa did very little work for most of the day.Most of the work were done by women

Most men spent their time drinking palm wine and talking with their friends while the women went to work .

Southern Nigeria is a good example
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by spoilt(f): 3:03am On Mar 23, 2007
@ 4 play
thanks for telling them something i already knew! men rode bicycles to the farm and worked only a few hours while the women trekked there on foot to do all the work and come back later with all the load on her head!
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by 4Play(m): 3:08am On Mar 23, 2007
monshege:

actually the people i know from the olden days did have large farms (both in size and in no). all the places that have houses now or are being populated were all farms. you had the living areas/quarters and then farms were a distance away from those places.
Actually,the average household did not have massive industrial farms.I lived in a village all my childhood and I have a pretty good idea of the size of the average farm.It was relatively small and the weeding,the building of ridges and the planting could be done in a full day on a household's entire farm

monshege:

while the women are weeding, the men are slashing with the cutlass. my dear, if you actually know the in and out of farming, you would see how possible it is that they are able to be at that job all year round. if they are done with theirs, there is someone else to be helped, they helped each other, not like today where the motto is "to your own tent oh Isreal"

All this is laughable.Helping people did not take up most of their time.Pooling labor resources as you suggest would only lead to lesser working time.So if you what you are saying is true,they could be spending as little as 30 days a year on farming
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by LoverBwoy(m): 3:09am On Mar 23, 2007
4 Play:

I saw some research on this a few years ago and it established that men in many parts of Africa did very little work for most of the day.Most of the work were done by women

Most men spent their time drinking palm wine and talking with their friends while the women went to work .

Southern Nigeria is a good example

still happens in (rural)kenya!  cheesy
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by 4Play(m): 3:20am On Mar 23, 2007
LoverBwoy:

still happens in (rural)kenya!  cheesy

The story I saw began with those parts of Africa that still live a primordial existence.It was noticed that the men did relatively little work compared to the women.When this was compared to Southern Nigeria in the past, a similar trend was discovered.

I grew up in a village and tried to figure out what men where doing in the past and never got a satisfactory answer.This modern day practice of going to work 5 days a week is entirely new.In the past,in most parts of Africa there was relatively little work to be done
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by LoverBwoy(m): 3:28am On Mar 23, 2007
True i think people then were more satisfied about what they had, they cows were some few metres away, the farm is behind the house, who cares what the seychelles looks like when theres river akwa 10miles away, who wants marble floors and golden bathtubs

As long as they rain season comes regularly people were relatively happy plenty time with the wives and kids grin
I think i shoudl retire to some village back home enjoy fresh fruit and sit on me backside more cheesy
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by monshege: 3:34am On Mar 23, 2007
4 Play:

I lived in a village all my childhood and I have a pretty good idea of the size of the average farm.

@4play
you lived in the village in recent time. you are asking of olden days

@Loverbwoy
that might have worked for them in the past, but try visiting the village in this new age and see if you can pass a building without someone staring at you with a wrong eye or trying to rob you of your belongings. if you still wanna go, might help you carry your belongings. problem is you dont really want to.
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by 4Play(m): 3:36am On Mar 23, 2007
@monshege

You wey no grow up in a village,how you u sabi wetin dey happen for olden days?Living in the village puts me in a better postion to find out how life was in the past
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by monshege: 3:52am On Mar 23, 2007
4 Play:

@monshege

You wey no grow up in a village,how you u sabi wetin dey happen for olden days?Living in the village puts me in a better postion to find out how life was in the past

hahaha how you take know say i no live for village, howeer, i dont need to live for village to know wetin dey happen there. i may just be good in getting details about people in the village or i may have studied village life grin
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by 4Play(m): 3:56am On Mar 23, 2007
monshege:

Haha how you take know say i no live for village,

I could tell from your response that you did not grow up in your villa grin

I grew up in a village and used to go farming so am talking from personal experience.In just one day we could clear up the land,create the ridges and then plant the crops.We will then return every once in a while to check the crops and remove any weeds that were growing.True story grin

Believe me it was not hard work grin
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by monshege: 4:01am On Mar 23, 2007
4 Play:

I could tell from your response that you did not grow up in your villa grin

I grew up in a village and used to go farming so am talking from personal experience.In just one day we could clear up the land,create the ridges and then plant the crops.We will then return every once in a while to check the crops and remove any weeds that were growing.True story grin

Believe me it was not hard work grin

not hard work? shocked lai lai oh wait, you said the farm wasnt that big. for you to do all those in one day must mean the land is not that big. did you come from a big family? that helps too. smiley for a second there, i was remembering the farm we had in the village, and i was imagining saying "it was not hard work".
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by Seun(m): 8:45am On Mar 23, 2007
Educated people don't actually pound yam anymore. They use yam powder which is as easy to prepare as eba.
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by Zebedee(m): 3:29pm On Mar 23, 2007
@seun
how educated must u be to use yam powder like you suggested? are you talking about education or the means. moreover the powder does not actually taste like the main thing. if e no be panadol e no fit be like panadol!!!!!!!!!!!

in my village men do the pounding and i guess you would like to know my village rite?
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Mar 23, 2007
Seun:

Educated people don't actually pound yam anymore. They use yam powder which is as easy to prepare as eba.

Education has nothing to do with yam pounding. I learnt to pound yam, it was not bad afterall.
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by OmoEko1(f): 6:56pm On Mar 23, 2007
Seun:

ewwwww that one powder  taste like fufu, it doesn't taste nothing like  the real pounded yam.
This powder pounded yam makes people gain weight
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:58pm On Mar 23, 2007
My dad does the pounding of the yam. He will never have it any other way.

My mom doesnt even bother.
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by Seun(m): 7:12pm On Mar 23, 2007
There are various types of Yam powder. There's one we use that tastes exactly like pounded yam.
21st century people Nigerians won't waste their energy pounding yam when yam powder can do the job perfectly. wink
My family is an Ijesha family, so pounded yam is very important to us. With yam powder, we can have it every day!!
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Mar 23, 2007
Yam powder will never be as good as real pounded yam. Try pounding yam using the Minna yam, u wont touch that powder again.
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by omoge(f): 8:02pm On Mar 23, 2007
my dad does sometimes, my mom does sometimes, and I do if both aren't home. my brother who should be helping me is too busy argueing with me about the soup not having enough salt,  grin

I'd prefer the man to pound while the lady do the eating,

at this stage, i use yam powder if i feel like eating pounded yam. no mortar and pestle around here and don't want anyone calling 911 (hello operator, i'm trying to report some lady from africa bugging us with bad sound of music gbi gbi gbi grin)

yeah, the TIV are good at leaving the work to their wives, real good example, the women farm HEFTY yams, HUGE RIDGE AND HEAPS for the yam, that's the Tiv woman,

omo Eko, i agree with you, the powdered yam seems heavy after eating it, don't know what they added o.
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by Seun(m): 8:06pm On Mar 23, 2007
Try pounding yam using the Minna yam, u wont touch that powder again.
Actually, a yam powder made from Minna yam should taste like the pounded yam made from it. Welcome to 2007!
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Mar 23, 2007
Seun:

Actually, a yam powder made from Minna yam should taste like the pounded yam made from it. Welcome to 2007!

really? Is the use of yam powder synonymous with civilisation?
Re: Who Should Pound The Yam? by Seun(m): 8:22pm On Mar 23, 2007
Yes, because a civilised man will not suffer his wife to pound yam when yam powder does the job perfectly well. wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

12.5KG Gas Cylinder for 7500 firm / The Buffet Menu / Are U A Professional Or A Starter In Cake Baking?let's Bake& Post Our Cake Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.