Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,132 members, 7,896,844 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 11:12 PM

BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops (27940 Views)

Lagos Launches New Buses With Free Service On Five Routes / New Buses That Will Replace Danfo In Lagos State Are Gradually Arriving / Edo Mass Transit: 75 New Buses, Ultra-modern Terminals, Cashless Payment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops by dabossman(m): 11:37am On Jun 19, 2018
skarlett:

Well, that's what the planning is for isn't it? The governor should stop using band aids for gaping sores. It's obvious buying buses upandan is not really helping with the traffic congestion, if he really wants to be remembered for something, then underground stations are not impossible. Its not to be buying buses that in the next five years the next government will buy another set and on and on ad nauseam

Actually, surface trains are a better option for Lagos at this time, and the state government has been working on that, only that it's taking too long to complete. It will cost too much to start working on underground trains in an already condensed state like Lagos. Let's not add more collapsed buildings to our problems. Also, remember that many parts of Lagos is on a low water plane.

To the best of my knowledge, I don't think they have underground trains in the Netherlands.

1 Like

Re: BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops by pedrilo: 11:45am On Jun 19, 2018
instead of buying from brazil and boosting their economy, why not buy from INNOSON and boost the nigerian economy?
our govt dnt even bliv in BUY NAIJA TO GROW THE NAIRA
Re: BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops by chuksanambra: 12:07pm On Jun 19, 2018
pedrilo:
instead of buying from brazil and boosting their economy, why not buy from INNOSON and boost the nigerian economy?
our govt dnt even bliv in BUY NAIJA TO GROW THE NAIRA

If Lagos orders 5,000 buses from Innoson, he would deliver 50 and forge documents that he delivered 5,000.

Innoson is a criminal and a fraudster. He forged customs documents to clear his goods and avoid payment of customs duties and won't stop now.

Besides, Innoson's vehicles are cheap imitations of other brands. Lagos does quality, not quantity. Even in Anambra state, Obiano doesn't have a single Innoson vehicle in his convoy. He doesn't want wahala.

3 Likes

Re: BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jun 19, 2018
dabossman:

Actually, surface trains are a better option for Lagos at this time, and the state government has been working on that, only that it's taking too long to complete. It will cost too much to start working on underground trains in an already condensed state like Lagos. Let's not add more collapsed buildings to our problems. Also, remember that many parts of Lagos is on a low water plane.

To the best of my knowledge, I don't think they have underground trains in the Netherlands.

The surface trains I see look so dirty and unkempt with overcrowded coaches and people hanging on all over like their life means nothing. I cannot ever dream of entering that kind of train. Why I said underground is that people will be more wary of hanging on like they do on the surface trains
Re: BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jun 19, 2018
LaudableXX:

All these speeches by Lagos state govt concerning these new buses, is all talk, and plenty hype. angry The red BRT LAGBUS buses were also sparkling new at one time, before they became the ugly, scrappy, worn out, badly maintained vehicles, we currently see on our roads. sad The condition of the blue BRT buses is just marginally better, than those of its red counterparts.

I have always said one thing: our greatest drawback has always been in the area of maintenance. angry Our people, state and local govts have a very poor maintenance culture. And those charged with the operation and maintenance of these buses, never learn from the failures of previous bus schemes that had fallen apart, before their arrival. Anyway, I wish all commuters a happy ride on these new set of buses, before they fall into a state of disrepair. I give these new buses, another 18 months before they turn into rickety, worn-out metal contraptions like their predecessors. undecided

Seek knowledge before commenting, LASG ended it contract with the managers of the Red BRT Buses and currently has no affiliation with the state. He current Blue BRT buses operational in the metropolis are privately managed by an “independent” body called Primero ! More like a franchise, we expect the same arrangements for the new Buses and there are employees whose job is to wash and clean the cars. I don’t have information on areas such as wear and tear.

Regards,

Fiyin.

1 Like

Re: BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops by sammyscholar(m): 1:47pm On Jun 19, 2018
skarlett:
Ambode the bus stop and bus governor should look into other areas of transportation biko. With the population density in Lagos, underground trains as alternative means of transportation would be better because it would reduce the stress of traffic. He should stop buying buses and adding to the road congestion and instead provide other means of transport.
you have point saying they should improve rail transportation in the state. But you allowed mediocrity to eat you up by saying they should stop buying new buses.
Re: BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jun 19, 2018
issaGOAAAAAAL
Re: BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops by Iolo(m): 4:59pm On Jun 19, 2018
skarlett:

The surface trains I see look so dirty and unkempt with overcrowded coaches and people hanging on all over like their life means nothing. I cannot ever dream of entering that kind of train. Why I said underground is that people will be more wary of hanging on like they do on the surface trains

To clarify, these trains are FG property and run by the NRC and not LASG.

Underground isn't a bad idea but we can't afford that for now. An underground subway can cost upwards of $1bn per KM, and considering Lagos is mostly low lying wetlands, bringing it here would be more expensive.
Re: BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops by bigerboy200: 8:05pm On Jun 19, 2018
Iolo:

To clarify, these trains are FG property and run by the NRC and not LASG.

Underground isn't a bad idea but we can't afford that for now. An underground subway can cost upwards of $1bn per KM, and considering Lagos is mostly low lying wetlands, bringing it here would be more expensive.
excuses excuses... it's just because we really never had visionary leaders...if the underground subway was underway let's say 30,40 years ago, we would have gone past the the issue of cost(if it truly costs 1bn dollars or more), the debts would have been fully paid and masses enjoying good transport system, massive profits would be made and maintenance would be well taken care of. Bad leaders with empty heads brought us to the deplorable state wee are. Though the buses are a fantastic idea, it won't solve the issue of "time wasting" in traffic. Only the fast train system can significantly solve the problem.
Re: BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops by CioAngels(f): 8:24pm On Jun 19, 2018
Buying new buses are not the problem, but maintenance. This new ones will go same way as the Red and the current Blue buses. Mr Ambode, are these new buses going to be managed by Tinubu and Fola? if yes, heading for another money going to waste for no care. Workers waste manhours standing on the queue for hours waiting for bus to come, is either they don't have fuel or tyres are hot. All our leaders care about is how they can steal not how much they will think of the betterment of the masses. It is so sad that anything they grudgingly give to masses they must put them to torture before they get it.
Re: BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops by LaudableXX: 11:36pm On Jun 19, 2018
Fiyinfoluwa20:
Seek knowledge before commenting, LASG ended it contract with the managers of the Red BRT Buses and currently has no affiliation with the state. He current Blue BRT buses operational in the metropolis are privately managed by an “independent” body called Primero ! More like a franchise, we expect the same arrangements for the new Buses and there are employees whose job is to wash and clean the cars. I don’t have information on areas such as wear and tear.

Regards,

Fiyin.
Nobody asked you for a long PR epistle, in defence of LASG. sad LAGBUS is the owner of the red BRT buses. LAGBUS is an arm of LASG that supervises owners of the franchises that run the red BRT buses, which were bought by LASG. Even before LASG ended its contract with the franchise owners of the red BRT buses, those buses had shown extensive signs of wear and tear. They had been poorly managed and maintained. undecided A thousand denials from your end, will not change that fact. Public and private assets in general in Nigeria, are poorly maintained. The culture of preventive maintenance and continuous optimal technical support, appears alien to our service culture, in this country at both the govt level and private individual level.

LAGBUS started operations on the 17th of February 2007. LAGBUS was created out of the experience of Lagos state over the years to assist in alleviating the transportation issues in the state. With over 500 buses and 40 routes currently in operation, we operate a prepaid and on-the-bus ticketing service available in different denominations on our different routes. There are currently ten (10) franchisees operating a total of 238 buses operating on 17 routes under the Route Franchise scheme in Lagos state, and 23 newly approved franchisees by the Lagos State Executive Council http://www.lagbus.com.ng/index.html; http://www.lagbus.com.ng/Franchises.html

While the LAGBUS is largely run by the Lagos State Government, through the LAGBUS Asset Management Limited, with the use of vehicles owned by the government and some franchises, the BRT scheme is being managed by the Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority for the state chapter of the National Union of Road Transport Workers.

Kunle Arowojobe, who works at Wharf, Apapa, recalled that the bus drivers for BRT and LAGBUS buses once looked neat and smart in their uniforms. But Arowojobe’s opinion of the bus services has, however, waned a few years into their operation. Arowojobe, who takes the BRT from Ojota to Ojuelegba on most mornings to connect Apapa, added that the buses are not being well-maintained.

He said, “When the buses first started operations in Lagos , they were okay; then, the bus officials wore neat uniforms, but it is no longer like that. Some of the drivers and ticket sellers now look rough. They are not maintaining the buses and not buying new ones.”

Speaking to Saturday PUNCH, Chukwuneta identified poor maintenance culture as a major challenge confronting the country, saying, “It was pageantry when the BRT scheme kicked off; Lagos residents greeted it with a sigh of relief but the evil of our poor maintenance culture seems to be rearing its ugly head barely a few years after the scheme was launched. Nobody is mandating them to buy new fleets but the ones on the road should be given maximum maintenance.

“LAMATA is busy counting money without realising that the goose that lays the golden egg should be kept in healthy condition. These vehicles should be taken for routine maintenance because 95 per cent of them are in dire need of panel beating.

“I don’t think the supervisors embark on supervision, or take opinion polls to ascertain the feelings of the commuters. The BRT buses on these roads are eyesores and glorified Molues in actuality. With drivers that compete with Danfo (commercial) drivers in recklessness, they hardly keep to their lanes and are ever in mufti clothes. The whole scheme requires acute revamping.” http://www.thegazellenews.com/2013/07/20/lagos-brt-buses-now-glorified-molues-commuters/
Re: BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops by LaudableXX: 11:38pm On Jun 19, 2018
SawOnPedia:
Also, an arrangement is also being firmed up as part of the short-term plan for the buses to be assembled in Lagos, which would, in turn, create jobs for the people, and as well serve to properly maintain the buses.

if only yall really read these posts
Story, story....when it actually happens, we would believe them. All these so-called 'arrangements' that take ages to materialize, and add little benefit to the masses. That was how they started the Visionscape fiasco....arrangement, my left foot!
Re: BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops by LaudableXX: 11:40pm On Jun 19, 2018
Afamed:
It's important you do your findings before coming on line . The BRT buses are never the red buses but the Blue buses with 24hr AC , Tv and free wifi. Don't just comment because of your hatred and ignorance.
Keep kwayiet dia! angry What year did you come to Lagos? shocked The red BRT buses were initially operated by an arm of the Lagos state govt, called LAGBUS before they opted out of it. By that time, those buses had started becoming rickety moving contraptions! Stop your cluelessness and seek enlightenment, abeg! sad

In 2004, the Lagos State Government came up some ideas that was in the original Mass Transit without Tears dossier, and decided to sanitize the commercial road transportation in Lagos State. LAMATA was born, LAGBUS was born and the BRT was born and it was to be discovered that almost everything propagated by the Mass Transit without Tears idea was in the BRT except for the segregated lane. The rest is history now. http://www.lagbus.com.ng/lagbus_mega_city_transport.html

The Lagos State Transport Corporation (LSTC) was a state owned company that ran transport services in Lagos.

When Governor Bola Tinubu assumed office in 1999, he ordered an audit of the corporation and inspected their depots. He discovered that top management staff had been illegally selling the corporation’s buses. Rasaki’s coaster buses where listed as being beyond repair on the corporation’s books, whereas, in reality, they were in good working order.

Today, LAGBUS Asset Management Limited, operator of Red Buses, started operations on the 17th February 2007 with 500 buses and 29 routes. LAGBUS is supposed to provide mass transportation for the teeming population of Lagos commuters. The scheme, in recent times had been faced with a myriad of challenges such as depletion of fleet due to lack of adequate maintenance by management and technical know how. At various garages of LAGBUS, decrepit buses line up the entire space.

Today, LAGBUS cannot boast of 200 buses in its fleet. LAGBUS workers have dropped from 350 to about 120 due to systematic sack and poor working condition while contract/casual workers are presently about 550, it was gathered. It is believed that the manner LAGBUS is being run presently, it might end up in the way Lagos State Transport Corporation, LSTC, and be rested soon. It was also learnt that LAGBUS has a very disorganized human resources unit.

The state government recently, unfolded plans to boost the existing fleet of Bus Franchise Scheme, BFS, operator of LAGBUS with the introduction of 10,000 new buses and taxis to be distributed across the 20 local government areas and 37 local council development areas in the state by next year. Meantime, commuters across Lagos metropolis have criticised what they called the “shoddy arrangement” in the operation of LAGBUS.
Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/03/is-lagbus-going-the-way-of-lstc/
Re: BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops by LaudableXX: 11:55pm On Jun 19, 2018
fyneguy:
You are a liar.

There is nothing wrong with the blue buses. The red buses are the badly managed ones which I understand will soon be phased out
No sir, you are the one born with massive lying genes. sad Tell us how many BRT buses you have taken, and on which routes. In Lagos alone, there are over 54 intra-city or intra-state routes, plied by the BRT buses. Are all the buses on each route, in the same condition? My post dealt with the condition of the red BRT buses and I confirmed the blue BRT buses were marginally better. Or don't you understand the meaning of the word 'better' anymore?
Re: BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops by LaudableXX: 11:59pm On Jun 19, 2018
sparko1:
What were you expecting, the buses should remain the same, they shouldn't get old? Some of those buses are from Fashola's first term, over 8 years! If things get old, new ones come, it's not a train!
Nobody is saying they shouldn't get old. undecided Vehicles can be old, but remain well-maintained and functional, so that commuters can have a smooth ride. Apart from that, most fleet owners refresh their fleets by injecting new buses into their routes at different intervals, while withdrawing the aging and decrepit ones from circulation. Now, why can't LAGBUS do the same?
Re: BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops by LaudableXX: 12:06am On Jun 20, 2018
skarlett:
Ambode the bus stop and bus governor should look into other areas of transportation biko. With the population density in Lagos, underground trains as alternative means of transportation would be better because it would reduce the stress of traffic. He should stop buying buses and adding to the road congestion and instead provide other means of transport.
Thank you, o! shocked One-third of Lagos is water, with creeks, rivers and lagoons. The efforts put into water transportation is yet to live up to its potential to affect mass transit schemes, positively. sad The concrete jetty at Oworonshoki has been padlocked for over 2 years now. Why? Yet commuters keep entering the gruelling traffic on 3rd mainland bridge, every morning and evening in order to link the Island and Mainland. LASG is concentrating its water transportation schemes in Ikorodu, Ebute-ero and some other areas on the outskirts of Lagos. Why not concentrate water transportation efforts on the Ikoyi/Falomo to Oworonshoki route, or the Maroko to Mile 2 route? The Marina to Apapa route is already been handled successfully by private boat operators.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops by LaudableXX: 12:08am On Jun 20, 2018
switchesNLogics:
Your response is not different from his. He stated categorically that the problem was poor maintenance which you also agreed to by stating that the red buses were poorly maintained. If that is your submission,then there is no need to call him a liar.
May God bless you. cheesy Too many kids on NL, just hit their keyboard without bothering to read the post they are responding to. angry
Re: BRT New Buses Are Coming In Batches To Lagos Bus-Stops by dabossman(m): 9:02am On Jun 20, 2018
skarlett:

You are referring to the old trains. I'm talking about the new trains starting with the one running from Badagry/Okokomaiko to Marina. Trust me, no one is going to be sitting on the roof off that one. Besides, it's the job of the authorities to stop and punish commuters who try such.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Picking Random People On The Highway While Travelling / Pilot Makes Emergency Landing In Sokoto As Tyres Exploded After Take-off / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer Pt. 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.