Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,038 members, 7,886,941 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 05:24 PM

15 Most Careless Interview Mistakes You Should Avoid - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 15 Most Careless Interview Mistakes You Should Avoid (359 Views)

Top Interview Mistakes You Should Avoid / Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid / Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

15 Most Careless Interview Mistakes You Should Avoid by sunnyh: 7:29pm On Jun 23, 2018
Mistakes people makes that are worth being mindful of for your next big interview.

If you’ve ever been on the job hunt, you know how big of a deal landing that first interview can be. I’ve seen some truly “unique” stories around how job interviews get bungled.

Read on for some of the simple, but surprisingly common, mistakes I see people making that are worth being mindful of for your next big interview.
1. Not downloading the app

One of the first questions interviewers ask will always be “What do you know about us?” Being able to say “I downloaded the app” or “I subscribed to the newsletter” goes a long way in that it shows you’re not only doing research into the company, but openly interested in immersing yourself in the product or service. On the flipside, if you didn’t take the time to sign up for the service, you’re putting yourself at risk of not truly knowing how to adequately answer that question.
2. Being negative

With first round interviews, you really only get one first impression. It’s not uncommon to be asked why you’re leaving a job, so it’s important to think of a positive answer around it, and not fall into the easier trap of commenting on negative reasons you’re no longer interested in working there. It’s easy for interviewers to take a negative response and think, Will he be saying that about us in a few months? Positivity should always be the direction you take when interviewing with a potential future employer.

3. Actually just telling them about yourself

All interviewers are going to ask you to tell them about yourself. That’s because they probably didn’t have time to memorize your background, and it’s a great way to let candidates position themselves and see how they do. Open ended questions are a great way to learn. The thing is, they don’t want to know your life story; they want to hear about how your background is relevant to them. If you don’t have a personal narrative, and you haven’t customized it for the role and company, you’re not addressing the question from the right angle.
4. Forgetting Google exists....continue reading

(1) (Reply)

Apply Now: Flour Mills Of Nigeria Plc Recruitment 2018 / Job - Who Can Assist Me? / Reputable Downstream Petroleum Company Now Recruiting (3 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.