Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,688 members, 7,921,472 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 06:23 AM

Wimbledon To Offer Equal Prize Money To Men And Women - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Wimbledon To Offer Equal Prize Money To Men And Women (1248 Views)

Lagos Marathon: List Of Prize Money To Be Given To Every Winner / Murray Beats Djokovic To Win Wimbledon / CAF Yet To Pay Super Eagles AFCON Prize Money - NFF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wimbledon To Offer Equal Prize Money To Men And Women by Seun(m): 9:57am On Mar 24, 2007
The All England Club today announced that it will be offering equal prize money across the board to both men and women players with effect from and including the 2007 Championships.

Announcing the decision, Tim Phillips, Chairman of the All England Club, said: “Tennis is one of the few sports in which women and men compete in the same event at the same time. We believe our decision to offer equal prize money provides a boost for the game as a whole and recognises the enormous contribution that women players make to the game and to Wimbledon. We hope it will also encourage girls who want a career in sport to choose tennis as their best option. In short, good for tennis, good for women players and good for Wimbledon.”

Phillips continued: “When Wimbledon pioneered Open Tennis in 1968, the Men’s Singles Champion, Rod Laver, won £2,000, while Billie Jean King, the Ladies’ Singles Champion, won £750, only 37.5% of the men’s prize.

“Over the years, we have progressively increased the ladies’ prize money, so that last year Amélie Mauresmo, the Ladies’ Champion, received £625,000 – 95% of the money received by Roger Federer, the Men’s Champion.

“As in every other year, the Committee has again analysed all the relevant information and then made a judgement. This year, taking into account both the overall progression and the fact that broader social factors are also relevant to the decision, they have decided that the time is right to bring this subject to a logical conclusion and eliminate the difference. We believe this positive step will be widely welcomed.”

Prize money levels for the 2007 Championships have yet to be decided and will be announced in late April.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/pressreleases/prizemoney.html
Re: Wimbledon To Offer Equal Prize Money To Men And Women by texazzpete(m): 10:15am On Mar 24, 2007
Oh boy! The triumph of the feminists!
Re: Wimbledon To Offer Equal Prize Money To Men And Women by Seun(m): 10:35am On Mar 24, 2007
I see it more as a triumph of capitalism - a recognition of the fact that the woman's game is as lucrative as the men's game, thanks to interesting players like Venus and Serena Williams who are always in the public eye. wink

1 Like

Re: Wimbledon To Offer Equal Prize Money To Men And Women by osegwu(m): 12:20pm On Mar 24, 2007
my baby Serena
Re: Wimbledon To Offer Equal Prize Money To Men And Women by Badman888(m): 12:28pm On Mar 24, 2007
Yea nice move, but why don't the women play a total game of 5 sets to make it equal, they still play their normal 3sets, i thot it was equal right they wanted.
Re: Wimbledon To Offer Equal Prize Money To Men And Women by texazzpete(m): 12:30pm On Mar 24, 2007
Man, after i watched Serena Williams vs Sharapova recently, i'm hooked on Serena! That be one fine black woman grin
Re: Wimbledon To Offer Equal Prize Money To Men And Women by Seun(m): 1:58pm On Mar 24, 2007
Badman888:
Yea nice move, but why don't the women play a total game of 5 sets to make it equal?
Good point, but wouldn't a longer game of tennis be much more boring? Maybe the men should reduce their to 3!
Re: Wimbledon To Offer Equal Prize Money To Men And Women by LoverBwoy(m): 2:15pm On Mar 24, 2007
Feb 22

Who wants a final match of 3 sets? undecided
Re: Wimbledon To Offer Equal Prize Money To Men And Women by osegwu(m): 2:28pm On Mar 24, 2007
texazzpete:

Man, after i watched Serena Williams vs Sharapova recently, i'm hooked on Serena! That be one fine black woman grin

Why do you think I am in love with her?

She is da bomb

(1) (Reply)

Juventus To Bid For Peter Crouch?for More Detail Checkout Www.blogger.com / Arsenal Haters: Where Are You? / Why Goalkeepers Shouldn't Be Too Quick To Celebrate - Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.