Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,785 members, 7,875,950 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 04:28 AM

Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son (18406 Views)

What A Doctor Did When I Accompanied A Female Friend To The Hospital / ''UCH Ibadan Doctors Killed My Wife'' - Man Says (picture) / “how Enugu Doctor ‘killed’ My Son’ – Senator Jim Nwobodo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by tosinaded(m): 10:33am On Jun 09, 2010
The late rap artiste's 2008 model Nissan maxima car ran into a parked lorry in front of Alakara Police station, Mushin and he died on the Thursday April 22, 2010. Issues were raised on the cause of his death and several causes have been reported but Doctors at the hospital where he passed on said he had a heart attacks seven times and he was revived each time but died when he had the eightieth one. He has been buried in a NGN150,000 casket with fans and colleagues turning out in huge numbers even with the change in time from 12 noon to about 9AM when it said.

The news now is his mom, Mrs. Olaonipekun blames the hospital for his death as she informs that “…They also said they didn't have equipment for the stomach x ray. They said that blood started entered his brain but that they will suck it out. They did. They complained that he was not eating. The people at LUTH didn't take good care of him. They gave him different food and his tommy was swollen. The nurses didn't listen to any of the complaint because they claimed we shouldn't teach them their job. They insisted on feeding him through the mouth even when he wasn't digesting it. He gradually deteriorated and was not responding to signs and gestures. He wasn't talking and in the evening of Friday, April 22, 2010 when he died, his body temperature was very high.”

Things you might not know about Da Grin.

Da Grin started out rapping in English but “I decided to rap in Yoruba because I understand it better than English. It is not that I can't do English rap but I want to represent my origin and I rap in my mother tongue. I respect my colleagues that rap in English too”, Dagrin had said.

It must be general knowledge now that Dagrin was a phenomenon at the busy computer village in Ikeja, Lagos as a phone vendor after the release of his first album. Things went really bad then and he needed to survive. If you didn't know, no thank you needed.

He started his music career on LEO records in 2006 where he released his debut album. He was with the label until 2008 when he called it quits. “I left after my contract expired and my first album didn't even enjoy good promotion”, said Dagrin.

After his exit from Leo, he faced serious financial challenges. He forfeited the apartment that had been given to him by his label within their office premises in Magodo and he struggled to get a place of his own so took the '50 cent'( an artiste he takes as a role model) and went all out 'hustling' at the notorious computer village in Ikeja.

The Black Maxima car with which he had the accident was presented to him by his record label, Edlyne Records, and he had also send that the automobile has the customised plate number, Dagrin 03 because two bigger cars were on the way.

Until his death, Dagrin was just a school certificate holder with intentions of going back to school after taking his music career to a desired level.

Friends and colleagues agree that he was a Very respectful & humble before and AFTER he blew…unlike some other artistes.

http://www.modernghana.com/movie/7365/3/da-grins-mom-the-hospital-killed-my-son.html

how good is our health care facility in Nigeria?
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by Kennyblues(m): 12:03pm On Jun 10, 2010
feel your pain mama
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by Ajike: 12:15pm On Jun 10, 2010
hmmmm! the same compalin year in year
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by wazobiang: 12:23pm On Jun 10, 2010
r.i.p.
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by tosinaded(m): 12:27pm On Jun 10, 2010
y wld u feed a patient through the mouth. . .  .after being in coma for days?
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by davidif: 12:52pm On Jun 10, 2010
Goodness, Nigeria's health system needs overall revamping.
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by Orikinla(m): 1:34pm On Jun 10, 2010
Intoxicants and over speeding killed her son.
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by PurestBoy(m): 1:41pm On Jun 10, 2010
@Orinkinla: True talk but no one wants to view it from that perspective.
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by tosinaded(m): 1:52pm On Jun 10, 2010
the boy didnt die on the spot!
he lived for 5days before he died!

if the bolded part in my first post is true. . . . . . . . then our hospitals are worthless
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by aileru(m): 2:06pm On Jun 10, 2010
let us look at it from another angle. what do you want to say about Stella Obasanjo that went for a tommy operation in spain not even an accident also died.
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by ObamaUS: 2:49pm On Jun 10, 2010
Pikin wey dem born well no dey waka for night, what was he doing in the middle of the night and why would he have to go and ram into a parked trailer because of excessive speeding and alcohol,

We have to be careful how we live our lives because we only have one life to live.
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by 9ja4eva: 3:03pm On Jun 10, 2010
ObamaUS:

Pikin wey dem born well no dey waka for night, what was he doing in the middle of the night and why would he have to go and ram into a parked trailer because of excessive speeding and alcohol,

We have to be careful how we live our lives because we only have one life to live.

Word.
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by akigbemaru: 3:05pm On Jun 10, 2010
ObamaUS:

Na "AYO" killed her son oooo, he didn't have accident at popular Shagamu or Ibadan Express Road, he had his accident in Alakara, Mushin. We thanked God that he didn't unleash ugly havoc on pedestrians. On a street that if goes by international standard, motorists should only drive 10 mph and he wrecked his car like that? I guess that is the reason why "Angelis" gave him a serious a/s/s/ whipping down to the Heaven's port of entry for constituting a nuisance that got him killed.
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by tosinaded(m): 3:16pm On Jun 10, 2010
i wonder if some of us really drive on gidi roads. . .
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jun 10, 2010
nigerian doctors watch out seems like a flood of malpractice litigation is headed your way
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by LOVE4BUG(f): 3:33pm On Jun 10, 2010
pity!
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by freshera: 3:44pm On Jun 10, 2010
I think the hospital could have done better. But you never know. Nigerian hospitals are soooooooo starved of equipment and funds. The doctors have got the brains but no equipment and no equipment training.

A political appointee once told me that in Ogun State, nurses who are [size=13pt]chiefs of olodo (in school)[/size] and cannot differentiate between kidney and liver are passed and promoted to the next level if they know somebody e.g. Oba, Chief, Governor, etc shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Maybe DaGrin will still be grinning today cry cry cry if the hospital had the right equipment with sufficiently trained personnel. These things save life and extend people's lifetimes. Lack of equipment is the government fault not doctors' fault. Thats why civilised countries like UK make healthcare free.

Even if you don't pray, your life is automatically elongated by access to good healthcare. You need good health to make money and good health to spend it wellll wink wink wink wink May Nigeria change.
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by seedord247(m): 4:35pm On Jun 10, 2010
Dagrin= Die After Getting Rich In Nigeria
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by eloii: 4:40pm On Jun 10, 2010
Na waooooooooooooh, the person dat kill him, will the person eat all d money. THE WORLD OF JEALOUS. Soooooooooooooooooooorry Mama
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by suxes2005(m): 4:59pm On Jun 10, 2010
@seedord247

mehn u r funnyyyyyyyy but it aint true

Let's b careful on how we live our lives

SHALOM
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by EvilBrain1(m): 5:29pm On Jun 10, 2010
…They also said they didn't have equipment for the stomach x ray. They said that blood started entered his brain but that they will suck it out. They did. They complained that he was not eating. The people at LUTH didn't take good care of him. They gave him different food and his tommy was swollen. The nurses didn't listen to any of the complaint because they claimed we shouldn't teach them their job. They insisted on feeding him through the mouth even when he wasn't digesting it. He gradually deteriorated and was not responding to signs and gestures. He wasn't talking and in the evening of Friday, April 22, 2010 when he died, his body temperature was very high.

I'm a doctor and I can confirm that none of the above jargons makes any sense. The problem in cases like this is that the relatives have no clue what the doctors/nurses are doing and have no way of getting more information about their loved one's condition. The doctors on their part are usually too busy or impatient to explain things properly. The end result of this is the relatives believing some meaningless nonsense like " he died because his tommy was swollen" or "because of the food they were giving".
If he was bleeding into his brain then his "tommy" was the least of his problems. That's a very, very serious complication, and there's often nothing that can be done to help no matter how much equipment the hospital has. Don't believe me, Google "intracerebral hemorrhage" and see for yourself.
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by Tudor6(f): 5:37pm On Jun 10, 2010
If indeed this guy was intoxicated when he had his accident then i have no sympathies for him and say good riddance.

anyone who is drunk with alcohol and decides to drive deserves to die. some months ago I was cruising jejely on my own next thing a car just appeared from nowhere hit me and next thing I was somersaulting like cloth in a dryer. i pretty much thought i was a goner  and was ready to die. somehow i survived but my car was a heap of crap.

imagine my anger when i found out the basterd who tried to kill me was drenched to the bone in alcohol. had the idiot not died on the spot, i woulda killed him myself!

several months later insurance have refused to pay out and i had to get a new car. all this problem because some fool decided to drink and drive.

thank goodness that dagrin fool didnt take an innocent life with him. . . . thank goodness he died alone.
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by cold(m): 6:01pm On Jun 10, 2010
Tudór:

If [/b]indeed this guy was intoxicated when he had his accident then i have no sympathies for him and say good riddance.

anyone who is drunk with alcohol and decides to drive deserves to die. some months ago I was cruising jejely on my own next thing a car just appeared from nowhere hit me and next thing I was somersaulting like cloth in a dryer. i pretty much thought i was a goner  and was ready to die. somehow i survived but my car was a heap of crap.

imagine my anger when i found out the basterd who tried to kill me was drenched to the bone in alcohol. had the idiot not died on the spot, i woulda killed him myself!

several months later insurance have refused to pay out and i had to get a new car. all this problem because some fool decided to drink and drive.

thank goodness that dagrin [b]fool
didnt take an innocent life with him. . . . thank goodness he died alone.
You began with IF & eventually went ahead to rubbish the guy like you were the doctor that handled the case.So far, we have not heard any authenticated report that he was DUI,until then these crucifictions are based on assumptions.
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by eros(m): 6:02pm On Jun 10, 2010
Seriously the hospital contributed to Dagrin's death. Aside from drunk driving which is the obvious cause of the accident. Common the brother was still holding on to life for 5 days, and all the Doctors could say was that they tried their best.

Well, they should thank their stars Dagrin is not related to me, because i would have arranged for thugs to burn down the hospitals and cripple all the doctors and nurses that treated him. Bunch of retarded deviants who careless about people's lives.

You need to be at LUTH or one of those government forsaken hospitals to see how the nurses and some of the Doctors address and treat patients. I almost had one of the security men beaten up when my wife delivered at Isolo general hospital. I vowed never to go to any public hospital again, although the private hospitals are worse off. God help us in Nigeria.
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by davidif: 6:11pm On Jun 10, 2010
those doctors are the product of our awful educational system.
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by eros(m): 6:13pm On Jun 10, 2010
Evil Brain:

I'm a doctor and I can confirm that none of the above jargons makes any sense. The problem in cases like this is that the relatives have no clue what the doctors/nurses are doing and have no way of getting more information about their loved one's condition. The doctors on their part are usually too busy or impatient to explain things properly. The end result of this is the relatives believing some meaningless nonsense like " he died because his tommy was swollen" or "because of the food they were giving".
If he was bleeding into his brain then his "tommy" was the least of his problems. That's a very, very serious complication, and there's often nothing that can be done to help no matter how much equipment the hospital has. Don't believe me, Google "intracerebral hemorrhage" and see for yourself.

With that said Doc, don't you think it is the right of the relative of a patient to know what exactly is happening to their beloved one and what they are doing to correct or treat the problem? Most Doctors think they don't owe the relatives any explanation or like you said are just bloody impatient to explain in DETAIL the true situation of things.

It is very sad the way, Doctors and Nurses play with people's lives and i personally will take any Doctor's life God help him or her if this were to happen to my loved one.

I had a first hand experience when my wife gave birth. She was in labor for over 48 hours before they finally decided to operate on her. Whilst the operation was going on, the generator went off because there was no diesel in it and the Animal of an official whose duty it was to make sure such things was taken care of was not where to be found. He was very lucky that the Doctor operating on my wife was highly professional, only God knows what would have happened to that fool.
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by eros(m): 6:22pm On Jun 10, 2010
Tudór:

If indeed this guy was intoxicated when he had his accident then i have no sympathies for him and say good riddance.

thank goodness that dagrin fool didnt take an innocent life with him. . . . thank goodness he died alone.

Now this is a very mean and rude thing to say about the dead and most especially Dagrin. There are so may factors that could have led to the accident;

1. There could have being the useless police check point blockade on the road, which he did not see on time and tried to avoid driving into it, but unfortunately ran into the parked truck which obviously did not have safety reflectors or C-Caution sign on it.

2. Most likely he was drunk, but would not deliberately drive into a parked truck if he had seen it. Besides, the truck wasn't supposed to be parked on that road if you have ever driven through Mushin road.

All in all, he deserves part of the blame for the accident because he should have slept over in his friend's house instead of insisting on going home at that ungodly hour. Nevertheless, that does not give you the right to bash him the way you did, alot folks out there will have your head on a platter if you made such a comment in public, because we love him so much and alot of us identify with him.
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by Tcrack(m): 6:48pm On Jun 10, 2010
i believe if its your time, its your time and there is nothing anyone can do about it. i guess its just the young mans time. that said however, there is still a lot to be done about our healt care system and the reform should begin from the universities this quack medical personels graduate from.
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by Tudor6(f): 6:56pm On Jun 10, 2010
cold:

You began with IF & eventually went ahead to rubbish the guy like you were the doctor that handled the case.So far, we have not heard any authenticated report that he was DUI,until then these crucifictions are based on assumptions.

Mr man what does the word [size=16pt] IF[/size] mean to you?

incase you are illiterate, the message on my post is based on a conditional and thats why i used the word IF.
eros:

Now this is a very mean and rude thing to say about the dead and most especially Dagrin. There are so may factors that could have led to the accident;

1. There could have being the useless police check point blockade on the road, which he did not see on time and tried to avoid driving into it, but unfortunately ran into the parked truck which obviously did not have safety reflectors or C-Caution sign on it.

2. Most likely he was drunk, but would not deliberately drive into a parked truck if he had seen it. Besides, the truck wasn't supposed to be parked on that road if you have ever driven through Mushin road.

All in all, he deserves part of the blame for the accident because he should have slept over in his friend's house instead of insisting on going home at that ungodly hour. Nevertheless, that does not give you the right to bash him the way you did, alot folks out there will have your head on a platter if you made such a comment in public, because we love him so much and alot of us identify with him.

Look here, i repeat[b] IF HE WAS DRUNK[/b] then good riddance to useless scum.

why drive while drunk? he didnt see the truck? yea, that usually happens when you're boozed out.

even if the police check point or truck wasnt there he could have easily have hit an killed an innocent bystander as I was a victim once too.

funny how we spend time lamenting and crying for an alcoholic when there are worthy people out there deserving our sympathies.
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by texazz: 7:00pm On Jun 10, 2010
I think it's pretty stupid for anyone to read this post and start heaping blame on the hospital. To the layman, the doctors never do enough, and they always want to provide advice they aren't competent enough to give.

eros:

Seriously the hospital contributed to Dagrin's death. Aside from drunk driving which is the obvious cause of the accident. Common the brother was still holding on to life for 5 days, and all the Doctors could say was that they tried their best.

Well, they should thank their stars Dagrin is not related to me, because i would have arranged for thugs to burn down the hospitals and cripple all the doctors and nurses that treated him. Bunch of retarded deviants who careless about people's lives.

You need to be at LUTH or one of those government forsaken hospitals to see how the nurses and some of the Doctors address and treat patients. I almost had one of the security men beaten up when my wife delivered at Isolo general hospital. I vowed never to go to any public hospital again, although the private hospitals are worse off. God help us in Nigeria.

Tupac died after holding on to life in the hospital for 3 days. Na hospital kill am? Since when did the number of days you hold on to life become a benchmark of medical competence?
With absolutely no indication of what really went on at the hospital, you're willing to take the word of a grief-struck woman who - by her own admission - has little or no knowledge of modern medicine?

I don't understand. You write pretty well, but you aren't reasoning like a truly educated person. I mean, burn down a hospital because a patient who had experienced cerebral bleeding got worse in the hospital before dying? C'mon!!
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by EvilBrain1(m): 7:44pm On Jun 10, 2010
With that said Doc, don't you think it is the right of the relative of a patient to know what exactly is happening to their beloved one and what they are doing to correct or treat the problem

Of course, relatives have the right to know whats happening but in reality, doctors are stressed, tired, over-worked, under-paid and frustrated. Most of the time they just can't be bothered to talk to relatives when they could be resting, sleeping or saving another person's life. Imagine if you had been working non-stop for 48 hours and just when things are getting quiet, someone starts pulling your shirt that they want to talk. You'd better ask me very nicely or its not going to happen. Its a very difficult job.

Doctors and Nurses play with people's lives and i personally will take any Doctor's life God help him or her if this were to happen to my loved one.

Another problem is that people feel that its o.k. to transfer their frustration to anybody in a white coat. As if you'd still attend to a customer that comes into your office and threatens to kill you. You think your doctor doesn't have a family at home? Who wan die? Yes your wife may be in labour, but tomorrow she will have delivered and you'll be smiling while the poor doctor will be busy dealing with another crisis. This is the reason why people think doctors and nurses are heartless. If you had to watch people cry and panic and bleed and die all day, every day, you'd either find a way to harden your heart or run completely mad. A doctor that can't stay calm under pressure is a dangerous doctor.

Like I said, Its a very difficult job. The problem is that many people are selfish and won't spare a thought for those who are trying to help under difficult conditions. Its easy to assign blame and to demonise health workers. Don't worry sha, we're used to it and we do our best anyway.
Re: Da Grin's Mom: The Hospital Killed My Son by davidif: 7:48pm On Jun 10, 2010
Tudór:

Look here, i repeat[b] IF HE WAS DRUNK[/b] then good riddance to useless scum.

why drive while drunk? he didnt see the truck? yea, that usually happens when you're boozed out.

even if the police check point or truck wasnt there he could have easily have hit an killed an innocent bystander as I was a victim once too.

funny how we spend time lamenting and crying for an alcoholic when there are worthy people out there deserving our sympathies.

You sir are scum.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Women Sound Different When Menstruating. Men Can Tell! / How Can I Cure Clipper Bumps / When Is The Right Time To Take Drugs: Before, After Or With Meal?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.