Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,607 members, 7,833,985 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' (29544 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: 'I Was Happy To Wear Dior Cleavage-Baring Dress' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Issame: 4:04pm On Jul 10, 2018
Award-winning novelist and feminist icon, Chimamanda Adichie says she feels sorry for men because they can’t experience the benefits that come with being a mother.

In an interview with Vulture, Adichie opened up about what having a child meant to her and the impact it had on her art.

“I used to think I wouldn’t be a good mother because I was so dedicated to my art,” the ‘Americanah’ writer said.

“I said to myself, I have nephews and nieces who I adore, and I helped raise them, so those will be my children. That’s what I thought for a long time, because I felt that I couldn’t be true to both my art and my child.

“Getting older. I like to joke and say that you’re ready [to have a child] when your body isn’t ready, and when your body is ready, you’re not mentally ready.

“I guess you have the best eggs when you’re, like, 22, but at 22 you don’t even know yourself.

“Then when you’re 38 and know yourself, your eggs are not the best quality. Anyway, we’ll talk about eggs another time.”

Adichie explained that having a child interrupts her writing to an extent but also opens up a new range of emotions that can inspire art which men can’t experience.

“But my baby happened, and it’s important to talk honestly about this, because having her changed a lot,” she said.

“Having a child gets in the way of writing. It does. You can’t own your time the way you used to.

“But the other thing that motherhood does — and I kind of feel sorry for men that they can’t have this — is open up a new emotional plane that can feed your art.”

Source:
http://nairaplus.com/2018/07/im-sorry-for-men-because-they-cant-have-babies-chimamanda-says/

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by itspzpics(m): 4:15pm On Jul 10, 2018
Aatigbo

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by olasaad(f): 4:43pm On Jul 10, 2018
Aunty this your statement get as he be ooo

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by CANDYDADDY(m): 5:56pm On Jul 10, 2018
shocked

This girl now will think she's a feminist, not knowing she is a total imbalance, insane, moody, attention seeker.

perhaps reason why kemi olunloyo is her role model

But wetin concern me na her issue

[img]https://media1./images/35391984469e19d37e3badf4d38a8728/tenor.gif?itemid=11227112[/img]

306 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Unlimited22: 5:57pm On Jul 10, 2018
E Don comot feminism enter another thing o

92 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by ladyF(f): 5:57pm On Jul 10, 2018
Men should also feel sorry for us because we cannot experience fatherhood angry

Make i go continue my search for bitcoin to buy sha... Check my signature.. Best rate always. kiss

It's LadyF again. grin grin grin

130 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by PearlStreet(m): 5:57pm On Jul 10, 2018
There's a fine line between genius and stupidity, Chimamanda just crossed that line.

I don't blame her though, it's because her husband has failed to handle her engine like a proper man.

167 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by phr0nesis(m): 5:57pm On Jul 10, 2018
I am sorry for Chimamanda Adichie, she can't have fatherhood.
And I'm sorry for her co-husband who is also not experiencing fatherhood

134 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by IamAirforce1: 5:57pm On Jul 10, 2018
Foolish woman

Proud arrogant bastard

63 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Tapout(m): 5:57pm On Jul 10, 2018
Here we go again sad

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Olujoe1(m): 5:57pm On Jul 10, 2018
Leave her alone brain is paining her .... I wonder why she would always want to bark .. Inferiority complex, vying for something which was already equal.

18 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by jeffoe(m): 5:58pm On Jul 10, 2018
Hmmm, aunty done show. Funkeeeeeeeeee apostle must hear....
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Yeligray(m): 5:58pm On Jul 10, 2018
I'm sorry for women, they don't have spermhood and without spermhood, no motherhood

12 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by roblance: 5:58pm On Jul 10, 2018
tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by pocohantas(f): 5:58pm On Jul 10, 2018
LOL. Seems this woman loves trending grin

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by potbelly(m): 5:58pm On Jul 10, 2018
tongue

60 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Sterope(f): 5:59pm On Jul 10, 2018
Uhn? Why would they want motherhood when they can have fatherhood?

Cheers to the responsible fathers out there!

27 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by NwaJozi: 5:59pm On Jul 10, 2018
I bet she starts The Lord's prayer with " Our Mother who art in heaven"

140 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Yankee101: 5:59pm On Jul 10, 2018
Chimama ITK! BUSY BODY! Home training miss road! You know wetin to get d*ick be like? And to wake up feeling good with morning wood! Devil agent.

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by SaroWiwa: 5:59pm On Jul 10, 2018
I am so sorry for this lady. Who do her this thing? She is just a bunch of confusion.

9 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by addikt(m): 5:59pm On Jul 10, 2018
ALAYE PARK WELL JOOR

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by SoNature(m): 5:59pm On Jul 10, 2018
How does this woman's husband cope with her excesses? cry

8 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by ayoBiz(m): 5:59pm On Jul 10, 2018
Don’t worry, we don’t need motherhood.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jul 10, 2018
anyone ever told her shes ugly as poo

6 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jul 10, 2018
"Sorry"? Feminism will soon drive you nuts.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question / The Kevlar's Emergency Fiancee (chritsmas Edition) / Cancer ................... (a True Life Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.