Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,853 members, 7,872,849 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:56 PM

Ibori: Fg May Sack Npa, Nimasa Bosses - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibori: Fg May Sack Npa, Nimasa Bosses (595 Views)

Buhari May Sack Emefiele ‘Any Moment From Now’ - Ripples / Sanusi Lamido Ado-Bayero Appointed As NPA Managing Director By Jonathan / Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet, May Sack Diezani, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ibori: Fg May Sack Npa, Nimasa Bosses by Beaf: 4:44am On Jun 15, 2010
[size=14pt]Ibori: FG may sack NPA, NIMASA bosses [/size]
By Emeka Ezekiel and Sulaiman Adenekan
Tuesday, 15 Jun 2010

There were indications on Monday that the Presidency may be planning to sack the leadership of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency and the Nigeria Ports Authority over the escape of a former governor of Delta State, Chief James Ibori, from the country.

One of our correspondents gathered that government’s action was based on reports that Ibori may have evaded arrest by fleeing through the country’s waterways.

Ibori fled the country to Dubai after he was declared wanted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission last month. He was declared wanted after he failed to honour its invitation over allegations that he used shares belonging to Delta State to secure a N44bn loan from a bank.

A competent source in the Federal Ministry of Transport told one of our correspondents in Abuja on Monday that government was unhappy that the officials of both agencies failed to apprehend Ibori. This, the official said, had fuelled the suspicion that some of them may have aided his escape.

Consequently, it was gathered that sweeping changes in the two agencies may be imminent in both agencies. Those likely to be affected are the Director-General of NIMASA, Mr. Temsare Omatseye, and Managing Director of the NPA, Mallam Abdul Salam Muhammed.

The ministry source said, “The DG of NIMASA has already been informed about his disengagement. Unless there is a last-minute change of mind by the President, his disengagement will be announced before the end of this week. Also, the Managing Director of Nigerian Ports Authority may likely be affected.”

When contacted on the telephone, the Head, Public Relations, NIMASA, Mrs. Ego Nwokocha, said the agency was not aware of such a plan.

According to her, “I am not aware of any plan by the Federal Government to remove the DG. I think it is a mere speculation. Moreover, he came in not long ago.

“Removing him now will not augur well for the development of the maritime sector. However, I believe that there is nothing like that.”

When one of our correspondents contacted the NPA’s Public Relations Officer, Mr. Musa Liya, on the telephone at 5:22 pm, he said, “In fact, right now, I am still in the office. I am not aware of such a development.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2010061544020

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria: 'world Oil Pollution Capital' / Robbers Kill Two Guards At Lawmaker’s House / Vp Holds On To Kaduna Govt House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.