Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,050 members, 7,946,587 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 09:46 PM

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize (13421 Views)

Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 46th Birthday Today / Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' / Nnedi Okorafor To Write Black Panther For Marvel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by Ishilove: 7:19am On Jul 22, 2018
"If it's not Panadol, it can't be the same thing as Panadol"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by NnamdiEducamia(m): 7:19am On Jul 22, 2018
oshe11:
Chimamanda......

The face of Nigerian Feministundecided

She thinks because she has Beards and hair for chest that makes her a man ba?

Well....

I'd take her serious when she starts clamouring for "KING OF ENGLAND" for Men

Awon Sexist claiming FEMINIST

Are you jealous or is it paining you?

Which one?

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by Metuh: 7:21am On Jul 22, 2018
Bolowolowo:
Of course these Ipobians would contend for the alternative award. Everything they deal is counterfeit and bootleg grin grin grin. They are synonymous with counterfeit development grin grin grin
Olodo read the write up again

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by NnamdiEducamia(m): 7:24am On Jul 22, 2018
Luukasz:
You won't see the Yorubas shouting or hailing a successful yoruba man or woman, you know why?.

Simply because they are used to being successful so they don't see it as a big deal or a new thing when one of their own is being mentioned at the world stage.

But the Igbos on the other hand go about shouting Igbo Amaka on every thread where the success of an Igbo man is being mentioned, you know why?

Its simply because the Igbos are not used to producing successful people unlike the yorubas its new to them to see an Igbo man mentioned at the world stage.

Is a lie! You lied!

It means we Igbos celebrate the success of our own and we appreciate good tings.
Maybe the Yorubas get angry and bitter when their own succeeds so none celebrates them.
grin
Check well, behind the success of any yoruba man, there is an Igbo Amaka! grin

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by CSTR1005: 7:24am On Jul 22, 2018
IgboAmakaa:

Is not Netflix I think is HBO is in charge of it
Thanks. it is HBO.
I Mixed them up. Maybe because of this series I am currently watching. lol.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by NnamdiEducamia(m): 7:25am On Jul 22, 2018
bestviewer:
Anambra born Chimamanda is taking this home. GOD IS GREAT.

Evans the kidnapper is also from Anambra! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by Galaticos444: 7:33am On Jul 22, 2018
Minjim:
Any other Nobel Prize is a counterfeit
afonja spotted

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by Fatherofdragons: 7:38am On Jul 22, 2018
Luukasz:
You won't see the Yorubas shouting or hailing a successful yoruba man or woman, you know why?.

Simply because they are used to being successful so they don't see it as a big deal or a new thing when one of their own is being mentioned at the world stage.

But the Igbos on the other hand go about shouting Igbo Amaka on every thread where the success of an Igbo man is being mentioned, you know why?

Its simply because the Igbos are not used to producing successful people like the Yoruba's who's produced countless number of successful men and women.
Its new to them to see an Igbo man being mentioned at the world stage.

U don't support ur ppl because u hate urselves with passion, so don't give me that thrash.

but don't forget when it comes to Lagos, u all will raise ur cone azz up and scream eko this, eko that, ambode is the best governor in Africa , Lagos should be a country.

we are most suffersticated, most educated, most dirty etc

Hypocrites.

13 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by Daeylar(f): 7:38am On Jul 22, 2018
Chimamanda kiss kiss
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by Basic123: 7:42am On Jul 22, 2018
IgboAmakaa:

I don't like been tribal but I will b tribal on this ur post

Wole soyinka won Nobel but no Nigeria talk more of African regonized him and his work. even at death Chinua Achebe is still d father of African literature and chimamada is now taking over from him. Chimua Achebe was a lecturer in Boston university in USA prior to his death.
Now tell me wat has wole achieved, even his kinsmen don't know any of his book .

Shoe get size abeg
IGNORANCE!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by bestviewer: 7:43am On Jul 22, 2018
Why be say my comment dey pepper you? Envy cheesy

NnamdiEducamia:

Evans the kidnapper is also from Anambra! grin grin
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by TundeBricklayer: 7:47am On Jul 22, 2018
Luukasz:
Which one be Alternative Nobel Prize again

The Swedish Academy is not awarding a Nobel prize for literature this year, but a group of Swedish cultural figures are coming together to bestow their own version of the world’s most prestigious literary award instead, as an act of protest at the scandal that has engulfed the academy.
The 2018 Nobel prize for literature was cancelled in May, following allegations of sexual assault made against Jean-Claude Arnault, husband of Katarina Frostenson. Frostenson is an author and a member of the Swedish Academy, the prize’s secretive jury. Arnault was charged with rape in June, but denies all the allegations.
The scandal, which kickstarted debate about the academy’s patriarchal nature and fights in the Swedish media between academicians, led to a wave of resignations and to the postponement of this year’s prize “in view of the currently diminished academy and the reduced public confidence”.
In its place, more than 100 Swedish writers, actors, journalists and other cultural figures have formed the New Academy, which will hand out its own award this autumn, following the same timeline as the Nobel.
“We have founded the New Academy to remind people that literature and culture at large should promote democracy, transparency, empathy and respect, without privilege, bias arrogance or sexism,” they said in a statement.
“In a time when human values are increasingly being called into question, literature becomes an even more important counterforce to stop the culture of silence and oppression. The New Academy regards this as so important that the world’s greatest literature prize should still be awarded in 2018.”

The New Academy is inviting all of Sweden’s librarians to nominate authors. Contenders can come from anywhere in the world, and must have written at least two books, one of which was published in the last 10 years. They are looking for a writer who has told the story of “humans in the world” – in contrast to the Nobel, which is intended to honour the writer who has penned, in the words of Alfred Nobel’s will, “the most outstanding work in an ideal direction”.Once nominations have been received, the New Academy will launch a public vote, with the four most popular authors to then be put before its jury. Led by editor Ann Pålsson and also including Gothenburg University professor Lisbeth Larsson and librarian Gunilla Sandin, the jury will announce its winner in October, the same month the Nobel is traditionally announced.
“In awarding this prize, we are staging a protest. We want to show people that serious cultural work does not have to occur in a context of coercive language, irregularities or abuse,” said the new organisation.
On 11 December, the day after the winner is presented with their award at a formal celebration, the New Academy will be dissolved.
It is currently expected that the Swedish Academy will announce two Nobel winners in 2019.

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by Gggg102(m): 7:51am On Jul 22, 2018
oshe11:
Chimamanda......

The face of Nigerian Feministsundecided
Well....

go and sleep. England will have a king when Elizabeth dies or retires.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by oshe11: 7:54am On Jul 22, 2018
Gggg102:

go and sleep. England will have a king when Elizabeth dies or retires.
We don't want that.....

We need it NOW
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by RexTramadol1: 7:56am On Jul 22, 2018
IgboAmakaa:

Wole soyinka won Nobel but no Nigeria talk more of African regonized him and his work. even at death Chinua Achebe is still d father of African literature and chimamada is now taking over from him. Chimua Achebe was a lecturer in Boston university in USA prior to his death.
Now tell me wat has wole achieved, even his kinsmen don't know any of his book .

Shoe get size abeg

Did you form this from your head or someone formed it for you?

Cos a right thinking individual will continue searching for sense from dusk to dawn and find none in the post

To start with, you don't know Prof. Soyinka, U only hear of him and see his picture on nairaland

So, who can blame you?

That Soyinka you talked abt ordinarily........ There is a day set aside for him in American University tagged " Soyinka day"

If you're trying to use Achebe's death as an excuse, have you heard about Ola Rotimi

That dude is even better than Soyinka, but he died very early

Yorubas could have easily had two nobel prize winners if he were alive

He wrote " The gods are not to blame" which is a wonderful read.

Please next time don't say what you don't know.

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by Nobody: 7:56am On Jul 22, 2018
oshe11:
Chimamanda......

Well....

Choii, see this one o. He no even no se England don get King b4?
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by tartar9(m): 7:59am On Jul 22, 2018
Lol...which one be alternate noble prize again.nyamiri and fake products are like bread and butter grin
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by oshe11: 7:59am On Jul 22, 2018
Noel1:
Choii, see this one o. He no even no se England don get King b4?
I'm talking of now.....

Just read my comment above You
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by Gggg102(m): 8:10am On Jul 22, 2018
oshe11:
We don't want that.....

We need it NOW
go and sleep. it is obvious you are pained.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by kense88: 8:11am On Jul 22, 2018
Minjim:
Any other Nobel Prize is a counterfeit
Yes oooh, especially that type of award martin luther king jnr usually confers.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by PenlsCaP: 8:20am On Jul 22, 2018
oshe11:
Chimamanda......

Well....

Learn how to support ur own..
Yoruba are trying to tarnish ur own and u people are following them.. There is nothing wrong in being a feminist.. It's all the yoeubas trying to paint it wrong, when will my igbo brothers get sense.

I tell u if this women is a Yoruba the Hype would have been out of this world.
Fela was a bad example to Nigerian entertainment who lived a wayward life even on performing stage.. But they used hyping to turn him to an icon.
If fela was an igbo u people would have help them paint him as a bad image.

Make Una get sense, make Una get sense, make Una get sense

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by oshe11: 8:22am On Jul 22, 2018
PenlsCaP:

Learn how to support ur own..
Yoruba are trying to tarnish ur own and u people are following them.. There is nothing wrong in being a feminist.. It's all the yoeubas trying to paint it wrong, when will my igbo brothers get sense.

I tell u if this women is a Yoruba the Hulu would have been out of this world.
Fela was a bad example to Nigerian entertainment who lived a wayward life even on performing stage.. But the used hyping to turn him to an icon.
If flea was an igbo u people would have help them paint him as a bad image.

Make Una get sense, make Una get sense, make Una get sense
But my Moniker is "Oshe"
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by PenlsCaP: 8:23am On Jul 22, 2018
Fatherofdragons:
IGBO AMAKA.

Afonjas with their hate filled rotten hearts.

Feminist or not, I love her.

There is nothing wrong in being a feminist, this is 21st century, it's only the afonjas trying to change the meaning of "feminist" just to tarnish this woman and some senseless Igbos are following them.
"My people perish for lack of knowledge "

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by PenlsCaP: 8:23am On Jul 22, 2018
oshe11:
But my Moniker is "Oshe"

I know u are igbo
Make Una get sense
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by oshe11: 8:34am On Jul 22, 2018
PenlsCaP:

I know u are igbo
Make Una get sense
Lol.....

I'm NOT

But I get your point....
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by PenlsCaP: 8:38am On Jul 22, 2018
oshe11:
Lol.....
I'm NOT
But I get your point....

OK shAa But I know u are not Yoruba either.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by babyfaceafrica: 8:41am On Jul 22, 2018
noted
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by ozoebuka1(m): 8:43am On Jul 22, 2018
Luukasz:

Its simply because the Igbos are not used to producing successful people like the Yoruba's who's produced countless number of successful men and women.
Its new to them to see an Igbo man being mentioned at the world stage.
keep deceiving yourself... Yorubas don't applaud their own when they are successful because yorubas are jealous people even to their own, fact!!! undecided

9 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by JamesIkosong(m): 8:48am On Jul 22, 2018
If you have written a book, don't just rush to publish it. Get an editor first.

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by nwabobo: 8:58am On Jul 22, 2018
TundeBricklayer:
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o nominated For Alternative Nobel Prize for Literature Award
Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o, Chimamanda Adichie and Nnedi Okorafor are the 3 African writers nominated for an alternative Nobel Prize for Literature.

Following the shocking cancellation of this year’s Nobel Prize for Literature on grounds of a sexual scandal, a group consisting of 100 Swedish cultural figures including writers, actors and a rapper have come together to create an Alternative award.

The Guardian reports that the New Academy opened the doors for Swedish Librarians to nominate authors from across the world who have “told the story of “humans in the world”. The 46 nominees consist of our very own Chimamanda Adichie, Kenyan writer Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o and Nigerian/American SciFi writer Nnedi Okorafor.

Other nominees include Cormac McCarthy, Margaret Atwood, Amos Oz, Haruki Murakami, Sofi Oksanen, Olga Tokarczuk, J.K. Rowling singer Patti Smith and a strong list of other renowned writers.

Another intriguing part of the New Academy prize is people can actually vote for their favorite author! Voting opened this week on their website.

The New York Times is reporting that voting closes on August 14. After which three finalists will be selected from the votes and announced on the 14th of October. The librarians will also get the opportunity to select a fourth finalist.” A panel made up of a literature professor, two librarians and two literary editors will then choose the winner“ , The New York Times adds.

The winner will receive 1 Million Kronor which is about $112,000. A banquet will also be held in the winner’s owner just like the Nobel Laureate.
https://www.bellanaija.com/2018/07/chimamanda-ngozi-adichie-nnedi-okorafor-ngugi-wa-thiongo-nominated-alternative-nobel-prize-literature-award/
Lalasticlala

Igbo amaka

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize by skallion7(m): 9:07am On Jul 22, 2018
IgboAmakaa:

Shoe get size abeg
stop sniffing salt, go and find your missing sense

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award / A Dread In The Spine ( A Mystery Novel By Akintayo Akinjide) / The Devil's Love (a Tale Of A Rapist) By John Mfon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.