Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,507 members, 7,885,150 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 01:11 AM

In Love With My Best Friend? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / In Love With My Best Friend? (1202 Views)

11 Signs That He Is Madly In Love With You / "I Slept With My Best Friend’s Husband" / I Am In Love With A Married Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Love With My Best Friend? by Nobody: 6:19am On Jun 15, 2010
I've been fighting this feeling for over a year now. She is Puerto Rican/Ethiopian. I know this girl 100% cause we grew up together and she knows me 99% cause the only 1% she doesn't know is that I'm in falling for her. Should I keep fighting this feeling till I kill it or should I let it take over. She has a boy friend whom she loves and I don't want to be a jerk. I fear she already knows what's going on within me cause even though I barely express my feeling, she knows how I feel most of the time but she might be puzzled who is the subject of the feeling cause we have friends and a good number of them are girls. I don't even want her to know anything until the feeling dies cause it's a mess to me cause I encouraged her to date the great guy she is currently dating. I'm a huge wacko when it comes to relationships cause I might be all tough but the truth is I'm only tough on the outside and really don't let my feelings show which hasn't worked for me. Sure I give advices on relationships but most of the times I ask my self where was I when I needed advice after talking about relationships with friends etc,  She knows I'm bad in relationships but also know I don't mean to hurt no one and don't cheat. What makes my situation worst is that we are always together either in school or at home or outdoor together unless she is out with her man but the guy has some issues thinking he will lose her if he keeps hanging around her alot so I'm always stuck with her. I've been stuck with her since we were 12yrs old, since I got my first G.I Joe toy set. She was braiding my hair today and asked if I like one of her classmate that has been asking her about me and stuff. I said no like I never said before.  I need to get over this feeling without losing my friend though our friendship is still as strong as when she started wearing my boxers (still do in fact we share boxers short).
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by Nobody: 6:24am On Jun 15, 2010
Tell her. Just dont pressure her into making a decision you want to hear.

No matter her decision, try to still be her best friend.

Which is more valuable to you. . . . your friendship now or losing her as a friend after she hears what you have to say.
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by femmy2010(m): 6:30am On Jun 15, 2010
Very well said.Remember 100% of shots we do not take does not go in.Give it a shot.I wish u well man.
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by Nobody: 6:38am On Jun 15, 2010
FL Gators:

Tell her. Just dont pressure her into making a decision you want to hear.

No matter her decision, try to still be her best friend.

Which is more valuable to you. . . . your friendship now or losing her as a friend after she hears what you have to say.

My friendship is all I care about even if she becomes my girlfriend she is still my friend first. I just don't know how she would take it although I know she would laugh first. I once told her I'm in love with her and she said she has been doing that since her childhood.
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by ahmedoo(m): 6:51am On Jun 15, 2010
situations like this are usually very complicated,but as long as it does make sense to you go for it, wishn you your heart desires,
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by Nobody: 8:53am On Jun 15, 2010
@ topic

I've always maintained that a man and a woman can't be 'just' friends. . .the same way a goat and yam can't be friends. The former will devour the latter at the first opportunity, be it a day later or a decade later - never mind the foolish boyfriends that permit such crap. (yours sincerely has devoured a few friendly yams in the past, lol). Even if the girl has nothing in mind, same can NEVER be said of the guy. Hitting her kitty is ALWAYS at the back of the male friend's mind, he would merely try as implicitly as possible to seduce her and belittle her bf in a subtle but deft manner. In the end, it will happen if Mr. Friend plays his cards right. That is why a small percentage of wise and really good women with old-school common sense (0.01%) avoid this 'male friend' business. And they enjoy peaceful relationships/marriages as a result.

Seduction is always a contact sport. And like poison, it seeps through the body without warning. The only way to avoid the possibility of the goat devouring the yam is to ensure that the former has no physical access to the latter. Otherwise, devouring will remain a possibility. . .only a matter of time. I am talking from extensive experience, with brutal frankness.

So @poster, forget her boyfriend, if you play your cards right you will get her for lust or love, whichever inspires your desire. But it is extremely risky and unstrategic to declare your love for her and that you want her to be your gurl. Nah, thats lame. You have to use the most devious and stealthy route: try to seduce her to get 'physical' with you before you then get emotional (if it'll be necessary sef, who needs that). The important thing is that you have unrestrained access to her person, ears and eyes; if you mix the right brew, the access would translate to access to her heart or pants (whichever you are after; personally, I prefer the latter). Don't know how to explain these steps to you but if you know anything about seduction you should be able to figure it out. Goodluck!
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by Nobody: 8:55am On Jun 15, 2010
everybody is always in luv with their best friend in Nland, Kai, story-story, storyyyyyyyyy grin
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by lonelypal(m): 11:09am On Jun 15, 2010
pro01:

@ topic

I've always maintained that a man and a woman can't be 'just' friends. . .the same way a goat and yam can't be friends. The former will devour the latter at the first opportunity, be it a day later or a decade later - never mind the foolish boyfriends that permit such crap. (yours sincerely has devoured a few friendly yams in the past, lol). Even if the girl has nothing in mind, same can NEVER be said of the guy. Hitting her kitty is ALWAYS at the back of the male friend's mind, he would merely try as implicitly as possible to seduce her and belittle her bf in a subtle but deft manner. In the end, it will happen if Mr. Friend plays his cards right. That is why a small percentage of wise and really good women with old-school common sense (0.01%) avoid this 'male friend' business. And they enjoy peaceful relationships/marriages as a result.

Seduction is always a contact sport. And like poison, it seeps through the body without warning. The only way to avoid the possibility of the goat devouring the yam is to ensure that the former has no physical access to the latter. Otherwise, devouring will remain a possibility. . .only a matter of time. I am talking from extensive experience, with brutal franknes

So @poster, forget her boyfriend, if you play your cards right you will get her for lust or love, whichever inspires your desire. But it is extremely risky and unstrategic to declare your love for her and that you want her to be your gurl. Nah, thats lame. You have to use the most devious and stealthy route: try to seduce her to get 'physical' with you before you then get emotional (if it'll be necessary sef, who needs that). The important thing is that you have unrestrained access to her person, ears and eyes; if you mix the right brew, the access would translate to access to her heart or pants (whichever you are after; personally, I prefer the latter). Don't know how to explain these steps to you but if you know anything about seduction you should be able to figure it out. Goodluck!

Exactly my sentiments
@ Wouldnt encourage anyone to kip a gurl as a close friend, though sometimes necessary for some reasons grin
learnt dis lesson d hard way cos am having a similar experience at d moment. The painful aspect of it is dt u tend to lose d friendship when u bring in emotions into d whole picture, So its always advisable u dnt encourage it right from d word 'GO' cos u cant beat nature xcept u dnt have blood flowing in ur veins,
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by DOAweb(m): 11:45am On Jun 15, 2010
odiaero:

everybody is always in luv with their best friend in Nland, Kai, story-story, storyyyyyyyyy grin

True talk!!  grin grin
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by Creamish(f): 2:09pm On Jun 15, 2010
@ poster . . ur heart will eat u alive if u dont let her know how u feel . . just b careful not to make it look awkward/wierd so u dont chase her away . . im sure u can handle it since u dont show emotions wink
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by Jaideyone(m): 2:52pm On Jun 15, 2010
i wonder why people can't just voice out their feelings? i don't keep platonic friends. scr***ew friendship. Tell her your feelings. If she's not interested then forget about her. There are 3billion girls out there in the world. U can always find someone better than her.
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by Travelista(f): 3:14pm On Jun 15, 2010
What do you value more: your friendship with the girl or getting the chance to be more than friends? She has a boyfriend that, according to you, she cares for and is a 'great' guy. If you truly love her, don't be selfish and let her be happy where she is; being friends isn't the same as being lovers and you run the risk of losing her. Your situation reminds me of a song in "My Fair Lady" (don't judge my love for musicals! grin) 'I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face'; it's about love that grows from familiarity and sneaks up on you. I remember being in your position when I was younger (on both ends) and as I got older, it dawned on me that the reason I kept falling for male friends was because we spent so much time together and they accepted me and all my faults without question; it didn't hurt that they could see me in ratty sweats and an old t-shirt and there would be no self-consciousness (on either end) and I could be my true self. Your position is natural, so don't fret.

Now, I'm looking at you wearing each others boxers ( lipsrsealed) and her braiding your hair (double lipsrsealed) and it seems that there's something there. No matter what we women say, we can pick up on when someone has the tiniest of feelings towards us. So, either you friend likes you back and is too afraid to make the first move or she's flirting back because she's being a tease. (Hey, it happens and there isn't always malice behind it; she just may enjoy the attention.) At the end of the day, really think about what you want. You sound young and, if you are, you have tons of time to find a girl; your friend may be the love of your life and she may not be but don't put your life on hold to find out.
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by LOVE4BUG(f): 4:54pm On Jun 15, 2010
hmmmmmmmmmm

i comment my reserve.
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jun 16, 2010
odiaero:

Rather uncalled for. I live life without instruction manuals but a basic principle which simply is hurt no one so I'll ignore for real.

Travelista:

What do you value more: your friendship with the girl or getting the chance to be more than friends? She has a boyfriend that, according to you, she cares for and is a 'great' guy. If you truly love her, don't be selfish and let her be happy where she is; being friends isn't the same as being lovers and you run the risk of losing her. Your situation reminds me of a song in "My Fair Lady" (don't judge my love for musicals! grin) 'I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face'; it's about love that grows from familiarity and sneaks up on you. I remember being in your position when I was younger (on both ends) and as I got older, it dawned on me that the reason I kept falling for male friends was because we spent so much time together and they accepted me and all my faults without question; it didn't hurt that they could see me in ratty sweats and an old t-shirt and there would be no self-consciousness (on either end) and I could be my true self. Your position is natural, so don't fret.

Now, I'm looking at you wearing each others boxers ( lipsrsealed) and her braiding your hair (double lipsrsealed) and it seems that there's something there. No matter what we women say, we can pick up on when someone has the tiniest of feelings towards us. So, either you friend likes you back and is too afraid to make the first move or she's flirting back because she's being a tease. (Hey, it happens and there isn't always malice behind it; she just may enjoy the attention.) At the end of the day, really think about what you want. You sound young and, if you are, you have tons of time to find a girl; your friend may be the love of your life and she may not be but don't put your life on hold to find out.

My case is different and while people tease me as carpet bunny in high school cause I'm Irish/Nigerian, I was still happy cause I had this friend I can always go to movie with and do things friends do with. I don't know but it's hard to impossibility not to have been friends with her.

Jaidey-one:

i wonder why people can't just voice out their feelings? i don't keep platonic friends. scr***ew friendship. Tell her your feelings. If she's not interested then forget about her. There are 3billion girls out there in the world. U can always find someone better than her.

Better? I don't know about that though. I'll just let things happen themselves out instead of having to look lame like creamish said. If nothing happens then so be it. I'll rather the feelings eat me alive than lame out a good situation.
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by Travelista(f): 12:38pm On Jun 16, 2010
9jaganja:

Rather uncalled for. I live life without instruction manuals but a basic principle which simply is hurt no one so I'll ignore for real.

My case is different and while people tease me as carpet bunny in high school cause I'm Irish/Nigerian, I was still happy cause I had this friend I can always go to movie with and do things friends do with. I don't know but it's hard to impossibility not to have been friends with her.

Better? I don't know about that though. I'll just let things happen themselves out instead of having to look lame like creamish said. If nothing happens then so be it. I'll rather the feelings eat me alive than lame out a good situation.

Yikes! You really like this girl. *sigh* Tell her how you feel, hun. It must have been tough to have people call you names in school but I'm glad you have her in your corner; whether things work out, I hope you two remain friends because genuine people are harder to come by the older we get.

Sit down and talk with her and let her know how you feel: don't pressure her and let her know that you aren't looking for her to leave her boyfriend (even if you are!); tell her that you just wanted to get some things off your chest. Choose a neutral place like a park or quiet corner in a cafe or something of the like and just have a one on one with her. If you guys are already sharing boxers (I'd love to know what her guy thinks about THAT), you've got a good chance but the path is still strewn with risks.

Reading your responses, I think you know that your friend may have feelings towards you. cheesy Don't worry about being 'lame'; lame would be you pining away for her without having said a word. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, my friend. Good luck and I hope things work out for you two.
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jun 16, 2010
Travelista:

Yikes! You really like this girl. *sigh* Tell her how you feel, hun. It must have been tough to have people call you names in school but I'm glad you have her in your corner; whether things work out, I hope you two remain friends because genuine people are harder to come by the older we get.

Sit down and talk with her and let her know how you feel: don't pressure her and let her know that you aren't looking for her to leave her boyfriend (even if you are!); tell her that you just wanted to get some things off your chest. Choose a neutral place like a park or quiet corner in a cafe or something of the like and just have a one on one with her. If you guys are already sharing boxers (I'd love to know what her guy thinks about THAT), you've got a good chance but the path is still strewn with risks.

Reading your responses, I think you know that your friend may have feelings towards you. cheesy Don't worry about being 'lame'; lame would be you pining away for her without having said a word. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, my friend. Good luck and I hope things work out for you two.

Seriously the only way her boy will ever know we share boxers is if she wants to hurt him. The dude is sensitive about me and her already and that alone puts me in a really tight corner cause I have to gain his trust. You know what, I'll tell how I felt when I'm over it or the dude steps up his game cause now they are just dating and nothing serious but she likes him. I can't offer what the guy can in a relationship (I seriously suck in a bad way). Most times I have to be the one to tell her to overlook somethings the guy does and making it easy for him and harder for me. I'll just go see my mum in Vancouver B.C for the rest of the summer and I'm sure I'll get over it by the time I get back.
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by Travelista(f): 12:59pm On Jun 16, 2010
9jaganja:

Seriously the only way her boy will ever know we share boxers is if she wants to hurt him. The dude is sensitive about me and her already and that alone puts me in a really tight corner cause I have to gain his trust. You know what, I'll tell how I felt when I'm over it or the dude steps up his game cause now they are just dating and nothing serious but she likes him. I can't offer what the guy can in a relationship (I seriously suck in a bad way). Most times I have to be the one to tell her to overlook somethings the guy does and making it easy for him and harder for me. I'll just go see my mum in Vancouver B.C for the rest of the summer and I'm sure I'll get over it by the time I get back.

TALK TO HER!!
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by Travelista(f): 1:05pm On Jun 16, 2010
Travelista:

TALK TO HER!!

Um, that was weird. Let's try again:

9jaGanja, sounds like your friend is waiting on you to make your move. You don't need her boyfriend's trust; if he's not doing right by his girl, then he's bound to lose her to someone that will take care of her and it might as well be you. Don't be hard on yourself; I'm sure you don't suck. You know deep down that she likes you, don't you? Admit it and talk to her! I wonder how much your best friend truly likes her guy if she spends time braiding another guy's hair and wearing his underwear; that's beyond intimate. Don't go anywhere before talking to this girl; if you miss your chance, you will regret it.
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jun 16, 2010
Travelista:

TALK TO HER!!

It's hard sister!! I can't use any of my charms on her like I'll do with a girl I'm hitting on. If there is anything that I know about her it's that she gets confused or twisted easily and hates anything that does that to her. That's why I think I'll let things happen naturally instead of using my chemical imbalance as catalyst (It will mess me and her up). Nothing I can do to show her how I feel that I haven't done when the feeling wasn't there doing it now will not change anything she thinks instead she'll think I'm just being the funny dude as usual.
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by Travelista(f): 1:23pm On Jun 16, 2010
9jaganja:

It's hard sister!! I can't use any of my charms on her like I'll do with a girl I'm hitting on. If there is anything that I know about her it's that she gets confused or twisted easily and hates anything that does that to her. That's why I think I'll let things happen naturally instead of using my chemical imbalance as catalyst (It will mess me and her up).

Fair enough as you know her and I don't but don't leave every thing up to chance. There are somethings that you will have to do yourself to get an outcome that you'd like. It seriously sounds like she likes back; don't let this pass you by without trying.

I'm dating my best friend and have been for over a year now. He would always tell me that he loved me and I would just laugh it off. It wasn't until he sat me down and looked me straight in the eye and repeated himself that I started to see that he was serious. He never once pressured me into a relationship and I know it took a lot for him to put himself on the line (he's terribly sensitive but tries to hide it) but I'm glad he did.
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jun 16, 2010
Travelista:

Fair enough as you know her and I don't but don't leave every thing up to chance. There are somethings that you will have to do yourself to get an outcome that you'd like. It seriously sounds like she likes back; don't let this pass you by without trying.

I'm dating my best friend and have been for over a year now. He would always tell me that he loved me and I would just laugh it off. It wasn't until he sat me down and looked me straight in the eye and repeated himself that I started to see that he was serious. He never once pressured me into a relationship and I know it took a lot for him to put himself on the line (he's terribly sensitive but tries to hide it) but I'm glad he did.

Funny thing is I do that when I want to tease her about one dude that had a crush on her and she won't know I was about to be silly again until I say "My heart is going ping ping pong pong for you". But she understands alot of proverbial attitudes and gestures cause she majors in psychology. I think that will save me looking into her eyes and all the stuffs I really don't want to do. Your own story is encouraging. Thanks
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by sevule(m): 11:39am On Jun 17, 2010
Dude I understand your pain but you got to man up and tell the babe the nature of your feelings for her. You dont want to go through life wondering what could have been so as other posters said TELL HER!!!!!!! Forget the boyfriend and play your cards. And the funny thing is I believe that even if she does not agree to a relationship, your friendship would not be affected so take the plunge and stop procastinating!!!
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by Riodiao(m): 1:15pm On Jun 17, 2010
My broda take d advice of pro01, seduce her coz if u tell her ur feelings u mite get a negative response ie she would avoid u. It once happened 2 me. Secondly avoid her 4 a while, when she ask u why? U tell her u cant take her off ur mind, ur begining to fall 4 her. Maybe she mite b experiencing d same thing 2 and would let d cat out of d bag. I tell u what , dis 2 options would surely work. Try it out. Goodluck bro am waiting 2 hear ur testimony. Ha ha ha ha ha
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by Nobody: 7:13am On Jun 18, 2010
Thanks guys!! I'll let things happen. She said something today that made me realize she is more than just my best friend. I need to work on my commitment issues though. She was glad I had same feeling she had even though I didn't tell her she took the words out of my mouth and I joked it out so as to make it normal instead of awkward. I feel better now. Thanks y'all!!
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by Nobody: 7:14am On Jun 18, 2010
Ur welcome. Wish ya the best
Re: In Love With My Best Friend? by eridah2007(m): 8:24pm On Jun 18, 2010
We used 2 be gud friends, later we become lovers. cheesy

(1) (Reply)

How Confused Women Are? / Please What Does This Act Mean? / Whr Do I Get Wedding Ring In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.