Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,198 members, 7,950,146 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 09:18 AM

Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada (5580 Views)

Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem / Governor Fayose Spotted Riding Okada In Ekiti (photos) / Lagos Bans Hawking Of Drugs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by Pweety4me(f): 3:21pm On Jun 15, 2010
tkb417:

shocked shocked shocked
when the time is near, my wife will move to the hospital

cant drive a pregnant woman in labour, ill kill the 2 of us in fear

best thing is to have the hospital near my house

Fear, fear o laya rara o. . . cheesy tongue
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by tkb417(m): 3:22pm On Jun 15, 2010
Pweety4me:

Fear fear o laya rara o. . . cheesy tongue
haba
mi o laya o

cant sleep on same bed with a preg woman tongue
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by hercules07: 3:30pm On Jun 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

How do you know it is not good for their health? Answer that first . . . . how did you come to that conclusion by this ban?

So rather than directly tackling the Okada issue head on, the freedoms of a group of people in the society should be impinged on instead? So an Okada man cannot drive his pregnant wife to the hospital, even gently to the hospital? Pregnant woman who own motorbikes are barred from riding them for the duration of their pregnancy even when their is NO evidence to prove that riding on Okada is bad for the babies health?

When I say that it is not good for their health, I mean it is a dangerous means of transporting a pregnant woman, infact, for me it is dangerous means of transportation full stop. It is dangerous because of the way these Okada drivers ride(you need to see them in action), if the ban is in a place and an Okada rider wants to get his pregnant wife to the hospital, let him take a taxi or danfo or molue or keke Napep(abi taxi man no go chop). The law will affect some people negatively but it is for the common good.
Ideally the state government should regulate them, but that is a daunting task (let an Okada man hit your car and you try to remonstrate with him, u go hear wen).
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by Kobojunkie: 3:36pm On Jun 15, 2010
hercules07:

When I say that it is not good for their health, I mean it is a dangerous means of transporting a pregnant woman, infact, for me it is dangerous means of transportation full stop. It is dangerous because of the way these Okada drivers ride(you need to see them in action), if the ban is in a place and an Okada rider wants to get his pregnant wife to the hospital, let him take a taxi or danfo or molue or keke Napep(abi taxi man no go chop). The law will affect some people negatively but it is for the common good.
Hold on, so you admit it is a danger for EVERYONE, yet you are somehow UNWILLING to have the law AFFECT you but SOME OTHER PEOPLE negatively instead? So, again, the FREEDOMs of pregnant women, who are themselves adults and able to make their own decisions, should be impinged upon by the state government while yours need not be?
By the way, any proof that Okada's are all more dangerous than Taxi drivers or are you assuming that because you have seen the bad, means they are all bad?
hercules07:

Ideally the state government should regulate them, but that is a daunting task (let an Okada man hit your car and you try to remonstrate with him, u go hear wen).
That is not even an Okada problem but a Government issue.
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by DisGuy: 3:37pm On Jun 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

How do you know it is not good for their health? Answer that first . . . . how did you come to that conclusion by this ban?

So rather than directly tackling the Okada issue head on, the freedoms of a group of people in the society should be impinged on instead? So an Okada man cannot drive his pregnant wife to the hospital, even gently to the hospital? Pregnant woman who own motorbikes are barred from riding them for the duration of their pregnancy even when their is NO evidence to prove that riding on Okada is bad for the babies health?

No o, there are ambulance up and down teh state now even at 2am, not just in Lekki, i hear about ambulance patrolling my area in ajegunle just hop in, aint you heard about the helicopters too? They are multi-purpose

If the governemnt allow preganat women to travel on public transport for free that will be a good idea- plus school kids under 16 with an I.D and Older people over 60 with proof of I.D or address
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by Kobojunkie: 3:44pm On Jun 15, 2010
My issue is more with the need to stifle freedom in the name of unsupported safety . . Danfos and other rickety motors out there pose as much danger, some cases even more danger to the babies and the pregnant woman, than the okadas. Unborn babies are more likely to develop health issues when pregnant women are forced to sit for hours in traffic, with all the fumes and exhausts from all the idle cars and trucks.
So, is a ban really a SENSIBLE solution or just the same old "BAN FIRST, THINK LATER" solution we seem to have for all things in Nigeria?
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by Pweety4me(f): 3:49pm On Jun 15, 2010
tkb417:

haba
mi o laya o

cant sleep on same bed with a preg woman tongue
Hehe don't worry u'll overcome it eventually. . . smiley
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by Rastamann: 4:18pm On Jun 15, 2010
Given the rate of accidents by these Okadas and the way the okada drivers ride the okada, one will definitely say it's a good pronouncement but the government should provide better alternatives for these visible pregnant women and school children.
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by indie22(f): 4:25pm On Jun 15, 2010
Okadas (tho nescessary for some pple sometimes )are dangerous and a huge nuisance, they're are so bad in lekki that an okada accident is now a usual occurence. Half the time they are high on sum cheap drug they sniff from an handkerchief (dont know what it is, but i see them) or drunk on shepe or sum cheap liquor and even fight with car owners for right of way.

I've seen mothers carrying babies on okadas on the lekki expressway and wonder why anybody would want to risk their lives like that, ban them altogether or better still restrict them to inner streets, they should be not be allowed on any expressway at all, i think the keke marwa would actually be a safer option.
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by hercules07: 4:26pm On Jun 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

My issue is more with the need to stifle freedom in the name of unsupported safety   . .  Danfos and other rickety motors out there pose as much danger, some cases even more danger to the babies and the pregnant woman, than the okadas. Unborn babies are more likely to develop health issues when pregnant women are forced to sit for hours in traffic, with all the fumes and exhausts from all the idle cars and trucks.
So, is a ban really a SENSIBLE solution or just the same old "BAN FIRST, THINK LATER" solution we seem to have for all things in Nigeria?

I am saying ban okada for everybody outright, be it pregnant women, unpregnant women, any and everybody, they constitute a nuisance to the society, I am prepared to walk kilometers if they are banned, afterall I travel to PH where they are banned and I am still able to move around. Danfos are dangerous no doubt, but the okadas are in a world of their own.
I have suggested alternatives such as Keke Napep and other "safer" methods.
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by pj5(f): 4:28pm On Jun 15, 2010
Please oh, what are pregnant women who live in areas only okadas can ply to do in the circumstances?

Again, since the law deals with women who strap babies to their back, what if the baby is held on the mother's laps or up high to the skies, grin is any law broken?

I vote for maternity cabs or brts all the wayy!
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by wazobiang: 4:34pm On Jun 15, 2010
good starting point.
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by CarlosVent(m): 4:37pm On Jun 15, 2010
well its d best bt dey shuld provide alternative cos if those women wil b in emergency wat wil dey do?
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by Kobojunkie: 4:42pm On Jun 15, 2010
hercules07:

I am saying ban okada for everybody outright, be it pregnant women, unpregnant women, any and everybody, they constitute a nuisance to the society, I am prepared to walk kilometers if they are banned, afterall I travel to PH where they are banned and I am still able to move around. Danfos are dangerous no doubt, but the okadas are in a world of their own.
I think you are missing the main issue here. Okada's are not just here for nothing, they serve a purpose. That you can walk kilometers in some areas does not mean you can in all areas. Try some of the back communities and you will likely revise your talk there.
Lagos is not PH . . . I can bet you there are parts of PH where people are currently hating the ban on Okada. Now, Okada fills a need. Do you BAN before you provide an alternative? Or do you FIRST provide a better alternative and then watch people leave Okada for it? Remember Okada was not always needed in most of Nigeria.

hercules07:

I have suggested alternatives such as Keke Napep and other "safer" methods.
Are Keke Napep's able to get people from point A to point B in relative time as Okada can? By the way, you did not answer my Danfo question, or I think I did ask a question.
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by tamme: 4:53pm On Jun 15, 2010
Woke4all:

Those ladies with natural big tommy are in trouble too.
grin grin
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by hercules07: 5:00pm On Jun 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I think you are missing the main issue here. Okada's are not just here for nothing, they serve a purpose. That you can walk kilometers in some areas does not mean you can in all areas. Try some of the back communities and you will likely revise your talk there.
Lagos is not PH . . . I can bet you there are parts of PH where people are currently hating the ban on Okada. Now, Okada fills a need. Do you BAN before you provide an alternative? Or do you FIRST provide a better alternative and then watch people leave Okada for it? Remember Okada was not always needed in most of Nigeria.
Are Keke Napep's able to get people from point A to point B in relative time as Okada can? By the way, you did not answer my Danfo question, or I think I did ask a question.

The alternatives are already here, Keke Napep can get to where Okadas go, maybe if they ban the Okadas in those back communities the people will sit on their representatives to do something about good access roads.
The other alternatives will be to build better roads and provide other means of transportation, I believe Fashola is working on that, but, while he is, LETS BAN THE BLOODY OKADAS.
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by Kobojunkie: 5:09pm On Jun 15, 2010
hercules07:

The alternatives are already here, Keke Napep can get to where Okadas go, maybe if they ban the Okadas in those back communities the people will sit on their representatives to do something about good access roads.
Please read your own posts there. You are saying a better alternative already exists and runs in these areas but people REFUSE to ride the better alternatives? You also mention people sitting down to tell their reps to do something about good access roads?
hercules07:

The other alternatives will be to build better roads and provide other means of transportation, I believe Fashola is working on that, but, while he is, LETS BAN THE BLOODY OKADAS.
Again, can you at least provide for on the ground solutions and points to support this ban. Like I said earlier, the Okada's currently serve a purpose for which there seems no better alternative yet. A Ban will not be necessary IF a better alternative exists cause that is usually how the minds work even in places like Nigeria. If they find they can get from point A to B in a better way, I doubt people will still opt for Okada instead.

This "ban first, think later" method of solving problems is ridiculous
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by hercules07: 5:12pm On Jun 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Keke Napeps take a longer time because they are saner than the Okada riders. Danfos pose dangers sure, but, their recklessness is being curbed up to an extent by the LASTMA guys and by the rent takers on the road and compared to okadas, they are much much safer.
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by hercules07: 5:17pm On Jun 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Please read your own posts there. You are saying a better alternative already exists and runs in these areas but people REFUSE to ride the better alternatives? You also mention people sitting down to tell their reps to do something about good access roads? Again, can you at least provide for on the ground solutions and points to support this ban. Like I said earlier, the Okada's currently serve a purpose for which there seems no better alternative yet. A Ban will not be necessary IF a better alternative exists cause that is usually how the minds work even in places like Nigeria. If they find they can get from point A to B in a better way, I doubt people will still opt for Okada instead.

This "ban first, think later" method of solving problems is ridiculous

Lagosians are always in a hurry now. People take Okadas because they are faster, they are faster partly because they do not obey traffic rules (have you seen them at traffic lights?), the keke Napep can come in to take over the routes being run by these Okadas, they are already doing so. The on the ground solution is what worked before the Okadas were here and what is working in those states that they have been banned or maybe I should go the Ojo Maduekwe's way, make everybody buy bicycle.
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by babapupa: 5:37pm On Jun 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Going on and on spewing the the same nonsense about filling the need, you not only sound irresponsible as usual, you sound thoughtless and heartless. No responsible government looks the other way while the people they swore to serve and protects gets maimed and killed because of other people's needs.

What government sets up a special hospital unit just to treat victims and perpetrators of your so called need? Going to that extreme means something is wrong somewhere and something got to be done. It is an sustainable situation.

How do you justify putting your silly needs above other people's lives and safety?

Faulty or not, we still have public transportation and just like in a lot of societies, don't we used to walk from the bus stops to our final destinations?

And what other alternatives are you talking about? We don't have public transportation? Or you just need to have a few limbs broken and some deaths just because you need door to door drop off service?

Okada is not and shouldn't be the only means of livelihood and if for whatever reason you have none, there are vocational trades, apprenticeship, Abi what happened to that age long tradition of learning some lasting skills that could also be taught others.

Putting the lives of the citizenry in the hands of illiterates and unskilled riders is absolutely insane and irresponsible.

If you can not learn a trade or aquire some other kinds of skills, go back to your towns and villages and find something to do, the state can not sustain millions of people entering Lagos with no money, no place to stay and eventually defaulting to quick money ventures like Okada @ the expense of vulnerable Lagosians.
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by hercules07: 5:40pm On Jun 15, 2010
babapupa:

Going on and on spewing the the same nonsense about filling the need, you not only sound irresponsible as usual, you sound thoughtless and heartless. No responsible government looks the other way while the people they swore to serve and protects gets maimed and killed because of other people's needs.

What government sets up a special hospital unit just to treat victims and perpetrators of your so called need? Going to that extreme means something is wrong somewhere and something got to be done. It is an sustainable situation.

How do you justify putting your silly needs above other people's lives and safety?

Faulty or not, we still have public transportation and just like in a lot of societies, don't we used to walk from the bus stops to our final destinations?

And what other alternatives are you talking about? We don't have public transportation? Or you just need to have a few limbs broken and some deaths just because you need door to door drop off service?

Okada is not and shouldn't be the only means of livelihood and if for whatever reason you have none, there are vocational trades, apprenticeship, Abi what happened to that age long tradition of learning some lasting skills that could also be taught others.

Putting the lives of the citizenry in the hands of illiterates and unskilled riders is absolutely insane and irresponsible.

If you can not learn a trade or aquire some other kinds of skills, go back to your towns and villages and find something to do, the state can not sustain millions of people entering Lagos with no money, no place to stay and eventually defaulting to quick money ventures like Okada @ the expense of vulnerable Lagosians.  

Bros that was rather harsh o, though true in the case of those unskilled okadas, one day one day you and Kobo will get along.
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by Kobojunkie: 5:43pm On Jun 15, 2010
hercules07:

Lagosians are always in a hurry now. People take Okadas because they are faster, they are faster partly because they do not obey traffic rules (have you seen them at traffic lights?),
Lagosians are not the only people in a hurry. . . people in other cities who know time is money are also in a hurry. But they do not all have the same Okada issues lagos is dealing with. So, definitely being in a hurry is NOT TO BLAME for this. Like I have said over and over now, Okada's fill a gap that remains open . . .  following the principle of demand and supply, when the demand for no fuss form of transport became high, the Okada's showed up in Lagos and have continued to multiply with the years.

hercules07:

the keke Napep can come in to take over the routes being run by these Okadas, they are already doing so. The on the ground solution is what worked before the Okadas were here and what is working in those states that they have been banned or maybe I should go the Ojo Maduekwe's way, make everybody buy bicycle.
You are kidding, right? Let me give you a reality here. Before Okada's, Lagos did not have the current level of issues with traffic. Okada's became a necessity as the traffic issue worsened, along with the situation with the roads.

After all the argument you gave on Okada's being dangerous, you are willing to now claim that Bicycles are a better option? ROFLMAO!!!
Do you have any real clues what the real issue is in Lagos? Cause it is beginning to seem you are confusing your personal bias against Okadas with the real issue with Okadas in Lagos.
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by babapupa: 5:48pm On Jun 15, 2010
Kobo i
hercules07:

Bros that was rather harsh o, though true in the case of those unskilled okadas, one day one day you and Kobo will get along.

How do you get along with a mindless troll? His concerns has never been about Lagosians and what's good for Lagos as a state.
Like I said before, I do understand the need to criticize governmental actions sometimes, but if in your warped mind, criticizing anything and everything 24/7 with zero understanding and concern for the people of Lagos state, it means you have other issues against the state and the people of Lagos state.

And like I said before, I'll always be around to address his nonsensical follies and silly utterances.
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by daog: 5:50pm On Jun 15, 2010
Gov Fashola, eko o baje o
i honestly wish this honourable man can lead Nigeria to her promise land
i believe in u sir
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by ziga: 5:52pm On Jun 15, 2010
Nice move by the LASG.

How can we use the problem of traffic to justify the use of Okadas? People who will ride on okada will always ride on it. Traffic or no traffic. And people who will not will not, traffic or no traffic.

And what is the argument about. Bikes are not a safe means of transportation for pregnant women with protruding bellies (they can't sit in the middle of the bike seat) little children (their feet will not reach to enable them to get any support)

And i believe the lives of pregnant mothers and children should be of utmost importance to any government.

Life can be so simple, but some activists will just not let it be.
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by hercules07: 5:54pm On Jun 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Lagosians are not the only people in a hurry. . . people in other cities who know time is money are also in a hurry. But they do not all have the same Okada issues lagos is dealing with. So, definitely being in a hurry is NOT TO BLAME for this. Like I have said over and over now, Okada's fill a gap that remains open . . .  following the principle of demand and supply, when the demand for no fuss form of transport became high, the Okada's showed up in Lagos and have continued to multiply with the years.

You are kidding, right? Let me give you a reality check here. Before Okada's, Lagos did not have the current level of issues with traffic. Okada's became a necessity as the traffic issue worsened, along with the situation with the roads.
After all the argument you gave on Okada's being dangerous, you are willing to now claim that Bicycles are a better option? ROFLMAO!!!
Do you have any real clues what the real issue is in Lagos? Cause it is beginning to seem you are confusing your personal bias against Okadas with the real issue with Okadas in Lagos.

Lagos Hurry no get part two o except maybe Kano and I heard that they are also a menace over there. The Bicycle thing was with tongue firmly in the cheek ( I no know book o). Before Okadas, Lagos had a terrible level of issues with traffic and we had no Third Mainland bridge ( I grew up in Lagos in the 80s, traffic on Ikorodu road was hell). I have clues what the issues are because I face them everyday. Okadas would have been a good way to move if the riders were disciplined and not on some cheap drugs, unfortunately, they are not and can not be made disciplined. Please visit a typical police station to see how many okadas are seized on a daily basis, visit Igbobi to see what they are doing to people's legs
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by Kobojunkie: 6:07pm On Jun 15, 2010
hercules07:

Lagos Hurry no get part two o except maybe Kano and I heard that they are also a menace over there. The Bicycle thing was with tongue firmly in the cheek ( I no know book o).
Again, hurry is NOT a problem. I live in a huge metropolitan area and hurry is accommodated because people have to get from point A to B in time no matter what. The state is constantly looking for ways to ease traffic and that is NORMAL in metro areas.
The bicycle thing is NOT wrong because there is NO PROOF that riding bicycles/motorcycles are MORE DANGEROUS than riding in cars if all other things are well taken care of. So it is TOO EASY to blame the bicycle rider or the motorcyclists for all accidents. Granted, some Okada riders ride dangerously but NOT ALL Okada riders are that dangerous and so banning is a lazy minds way out of problems that need to be seriously tackled.

hercules07:

Before Okadas, Lagos had a terrible level of issues with traffic and we had no Third Mainland bridge ( I grew up in Lagos in the 80s, traffic on Ikorodu road was hell). I have clues what the issues are because I face them everyday.
I lived in the same Lagos late 70's through 90's fulltime, and I know for a fact that the traffic problem back then is NOT half/not even a quarter as bad as it is today. I remember when Marwa started dualization projects on so many of the roads, especially Ikorodu road, that eased a lot of the traffic problem in that area fast. But you know how Lagos population is constantly growing, so it is government's place to continue to adapt and find solutions.
Okada started showing up late 90's because of the rise in population, bad roads and traffic issues. Okada's used to be limited to remote villages and stuff. Even there back then Danfo's were more in use than OKadas.

hercules07:

Okadas would have been a good way to move if the riders were disciplined and not on some cheap drugs, unfortunately, they are not and can not be made disciplined. Please visit a typical police station to see how many okadas are seized on a daily basis, visit Igbobi to see what they are doing to people's legs
I am not an OKada fan myself but I know that you are seriously generalizing, and making some false assertions. Okada riders can be tamed and quickly too. All the government has to do is same it has done to cause people to pay taxes -- enforce rules and stuff. Seizing Okada's is not even supposed to be an option since it is NOT illegal to ride those. Thinking of the same applied to cars. Imagine the police seizing cars are a way of solving some car related issue on the road.
People are NOT FORCED to get on Okada's, and so it is cheap to claim that a ban is better because igbobi is filled with people who have been in Okada accidents. There are better ways to deal with this issue than instituting complete bans or bans on Okada riding for pregnant women, who by the way mostly have brains of their own to figure what is good or not good for themselves. Maybe education is a better option, however a ban remains the typical "BAN first USE OUR BRAINS LATER" approach to solving issues.
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by mamagee3(f): 6:19pm On Jun 15, 2010
Let's watch and see how far this new law would go.

I bet it wouldn't last for long.
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jun 15, 2010
been waiting to hear this.
I am glad to hear.
it is always fatal if accident on a bike involves a pregnant woman, babies, children as they are sluggish to react like people who are more active.
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by hercules07: 6:23pm On Jun 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Again, hurry is NOT a problem. I live in a huge metropolitan area and hurry is accommodated because people have to get from point A to B in time no matter what. The state is constantly looking for ways to ease traffic and that is NORMAL in metro areas.
The bicycle thing is NOT wrong because there is NO PROOF that riding bicycles/motorcycles are MORE DANGEROUS than riding in cars if all other things are well taken care of. So it is TOO EASY to blame the bicycle rider or the motorcyclists for all accidents. Granted, some Okada riders ride dangerously but NOT ALL Okada riders are that dangerous and so banning is a lazy minds way out of problems that need to be seriously tackled.
I lived in the same Lagos late 70's through 90's fulltime, and I know for a fact that the traffic problem back then is NOT half/not even a quarter as bad as it is today. I remember when Marwa started dualization projects on so many of the roads, especially Ikorodu road, that eased a  lot of the traffic problem in that area fast. But you know how Lagos population is constantly growing, so it is government's place to continue to adapt and find solutions.
Okada started showing up late 90's because of the rise in population, bad roads and traffic issues. Okada's used to be limited to remote villages and stuff. Even there back then Danfo's were more in use than OKadas.
I am not an OKada fan myself but I know that you are seriously generalizing, and making some false assertions. Okada riders can be tamed and quickly too. All the government has to do is same it has done to cause people to pay taxes -- enforce rules and stuff. Seizing Okada's is not even supposed to be an option since it is NOT illegal to ride those. Thinking of the same applied to cars. Imagine the police seizing cars are a way of solving some car related issue on the road.
People are NOT FORCED to get on Okada's, and so it is cheap to claim that a ban is better because igbobi is filled with people who have been in Okada accidents. There are better ways to deal with this issue than instituting complete bans or bans on Okada riding for pregnant women, who by the way mostly have brains of their own to figure what is good or not good for themselves. Maybe education is a better option, however a ban remains the typical "BAN first USE OUR BRAINS LATER" approach to solving issues.

I see where you are coming from but trust me it is easier to reform our politicians than to reform the Okada men or other road users (I accept that other road users can be mad too). Marwa fixed the Odo Iya Alaro bridge (the one that links Maryland to Ojota) he did not really dualise Ikorodu road. Traffic is heavier now, but it was heavy then, very heavy.
Fashola said something that I really like, he is committed to fixing the roads that lead to our areas, from there, we should find our way. Lagos State can not solve the transportation issues without a mass transit system in place, the mass transit system will take years to build, while we are building it, we need to look at short term solutions. Lets just apply the method hercules used to clean the augean stables, ban the bloody guys.
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by Kobojunkie: 6:36pm On Jun 15, 2010
hercules07:

I see where you are coming from but trust me it is easier to reform our politicians than to reform the Okada men or other road users (I accept that other road users can be mad too). Marwa fixed the Odo Iya Alaro bridge (the one that links Maryland to Ojota) he did not really dualise Ikorodu road. Traffic is heavier now, but it was heavy then, very heavy.
I actually believe the events of the last three years have gone to show that what people need is a leader to inject some structure and they will follow. The Tax system in lagos speaks to this.
Marwa actually did create extra lanes on some portions of Ikorodu road and many of the roads in Ikorodu. Traffic used to be hell for people working in Lagos but living in Ikorodu before then. Even the bridges were in really bad straits at one point that it was safer to get over them on Okada than in a danfo or molue back then.
Yes, traffic is so many times heavier now but it used to be heavy back in the days and why governments kept needing to, not only maintain old roads but construct new ones/create extra lanes existing ones to ease the situation. In the state I live in, we have 4 lanes on the main way and an extra express lane.

hercules07:

Fashola said something that I really like, he is committed to fixing the roads that lead to our areas, from there, we should find our way. Lagos State can not solve the transportation issues without a mass transit system in place, the mass transit system will take years to build, while we are building it, we need to look at short term solutions. Lets just apply the method hercules used to clean the augean stables, ban the bloody guys.
But how is banning Okada or banning pregnant women from riding Okada's a SHORT-TERM solution to the transportation issue? You do realize that Hercules never really did exist as the stories claim and the reality is when you ban something without providing an immediate and more times better alternative, 99% of the time you CREATE a new problem of possibly equal magnitude or more or more in some cases.
Re: Lagos Bans Pregnant Women From Riding Okada by hercules07: 7:19pm On Jun 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I actually believe the events of the last three years have gone to show that what people need is a leader to inject some structure and they will follow. The Tax system in lagos speaks to this.
Marwa actually did create extra lanes on some portions of Ikorodu road and many of the roads in Ikorodu. Traffic used to be hell for people working in Lagos but living in Ikorodu before then. Even the bridges were in really bad straits at one point that it was safer to get over them on Okada than in a danfo or molue back then.
Yes, traffic is so many times heavier now but it used to be heavy back in the days and why governments kept needing to, not only maintain old roads but construct new ones/create extra lanes existing ones to ease the situation. In the state I live in, we have 4 lanes on the main way and an extra express lane.
But how is banning Okada or banning pregnant women from riding Okada's a SHORT-TERM solution to the transportation issue? You do realize that Hercules never really did exist as the stories claim and the reality is when you ban something without providing an immediate and more times better alternative, 99% of the time you CREATE a new problem of possibly equal magnitude or more or more in some cases.

It is a short term solution to creating some semblance of order on lagos roads (okadas create a lot of chaos), just went out to buy some asun (dont know the english word for it), and you need to see the okada guys and their riding. As I said, I can see that you are canvassing an end to end solution that will not single out the Okada as being the main cause of the transport wahala, it is an admirable thing to do, but, it wont work in present day Nigeria, we do things in instalments here.
I now realize the bloody guy did not exist (thanks for bringing it to my notice), the solution to the augean stables is still the best one, we need to take drastic actions in some areas you know. I also need to change my name, maybe to phantom.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can Our Leaders Do This In Nigeria (pix Attached) / Photos:Welcome To Port Harcourt,A City Full Of Beauty / Natural Supplement To Reverse Diabetes.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.