Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,743 members, 7,875,859 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:43 PM

Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). (14555 Views)

Kwara Court Jails 24-Year-Old Man For Criminally Charming, Raping Teenager / How Do You Handle A Criminally Minded Young Girl / IGP Never Disobeyed President’s Orders – Insiders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by adesina746: 2:31pm On Jul 22, 2018
tobiasbeecher:

Your first sentence just revealed to me the kind of man you're - a man not properly brought up! Having said that I will like to ask you to differentiate between these two sentences and tell me which one is more correct and unambiguous. "Social media is a technology available to those that are criminally minded''. Social media is a technology also available to those that are criminally minded. If you cannot differentiate these two sentences, then I will take it that you're not sound enough as a human.

I can see how properly brought up you are due to your lack of intelligence. Back to the matter first and foremost did u correct the person who called the op illiterate or the one that said the op is mad? You cannot go about insulting people anyhow. If you notice all my comments i use the exact word anyone uses to abuse to abuse the person back so if it hurts them then they should know it hurts whoever they said it to. U can never see me be the first to raise insult on an individual i rather make my comment and pass my message across.

Now to your question Social media is a technology available to those that are criminally minded'' this means the I.G is directly pointing to a group of people and making it known that they can use it for their ulterior motives

While assuming the I.G first mentioned about the good and serious people using social media then this comes to play "Social media is a technology also available to those that are criminally minded". meaning the criminally minded people are the third party here. But in the real contest the two phrases are the same and mean the same thing

N.B one is direct and the other is to a third party depending on what preceded the phrase

2 Likes

Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by udemzyudex(m): 2:34pm On Jul 22, 2018
Yeah he was quoted out of context, though all he said was rubbish.

Sometimes I wonder if these guys take time to think or revise what they intend to say before coming to the public.
Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by uba1991: 2:34pm On Jul 22, 2018
D useless media houses has turn to radio biafra with fake news
Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by OgogoroNo2: 2:40pm On Jul 22, 2018
This IGP again?
Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by adesina746: 2:41pm On Jul 22, 2018
tobiasbeecher:

Please, don't give up on my case but rather give up on your life as you cannot understand a simple sentence. No, it is not everybody that is looking for paid employment, some people are into private undertakings. Word of advice: stop preempting people's mind as you don't know what they mean by what they say. This is what you and the OP is trying to do. We cannot read the IG's mind, we judge him from what he says.

From the way you are angry i can see that you are struggling intellectually. I wont argue with you after this. First i dont need to be in ur mind to understand what you are saying or what you mean. One principle i have always lived my life on is never to be sentimental no matter what. Let me tell you the benefit of that because we all learn and you might not know. If you find yourself working with a group of people as a team there is the probability of you not liking a person or two, now if you are not sentimental and biased towards those people you will be able to work with them to achieve success in the task u set out to do because the success of the job or task is what will be your priority.

Secondly you will see things clearer and you will be more productive with yourself. And a whole lots of other benefits. The only thing i see in your comment is your hatred for probably the I.G that is why you didnt understand the simple message the OP passed across. You are the one who needs to work on your life to be more intelligent. Nobody is forcing anything into anybodies mind. Stay blessed

1 Like

Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by Bianda24: 2:43pm On Jul 22, 2018
it is a case of giving a dog a bad name in order to hang it. However, the Inspector General is also not a responsive officer . I think he should be more careful in his approach.

People are calling for scraping of SARS, he should have investigated that claim and fish out some bad element within SARS. SARS may be doing a laudable job, but some disgruntled element are destroying the good works of others
Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by positivethought: 2:50pm On Jul 22, 2018
TechCapon:
TechCapon

From this thread https://www.nairaland.com/4629930/igp-ibrahim-idris-social-media

Reacting to this post that has gone viral on the Nigerian cyberspace about a comment made by the inspector general of police (IGP) Ibrahim Idris that he said that social media is for the criminally minded. First thing that came to my mind was how can he say a thing like that when the Nigerian police has several active social media accounts, EFCC, ICPC and all other security agencies have social media account both Facebook and Twitter. This comment generated a lot of controversy online to the point I decided to watch the video myself on YouTube to see how such a comment would spew out of such a high profile individual. Idris was purported to have said this while answering questions from newsmen shortly after attending a function in Abuja on Friday.
The Police boss was asked what the Force is currently doing about restructuring the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) as more Nigerians are calling for the end of police unit.
Responding, Idris who expressed dismay at the question, said:

“You see, you have to be careful about this clamoring.
“Social media is a technology available to those that are criminally minded and we have to be careful on how we respond to this clamoring like you are saying.

“SARS is a unit of the police that I believe should be sustained, what we are doing is to ensure that they are properly trained, and we are providing facilities for them that will make work easy for them. But I have to tell you that they are doing a very wonderful job.”

Now after analyzing this video with my team, we see no where he said social media is FOR THE CRIMINALLY MINDED, rather he said it is a TECHNOLOGY AVAILABLE TO THE CRIMINALLY MINDED which is true. English scholars can easily decipher this because they are not the same thing. What he said is correct just the same way people use churches and other institutions for criminal purposes, same way they use social media. So what the IGP said is very correct. I see no reason for controversy. The funniest thing about this issue is that many people who reacted to this claim never watched the video, they never took time to listen to what the IGP said they just concluded and started bashing him online. Please I know the security situation in the country is not so good and everyone is angry but let’s not heat up the atmosphere any further. I also call on fellow bloggers to be extremely careful with the way we pass our information around because the internet is very powerful. Techcapon.com has decided to clarify this ensure everyone gets the right information. Thank you

SOURCE:https://techcapon.com/correction-igp-ibrahim-idris-never-said-social-media-is-for-the-criminally-minded/

Watch the video again and this time very carefully

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzptM6-9zEs
The IGP could easily have said"the social media is an available wonderful technology but it can also easily be used by the criminal minded to commit crimes" but i guess as it has happen severally the IGP talks before thinking instead of the other way round,op you are only doing damage control like one lawyer that wrote in defense of kemiAdeosun claiming that in law you can not be guilty of obtaining what you are entitled to by fraudulent means!,but in all with Apc i'm not suprised.
Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by tobiasbeecher: 2:55pm On Jul 22, 2018
[s]
adesina746:

From the way you are angry i can see that you are struggling intellectually. I wont argue with you after this. First i dont need to be in ur mind to understand what you are saying or what you mean. One principle i have always lived my life on is never to be sentimental no matter what. Let me tell you the benefit of that because we all learn and you might not know. If you find yourself working with a gruop of people as a team there is the probability of you not liking a person or two, now if you are not sentimental and biased towards those people you will be able to work with them to achieve success in the task u set out to do because the success of the jib or task is what will be your priority.

Secondly you will see things clearer and you will be more productive with yourself. And a whole lots of other benefits. The only thing i see in your comment is your hatred for probably the I.G that is why you didnt understand the simple message the OP passed across. You are the one who needs to work on your life to be more intelligent. Nobody is forcing anything into anybodies mind. Stay blessed
[/s]
I think the highlighted aptly describes you. You're the person going all over the place using abusive words on people for countering what the OP said. The problem with people like you is that as a result of your intellectual arrogance, you always slide into dictatorship - dictating to people what to believe and how to understand a situation. You can keep on twisting what the IG said, but English is English and its meaning can never be distorted by some pseudo-intellectuals just because they want to protect an interest. All you wrote here are complete gibberish as ir doesn't have a connection to the subject matter.

1 Like

Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by adesina746: 2:58pm On Jul 22, 2018
tobiasbeecher:
[s][/s]
I think the highlighted aptly describes you. You're the person going all over the place using abusive words on people for countering what the OP said. The problem with people like you is that as a result of your intellectual arrogance, you always slide into dictatorship - dictating to people what to believe and how to understand a situation. You can keep on twisting what the IG said, but English is English and its meaning can never be distorted by some pseudo-intellectuals just because they want to protect an interest. All you wrote here are complete gibberish as ir doesn't have a connection to the subject matter.

It is well my brother you have a right to ur opinion. God bless us all
Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by tobiasbeecher: 3:07pm On Jul 22, 2018
adesina746:

I can see how properly brought up you are due to your lack of intelligence. Back to the matter first and foremost did u correct the person who called the op illiterate or the one that said the op is mad? You cannot go about insulting people anyhow. If you notice all my comments i use the exact word anyone uses to abuse to abuse the person back so if it hurts them then they should know it hurts whoever they said it to. U can never see me be the first to raise insult on an individual i rather make my comment and pass my message across.

Now to your question Social media is a technology available to those that are criminally minded'' this means the I.G is directly pointing to a group of people and making it known that they can use it for their ulterior motives

While assuming the I.G first mentioned about the good and serious people using social media then this comes to play "Social media is a technology also available to those that are criminally minded". meaning the criminally minded people are the third party here. But in the real contest the two phrases are the same and mean the same thing

N.B one is direct and the other is to a third party depending on what preceded the phrase
@the highlighted and italicized part of your sentence, how do you know that is what the IG meant? Why are you assuming that is what he meant? Do you judge what is in people's mind or what they say? Go and read about fallacy of ambiguity Mr man and stop forming "I know it all better than the others''. Had it been that he answered ''you know, social media is also a technology available to the...'' I don't think anybody will question him.
Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by adesina746: 3:14pm On Jul 22, 2018
tobiasbeecher:

@the highlighted and italicized part of your sentence, how do you know that is what the IG meant? Why are you assuming that is what he meant? Do you judge what is in people's mind or what they say? Go and read about fallacy of ambiguity Mr man and stop forming "I know it all better than the others''. Had it been that he answered ''you know, social media is also a technology available to the...'' I don't think anybody will question him.

Like i said it is well
Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by Algaddaf: 3:29pm On Jul 22, 2018
Hmmm I like IGP for speaking the truth. Most people criticizing are the criminals spreading fake news. .
Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by Jaqenhghar: 3:35pm On Jul 22, 2018
TechCapon:
TechCapon

From this thread https://www.nairaland.com/4629930/igp-ibrahim-idris-social-media

Reacting to this post that has gone viral on the Nigerian cyberspace about a comment made by the inspector general of police (IGP) Ibrahim Idris that he said that social media is for the criminally minded. First thing that came to my mind was how can he say a thing like that when the Nigerian police has several active social media accounts, EFCC, ICPC and all other security agencies have social media account both Facebook and Twitter. This comment generated a lot of controversy online to the point I decided to watch the video myself on YouTube to see how such a comment would spew out of such a high profile individual. Idris was purported to have said this while answering questions from newsmen shortly after attending a function in Abuja on Friday.
The Police boss was asked what the Force is currently doing about restructuring the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) as more Nigerians are calling for the end of police unit.
Responding, Idris who expressed dismay at the question, said:

“You see, you have to be careful about this clamoring.
“Social media is a technology available to those that are criminally minded and we have to be careful on how we respond to this clamoring like you are saying.

“SARS is a unit of the police that I believe should be sustained, what we are doing is to ensure that they are properly trained, and we are providing facilities for them that will make work easy for them. But I have to tell you that they are doing a very wonderful job.”

Now after analyzing this video with my team, we see no where he said social media is FOR THE CRIMINALLY MINDED, rather he said it is a TECHNOLOGY AVAILABLE TO THE CRIMINALLY MINDED which is true. English scholars can easily decipher this because they are not the same thing. What he said is correct just the same way people use churches and other institutions for criminal purposes, same way they use social media. So what the IGP said is very correct. I see no reason for controversy. The funniest thing about this issue is that many people who reacted to this claim never watched the video, they never took time to listen to what the IGP said they just concluded and started bashing him online. Please I know the security situation in the country is not so good and everyone is angry but let’s not heat up the atmosphere any further. I also call on fellow bloggers to be extremely careful with the way we pass our information around because the internet is very powerful. Techcapon.com has decided to clarify this ensure everyone gets the right information. Thank you

SOURCE:https://techcapon.com/correction-igp-ibrahim-idris-never-said-social-media-is-for-the-criminally-minded/

Watch the video again and this time very carefully

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzptM6-9zEs
I agree with this point of yours...... people should listen well and understand but this talk about heating up the atmosphere let me ask you. To you is the atmosphere not hot enough with people ( law abiding tax paying citizens) being killed by those paid to protect them (ironically from their pockets). How hot does the atmosphere have to get before people are supposed to protest or make known their greviance on social media. Is it until one of yours is affected?
Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by jeffoe(m): 3:42pm On Jul 22, 2018
Bianda24:
it is a case of giving a dog a bad name in order to hang it. However, the Inspector General is also not a responsive officer . I think he should be more careful in his approach.

People are calling for scraping of SARS, he should have investigated that claim and fish out some bad element within SARS. SARS may be doing a laudable job, but some disgruntled element are destroying the good works of others
you think it is that easy, but have you heard of the x-squad? corrupt person would always find ways around due process . A lot of machineries have been put in place it just wouldn't work. You just Cannot totally eradicate corrupt member of SARS or the police same way you cannot completely eradicate corruption in the larger Nigerian society. How do you tackle the case of regular policeman impersonating SARS. SARS are Nigerian. No be same Nigeria go sell vote for ekiti elections. Ending Sars would only increase the level of armed robbery

1 Like

Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jul 22, 2018
Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by ItsMeAboki(m): 4:26pm On Jul 22, 2018
No doubt the handwork of the intellectually lazy (and a growing irresponsibly biased media) that is how they continue to deliberately misinterpret the president - including the infamous 97% vs 5% which was clearly quite the opposite of what he actually said.

I am glad that this kind of negativity is being independently noticed and exposed by more intelligent folks to educate the otherwise gullible.

1 Like

Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by Viruscod3d: 4:34pm On Jul 22, 2018
The op has suddenly become a mind reader grin grin .. keep it up. In simple english language without mind reading the IG of police words are direct but because the op has a special power of reading people's mind he has brought out a whole new meaning to those words. Its ppl like these that see white and call it black backed with serious argument.
Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by clemmonce(m): 4:52pm On Jul 22, 2018
inoki247:

please what reasons? i cant reason like u.. Gun kills alot in USA did dey stop the issuance of GuN license bkuz of dat or dey shuld revoke pipuls dat az gun license . so because of dis reasons dey should stop people from using technology please don't quote me again..
don't because you want to argue by all means see black and call it white. SOCIAL MEDIA IS A TOOL THAT IS AVAILABLE TO CRIMINALS AND BAD PEOPLE JUST THE SAME IT AVAILABLE TO GOOD PEOPLE WTH GOOD INTENT. Wetin you no understand for there. He trying to say dont believe all what you see on social media some are untrue and propaganda..... If you still no understand I rest my case
Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by clemmonce(m): 4:54pm On Jul 22, 2018
adesina746:

God bless you. They will never see the difference. An illustration as simple as this with the right phrases is still giving some people problem. Now imagine people like that holding public or political offices the. We are finished as a nation
I stumbled into the video on Instagram and I was like why did bloggers now twist this man's comment to cause trouble.... From there on i made a decision to always do my findings before concluding on anything I see online

2 Likes

Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by TechCapon(m): 5:45pm On Jul 22, 2018
clemmonce:
I stumbled into the video on Instagram and I was like why did bloggers now twist this man's comment to cause trouble.... From there on i made a decision to always do my findings before concluding on anything I see online
you made a very good decision. Some of them are insulting me for busting their lies but i dont care.
Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by TechCapon(m): 5:47pm On Jul 22, 2018
ItsMeAboki:
No doubt the handwork of the intellectually lazy (and a growing irresponsibly biased media) that is how they continue to deliberately misinterpret the president - including the infamous 97% vs 5% which was clearly quite the opposite of what he actually said.

I am glad that this kind of negativity is being independently noticed and exposed by more intelligent folks to educate the otherwise gullible.
thumbs up my man
Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by paulpery: 7:24pm On Jul 22, 2018
But imagine that the ig said churches are institutions for the criminally minded. What would you interpret this statement to be. Or churches are ALSO institutions for the criminally minded. What is the difference between the two Statement? English professors
Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by jutan: 7:33pm On Jul 22, 2018
PUSSYBBQGRILLS:
transmission, transmission
The video was nursed too..if u know u know
Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by Fantastic2m(m): 7:42pm On Jul 22, 2018
He was asked about #ENDSARS which is a huge topic on the internet and he replied thus "the internet is a technology available to criminal minded people"

What do y'all want to distort to make different meaning?
Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by Johnsown1(m): 11:14pm On Jul 22, 2018
“I mean, transmission, I mean effort, that the transmission cooperation to transmission, I mean transmission to have effect, ehm, apprehend, I mean, apprehensive towards the recommendation, recommended formation effective and effect, I mean, apprehensive at the transmission of… and transmission and transmission for the effective in the police command,”
“All effective the transmission, other transmission, I can state without contradiction that I have commissioned what?”
he continued.
“Over transmission of, over transmission of, over all kidnapping, armed robbery and other
heinous crimes, I mean, ehm, commission transmission, recommendation transmission..."

Re: Correction: IGP Never Said ‘social Media Is For The Criminally Minded (video). by neyobills: 12:07am On Jul 23, 2018
adesina746:

Even if u are Sean Spicer I don't think you would be able to spin this to anything meaningful as he meant exactly the same thing.

If I were the journalist the next question I would have asked him was

Thanks you sir but opinion polls around suggest that the SARS unit is also made available to ex convicts who might as well be criminally minded due to their exposure to hardened criminals while incarcerate in prison,is this actually one of the recruitment criteria for the unit?

Oya come and answer for the IG Mr Spicer.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Police Arrest Suspected Killer Of Bayelsa APC Stalwart / Policeman flogs driver for refusing to bribe them in Benin (Photos) / Lagos Government Impounds 146 Motorcycles, Jails 21 Riders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.