Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,222 members, 7,913,479 topics. Date: Wednesday, 07 August 2024 at 07:54 AM

How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? (7603 Views)

Afrique Depot- Classic Nigerian Novels and Pacesetters Novels / Where To Purchase Vintage Nigerian Novels? / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jun 16, 2010
I dunno 'bout 9ja novels 4 now,

Buh I 'member when I was in Secondary school,

I saw some Ghanaian novels, crappy novels 2 be exact!

Anoda avenue for p0rn!!!  angry

Imagine d title of a novel, ", mathematics in d bedroom"!

What da, !
shocked
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by MyneWhite1(f): 11:58pm On Jun 16, 2010
cultey:

I dunno 'bout 9ja novels 4 now,

Buh I 'member when I was in Secondary school,

I saw some Ghanaian novels, crappy novels 2 be exact!

Anoda avenue for p0rn!!!  angry

Imagine d title of a novel, ", mathematics in d bedroom"!

What da, !
shocked

That is so funny! I have not seen a Naija book like that sha. Though to each their own, book na book right? LOL,
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by marcar(m): 12:54am On Jun 17, 2010
The Concubine
one man one matchet
Our husband have gone mad again
My Command By OBJ

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by areaboi: 9:25am On Jun 17, 2010
The Lion and the jewel by wole soyinka.I picked it up this week out of boredom but i noticed i keep loving it mo' and mo'.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by Bebianca(f): 10:45am On Jun 17, 2010
Joys of motherhood, wedlock of the gods, things fall apart, benson street, the dreamer, fate, tears, such is life. And so on. Nigerias novels ar really intrestn.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by Ka2: 1:31am On Jun 18, 2010
Bukittes:

do we have nigerian authors/novels? walahi i didnt know!!!
There is definitely Nigerian budding talent out there. Check out the stories on n a i j a s t o r i e s . c o m for example.

The problem is that distribution channels for books are very fragmented.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by collins123(m): 2:51pm On Jun 19, 2010
Lord Of The Rings = Chriz Brawn.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by emmasitah(f): 2:29pm On Jun 20, 2010
hi guys.am still new here.i never read nigerian book.but i really love to have it. grin nice to meet u all broda n sista, peace, wink
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by mascara(f): 7:13pm On Jun 20, 2010
purple hibiscus
yellow yellow
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by dominique(f): 11:07pm On Jun 21, 2010
i've only read one this year. teenager at war (can't seem to remember the name of the author). it depicted the civil war through the eyes of a teenager. i wish i can get to read more but i never seem to find them anywhere sad
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by MyneWhite1(f): 9:41pm On Jun 22, 2010
@Dom,

Ask in the bookstores.

dominique:

i've only read one this year. teenager at war (can't seem to remember the name of the author). it depicted the civil war through the eyes of a teenager. i wish i can get to read more but i never seem to find them anywhere sad
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by dominique(f): 10:47pm On Jun 22, 2010
@myne-white
i wish it was that simple. there are no bookstores around me, just book stands and all they have to offer is foreign material.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by MyneWhite1(f): 10:24pm On Jun 24, 2010
Dom,

too bad to hear that. But you know market responds to demand? So I'm sure if you start asking them for Nigerian books, they will be happy to find them for you.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by dominique(f): 11:33pm On Jun 24, 2010
@myne whitman

actually, i once asked a book stand owner why he doesn't have have any Nigerian books. his response? nobody reads them. the way he spoke about them as if they are never going to be good enough annoyed me a bit. i'm sure i'm gonna get when i ask around tho.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by topup: 4:12am On Jun 25, 2010
Thank you for this lovely topic!!

I will get ordering a few.

Has anyone mentioned those written by Chimamanda Adichie??
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by MyneWhite1(f): 11:19pm On Jun 25, 2010
dominique:

@myne whitman

actually, i once asked a book stand owner why he doesn't have have any Nigerian books. his response? nobody reads them. the way he spoke about them as if they are never going to be good enough annoyed me a bit. i'm sure i'm gonna get when i ask around tho.

Youre right!

topup:

Thank you for this lovely topic!!

I will get ordering a few.

Has anyone mentioned those written by Chimamanda Adichie??

Great!
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by MyneWhite1(f): 7:04pm On Jun 28, 2010
I just rad this article and I think it will answer a lot of the issues raised in this thread.

Reading culture not dead but poor in Nigeria -MD, Evans Publishing company

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/features/2907-reading-culture-not-dead-but-poor-in-nigeria-md-evans-publishing-company

Mr Gbenro Adegbola, MD, Evans Publishing company, in this interview with Associate Editor (Features), Femi Olukunle, believes that the harsh economic environment cannot kill the publishing industry.

What has been your experience in piloting the affairs of Evans Publishing company?
It has been both challenging and fulfilling; challenging in the sense that, in the book industry in Nigeria, the early turn of the millennium was just emerging from a long period of depression occasioned by many years of neglect of education and strikes in the school system. There was a particular year, I think 1995 or so, when schools were hardly opened at all.

So, all that was bad for business, but since about 2000, 2001, the industry has gradually emerged from that period and it has been fulfilling because, as I have observed, our strategies are working; our plans are being achieved. So it is both a combination of challenges and fulfillment.

I believe that among the challenges confronting you is piracy. In these days that students don’t buy books and some people illegally reproduce your works, how do you cope?
Piracy is a huge problem that faces the industry. Photocopying by students is the least of our problems. When we talk of piracy, we are talking of wholesale reproduction by way of printing of our books by a few young boys who are traders. They contribute some money and go to South-East Asia to bring in these books in large quantities, and because of the advancement in technology, it is almost difficult, if not impossible, to know the original from pirated copies. It has assumed a very dangerous dimension. Under the auspices of the Nigerian Publishers Association, in collaboration with the Nigerian Copyright Commission, we are trying to tackle this, but it would have been better if we were able to tackle it at the point of entry into the country. Unfortunately, that has proved difficult so far. We are now establishing contact with the Nigeria Customs Service, even the Nigerian Standard Organisation had also been of help in the past.

All the law enforcement agencies in and around the ports are being contacted to help stop the influx of these books into the country because the danger is that piracy will become a disincentive to authors such that they may stop writing, and that will be a disaster for the educational system.

In spite of the attacks, we shall continue to battle on; we cannot give up. We shall continue to wage war against them while trying to expand our distribution network and improve on the efficiency within the network.

It is said that Nigerian students prefer watching movies on television to reading, and this is killing reading culture. How do you react to this?
Reading culture is not dying but it is slightly poor in Nigeria. Television, internet and computer are only alternative media of transforming information and knowledge. They can never or neither do they intend to replace the book.

It now depends on the individual to allocate time to the various media transmitting knowledge. You in the media also know that reading culture is relatively poor in Nigeria compared to a place like Japan, where an average newspaper sells two to three million copies daily, because their literacy level is close to 90 per cent. I think the problem that confronts the people is the dwindling buying power of the average individual. Over the past few years, people’s incomes have shrunk; I think that is the problem and reading is a pastime that flourishes in a progressive economy.

Since people’s income has been noted to be shrinking, it will surely have an effect on the publishing industry too. How do you break even?
The problem does not affect the publishing industry alone, it affects the entire economy; we just continue to battle for our own share of the meagre purchasing power of the average individual. Of course, in the individual’s hierarchy of needs, food is primary; housing and clothing are in secondary position, followed by other things like books.

It has surely not been easy but in a country like Nigeria, we have the advantage of the buying power of the elite class that manages to sustain the industry.

How do you cope with the rivalry among the publishing houses?
The relationship between us is very healthy because it is a fairly small industry. We come across one another and we always cooperate at various levels. I mentioned earlier on, the anti-piracy efforts of the publishing association which is one of the areas we cooperate with one another. The relationship and competition are very interesting, and you know, competition itself is the very nature of business and enterprise. Where there is no competition you have the monopoly and that is not healthy.

How do your shareholders react to the instability in the economy which affects every industry including yours?
Basically, the publishing industry is a peculiar industry and anyone who invests in it knows that, really and truly, he is not in it for the money as such. I am not saying that they are not going to make money, but they are not really in for the money. If they were after money, they would have invested in the oil industry or the financial sector. These people are those who have passion for knowledge and education, so they have a good understanding of the situation in the country, but this is not to say that we have not been delivering profits to them by the end of the year. I can confidently say that our shareholders are happy with what we are doing here.

Let’s talk about infrastructure challenges. How have these been affecting your operations?
We are not existing in isolation. We exist within the larger economy and I find it boring to be complaining about infrastructural challenges. We have spoken ad infinitum about power problem, piracy and the rest of them, and I hate complaining about these things. What I like is finding a way to circumvent them because I cannot go to the shareholders meeting at the end of the year to tell them that PHCN is poor. Am I the only one the PHCN is bothering? So, I don’t like harping on these problems.

However, having talked about infrastructural problems, the peculiar problem facing the publishing industry is the lack of a credible distribution network within the country. We are combining the work of two to three links within the book distribution chain. We are publishers, almost book sellers, and suppliers to institutions and government. Part of our plans for the future is to work out some kind of alternative distribution framework which will have greater efficiency.

Given the tight official schedule you have, how do you recreate?
It is important that one establishes a balance between work and personal life. I must confess, that is one area that I have not done too well, because outside of work, there is very little that I do. I have decided to pick up on my golfing, which I have left rusty for the past three or four years. Of course, one is not getting younger; one needs to be a little more active physically. But I wish to say that I read a lot. I can say the nature of my pastime has to do with my job.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by dominique(f): 7:30pm On Jun 28, 2010
Myne white, cam you please sged some light on the payment and delivery system when purchasing these books? i'm quite paraniod when it comes to business dealings with people i can't see physically.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by MyneWhite1(f): 10:49pm On Jun 29, 2010
Hi Dom, which particular people are you talking about? Is the online sellers? I believe you pay by your bank card and they will deliver it to your address. But the easiest option is still to go to a book store direct and pick up your choice.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by Basilona(m): 6:33am On Jun 30, 2010
Well 4 me, i've read STANLEY OHANUGO'S - Brotherhood of d Inverted Cross; BUCHI EMECHETA'S- Naira Power and a host of African Press books we treated in Secondary School[quote][/quote]If u want d rainbow, U hav 2 endure d rain
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by vescucci(m): 1:20am On Jul 01, 2010
Recently? Why, in my life, I think they can't be more than a dozen and half of those are a rite of passage.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by MyneWhite1(f): 11:46pm On Jul 01, 2010
Well get ready to read more because Nigerian writers are going places.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by vescucci(m): 2:23am On Jul 02, 2010
Yeah. That is the truth but I'd rather the Nigerian readership blossomed more too. Most Nigerian writers of note are read more by foreigners than their fellow countrymen. Sad, no?
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by Suzanne84(f): 8:33am On Jul 02, 2010
I Do Not Come To You By Chance by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
Imagine This by Sade Adeniran
In Dependence by Sarah Ladipo Manyika
I read a lot of Nigerian writers, goes without saying; probably because i'm an aspiring author and I know that there are lots of interesting Nigerian stories waiting to be told. It's a shame that most of us would rather read foreign authors.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by MyneWhite1(f): 5:31pm On Jul 02, 2010
vescucci:

Yeah. That is the truth but I'd rather the Nigerian readership blossomed more too. Most Nigerian writers of note are read more by foreigners than their fellow countrymen. Sad, no?

Yeah, that is why I started this thread. And it is not stopping here. Over on Naija stories website, we encourage reading and writing of Nigerian books. Don't miss the train. A competition with free Nigerian books is coming up soon.

Suzanne84:

I Do Not Come To You By Chance by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
Imagine This by Sade Adeniran
In Dependence by Sarah Ladipo Manyika
I read a lot of Nigerian writers, goes without saying; probably because i'm an aspiring author and I know that there are lots of interesting Nigerian stories waiting to be told. It's a shame that most of us would rather read foreign authors.

This is what I like to hear. Kudos Suzanne. You know you can earn money by writing a review of such books? Check out naija stories website. I wish you luck in you own writing. Can't wait to read you.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by vescucci(m): 12:01am On Jul 04, 2010
What's the website, Myne?
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by Ka2: 3:07pm On Jul 05, 2010
What's the website, Myne?
It's

h t t p : / / w w w . n a i j a s t o r i e s . c o m

Or you can just google Naija Stories
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jul 05, 2010
I was not into Nigerian authors until recently. Put differently, I've never spent a kobo on any Nigerian author up until like a month ago for the lame reason that i always found them inferior to western authors in originality of thought and delivery and it has led to some obvious gaps in local knowledge in my warped mind I'm now trying to fill. In keeping with the independence brouhaha ive scooped up a number of them on my kindle and Im currently reading Politics and Elections in Nigeria since 1960 : A case studyby Mr Kelly Mgbe. I was drawn by the free sample version and decided to purchase the full version. But nna the book is so riddled with typos I'm wondering if anyone read a draft of it before going to the publishing house. Next up is I do not come to you by chance by Adaobi Nwaubani.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by cecegorz(m): 3:13pm On Jul 13, 2010
I read 'Half of a yellow sun' by Chimamada Adichie recently and believe me, it's a massively rich book.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by MyneWhite1(f): 9:50pm On Jul 15, 2010
The Shadow Speaker - Nnedi Okorafor

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Can Writing A Secondary School Textbook Fetch Me? / See What "LOL",LMAO, LWKMD And Other Internet Abbreviations Means In Chat. / Chinua Achebe: The Gods Are Not To Blame

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.