Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,080 members, 7,916,141 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 04:18 PM

Pa Achebe: The History Of Nigeria No One Cares About - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pa Achebe: The History Of Nigeria No One Cares About (282 Views)

I'm The First Male Virgin Graduate In The History Of Taraba State University / Chidi Chike Achebe Bags Award In Medicine And Science At US College (Photo) / What Is The Meaning Of Sco Pa Tu Manaa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Pa Achebe: The History Of Nigeria No One Cares About by netozii(m): 12:24pm On Jul 26, 2018
Behind Odim Gate, University of Nigeria, Nsukka. 26th February 2004

'Come in,' he said to me.

Clad in white trousers and an old but clean long-sleeve shirt, Pa Achebe smiled as I strolled into his compound. His house maintained the imperial architecture of the early 60's. Shaded by trees, the flowers in his garden were perfectly sheared. Although it was the first time of meeting him, he smiled as if we were friends. At 72 years, Pa Achebe looked 10 years younger.

'Close the gate,' he commanded in a husky voice. 'We have stray dogs here. They are lucky I do not feast on dogs.'

Although the joke was funny, the cracker was the seriousness on his face. I conjured a mental picture of an old man chasing the dogs for a meal. I obeyed his commandment and joined him inside his sitting room.

I was not disappointed: the sitting room could pass for an old library. The odour of damp books revealed the nature of my host. He was never a professor - the story had it that he was too stubborn; he quarrelled with every Vice-Chancellor in University of Nigeria, Nsukka and in return, they made sure he only retained his 'Doctor' title.

As if he was telepathic, he swung in: 'I cannot dispose of all these books. Some of them are over 50 years old and no one wants to read history these days.' He smiled sadly and said to me, 'make yourself comfortable. I have cold minerals.'

He returned with a tray. Inside it was a bottle of coke and a tumbler. Opening the bottle, he took the stress....
TO CONTINUE READING, CLICK THE LINK BELOW
https://ajambele.com/Africa/pa-achebe-the-history-of-nigeria-no-one-cares-about-episode-1/

#Ajambele

(1) (Reply)

Half Of Students Considering Studying Abroad(out) Due High Fees / ... / Why Wait For The Future, When You Can Predict It With Predictive Business Analyt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.