Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,844 members, 7,945,710 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 02:02 AM

Nigeria Vs Greece: Thoughts - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Greece: Thoughts (615 Views)

CHAN 2016: Nigeria Vs Guinea (0 - 1) On 26th January 2016 / Nigeria Vs Sudan: Afcon Qualifiers (3 - 1) On 15th October 2014 / Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Vs Greece: Thoughts by JIY: 6:10pm On Jun 17, 2010
Hi fellow fans,

Please read my review here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/407596-nigeria-versus-greece-review

Be sure to leave your comments. Thanks.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: Thoughts by JIY: 6:16pm On Jun 17, 2010
Actually, I am posting the whole review here. Let me hear your thoughts.

Find my preview of the match here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/407454-nigeria-vs-greece-a-preview

It will give a background for this review.

Nigeria 1, Greece 2

An upset it was in the end if you watched the match as a Nigerian. I do not think it was, really. I had expected Nigeria to start brightly, they however approached the game in the same manner they did against Argentina: lackadaisical in approach as though nothing was at stake. They got a lucky goal at the 16th minute through a spot kick by Kalu Uche, but it was a lead I didn't think would hold because of the absence of energy from the Nigerians.

I suspect people will point to the send off of Sani Kaita in the 33rd minute as the turning point of the game, which is probably true, but the Nigeria I saw from the opening whistle was not a team that I thought had anything to show in the competition. Their most ardent fans will still be hoping for the team's progress to the round of sixteenth if they are able to beat South Korea in their final group match on Tuesday. Nothing that I have seen in their two games so far points to this outcome.

In their match against Argentina, Nigeria played a peculiar defensive style in which they marked spaces rather than players. Peculiar because almost without fail the four midfielders preferred to bunch up in the second quarter of their own halve, allowing the Argentineans all the room they needed to think on the ball and execute their shots and passes. It was a similar case today. This led to the two goals Greece scored. True, the first goal was a deflection and the second a rebound, but in both cases, had the Super Eagles put pressure on the Greek, the shots that resulted into goals might not have been taken. Despite being brilliant in goal and making excellent saves as in the first match against Argentina, the one rebound from his save that led to the second goal is always going to be blamed on goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama. Otherwise, without doubt, it was again a man-of-the-match performance for him.

Greece were not fantastic, but their one man advantage for most of the match and Nigeria's reluctance to challenge players for the ball was enough to give them an edge; the got their equalizer through Dimitrios Salpingidis in 44th minute and the winner in the 71st minute through Vasileios Torosidis. All Greece need to do now to qualify for the second round is to avoid a heavy defeat from Argentina and hope for a Nigerian victory over South Korea by a single goal.

With this scrappy style of play, it is best at this point for Nigeria to be knocked out of the competition; they will only create heartache for their fans if they progress in the competition. Now Cote d'Ivoire and Ghana remain the two beacons of hope for Africa. It is turning out to be a dismal tournament for Africa, a tournament they had touted as holding a home advantage for them. Cote d’Ivoire would need a stellar performance against Brazil to progress and Ghana might just be the wild card for Africa.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: Thoughts by medjai(m): 6:26pm On Jun 17, 2010
spot on! what i saw today was heart attack football at its best
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: Thoughts by meggieblac: 6:28pm On Jun 17, 2010
Super eagles just displayed what they are good at. I don't know why i even bother to watch them.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: Thoughts by samdigo(m): 6:46pm On Jun 17, 2010
nigeria is hopless in every aspect
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: Thoughts by JIY: 7:18pm On Jun 17, 2010
spot on! what i saw today was heart attack football at its best

I should tell you, brother, that though I pride myself as usually in control of my emotions when watching a soccer game, I was breathing murder today as I watched the Eagles even when we were leading. What annoys me is the delusion that is blinding most fans, preventing them from seeing the sorry state of our football at present.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: Thoughts by candylips(m): 7:24pm On Jun 17, 2010
uninspiring football by the super eagles today
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: Thoughts by tayoast(m): 7:50pm On Jun 17, 2010
Kaita, Yak/Obasi
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: Thoughts by Obodo999(m): 8:46pm On Jun 17, 2010
I love your report on the game but I will like to correct you on one point you raised : All Greece need to do now to qualify for the second round is to avoid a heavy defeat from Argentina and hope for a Nigerian victory over South Korea by a single goal.

This is wrong. Even a goal defeat for Greece will put them on 3 points and -2. And a goal victory for Nigeria will put us on 3 points and -1. TThen south korea will be on 3 points and -2. SO NIGERIA WILL QUALIFY
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: Thoughts by JIY: 9:01pm On Jun 17, 2010
I love your report on the game but I will like to correct you on one point you raised : All Greece need to do now to qualify for the second round is to avoid a heavy defeat from Argentina and hope for a Nigerian victory over South Korea by a single goal.

This is wrong. Even a goal defeat for Greece will put them on 3 points and -2. And a goal victory for Nigeria will put us on 3 points and -1. TThen south korea will be on 3 points and -2. SO NIGERIA WILL QUALIFY

Fair enough, and thanks.

Do you think though that we deserve to qualify?
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: Thoughts by Obodo999(m): 9:06pm On Jun 17, 2010
JIY:

Fair enough, and thanks.

Do you think though that we deserve to qualify?

You know in football, best team doesn't always win. Greece themselves won Euro 2004 playing scrappy football but got lucky. With less pressure and in the second round, the super eagles may play better knowing that nobody is expecting anything from them.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: Thoughts by honeric01(m): 10:06pm On Jun 17, 2010
Up Nigeria, we have a foreign coach, we shall surely win this worldcup, don't worry, we will beat Korea 4 : 0, they don't have names, we have names, we have experience, we have KANU, UTAKA, SHITTU, all of them dey, we shall win the worldcup, we are just warming up, give us one more match and we shall get to our potential.

Up EAGLEEEEES
uP lARGERBEEER grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Tipster, Where Are You? / Rooney Angry At Booing Fans After Englands Game This Weekend / What Nigerians Think Of The World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.