Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,880 members, 7,872,900 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 03:34 AM

Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production (7423 Views)

OPEC: Libya Overtakes Nigeria As Africa’s Biggest Oil Producer / Ghana Overtakes Nigeria As West Africa's Largest Recipient Of FDI / Angola Overtakes Nigeria As Owner Of Most Battered Oil Currency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by BrandSpurNG: 9:15am On Jul 30, 2018
“Ghana Overtakes Nigeria Kolanut Production” Kolanut is an important economic cash crop, commercially produced in tropical rainforests of Central and West Africa. It is a perennial crop that grows well in hot humid climates.

Aside Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon, Sierra Leone and Cote d’Ivoire are other leading producers of Kolanut in the continent. About 40 Kola species exist in West Africa, however, the Kola species that are of economic importance in Nigeria are C. acuminata and C. nitida. Kolanut serves as a flavoring ingredient in beverages otherwise known as “cola” and contains stimulants comprising of about two per cent caffeine, as well as kolanin and theobromine. It also has industrial usage in pharmaceuticals, production of soft drinks wines and in confectionaries.

While it is eaten more by the northerners and easterners, it is widely grown in the South West-Ogun, Kwara, Osun and Oyo State, although two communities in Niger State are also said to produce it in large quantities. The report has it that 90 per cent of the Kolanut produced in Nigeria is consumed within the country, while 10 per cent is exported. The country’s cultivation of Kolanut, according to reports is said to be ecologically limited to the rainforest zones of the southern and riverine areas of the Savannah region.

Kola nuts, which has for hundreds of years served as an important article of internal trade in Nigeria and other parts of Africa, are a common sight in markets, cities and villages. They are often sold by street vendors at bus stops and train depots. In the past, Nigeria occupies number one position in terms of production in the world, accounting for 70 per cent of world output, according to the Integrated Kolanut Producers, Marketers, and Exporters Association of Nigeria (IKPMEAN). But the country has since been overtaken by Ghana.

The Guardian learnt that in the 1970s and 80s; the country was producing over 200,000 metric tonnes (mt) of the produce annually, but currently it’s struggling to produce a meager 20,000 mt, a development attributed to the scarcity of the product locally. Of late, the price of the commodity has risen astronomically, costing five times more in the last three years. A retailer, who spoke with The Guardian, Madam Ajoke Alebiosu claims the price increase is due to poor harvests, caused by climate change and many other factors beyond their control.

“The recent Kolanut I bought was a total loss. As usual, I buried the fresh nuts on the bare ground, covered it with leaves to get the testa rotten, for a period of three to four days as we usually do it. The essence is to ensure that the nuts wrets and turn black. During the process, the premature nuts also mature in this process. But to my surprise, the whole package I bought got rotten before I could remove it. This is basically due to heat,” she said.

Pa Ayinla Abegunrin, a 90-year-old farmer, lamented that while the demand is rising, production remains low because many of the trees in Nigeria are unfruitful or have very low yield due to self-and-cross incompatibility, partial and total sterility, inefficient natural pollination, old age, field and storage pests, and diseases. He added that pests are major challenges facing cultivation of the crop. “The major pest of Kolanuts is Kolanut weevil, both prior to the harvest and during storage. It is the most destructive insect pest of Kolanut in Nigeria.”

The Guardian learned that Kolanut weevils-Balanogastris kolae and Sophrorhinus are the most destructive field-to-store pests of Kolanuts in West Africa. Kolanut weevil is identified as field-to-store pests of Kolanut capable of causing 30–70 per cent damage to stored nuts, while 100 per cent damage has been recorded in cases of late harvest and in storage. Other pest and attack to Kola nuts are Mould/Fungal, Ants, and Parasitic Plants, among others.

Currently, Nigeria is not earning up to $10m annually in foreign exchange from Kolanut because not many people are really exporting the product. Managing Director/CEO of Bama Farms, Prince Wale Oyekoya told The Guardian that in the 1970s and 80s, “we still make up to $25m then, which ought to be more than that now, but because the sector has been totally neglected, we are not even making up to the said $10m, in terms of revenue generation.

“Look at areas where Kolanut processing plants are based in the North and South, you’ll discover that they have already become moribund, so these are the problems we have been having, we don’t really add value. So when you add value to something, you’ll be able to promote it and do more of it.”The former Chairman, Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI)’s agriculture sector, linked the problem to the government’s neglect of agriculture; poor funding, and oil discovery that has made Nigerians lazy. “It has negatively affected employment generated by the sector because during processing a lot of people are employed. We are not really where we supposed to be, we need government to do more because oil is already drying and countries that rely on oil are now using ethanol and others.”

Oyekoya lamented that agriculture has been so much neglected after the discovery of oil and “our oil boom has become oil doom now because it has made us to be lazier. We used to be the major exporter of Kolanut in the 1960s just like groundnut, cocoa, and others, but now we are not really doing it and I wish the government could really look into it and diversify into agriculture.

“We need to focus on this area because Kolanut is widely accepted in the world. They use it for so many things industrially and if we are not really harnessing what we have, promoting what we have, other countries will overtake us and that is exactly what is happening. Even locally, we are not really making use of it except for local consumption and at ceremonies. There is more to be used industrially, instead of consuming it raw without even adding value, we wish we could be adding values to our Kolanut here and we will be able to pack it, maybe in barrels or drums before exporting to other countries, but we don’t do that.”

He said: “If you are going to be doing Kolanut plantation you need hectares of land, so where are the farmers going to get such land now? We have some of these plantations before like rubber plantation, palm oil plantation, and cocoa plantation; to me, we are losing so much money in terms of foreign exchange.”

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/kolanuts-stakeholders-raise-concern-as-ghana-overtakes-nigeria-in-production/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by postbox: 7:24am On Aug 01, 2018
ok na, what next?

1 Like

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by budusky05(m): 7:36am On Aug 01, 2018
All we read and see every day is overtake nigeria.

Soon we will be buying imported kolanut too

20 Likes

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by Ibyno(m): 7:36am On Aug 01, 2018
Naija will work again. Just a little time.

3 Likes

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by adeSoft2yk: 7:36am On Aug 01, 2018
Ghana is taking over everything that make Nigeria giant of Africa. This Ghana must go is really working on them cos they are going higher now in all areas. I pity my so called country for allowing depletion

14 Likes

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by OPAUGBEE(m): 7:36am On Aug 01, 2018
Next pls
Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by Nobody: 7:37am On Aug 01, 2018
sai barber

3 Likes

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by inoki247: 7:37am On Aug 01, 2018
if there Currency can Overtake Naira who is now Kolanut dat will not obey...

21 Likes

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by Yinxies(f): 7:38am On Aug 01, 2018
Kola nut export business loading...
Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:38am On Aug 01, 2018
Ghana have overtaken Nigeria in so many ways!

Bubu is working! He has boosted our Agricultural sector grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Our Agriculture is booming under the leadership of sai barber cheesy cheesy grin grin

Yet:
Ghana don over take us for production of Kolanut undecided

A bag of Rice is still sold for N15,000 as against N8000 he met

A paint of garri is doubled the price...

Buhari is really working!

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by Lifestone(m): 7:40am On Aug 01, 2018
While the world is competing intensely on breakthrough technologies, Ghana and Nigeria are fighting over who best produces primitive Kolanut !
What makes this sickening is the fact that the goro is either eaten or exported raw, since I was born, no value addition, no derivatives, what a country, what a Continent!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by fran6co(m): 7:42am On Aug 01, 2018
even kolanut sef is affected, dehm u Delilah (APC) my PVC i hope u ar seeing this.

6 Likes

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by Nobody: 7:42am On Aug 01, 2018
Ordinary Kolanut!! undecided
Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by Nigeriabiafra80: 7:42am On Aug 01, 2018
BUHARI ACHIEVEMENT

3 Likes

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by ExAngel007(f): 7:43am On Aug 01, 2018
so?
Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by dermmy(m): 7:43am On Aug 01, 2018
Hmmmm
Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by Chiedu4Trump: 7:45am On Aug 01, 2018
Nigeria is dying under Buhari

4 Likes

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by rusher14: 7:47am On Aug 01, 2018
To be honest, Nigerians have an unexplained sense of entitlement.

Nobody puts in dedication .

7 - 10 years is too long for a Nigerian to invest in an economic plant.

But wailing comes naturally.

3 Likes

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by rusher14: 7:49am On Aug 01, 2018
I'm sure the idiots above did not even read the article.

And that is the main reason they live decrepit lives.

Same reason the kola harvest reduces year on year.

1 Like

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by egoldman(m): 7:52am On Aug 01, 2018
fran6co:
even kolanut sef is affected, dehm u Delilah (APC) my PVC i hope u ar seeing this.

Buhari has plan for your pvc , he showed it in ekiti election , beware .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by Nobody: 7:55am On Aug 01, 2018
The excuses given are just lame and summarizes our way of life as a people. Doing the same thang year in, year out and expecting exponential increase in output.
Shame on us that this has been going on for decades but we're here blaming pests and climate change but we forget to blame ourselves.
Ghana has the same climate as Nigeria, less land mass, the same pests can attack their crops but they did things differently.
Nigeria my Nigeria.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by itiswellandwell: 7:55am On Aug 01, 2018
Just imagine
Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by stevedre: 7:57am On Aug 01, 2018
Climate change and other factors are having a big effect because the farmers never adjusted to reality and felt contented with what ever they were getting and refused to grow. A good example is the Fulani heardsmen who do not want to grow by embracing ranching.

The world is evolving but most Nigerians, especially the government ineffective elected leaders love to dwell on past glory while other countries are working hard to flow with the change.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by Pavore9: 7:57am On Aug 01, 2018
Lifestone:
While the world is competing intensely on breakthrough technologies, Ghana and Nigeria are fighting over who best produces primitive Kolanut !
What makes this sickening is the fact that the goro is either eaten or exported raw, since I was born, no value addition, no derivatives, what a country, what a Continent!

There is nothing primitive about Kolanuts rather the primitive perception thus the reason for no value addition likewise bitter kola. Africa rather export raw, the buyers adds value to it then Africans imports it. What a waste! angry

6 Likes

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by israelmao(m): 8:00am On Aug 01, 2018
Aisha Buhari has also been overtaken after the comment that brought about the "other room" her life has been reduced to indoor activities ever since.Her office is currently being reactivated ahead of 2019 elections to mobilize Nigerian women.
Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by Nobody: 8:01am On Aug 01, 2018
angry angry angry sad sad sad
Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by lankieman: 8:01am On Aug 01, 2018
Nigeria seems to have over taken all the countries of the world with consistent bad news..

Banditry
Killings
Corruption
Impunity
Rituals
Useless propaganda.
Religious and ethnic division
Political manipulation of the electorates

I drop my pen here.

1 Like

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by lonelydora: 8:02am On Aug 01, 2018
Never knew 'Oji' has economic importance. grin
Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by stevedre: 8:02am On Aug 01, 2018
Lifestone:

I am sure you will also ignorantly say the same thing about cocoa in Nigeria not knowing with out cocoa you may end up not eating a nice chocolate candy bar.
Do you know Malaysia makes allot of money by exporting palm kernels and Palm oil? There are many treasures in Nigeria but all the government is interested in is oil money.

2 Likes

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by skallion7(m): 8:09am On Aug 01, 2018
adeSoft2yk:
Ghana is taking over everything that make Nigeria giant of Africa. This Ghana must go is really working on them cos they are going higher now in all areas. I pity my so called country for allowing depletion
if you don't know what to write, keep quite

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by Lifestone(m): 8:13am On Aug 01, 2018
Pavore9:

There is nothing primitive about Kolanuts rather the primitive perception thus the reason for no value addition likewise bitter kola. Africa rather export raw, the buyers adds value to it then Africans imports it. What a waste! angry
Kolanut is still being traded as it was over 60 years ago! What a shame to the Continent. Malaysia now produces more than 100 items from Oil Palms. My point is for us to begin to value add to Kolanut. The agronomy of Kolanut also needs to be improved, it still takes like 7-10years for the tree to mature. Technologies.

1 Like

Re: Kolanuts: Stakeholders Raise Concern As Ghana Overtakes Nigeria In Production by Pavore9: 8:15am On Aug 01, 2018
Lifestone:

Kolanut is still being traded as it was over 60 years ago! What a shame to the Continent. Malaysia now produces more than 100 items from Oil Palms. My point is for us to begin to value add to Kolanut. The agronomy of Kolanut also needs to be improved, it still takes like 7-10years for the tree to mature. Technologies.

I surely agree with you. Just like Avocado, African breadfruit etc we still wait for many years to get the first harvest while when improved we should be getting them within two years and higher yields! sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Make $20/day Freelancing On Peopleperhour AKA PPH / Sewing, embroidery, weaving and stoning Machines Available For Sale / CBN’s Quarterly Forex Intervention Has Been Reduced By $930 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.