Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,382 members, 7,881,381 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 06:09 PM

Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? (6791 Views)

6 Expressions Of A Failing Alternator / How Long Does It Take To Charge A Dead Car Battery? / 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? by Nigeriadondie: 8:35am On Aug 02, 2018
AutoReportNG:
Whats your take? Let's hear from you
I wish to ask a different question other than this topic or if possible you open a thread for it.
I have a diesel engine car that sometimes fails to start. And even when it starts and the engine runs well I then turn off the engine after a while when its warm, and wish to start the engine, it won’t start.
What could be the cause? How can it be rectified?
Re: Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? by phemmyfour: 8:37am On Aug 02, 2018
Alternator no dey quick spoil like that. The average life of a battery is 3yrs
Re: Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? by sunsplash99(m): 8:38am On Aug 02, 2018
I Need a Car
Re: Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? by Originalsly: 8:49am On Aug 02, 2018
Who has all those testers anyways?....I would get a jump start.....if the alternator is good....it should be charging the battery. After for about 30 mins.....the battery should have enough power stored to restart the car. If it doesn't. .. but gives a fast clicking sound ... then goes dead after trying a few more times to restart.... I'll say the battery is dead...needs to be replaced. But if the car starts on a Jumpstart. ..but does after the cable isndisconnected...I'll say alternator dead.
Re: Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? by oyeb15: 9:00am On Aug 02, 2018
exquizit:

Oh really! So I should just get another batter right?

it can b worked on. but it will be leaking afterward. so it won't last. jxt buy new one to save d stress. speedenergy
Re: Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? by obeycian(m): 9:36am On Aug 02, 2018
It is the alternator, because your car can run with a bad battery(after the car must hv been ignited with a good battery) but the car cannot run with a bad alternator because the battery would not get charged when the engine is running which will eventually weak battery..
Re: Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 02, 2018
Dipville:
Could be either of the two

1. The battery might be ordinarily weak, so even when alternator charges it, it still goes flat in no time

2. The alternator also could be weak and not charge the battery while working, so could be either of the two.

It's Alternator, if you remove the battery head while car is working and it suddenly goes off.

It's Battery if you do same while working and car keeps working.

bad advice. you will destroy the cars computer system
Re: Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? by Nobody: 10:20am On Aug 02, 2018
could also be the neutral safety switch
Re: Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? by Nobody: 10:23am On Aug 02, 2018
iamjavadem:
If your battery is dead, you get another battery to jump start it. While the car is idling you remove the battery terminals and see if the car is still running, if not then ur alternator is gone.
bad advice. these modern day cars are computerized. never remove battery terminals while the car is running
Re: Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? by Privy(m): 10:47am On Aug 02, 2018
AutoReportNG:
[img]https://1.bp..com/-77yaF0UnkKk/W2GqLYw7PQI/AAAAAAAATng/7OVgVN_3RQQp7niwLQZT7CoSKLHTKp9JgCLcBGAs/s640/the-warning-light-circuit.png[/img]

* The Headlight Test – Turn on the ignition and switch on the headlights. Then, power on all the accessories and observe if the headlights show any sign of dimming. The alternator is bad if the lights keep losing brightness.

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2018/08/car-battery-or-alternator-which-one-is.html

@AutoReport, why should the battery be dimming if the alternator is bad?
Please enlighten me here.
My understanding is that if the car does not start, then the alternator can't do its work and one may not be sure whether it's good or not.
On the other hand, if the car starts, the battery must have had some charge stored in it (non-hybrid and non-EV cars in consideration with a 12 V battery that has been in regular use) and as such it must have been charged by the alternator. If the alternator fails to charge the battery during the most recent driving cycle then the battery must have been reasonably discharged if the stretch driven is significant.
If it's a new symptom that's just starting around the current start (or engine crank) then the engine shoukd start right?
Re: Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? by exquizit(f): 10:57am On Aug 02, 2018
oyeb15:

it can b worked on. but it will be leaking afterward. so it won't last. jxt buy new one to save d stress. speedenergy

OK, thanks.
Re: Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? by mechanics(m): 2:51pm On Aug 02, 2018
Both.
Re: Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? by writeprof(m): 3:05pm On Aug 02, 2018
The alternator vs battery issue could be deceptive. Just last week, after cruising for abt 2hrs without any sign, our car stopped. It was a shocker, we felt the driver hired to drive the car because of the long journey didn't know how to handle it. We got an electrician, he asked the driver to try starting the car, when he heard a sound, he said confidently, 'na de battery', quickly, he connected us to a mechanic who brought a battery to jumpstart our car. It took us to his workshop, but since we were still in doubt if our battery will last, we have just spent about 2hrs out of an estimated 8hrs trip. We bought a new battery, this packed up after 1 hr. It became clear it was the alternator. We had to buy a new one and continued the journey. When it's alternator, the vehicle steering gets stiff especially if it's not moving on the express, and go-slow is its major enemy.
Re: Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Aug 02, 2018
exquizit:
I've been having this battery issue for a while now and I've been told to get a new one, but the battery is still showing bright green light, is the light not supposed to be red when it's totally dead?
Please I don't know what that light is called.
white
Re: Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? by MrJames007: 7:43am On Aug 03, 2018
Hardewarlee:
Who born battery besides Alternator ! Sometimes this Alternator can decide to disgrace you by not charging your battery and you will dress fine get to party , after forming Van damn . You come form boss go your car side .... lol Car engine do Ssski ppaaa skipppi lmao .... E no start Only to know your battery is dead ! Biggest Bleep up of all time .

I’m a victim ...

Ah kuku no go push automatic and nobody wan give me battery cus of the van damn style I don show lol .... To be continued ...
Lol no be lies. cheesy Dat shít can embarrass.
Re: Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? by MrJames007: 7:46am On Aug 03, 2018
oyeb15:

That light is just d acid strength guage. When d battery is green and weak, the positive or negative cell inside have cut.

note, sometimes when charging, one of d terminals will be getting hot.
Re: Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? by Gboliwe: 9:58am On Aug 03, 2018
I have been battling with this for a while. My electrician said the alternator was at fault but his scanner didn't detect it. My mechanic insisted it had to be the battery that the alternator was good.

Since the car refused to start, we got a battery to hire and I used it without drama Monday, Tuesday and returned it on Wednesday. It was obvious my original battery is at fault.

(1) (2) (Reply)

About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice / Can I Buy A Good Car With 300,000 To 350,000naira / Which Of These Cars Is Easy To Maintain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.