Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,867 members, 7,872,882 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:50 AM

Isha Sesay Announces Her Exit From CNN, Says It Focuses More On Trump - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Isha Sesay Announces Her Exit From CNN, Says It Focuses More On Trump (364 Views)

DJ Cuppy Announces Her Engagement To Ryan Taylor / Tiwa Savage: “Rema Benefitted From My Exit From Mavin Records” (Video) / The Reason Behind The Resignation Of CNN Anchor Isha Sesay Will Shock You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Isha Sesay Announces Her Exit From CNN, Says It Focuses More On Trump by LifestyleTonite: 2:37pm On Aug 01, 2018
Isha Sesay has announced that she has left CNN, the news agency she spent more than a decade working with. Tweeting about her exit, she said, ''It's really happening, folks!! After more than a decade behind the desk with those three red letters... I HAVE LEFT CNN.''

In an interview with WhatWeSeee, she spoke about how CNN and the mainstream media focuses too much on Donald Trump to the detriment of other important news. She also revealed she will be writing a book on the Chibok girls.

Read excerpts from the interesting interview below.

“I’m ready to have a little bit more autonomy and to take the lead in my own life,” 

“I’ve been at CNN for 13 years, it’s the end of a huge chapter,” 

“It’s been such a tremendous time, such an eventful 13 years — I feel like I grew up working there. I showed up as a 30-year-old in 2005, with two suitcases and a one-year contract — I’ve managed to make that last 13 years! It’s been amazing, I’ve been married when I was there, divorced when I was there, it’s all happened.”

Although there are a lot of changes coming up for Sesay, they all seem to be at the natural meeting point of her professional life and her personal passions.

“It’s an exciting time for me — and a nerve-wracking one,” she says. “I’m writing a book about the Chibok girls, it’s being released in May 2019. It really speaks to where my head is at, currently — a lot more coverage about Africa, a lot more work on the continent, and a lot more focus on young girls. That’s what I’m about right now.”

The Chibok girls, the 276 young girls kidnapped in Nigeria by Boko Haram in 2014, are particularly personal for Sesay. She traveled to Nigeria to cover the story and, like many current events in Africa, she feels the way it’s been represented in the press just doesn’t do it justice. While in 2014 the news was full of headlines dedicated to the Chibok girls, the media has long since moved on. “It’s a real indictment of the society we live in now,” she says.

Sesay isn’t scared to vocalize something so many of us have noticed about Western media at the moment. On the one hand, there’s a problem in the West with the total Trumpian domination of media.

“It’s all so Trump-focused.” 

“He sucked all of the oxygen out of the room. The media is following that lead to the exclusion of almost everything else, in a meaningful way. For me, personally, it’s not what I want to spend all my time doing.”

There is so much else going on in the world and you can feel Sesay’s frustration that it’s not being covered.

“After a while, I want to do more coverage of the Ebola outbreak, of the elections in Liberia, or any number of things that are happening. I’m ready to take control of what I’m talking about.”

https://www.wotzup.ng/2018/08/isha-sesay-exit-cnn-trump/

Re: Isha Sesay Announces Her Exit From CNN, Says It Focuses More On Trump by Abjay97(m): 2:40pm On Aug 01, 2018
So true
Re: Isha Sesay Announces Her Exit From CNN, Says It Focuses More On Trump by LifestyleTonite: 3:45pm On Aug 01, 2018
lalasticlala
Re: Isha Sesay Announces Her Exit From CNN, Says It Focuses More On Trump by resurgent2019: 4:05pm On Aug 01, 2018
See fine girl. Whether CNN likes it or not, it is Trump/pence till 2024.

If Trump was sympathetic to Islam like Obama, CNN wouldnt hate him so much. Way to Isha.

It is Trumpism/Republicanism till forever in the US. Anybody who doesnt like it can hug a wet transformer. angry

(1) (Reply)

Never Give Up: Nigerian Celebrities, Before And After They Made Money (photos) / I’ve Never Dated Anyone All My Life, But Am Not A Virgin – Actress Amara Maduka / Nina Is Just 22years Old

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.