Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,718 members, 7,882,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 04:44 AM

To Rebuild Or To Replace? - Car Talk (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / To Rebuild Or To Replace? (24438 Views)

Small Nyash... The Rebuild/restoration / How To Rebuild A Honda Accord 1999 V6 Rack And Pinion Steering Gear / Imo Black Cab: Innoson Buses Replace Keke In Owerri (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Gramondhigh(m): 9:09pm On Aug 28, 2018
you go fear long analysis ohhh chim
justfash50:
@ Gazzuzz and radautos

I have gone through the thread from the beginning to the end and am impressed with the level of discuss, but would like both of you give more details as regards your diagnosis .

I have gained immensely from the discussion so far and I believe the discuss will be put into proper perspective if a case study of this my Toyota Rav 4 of year 2006 is tabled on this platform for your analysis, based on your diagnosis of repair or rebuild.

The rav 4 has misfired in all its cylinders and it's gasket , pistons has worn out, timing chain issues, cracks due to over heating on the engine, engine oil noticed on plugs etc.

From the above, what would you Gazzuzz and radautos analyze as the cost implications for repairs or replace engine or rebuild respectively.

Sometimes to us as end users we are confused with your diagnosis especially when it is an engine issue. Your expertise insight is required here on the rav 4 2006 and current cost implications of repairs or replacement / rebuild is sought.

Thank you as you take your time to run me through what is required in getting the my Rav 4 back on the road again.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by timifakay(m): 12:13am On Aug 29, 2018
thebigkendo:

Corolla does not require synthetic.. If you decide to use synthetic on yours.. No wahala, good for you.. Right Weight Mineral oil with 3k miles OCI , engine will be just fine
So I don't think it a fair yard stick for the comparisons..

Personally if my car burns a quart of synthetic oil between oil change I won't be bothered

Which mineral oil?
Example please.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by banky3w(m): 1:18am On Aug 29, 2018
AutoElectNG:
Alert! Alert!! Alert!!!

A call to arms by the replace gang

It seemed the rebuild gang was gaining too much traction

and so the replace gang decided to regroup and attack from the rear

This story is far from over yet
Your head don knack ground Walahi...... Baa kada kei
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by banky3w(m): 1:50am On Aug 29, 2018
radautoworks:

Here's the thing. When I came in the scene and tried to help people, you took umbrage and I apologized and bowed out did I not?

Then you put this thread out there and some people took your view and others didn't. Why are you so upset? For the most part I've left you alone even when your diagnosis or advice was clearly wrong but didn't say a word. Nairaland is after all your playground. But if you come at me directly, I will respond especially when I know you are wrong.

In this case, you came at me over the Corolla and I tried to soft pedal it. I eventually had to let you know you were working on the wrong assumptions so you couldn't pull off what we did. Your pretty much changed topic when you realised that it was in fact possible.

Then you chose to switch to this vehicle and you're not even right about the kind of car it is! Then you call me evil. For presenting another point of view from yours? The crazy thing is that this vehicle was originally your repair but the customer wasn't satisfied with your advice but I never revealed that it was you until now How does this make me evil for presenting an alternative?
I put it to the house/your demeanors: "are my actions in fact evil"?

Point of correction ma'am, NOBODY OWNS THE DEMEANORS! Get that right. We belong to everybody and to nobody grin
If you know you know.....

4 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 2:43am On Aug 29, 2018
banky3w:

Point of correction ma'am, NOBODY OWNS THE DEMEANORS! Get that right. We belong to everybody and to nobody grin
If you know you know.....

Sir, yes sir!
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by banky3w(m): 2:49am On Aug 29, 2018
radautoworks:

Na which side go hold reporter hostage? grin
The Demeanors will take care of that auntyradu.... grin

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by thebigkendo(m): 8:53am On Aug 29, 2018
timifakay:

Which mineral oil?
Example please.

So any 5w-30 mineral oil which satisfy the manufacturer recommended grade & viscosity like
Aunty Radu's grin grin
http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfgName=CQO&partNumber=CQ620
NB I have updated the previous post with facts about engine oil consumptions from Toyota grin

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Piyke: 3:32pm On Aug 29, 2018
timifakay:

Which mineral oil?
Example please.

Any that has the API seal should be good. I use the STP brand and its has been good for the past 3yrs or so
Modified...
Before that I used castrol and later Pennzoil blends
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 5:27pm On Aug 29, 2018
thebigkendo:

So any 5w-30 mineral oil which satisfy the manufacturer recommended grade & viscosity like
Aunty Radu's grin grin
NB I have updated the previous post with facts about engine oil consumptions from Toyota grin

Yes ke. See the MSDS sheet
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by timifakay(m): 5:40pm On Aug 29, 2018
thebigkendo:

Aunty Radu's grin grin

I was asking for which mineral engine oil the manufacturer recommends 3k miles OCI.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by thebigkendo(m): 6:08pm On Aug 29, 2018
timifakay:

I was asking for which mineral engine oil the manufacturer recommends 3k miles OCI.

Toyota actually recommends 5000 miles/4 months or 7500/6 months OCI on that corolla..
We both know they were not talking about synthetic oil.
So 3000 miles is me been safe.

As for brand of oil, Any 5w-30 mineral oil which has the API SL seal

Aunty radu .. How many miles can your Carquest Mineral oil go?

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Chelseafan1: 6:27pm On Aug 29, 2018
radautoworks:

You really didn't leave us much to say here. Most of the time, the damaged parts are few and cheap and may come down to just gaskets, rods or a head that needs machining. We have all the boxes checked and will almost always rebuild rather than replace. It is nearly always cheaper and comes with a warranty (especially in this country with cheap labor). We gave an example in our little rant about rebuilding smiley https://www.nairaland.com/4501821/milex-carquest-2nd-largest-usa/18#69784777

When it's not better for the customer to rebuild, we recommend replacement.

Gazzuzz, would you confidently give a customer a 6 month to 1 year warranty on that beauty? I'm guessing no because you never really know the story behind that replacement. We have the machine to make any engine look prettier than that one in 45minutes and internally it's a piece of crap. It's the same machine used to clean up all the parts when we rebuild.

These sweet words though. Lemme message you sef.... grin
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Inception(m): 1:03am On Aug 30, 2018
radautoworks:
Repairs done and being dropped back in.

Got an extra hoist for sale btw.

How much last for the hoist ma'am?
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 3:22am On Aug 30, 2018
timifakay:

All non-synthetic oils have 3,000 intervals. Certain vehicles may differ but that is the norm.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 3:24am On Aug 30, 2018
Inception:

How much last for the hoist ma'am?

No mind me. It's brand new, unused and i don't even know the capacity. Na my husband talk am. I'll find out and get back t you on the specs and price. We just ordered one too many for the shop.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by timifakay(m): 7:03am On Aug 30, 2018
radautoworks:

All non-synthetic oils have 3,000 intervals. Certain vehicles may differ but that is the norm.

Miles or kilo?
Just for clarity ma.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 7:11am On Aug 30, 2018
timifakay:

Miles or kilo?
Just for clarity ma.

Miles. Sorry!
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Inception(m): 10:54am On Sep 03, 2018
radautoworks:

No mind me. It's brand new, unused and i don't even know the capacity. Na my husband talk am. I'll find out and get back t you on the specs and price. We just ordered one too many for the shop.

i shall be on standby ... i would love to have it urgently. But at a good price o! grin
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 11:26pm On Sep 03, 2018
Inception:

i shall be on standby ... i would love to have it urgently. But at a good price o! grin

Brand New TEQ 2 ton foldable engine hoist http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfgName=EQP&partNumber=1404PV 152k OBO.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by AutoElectNG: 6:27pm On Sep 07, 2018
The vehicle is a 1998....the owner wanted everything factory so he opted to rebuild not replace his transmission

So another reason to consider a rebuild is when you want everything to stay stock

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by LeJeun3: 6:57am On Sep 09, 2018
radautoworks:

Brand New TEQ 2 ton foldable engine hoist http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfgName=EQP&partNumber=1404PV 152k OBO.

Congratulations on the new Baby. God keep mother and child and make provisions

Meanwhile lemme hit you up for this hoist, mine is old.

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 5:57pm On Sep 09, 2018
LeJeun3:

Congratulations on the new Baby. God keep mother and child and make provisions

Meanwhile lemme hit you up for this hoist, mine is old.

No problem. Just email me or call shop

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 6:00pm On Sep 09, 2018
@AutoElectNG this will be of interest to you. Didn't know where else to post it.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by AutoElectNG: 10:16pm On Sep 09, 2018
radautoworks:
@AutoElectNG this will be of interest to you. Didn't know where else to post it.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary

Thank you....that site debunks so many myths floating on cartalk

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 2:48am On Sep 10, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Thank you....that site debunks so many myths floating on cartalk

Yes it does which is why I thought you'd be there one to appreciate it the most and maybe educate others.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by AutoElectNG: 5:37am On Sep 10, 2018
radautoworks:

Yes it does which is why I thought you'd be there one to appreciate it the most and maybe educate others.

I have tried my bit....there is a thin line between facts and beliefs

My problem with nairaland is people attempting to turn facts on their head....presenting beliefs like facts and making them appear to be facts

I guess those qualify to be called alternative facts

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Embeds Entire G-Class SUV In Amber For DNA To Live Forever(Photos) / Which Part Of A Car Do You Admire The Most? / Help! How Do I Recover A Debt Of 5.5m?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.