Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,791 members, 7,969,348 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 06:06 AM

Ify Aniebo Bags Young Researcher Of The Year - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Ify Aniebo Bags Young Researcher Of The Year (2542 Views)

Youngest Couples! Ify Gushes About Her Hubby 'jude Okoye' / More Photos From Jude Okoye And Ify Umeokeke's Traditional Wedding In Nnewi / Ify Osadebe Weds Emmanuel Dumuje (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ify Aniebo Bags Young Researcher Of The Year by AloyEmeka5: 8:22pm On Jun 21, 2010
[size=14pt]From the Lab to World Stage, Future Awards 2010 Young Person of the Year, Ify Aniebo is making a real impact[/size]
Posted on Monday, June 21st, 2010 at 12:02 AM
By Wana Udobang

The 2010 edition of the Future Awards was the best yet. At the awards ceremony, it was a double whammy for Ifeyinwa Aniebo, the young malaria researcher bagged awards for Scientist of the Year and the most prestigious of the awards, Young Person of the Year.

Less ‘popular’ than most of the other nominees (Her co-nominees for Young Person of the Year included superstars Asa and Cobhams), Ify Aniebo’s resume reads quite differently from one typically expected of a Future award winner.

She has a first degree in Medical Genetics from Queen Mary’s University, An MSc in Applied Biomolecular Technology from Nottingham University and went on to receive a scholarship from the Prince’s Trust. She is currently a PhD student at Oxford University on a fully funded scholarship from the Wellcome Trust, the Tropical Network Fund and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. She has carried out research at the Wellcome-Oxford-WHO unit in Thailand. Passionate about finding a cure to Malaria, this has been her main area of research, her goal is to discover a vaccine to the biggest killer disease in sub-Saharan Africa. Her passion for healthcare goes beyond the world of academia, she hopes to start her own health care magazine in the future with as much glamour as any fashion magazine out on the market.

BellaNaija.com caught up with Ify to find out a bit more about her and her desire to bring the sizzle from the laboratory to the world stage.

Did you think you stood a chance to win the Young Person of the Year award, Also what was going through your head when your name was called?

Honestly I did not think so. When I saw the other names in that category including Asa, Cobhams, Toyosi Akerele and Tolu Ogunlesi, I thought, never in a million years would I stand a chance because all of them are immensely talented and inspiring people. When my name was called I wasn’t even expecting it. I was busy reading the certificate I was given for the Young Scientist of the Year award and was really waiting to cheer someone else on. I was absolutely gobsmacked when I heard my name. I couldn’t believe it. It was a wonderful moment I tell you. l was so happy and was in tears.

Do you think receiving two future awards will have any significance to your career?

Yes. Science is a very tough field to be in and often people need motivation or else a career change will ensue. I get motivated by a myriad of things but receiving two awards to me means I have the full support of a lot of people which I find motivating and encouraging. Winning those awards has given me the strength to continue in my path. The strength also comes from the fact that so many people have been inspired from this experience. I get a lot of messages on facebook from people telling me how inspired they feel and how they want to do something great for the country. I also received a few saying they want to get back into the field of science. I love to inspire people in every way and that to me is the most significant thing in my career.

http://www.bellanaija.com/2010/06/21/from-the-lab-to-world-stage-future-awards-2010-young-person-of-the-year-ify-aniebo-is-making-a-real-impact/

1 Like

Re: Ify Aniebo Bags Young Researcher Of The Year by Acidosis(m): 9:35pm On Jun 21, 2010
The only thing I saw in that story is the beautiful face of the young lady. Sincerely, there is nothing special about finding a cure for malaria, not in this generation where there are various brands of malaria drugs, sometimes people even get confused of which brand to purchase or prescribe. She only practised an act which I call- Plagiarism.
Lots of scientist in Nigeria have gone as far introducing some alternative treatment to diseases like cancer, HIV (Type I & II).

1 Like

Re: Ify Aniebo Bags Young Researcher Of The Year by mamagee3(f): 1:45am On Jun 22, 2010
I'm happy for her even though I don't know her. . .

But it's a thing of joy to achieve something.
Re: Ify Aniebo Bags Young Researcher Of The Year by slap1(m): 2:57pm On Jun 22, 2010
^^ Blind and desperate.
Re: Ify Aniebo Bags Young Researcher Of The Year by Pweety4me(f): 3:15pm On Jun 22, 2010
smiley
Re: Ify Aniebo Bags Young Researcher Of The Year by hackney(m): 4:48pm On Jun 22, 2010
Congrats to Ify.
weldone.
Re: Ify Aniebo Bags Young Researcher Of The Year by zmurda(m): 2:29pm On Apr 15, 2011
she's mine

(1) (Reply)

The Former Miss USA, Kenya Moore To Host D'banj's Birthday / PHOTOS Of Actors&actresses At Rivers State Carnival World Media Conference / Lady Gaga Has Really Gone Mad.see What She Is Wearing!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.