Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,849 members, 7,882,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 08:26 PM

Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid (1955 Views)

5 Common Mistakes Made In Content Writing / "He Is Double Dating" And Other Common English Mistakes You Make. / Grammatical Mistakes That Will Make You Look Like A World Class Idiot. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by JayMarx: 12:15pm On Aug 10, 2018
English is not our mother tongue. But for the most of us down here in Southern Nigeria, English is our first language.
We use English more than the way we use our mother tongue. It is important that we express ourselves well in this language.
Yet, there are some phrases, words or expression that even native speakers battle with. Some of them would be surprising to you. Yet, others are obvious.
Let's run.
#1 – Misuse of I and Me
I is the subjective form of oneself. A subject is the doer of an action, or is something in a sentence. It is always capitalised. On the other hand, me is the objective form of oneself. An object is the sufferer of an action or is something that is acted upon
One rule to note is that I can never end a sentence and me can never start a sentence.
E.g:
The house was built by Peter and I. – wrong
The house was built by Peter and me. – correct
Me and Simon bought the fish. – wrong
I and Simon bought the fish. – correct. Note that some authorities insist that for courtesy, I should be after the other person which in this case can be “Simon and I bought the fish”
#2 – Substituting contraction for possessive pronoun
Many of us are in the habit of using “Your” and “you’re” to mean the same thing.
They are different. Your is used in saying something belong to you, while you’re is a short form for you are.
There are others contraction that are mistaken with possessive. E.g their and they’re.
#3– Who or Whom
If the almighty Twitter could get this wrong, I wonder who won't get this wrong too.
Who is a subject while whom is an object.
For instance:
Whom to follow. – wrong
Who to follow. – correct
* I hope Twitter pay me for this
You can also use whom where you use who by putting with before the whom. E.g With whom will he go?
#4– Farther or Further
Farther refers to a distance while further refers to time or space in a literature sense.
For example:
The assistant asked some further questions.
The nearest house was much farther than she thought.
Tip: Use Farther for physical distance only.
Use Further when emphasising on an addition or an extent of something. Although you can use further for distance, use farther instead.
#5– Lie or Lay
This one is the most annoying of all.
Understand that there are different types of lie, one is word that's not true. Another is a kind of resting. This is the one we are concerned about.
Lie is what one do to oneself.
E.g: I want to lie down.
Lay is what you do another person or thing.
E.g: Lay the child on the floor.
Lay the book on the table.
That seems simple until you remember that the past tense of lie is lay. The past tense of lay is laid.
I.e:
I lay down, when I got home.
He lied the child on the ground.
#6– Which, that or who
Who is used for a person while that is used for an object or person.
For instance:
It was the chief who did it.
It was the chief that did it.
It was the candle that burnt it.
Which is used for a thing.
E.g: He bought a car, which was red.
You can use who and that, which and that interchangeably but try to stick to who when talking about a person.
When talking about things, you can use that or which. However, you should know if the which clause is a defining or non-defining clause. A defining clause need no comma, non-defining needs a comma.
#7– Using a or an
The article “a” is used when the next word has a consonant sound while the article “an” is used if the next word has a vowel sound.
Note that it is consonant sound not consonant word.
For instance: A university.
An honourable man.
In this cases, the “u” is pronounced as a consonant while the “h” is silent in “honourable”
#8– Year anniversary
Many of us who are elated by our parent’s marriage anniversary would be quick to say “This is my parent’s 25th year marriage anniversary” That is incorrect. A better way to say it “This is my parent’s 25th marriage anniversary”
#9– Worse come to worse
I hear this around Obalende Area. You will see two well-dressed brothers who are revelling in their elegance saying this phrase.
This is actually wrong! The correct form is “worse come to worst”
Worst is the superlative of bad. Something can only go from up to down or down to up.
#10– How was your Night?
Many Nigerians use this expression most time without caring to know its effect. Although in the Nigerian context, it is a phatic question. Phatic that it is not intended to give information but to communicate sociably.
Outside Nigeria, this question sound awkward. It is an intrusive question that seems to know what someone did in the night.
When talking to someone next, just say “how are you?” and stop there. It is not a normal question.
Except you're very close to the person, then the question can be normal.
What do you even want to know about how someone spent a period that is intimate to them?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by liohan: 12:33pm On Aug 10, 2018
This is good. Nice one!
Mynd44 what do you say about this?

1 Like

Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by JayMarx: 12:36pm On Aug 10, 2018
liohan:
This is good. Nice one!
Thanks!
Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by Mielekcezylil(m): 1:15pm On Aug 10, 2018
Thanks for this

1 Like

Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by EmpressDia(f): 3:39pm On Aug 10, 2018
Good thanks for this

1 Like

Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by JayMarx: 3:59pm On Aug 10, 2018
Mielekcezylil:
Thanks for this
Thank you!
Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by JayMarx: 4:00pm On Aug 10, 2018
EmpressDia:
Good thanks for this
Thank you.
lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by udoka55555: 5:01pm On Aug 10, 2018
nice one

1 Like

Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by JayMarx: 9:07pm On Aug 10, 2018
udoka55555:
nice one
Thanks.
Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by germaphobe(m): 9:27pm On Aug 10, 2018
I've grabed a thing or two here, especially that no.1

1 Like

Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by JayMarx: 10:03pm On Aug 10, 2018
germaphobe:
I've grabbed a thing or two here, especially that no.1
That's nice.
Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by Cashio(m): 10:32pm On Aug 10, 2018
the greatest and most frequently misused is Am and I'm

1 Like

Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by JayMarx: 6:52pm On Aug 11, 2018
Cashio:
the greatest and most frequently misused is Am and I'm
I understand. Maybe I should add it.
Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by deegnity22: 7:12pm On Aug 11, 2018
Lovely! Thanks for clarifying the difference between who and whom. Oh and that last one, I usually just tell people I was asleep so I don't know what happened. A better way is to ask if I slept well or had a good night rest.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by queenbetsy(f): 11:04pm On Aug 11, 2018
I know these... grin
Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by Nobody: 9:00am On Aug 12, 2018
It's a cool write-up, can't wait to hear more from you

1 Like

Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by JayMarx: 8:07pm On Aug 12, 2018
deegnity22:
Lovely! Thanks for clarifying the difference between who and whom. Oh and that last one, I usually just tell people I was asleep so I don't know what happened. A better way is to ask if I slept well or had a good night rest.
Exactly. Why do they want to know what you did at night grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by JayMarx: 8:09pm On Aug 12, 2018
queenbetsy:
I know these... grin
Good for you grin grin grin
Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by JayMarx: 8:10pm On Aug 12, 2018
MuhammadWrites:
It's a cool write-up, can't wait to hear more from you
Thank you!!!
Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by JayMarx: 11:49am On Jun 22, 2019
Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by Treasure17(m): 3:02pm On Jun 22, 2019
Fantastic
Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by dreofGod(m): 5:48pm On Jun 22, 2019
Thanks, Jay.
Re: Top 10 English Mistakes That Make You Look Stupid by EngrKem: 1:46pm On Jun 23, 2019
Engrish lol nice one jay

(1) (Reply)

Pastor's Second Wife - Episode 13 (semi Final) / Poem / How I Download Free Novels.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.