Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,171 members, 7,916,425 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 11:09 PM

OAU: Students Break Record, Read Over 50 Books In Six Months - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU: Students Break Record, Read Over 50 Books In Six Months (1055 Views)

Unilag students break down in tears during protest / OAU students trapped following a downpour, today, in Ile Ife, Osun State (Photos / Bed Bugs Invade OAU Students' Mattresses In Hostel (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OAU: Students Break Record, Read Over 50 Books In Six Months by bossmeek(m): 1:35pm On Aug 13, 2018
Toyin Faleke recently shared on my WhatsApp story about how I had read over 50 books just in the first half of 2018 and amidst all of the hailing about how my parents wanted a child and they gave birth to a book instead and how I was the ‘Omowe of Iwe Land’, one significant question was on the lips of everyone, “Babe, how on earth did you do it?”

Quite frankly, there was no jazz; neither was juju involved (trust me). I didn’t need to conjure incantations; neither did it require the head of a tortoise and the speed of a deer. For me, the very first step was being a book lover. I had always been fascinated by anything in prints since I was little. I mean, ANYTHING IN PRINTS; from magazines to newspapers to billboard advertisements, to my father’s Accounting textbooks (although, I still don’t understand all of the Accounting mumbo-jumbo. It confuses me), but yeah, you get the gist already. So, loving books and opening them up came easy.

Call me traditional, but I also was a sucker for hardcopy books any day. I love(d) the feel of a book in between my hands; the smell of the book so close to my face; the feeling of excitement as I flip(ped) the page, curious about what came next. My love for hardcopy books has died down to a large extent though (*insert crying face here*). The world has gone digital. Besides, as an Environmental enthusiast, it would make more sense to go softcopy than fell innocent trees to make beautiful books, right? (*insert grin here*). I joined a WhatsApp group early this year that was solely dedicated to the act of sharing books and I would say that has greatly enlarged my library of books; softcopy books at that, and it has helped a whole lot. So, people, not all WhatsApp pages are for broadcasting ‘send-this-to-7-people-and-receive-a-surprise-in-7mins’ messages – some are dedicated to a noble cause.

How We Read Over 50 books In Six Months

Answering the question of how I was able to read that not-so-many-books in such a short time, was basically the combination of loving books and having so many books to read (over 500 of them on my PC). Creating time to read those books wasn’t hard. In fact, I didn’t have to think about it or plan it into my schedule or anything. There was always time for a book, no matter how short it was or how busy I was. I read them in the bus (whilst looking up momentarily to check if the bus hasn’t driven passed my bus stop), I read them while waiting for my next lecture to begin, I read them when I am about to go to bed or basically, when I am less busy. See, it isn’t juju, is it? ���.

I have had many people come up to me, lamenting about how reading books isn’t just their thing. I totally understand. But I am a hundred percent sure there is something that interests everyone. If yours is politics, begin with political books. If you are more inclined to read books on greatness or success, be my guest and start with those. Set a target if you have to. Say: One book per week or one per month. No rush. So, begin with books that catch your fancy before weaning yourself from them to delve into the hidden treasures of the other genres. I hope this inspires you in some way. Send this to 7 people and see what happens in 7 months....

Source: https://www.bossmeek.com.ng/2018/08/record-breaking-2-oau-students-read-over-50-books-in-six-months.html

Cc; fynestboi

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OAU: Students Break Record, Read Over 50 Books In Six Months by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:48pm On Aug 13, 2018
#RESPECT

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OAU: Students Break Record, Read Over 50 Books In Six Months by Evangkatsoulis: 3:03pm On Aug 13, 2018
50 books in 180 days? That's only one book in 3+ days? Probably less than 1000 pages per book.
Mtcheew! Mediocres!
For my secondary school, come see where boys dey read 500 pages in one hour.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OAU: Students Break Record, Read Over 50 Books In Six Months by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 4:09pm On Aug 13, 2018
Evangkatsoulis:
50 books in 180 days? That's only one book in 3+ days? Probably less than 1000 pages per book.
Mtcheew! Mediocres!
For my secondary school, come see where boys dey read 500 pages in one hour.

500 pages in an hour

I fear the person wey no respect these your lies

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: OAU: Students Break Record, Read Over 50 Books In Six Months by Evangkatsoulis: 4:46pm On Aug 13, 2018
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

500 pages in an hour
I fear the person wey no respect these your lies
You never see anything.
Re: OAU: Students Break Record, Read Over 50 Books In Six Months by pizzylee(m): 4:50pm On Aug 13, 2018
Lol funny I use to read one book in 6months
Re: OAU: Students Break Record, Read Over 50 Books In Six Months by oyatmicah(m): 8:25pm On Aug 13, 2018
the real question is, can that person remember everything in those books?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: OAU: Students Break Record, Read Over 50 Books In Six Months by ikbnice(m): 8:58pm On Aug 13, 2018
The guys obviously gat enough time. I was once like that, I could lock myself indoors for days just reading. I read 'Small Island' in a day, 'Island' in a day, 'Raven's Prey' in few hours, 'Forever After' in a day and so on. I read while walking but all that has dwindled now when I gat my hand so full that I don't have much time. I borrowed a book and returned it after three days unopened (the guy was surprised). The Aldiko on my phone is filled with books I haven't even opened in months. Everything boils down to time and stress.
Re: OAU: Students Break Record, Read Over 50 Books In Six Months by obawinner(m): 9:40pm On Aug 13, 2018
It is not about reading books. But adjusting knowledge read to solve real life situation that matters
Re: OAU: Students Break Record, Read Over 50 Books In Six Months by ifiokjohn(m): 9:49pm On Aug 13, 2018
obawinner:
It is not about reading books. But adjusting knowledge read to solve real life situation that matters
i can read a 150 page book in a day, so if i hv been counting i would hv read more than that in 6 month
Re: OAU: Students Break Record, Read Over 50 Books In Six Months by meobizy(f): 1:38am On Aug 14, 2018
obawinner:
This is exactly what came to mind when I read the article.
If she didn't use the knowledge gained to build a bridge, create an innovation or start a business then the venture was an entire waste.

1 Like

Re: OAU: Students Break Record, Read Over 50 Books In Six Months by hi3: 6:14am On Aug 14, 2018
Application is key... If he's not solving problem with them, then it doesn't make sense
Re: OAU: Students Break Record, Read Over 50 Books In Six Months by anochuko01(m): 6:57am On Aug 14, 2018
great feat! just try make it impartful. i've done about ten in this year.

(1) (Reply)

ASUU Reacts To FG Withdrawal of 'No-Work-No-Pay' | Continue Negotiation Today (M / Reactions As Anambra School Students Wear "Isi Agu" Attire For First Assembly / These Type Of Class Mates Or School Mates Are Never Forgotten.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.