Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,548 members, 7,972,075 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 10:29 PM

Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? (4004 Views)

Buhari Would Be Hausa And Yoruba President? / Igbo Will Be Deputy Speaker Till2019,igbo Can Vote Yoruba President To Be Senate / True Justice Means No Yoruba President Until 2038 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by Tonim(f): 1:36pm On Mar 30, 2007
President Obasanjo has been at the helm of Power since 1999 - 8 years now. The Northerners are agitating for power to shift back north; the igbos are saying it is their turn to produce the next President, so do the South South people.

Given all of this, how long do you think it'll take before we see another Yoruba President ?
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by Crownvilla(m): 2:12am On Mar 31, 2007
Does it really matter if we never have a Yoruba president? We need a god-fearing, honest, intelligent presido of impeccable character and integrity from any part of Nigeria.

It doesn't really matter if the prez is male, female, young, old, Ibibio, Igala, Igbo or any other tribe.

We need prez that will diversify the economy, fight corruption on all fronts, give us uniterrupted power supply, resolve the Niger Delta problem, tackle inflation, give us good roads, hospitals, and the beat goes on.

We've been practising tribal politics for too long, it is taking us down the drain!!!!!!
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by jgirl3: 2:13am On Mar 31, 2007
Crownvilla:

Does it really matter if we never have a Yoruba president? We need a god-fearing, honest, intelligent presido of impeccable character and integrity from any part of Nigeria.

It doesn't really matter if the prez is male, female, young, old, Ibibio, Igala, Igbo or any other tribe.

We need prez that will diversify the economy, fight corruption on all fronts, give us uniterrupted power supply, resolve the Niger Delta problem, tackle inflation, give us good roads, hospitals, and the beat goes on.

We've been practising tribal politics for too long, it is taking us down the drain!!!!!!

I agree with this 1000%.
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by Tornadoz(m): 3:32am On Apr 02, 2007
You have a long wait ahead of you.
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by abdkabir(m): 10:33am On Apr 02, 2007
Don't really care! More boothered about when we'II be having a good president.
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by osegwu(m): 10:34am On Apr 02, 2007
We are waiting for Seun to get ready
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by 9ja4eva: 7:39pm On Apr 02, 2007
16yrs
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by GNature(m): 8:19pm On Apr 02, 2007
Abubakar Rimi said 40 years !

----------> the other 5 geo-political zones * 8 years !!
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by 9ja4eva: 7:48am On Apr 03, 2007
Dt wldnt be bad either.Other zones need to experience it too.
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by Afam(m): 10:09am On Apr 04, 2007
40 years at the earliest.
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by Bolarge(m): 10:30am On Apr 04, 2007
I believe the question is ill-timed.When (if) the incumbent Yoruba President leaves then we can raise it.Right now as things are,I have my doubts.
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by Afam(m): 10:38am On Apr 04, 2007
Bolarge:

I believe the question is ill-timed.When (if) the incumbent Yoruba President leaves then we can raise it.Right now as things are,I have my doubts.

OBJ has severally stated that he will leave by May 29th so why the doubts about his leaving office?

He favours elections as scheduled even when the opposition favours anything that will postpone the election as that will extend the immunities they are currently enjoying.
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by Nobody: 11:35am On Apr 04, 2007
@Tonim,

Naturally, I think that this issue is among the reasons Nigeria as a nation will naver make progress. Rather than look for a Nigerian that is capable of leading us irrespective of where he/she comes from, we are looking for a President that will come from this tribe or that zone or even that religion.

The question of ethnicity is actually the "Nigerian Question", but zoning the presidency is not the solution either. I suggest that we decentralise the power at the center. Let us have different governments for each of the six zones and at the same time have a weak center which we can rotate among the zones. The Nigerian project is a white elephant dream, I only pray that it wont be too late before we realise it.

For now, let us concentrate on Nigerian that have what it takes to govern irrespective of where he comes from. My opinion might differ on who it should be among those allowed to "contest", but it is a good place to start.

@Afam,

OBJ has not much as in options not to quit, but his denial of thrid term and his so called corruption fight are reasons enough not to trust him. Its your right to trust him, but its also my right to only "eat with him with my long spoon". The man has proved beyond reasoanble doubt , that he is a con man.
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by Afam(m): 11:44am On Apr 04, 2007
noblezone:

@Afam,

OBJ has not much as in options not to quit, but his denial of thrid term and his so called corruption fight are reasons enough not to trust him. Its your right to trust him, but its also my right to only "eat with him with my long spoon". The man has proved beyond reasoanble doubt , that he is a con man.

With all his fault OBJ is not a con man. You may tell us what makes him a con man.
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by Bolarge(m): 12:00pm On Apr 04, 2007
Afam:

OBJ has severally stated that he will leave by May 29th so why the doubts about his leaving office?.

It's not so much 'bout OBJ's utterances but 'bout the seemingly well orchestrated imminent anarchy that will make it impossible for a responsible leader to abdicate at a time such as this.
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by BlackMamba(m): 2:46pm On Apr 04, 2007
Oh! I can't wait for the next Yoruba president to continue the "excellent" leadership of his kinsman, OBJ.
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by Tonim(f): 6:09pm On Apr 04, 2007
noblezone:

@Tonim,

Naturally, I think that this issue is among the reasons Nigeria as a nation will naver make progress. Rather than look for a Nigerian that is capable of leading us irrespective of where he/she comes from, we are looking for a President that will come from this tribe or that zone or even that religion.

The question of ethnicity is actually the "Nigerian Question", but zoning the presidency is not the solution either. I.

@noblezone

I agree with you that zoning is not the solution, but I am just being realistic. The truth of the matter is, the only reason Obasanjo is backing Yar 'Adua is because he is a Northerner. Even OBJ knows Donald Duke is better qualified than Yar 'Adua.

The political class are largely relying on zoning to keep the country together. Why do you think all the Northerners went in search for a Southern candidate (OBJ) when Abacha died ?
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Apr 04, 2007
@Afam,

If denying a third term ambition in the public and sponsoring it behind closed those is not the attributes of a con man, please define con for me.

If a Mr Clean is fighting corruption so hard and yet permit a serving governor to be kidnapped ('cos he refused to loot the treasury), please define con for me.

If a "comrade" organises a conference of  Southern Nigeria to demand that power should remain in the south but suddenly gives it to the North since he wont be the one to remain in that power, please define con for me.

@Tonim
I understand your position very well, I am only wondering how many years it will take the political class to wake up to the fact that zoning is not the solution.
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by Tornadoz(m): 6:35am On Apr 05, 2007
@noblezone
Am not a fan of his, but don't you think any of these candidates will be a better con man than OBJ?
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by Nobody: 8:04am On Apr 05, 2007
@Tornadoz

If a nation of more than 150 million people cannot produce a credible president, then the nation will soon hit the rocks.

Among the aspirants, I will vote for pat Utomi. If not for anything else, let us have a change.

These folks who have been rulling Nigeria from Independence until now should please go and rest.
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by doncartel: 1:18am On Apr 08, 2007
i dont know how history will treat you yoruba people given all obj has done in your name,now i hear tafa balogun is warming up for 2011
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by 9ja4eva: 10:54am On Apr 08, 2007
LOL.Tafa no go siddon?
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by Afam(m): 12:47pm On Apr 09, 2007
noblezone:

@Tornadoz

If a nation of more than 150 million people cannot produce a credible president, then the nation will soon hit the rocks.

Among the aspirants, I will vote for pat Utomi. If not for anything else, let us have a change.

These folks who have been rulling Nigeria from Independence until now should please go and rest.

Pat Utomi? Based on what? VON was run aground under him. Tell us his achievements.

I will rather stick with what I see today than root for change for the sake of change.

Again, why Pat Utomi? Your reason for change is completely unconvincing.
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by Backslider(m): 3:44pm On Apr 09, 2007
@ Don Cartel & BlackMamba

This is cheap Politicking anyway it is the way of politics. People have stolen money and use propaganda machinery to put attention on lies.

I have lived in an older democracy even one that is African and I know what is called Politricking. The fact is that you always be found out sooner or later you cant pay all the people all the time.

You just wait and see all their secrets will be exposed if only we don't have a COUP.

WE AS YOUNGER GENERATION NIGERIANS SHOULD NOT CARRY THE LOAD OF OUR FOREFATHERS A FRIEND OF MINE USED TO THINK LOWLY OF PEOPLE OF THE YORUBA EXTRACTION. I THINK HE IS HAS A DIFFERENT VIEW

I SAY YORUBA IS JUST A LANGUAGE SPOKEN IT CAN DIE OFF AS DID LATIN. BUT THE STATE CAN REMAIN AS DID ITALY. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH TRIBALISM GOD HAS GIVEN US NAIJA LET US PATIENTLY LIVE IN IT WELL LOOK ARROUND YOU AND DONT BE DECEIVED THE RICH GUYS KIDS GET ALONG WELL THEY DONT CARE ABOUT TRIBE THEY EVEN MARRY EACH OTHER

TRIBALISM IS SLAVE TRADE MENTALITY IT STEMS FROM STATEMENTS LIKE THIS "IGBO ARE THIS, " "YORUBAS ARE THAT, " AND HAUSAS ARE THOSE, " WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER TRIBES AND DIALECTS?

SELL YOUR BROTHER TO SCORE POINTS( SELFISH POLITICAL TRIBAL SUPERIORITY). MEANWHILE THE SLAVE MASTER IS READY TO BUY YOU SO THAT HE CAN USE YOU TO SELECT YOUR BROTHERS, IT GETS WORSE WHEN HE ASKS YOU TO SELL YOUR OWN KINSMEN IT IS EASIER FOR YOU TO DO THAT BECAUSE YOU HAVE BEEN TRAINED ALREADY SELLING THOSE YOU CLAIM INFERIOR!

THE HUTUS AND TUTSI SPEAK THE SAME LANGUAGES CHECK VERY WELL ITS JUST HATRED THAT FUELED THE GENOCIDE YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF. HOW DO PEOPLE THAT HAVE MIXED PARENTS CLASS THEMSELVES? I THINK YOU WILL BUILT ANOTHER COUNTRY FOR THEM RIGHT?

STOP THIS CUNNING HATE STOP IT HERE RIGHT NOW
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by Arnold1(m): 1:43pm On Apr 10, 2008
A very very long time, courtesy of OBJ
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by bawomolo(m): 2:48pm On Apr 10, 2008
who cares, i could care less if our presido is an alien. as long as he does the job right
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Apr 10, 2008
Yeah, does it matter? As long as he does a good job undecided
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by oldie(m): 3:32pm On Apr 10, 2008
Why do we always limit ourselves?
Why cant we always play with our first eleven everytime?
Why are we always sucked into this tribal /ethnic selection?

I dont care who the president is, or where he comes from.
We all need somebody who understands the Nigerian problems, ready
and rational enough to solve them.

Haven't we played this tribal card for too long? and where has it landed us as a nation and as Nigerians?
Any good person can become the president of Nigeria!
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by vortmond: 4:35pm On Apr 12, 2008
i am in support of crownvilla it does not really matter if we dont have a yoruba president,what matters now for a nation like this is a God fearing president and definitely we will get one day
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by palmwine(m): 5:38pm On Apr 13, 2008
What we need is a visionary leader. When my generation is still deeply rooted in Tribalism God help us all.

Let us Pray!
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by deor03(m): 9:18pm On Apr 13, 2008
I think i will be more concerned with

1st Good president- How long will It take
Re: Next Yoruba President - How Long Will It Take ? by Kaestro(m): 4:53pm On Apr 14, 2008
@ Poster.
Is there any characteristic that a Yoruba man posses that other ethnic men don't? Of what use is that to the growth of the economy?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Police Announces An All Nothern Muslims To Head Zonal Offices / Yemi Osinbajo Spotted With A Power Bank (Photo) / Sowore Disrupt Abuja, Kano, Kaduna With Townhall Meetings #takeitback (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.