Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,842 members, 7,972,971 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 01:24 AM

Parents And Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parents And Marriage (1132 Views)

Nigerian Parents And Their Daughters: Hilarious Photo Of The Day / He Is 36, Still Stays With His Parents And Wants To Marry Her. Help!!! / Words From A Father To His Son About Women And Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parents And Marriage by r231(m): 9:27pm On Jun 24, 2010
A lady i know decided NOT to marry her long time boyfriend because her mum 'didn't like him'.

She later met another guy who her mum believed 'matched' the family's' status & they had a big society wedding thereafter.

6 years later after 2 kids, they are divorced.

Old boyfriend also married to later divorce after 1 kid.

Now, they are back together again & are engaged getting ready to marry

Why would u let your parent(s) decide who u marry?
Re: Parents And Marriage by Pweety4me(f): 9:28pm On Jun 24, 2010
Lolz sad lyfe sha.
Re: Parents And Marriage by boomii(f): 9:33pm On Jun 24, 2010
What a life,anyhow if the parent have a genuine reason maybe it wud not look like a bad idea
But reasons like social status is just not enough for me to leave a guy.
Re: Parents And Marriage by Acidosis(m): 9:56pm On Jun 24, 2010
Very Funny. Bad_after 3 kids. Good_they are preparing for another wedding
Re: Parents And Marriage by r231(m): 10:05pm On Jun 24, 2010
parents influence on their children's choice of spouse has ruined many people's chance of real happiness,

Marriage is hard enuff when u r in it with the right person talk less of with the wrong person,

Its only weak pple who let their folks run their lives.
Re: Parents And Marriage by MissyB1(m): 10:28pm On Jun 24, 2010
Sometimes, in cases like this, Parents could be right.
Re: Parents And Marriage by r231(m): 10:35pm On Jun 24, 2010
^^^^How
Re: Parents And Marriage by Carolece(f): 11:15pm On Jun 24, 2010
Sometimes a word from the wise and old is good. But they would have to give me a very strong reason why I shouldnt.
Re: Parents And Marriage by Acidosis(m): 11:19pm On Jun 24, 2010
^exactly
Re: Parents And Marriage by vivaladiva(f): 5:04am On Jun 25, 2010
never
my fate is well n truely in my hands n my hands alone
Re: Parents And Marriage by Acidosis(m): 5:58am On Jun 25, 2010
vivaladiva:

never
my fate is well n truely in my hands n my hands alone
Shut up! Parents also need to play their role
Re: Parents And Marriage by dobodobo(m): 6:17am On Jun 25, 2010
Acidosis:

Shut up! Parents also need to play their role
are parents messi or christiana ronaldo to be looking for role to play, let them give coach *kid* the chance to decide role for them
Re: Parents And Marriage by vivaladiva(f): 6:40am On Jun 25, 2010
acidosis or is it halitosis
i gave a simple ans to a simple question, wats ur fc-uking prob retard
listen bruv i own my life, i rule my life, i make my own decissions
i dont let other peoples subjective bias opinions play a part in my decisions and that includes my parents
when i make a mistake, i alone take the blame
when i succed, i alone take the glory
i would like to say that i give a shit cos my parents dont like my husband to be, but frankly i dont
ever heard that doc albans song----its my life

if u want ur parents to choose ur wife to be, thats ur own bloooody business
Re: Parents And Marriage by justwise(m): 9:55am On Jun 25, 2010
vivaladiva:

i gave a simple ans to a simple question, wats your fc-uking prob retard
i dont let other peoples subjective bias opinions play a part in my decisions and that includes my parents
when i make a mistake, i alone take the blamewhen i succed, i alone take the glory
i would like to say that i give a poo cos my parents dont like my husband to be, but frankly i dont
ever heard that doc albans song----its my lifeif u want your parents to choose your wife to be, thats your own bloooody business

Totally agree with you.
Re: Parents And Marriage by MissyB1(m): 10:18am On Jun 25, 2010
r231:

^^^^How
Sometimes, what we see as nonsense turns out to be a blessing for us.
Certain wisdom comes with age . . . .No matter how enlightened or intelligent You think You are, unless You attain that particular age, You cannot understand what that elder is talking about. Nollywood made it simpler - ''What an elder sees sitting, a child would not see, even if he stood on the tallest tree''.

If Your parents say NO . . . .regardless of how dumb You think their excuse is, just don't throw it in the air immediately, cerebrate on it severely and maybe, just maybe You will find sense in that seeming nonsense.
Re: Parents And Marriage by jaybee3(m): 10:23am On Jun 25, 2010
^^^^
Ain't u going to find out if the reason for saying NO is valid before going along with them?
Remember the OP said the parents said NO initially cos of social stance ignoring the fact that marriage is about compatibility between the 2 people that matters.
Re: Parents And Marriage by r231(m): 10:36am On Jun 25, 2010
Missy B:

Sometimes, what we see as nonsense turns out to be a blessing for us.
Certain wisdom comes with age . . . .No matter how enlightened or intelligent You think You are, unless You attain that particular age, You cannot understand what that elder is talking about. Nollywood made it simpler - ''What an elder sees sitting, a child would not see, even if he stood on the tallest tree''.

If Your parents say NO . . . .regardless of how dumb You think their excuse is, just don't throw it in the air immediately, cerebrate on it severely and maybe, just maybe You will find sense in that seeming nonsense.

hmmmmm

lets assume it dosen't have anything to do with their so called family status. . .

so are you saying that Parents Know your Partner/Boyfriend/Girlfriend more than YOU?
Re: Parents And Marriage by MissyB1(m): 10:39am On Jun 25, 2010
First of all, I was expecting a Hello kiss. grin Weh am?  angry

jay bee:

^^^^
Ain't u going to find out if the reason for saying NO is valid before going along with them?

Missy B:

jay bee:

Remember the OP said the parents said NO initially cos of social stance ignoring the fact that marriage is about compatibility between the 2 people that matters.
The parents might have been wrong,  but it can still be seen as a blessing.
There's no denying the fact that both parties have gained more experience in managing a home. Certain mistakes that would have made, if they had gotten married earlier would be avoided now, as they've learnt better, empirically.
Am I even making sense, this morning?  tongue  sad

r231:

hmmmmm

lets assume it dosen't have anything to do with their so called family status. . .

so are you saying that Parents Know your Partner/Boyfriend/Girlfriend more than YOU?

I'm saying that - When people are against what You want, when they say 'No' to Your 'Yes', it doesn't necessarily mean they are wrong or are against Your happiness.
Sometimes, they are right . . . .Regardless of how wrong You want them to be.
Re: Parents And Marriage by jaybee3(m): 10:43am On Jun 25, 2010
hahahhahaha pardon me bad manners hun
Parents can't use experience of managing a home to judge an unknown environment in this case.
We all know and agree that some Nigerian parents say NO due to ridiculous reasons like tribal & social differences.
Re: Parents And Marriage by chika98: 11:54pm On Jun 25, 2010
I actually think that is a cute story. A simple case of what is meant to be will be.
Their parents had no reason to meddle in their choices. I wonder what they have to say now
Re: Parents And Marriage by Nobody: 2:56am On Jun 26, 2010
i agree wt u on the unknown environs jaybee ,in as much as i wouldnt av considered marriage wtout my parents consent,i still say i know this man  more,im d one that has been wt him during courtship,im d one dat knows and av accepted his faults,im d one dat has settled issues with him, i knw him physically,mentally,emotionally and can clearly say ''I KNOW HIM BETTER''
Re: Parents And Marriage by Acidosis(m): 3:44am On Jun 26, 2010
vivaladiva:

i gave a simple ans to a simple question, wats your fc-uking prob retard
when i make a mistake, i alone take the blame
when i succed, i alone take the glory
i would like to say that i give a poo cos my parents dont like my husband to be, but frankly i dont
ever heard that doc albans song----its my life

if u want your parents to choose your wife to be, thats your own bloooody business
All THESE for me? Well I'm so sorry dear, now give me a smile_lol.
Sincerely, I succumb to your idea! But matters as regards your husband to be, I'll suggest you give it a second thought.
Cheers!!!
Re: Parents And Marriage by N101: 10:02am On Oct 31, 2011
This is sad, I can't even see it as a "happy ending". If the parents of the lady weren't so narrow minded this would have been a happier story. As it is there are damaged people all around - except the parents.

I wonder why the mother now sees this man as acceptable for her daughter to marry?

(1) (Reply)

If You Were In My Shoes / Native Doctor Commits Suicide in Benin City / If This Happens To You, What Would U Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.