Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,350 members, 7,884,775 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 03:29 PM

What Does "OK" Stand For? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Does "OK" Stand For? (24424 Views)

LAUGH & LEARN: What Does OAP Stand For ? / Please What Does Na Dem Dey Rush Us Mean? / What Does 'lamba' Mean (help With Understanding Song Lyrics)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does "OK" Stand For? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Oct 16, 2018
Antipob777:
OK means okirika cloth
Bend down select.

That's what all these girls that call themselves slay queens wear.

Highest price 300 Naira clothes

You will get these clothes at oil mill market in Port Harcourt
Ariaria market Aba
Mile one market Port Harcourt
You seem to have vast knowledge of this items and their selling locations. Are you a dealer??
Re: What Does "OK" Stand For? by vikstandon(m): 2:32pm On Oct 16, 2018
Who has mistakenly written 'ur and u' in exam or official document?
Re: What Does "OK" Stand For? by newjosboy: 2:33pm On Oct 16, 2018
It means Objection Killed
Re: What Does "OK" Stand For? by frankfab(m): 3:42pm On Oct 16, 2018
Realberg:
Yo folks, WE SAY it and type it countless times a day, but have you ever stopped to wonder what “OK” stands for? The word has a bizarre history.
OK stands for “oll korrect”, or “all correct”, Don't ask me Huh. The origin of the word is traced back to a Boston newspaper in 1839. Around this time, the editor used it as an efficient, trendy way of saying “oll korrect”, or “all correct”. It was part of a trend at the time for writers to playfully misspell and abbreviate their words just for the fun of it.
So how did “OK” survive for almost 200 years?
It was all thanks to the 1840 election campaign of Martin Van Buren, who served as the eighth president of the United States. Supporters of the leader formed a club that was affectionately named after his nickname — Old Kinderhook — which became the “OK Club”. Mr Van Buren’s opponents seized on the trend too, using the term to promote political slogans like “out of kash”, “out of karacter”, “orful katastrophe” and “orfully konfused”.

Basically, whether you supported or opposed the man, “OK” was constantly in your face. Observe:

OK: Standard term signifying you are on board with something. Variations include “all right”, “sounds good” and “that’s fine”.
Okay: The modernised American spelling of OK, which also enables its use as a verb: “Seun okayed me to write this pointless message.”
Oooookay: A passive-aggressive expression used to signify the imminent escalation of an argument. It’s also a perfectly adequate response when someone says something vaguely uncomfortable.
Okaaaay: Same as above, but may also signify accepting defeat in said argument, depending on your inflection.
KK: A variation of OK used by tweens of the MySpace era, circa 2005. If you still use this, you now know why you’re still single.
K: You’re either in a hurry, or passive-aggressively expressing your disapproval in a way that conveys you will not tell the recipient why you are no longer speaking to them.

If I'm chatting with you and you reply with "KKK"

I will block you Asap
Re: What Does "OK" Stand For? by chincuss(m): 7:08am On Oct 17, 2018
So how did “OK” survive for almost 200 years?[/b]
It was all thanks to the 1840 election campaign of Martin Van Buren, who served as the eighth president of the United States. Supporters of the leader formed a club that was affectionately named after his nickname — Old Kinderhook — which became the “OK Club”. Mr Van Buren’s opponents seized on the trend too, using the term to promote political slogans like “out of kash”, “out of karacter”, “orful

Lets see if sum trending tins we say or do today cud last ova a hundred yrs
Re: What Does "OK" Stand For? by Herdeoye(m): 1:21pm On Oct 24, 2018
ZACHIE:
The new TWL dictionary lists OK as a valid English word and will be admissible in Scrabble plays from next year, only in America.
However, the rest of the world have kicked against the word in our lexicon.
While OK will be okay in America, it will remain an abbreviation to the British and the rest of humanity

Please can you help me with where I can get a Scrabble dictionary? A friend needs it
Re: What Does "OK" Stand For? by ZACHIE: 1:52pm On Oct 24, 2018
Herdeoye:

Please can you help me with where I can get a Scrabble dictionary? A friend needs it

You can get the app easily on playstore.
hardcopy is available for purchase, if you insist.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

#EndUniabujaOppression: University Of Abuja Students Protest (Photos) / Why Do Nigerian Students Fail Jamb Exams? / (18+) The Japanese Unclad Art Class Photos & Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.