Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,944 members, 7,883,291 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 08:22 AM

Advice For A Biologist - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advice For A Biologist (616 Views)

Can A Micro Biologist Study Msc Forensic Science / My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 / Were Do Marine Biologist Work In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice For A Biologist by Mystic216: 3:42pm On Aug 23, 2018
Hello Nairalanders! This particular question has been bothering me for a long time now,
Please my question is ''where can someone that studied biological science will be able to work after his years in the university?''
Please help forward to front page so I will be able to get perfect answers/advice from people who knows more than I do!

Thanks
Re: Advice For A Biologist by Meel: 4:33pm On Aug 23, 2018
Higher education lecturer.( further your studies and become lecturer in polytechnic, Universities e.t.c)

Research scientist (You can work in Government agencies, like NIMR,, lake chad research institute,
you can also work in NGOs,
Medical and Pharmaceutical Sales rep
industry - food and drink, toiletries, water and biotechnology companies.

You can work in laboratories analysing, plant and soil samples.

The opportunities are numerous.

1 Like

Re: Advice For A Biologist by amadiwati(m): 5:44pm On Aug 23, 2018
This is Nigeria. You don't have to worry about where to work. Get your degree. Get relevant certifications from other fields and all industry is opened to you.
My classmates who studied physics with me work in UBA as I speak. Not as cashier or whatever those front desk people are called. He works in the inner room He has computer skill as an added advantage.
Another one too is a marketer. So worry about the knowledge you'll acquire not just degree paper.

2 Likes

Re: Advice For A Biologist by Jman06(m): 8:30pm On Aug 23, 2018
Op I must be realistic with you. Your best bait is to go for your masters and PhD so you can become a lecturer. Along the line, take up teaching jobs in sec schools to support yourself financially and also do a diploma in education to give you an edge.

Prepare your mind for the above while you pray for a miracle to happen along the way so you can probably land a job in other big organizations.

Don't listen to anybody telling you that you will work as medical representative! You have no knowledge of pharmacology and no good pharmaceutical company will employ you for such because the job requires a sound knowledge of pharmacology to deliver. There are medical detailing to be done, clinical meetings and so on. You need to convince the doctors and healthcare professionals on why they should prescribe your drugs. Good companies know that only pharmacists are in a position to do that job. That is why they spend money to employ pharmacists for the role. Only poor companies, mostly one-man businesses who cannot afford to pay pharmacists would employ just anybody to pay them peanuts. I was once a victim of such poor companies and so i am advising you from experience. Follow my advice above or write JAMB to choose a better course. A word is enough for the wise!

2 Likes

Re: Advice For A Biologist by joedoc44: 9:47pm On Aug 23, 2018
Jman06:
Op I must be realistic with you. Your best bait is to go for your masters and PhD so you can become a lecturer. Along the line, take up teaching jobs in sec schools to support yourself financially and also do a diploma in education to give you an edge.

Prepare your mind for the above while you pray for a miracle to happen along the way so you can probably land a job in other big organizations.

Don't listen to anybody telling you that you will work as medical representative! You have no knowledge of pharmacology and no good pharmaceutical company will employ you for such because the job requires a sound knowledge of pharmacology to deliver. There are medical detailing to be done, clinical meetings and so on. You need to convince the doctors and healthcare professionals on why they should prescribe your drugs. Good companies know that only pharmacists are in a position to do that job. That is why they spend money to employ pharmacists for the role. Only poor companies, mostly one-man businesses who cannot afford to pay pharmacists would employ just anybody to pay them peanuts. I was once a victim of such poor companies and so i am advising you from experience. Follow my advice above or write JAMB to choose a better course. A word is enough for the wise!
very good write up...... aside the write jamb and choose a better course part. Trust me this is Nigeria.. No course is guaranteed anymore though some are advantageous no doubt
But if you love Biology..then get you Bsc-stamp it with an Msc and then crown it with PhD..the good thing is you will have to spend roughly the same time it takes an average Nigerian student to get an MBBS ..to also get those.. most especially if you get money for a private university
knowledge is still power...get loads of it
and the world we look for you
wish you success.... #from an upcoming biologist �

1 Like

Re: Advice For A Biologist by Mystic216: 3:28pm On Aug 24, 2018
Thanks all
I appreciate

(1) (Reply)

Latest! Top 10 Best Institutions In Nigeria 2018 / 25 Best Engineering Schools In The Us And How To Get In / Trucking Schools: NBI Truck Driver Training Institute

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.