Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,883 members, 7,872,904 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 03:51 AM

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread - Car Talk (75) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread (457789 Views)

A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / So Buhari's Official Car Na Boi Boi Sef... / Donald Trump's Official Car "The Beast": 15 Amazing Facts You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (260) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by king406(m): 6:24pm On Aug 04, 2019
zer0day:

thanks bro.. kind406 pls kindly get here oo abi madam no allow u come online today as per weekend nah
i have no complaints whatsoever with the IS but mine is a 2012 model. Most important thing you’ve mentioned is that one of these cars will be ur first car. I dont know your financial capacity, but that is a huge factor in making ur decision between the IS350 and the G35, including your knowledge about cars. These are more sophisticated vehicles than your average corolla, especially the G35. They are not economical vehicles whatsoever and i believe you’ve heard how expensive the IS350 engine is incase it fails, put that in mind. If you drive a lot, be ready to spend a lot on fuel. I advice you take a look at IS250, to me, it makes more sense for a first time user.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:52pm On Aug 04, 2019
king406:
i have no complaints whatsoever with the IS but mine is a 2012 model. Most important thing you’ve mentioned is that one of these cars will be ur first car. I dont know your financial capacity, but that is a huge factor in making ur decision between the IS350 and the G35, including your knowledge about cars. These are more sophisticated vehicles than your average corolla, especially the G35. They are not economical vehicles whatsoever and i believe you’ve heard how expensive the IS350 engine is incase it fails, put that in mind. If you drive a lot, be ready to spend a lot on fuel. I advice you take a look at IS250, to me, it makes more sense for a first time user.

Correct. An IS250 would be, by far, the best option. Low cost maintenance, not excessively fast, and still all-around an excellent car.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by zer0day: 7:50pm On Aug 04, 2019
king406:

thanks for the input.. The interior of the IS250 looks pretty small and more like a 4 passengers car. By the way, did you buy yours locally or shipped from abroad?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by zer0day: 8:00pm On Aug 04, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Correct. An IS250 would be, by far, the best option. Low cost maintenance, not excessively fast, and still all-around an excellent car.

thanks for your inputs. However, the IS250 looks kinda small on the inside but these features you listed really matches. Did you buy your GS35 locally or abroad? How much did it cost you?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Eddee(m): 9:29pm On Aug 04, 2019
zer0day:

I'm leaning towards the G35 because it isn't as popular as the ES350 and feature packed yet cheaper. It's even rated ahead of the ES350 but the fuel consumption and lack of aux input are deal breakers. lastly, this is my first ride

Get an adapter from Aliexpress, do people still use traditional aux cables?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by king406(m): 10:45pm On Aug 04, 2019
zer0day:

thanks for the input.. The interior of the IS250 looks pretty small and more like a 4 passengers car. By the way, did you buy yours locally or shipped from abroad?
yes the IS is rather small in size but so is majority of the competition. I got it shipped from abroad.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by zer0day: 10:46pm On Aug 04, 2019
king406:
yes the IS is rather small in size but so is majority of the competition. I got it shipped from abroad.

Could you give me the steps you took?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by king406(m): 1:17pm On Aug 05, 2019
zer0day:

Could you give me the steps you took?
i was going t there on a little vacation so i made my plan to buy the car there, i bought the car myself from a dealership, contacted a shipping agent and they towed it to the port in new jersey. I picked it up in lagos, cost of shipping from new york to new jersey was $300 and $1000 for shipping.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by thaqib(m): 7:26pm On Aug 05, 2019
So, is there any advantage of an 04/05 highlander over Honda pilot 05 that warrants the marked difference in the price? Isn't pilot also reliable? Is it true pilot is a fuel guzzler? I want to make a choice and the cost of D's Highlander is pocket tearing. On the other hand, pilot is even more spacious and perhaps more eye appealing than highlander. Is there something I don't know...

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by sacx: 10:33pm On Aug 05, 2019
thaqib:
So, is there any advantage of an 04/05 highlander over Honda pilot 05 that warrants the marked difference in the price? Isn't pilot also reliable? Is it true pilot is a fuel guzzler? I want to make a choice and the cost of D's Highlander is pocket tearing. On the other hand, pilot is even more spacious and perhaps more eye appealing than highlander. Is there something I don't know...

Mostly the Toyota factor. Nigerians like cars they can abuse.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 4:57am On Aug 06, 2019
thaqib:

Highlander has better fuel mpg

Highlander has better resale value

Highlander is a Toyota which is tops in reliability
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by jceesquare(m): 7:46am On Aug 06, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Important to note that the three cars have plenty of differences.

ES350 is FWD luxury cruiser. Meant for comfort.
The G35 is a raw sports sedan, albeit also well equipped in terms of Luxury.
The IS is in-between the two.

I have a few threads on the G35, since I own one. You'd do well to check them out.

- Cargo space in the IS is poor.
- IS engine is expensive
- ES350 is the most comfortable, cheapest to maintain, and most popular
- G35 is a fuel guzzler, and the closest thing to a sports car you'll get within that price segment.

If you're a young bachelor, G35 definitely. There's just something about it. wink
You need to update the bolded part on the G experience thread.
Our claims on the lady in yellow has finally been vindicated. grin

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by timilehing(m): 8:56am On Aug 06, 2019
Hello house
On the verge of buying a Nigerian used 2011 Kia Optima. The engine was changed last year (owner was using total oil for servicing) when it was giving a knocking sound. Aside this, the ride is neat and well maintained. Would have gone for Camry Muscle but it is too common with bland interior.
AM I safe to go ahead?

nurey, HeavenlyBang, GAZZUZZ, weyreypey, radautoworks
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 9:01am On Aug 06, 2019
timilehing:
Hello house
On the verge of buying a Nigerian used 2011 Kia Optima. The engine was changed last year (owner was using total oil for servicing) when it was giving a knocking sound. Aside this, the ride is neat and well maintained. Would have gone for Camry Muscle but it is too common with bland interior.
AM I safe to go ahead?

Kia optima is a good car. The Engine change is ok as long as what was removed is what they replaced
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by radautoworks: 11:41am On Aug 07, 2019
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Joe4lv(m): 12:07pm On Aug 07, 2019
radautoworks:
My baby challenging the usurper! Now this is a comparison!

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/volvo/xc60/2019/acura-rdx-vs-volvo-xc60-luxury-crossover-comparison-test/

I don't know why I admire that 'baby usurper' very much as I ride I need to upgrade to next year.

I love the ruggedly looking style of the volvo Xc60 and Xc90.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 3:47pm On Aug 07, 2019
radautoworks:
My baby challenging the usurper! Now this is a comparison!

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/volvo/xc60/2019/acura-rdx-vs-volvo-xc60-luxury-crossover-comparison-test/

XC60 for me, white exterior, cockroach brown leather on the inside grin
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by jidobaba(m): 6:52pm On Aug 07, 2019
Bros and chairmen, what's the verdict on 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser? I think that's the year the engine was tuned to use regular fuel. I just like the spartan looks of the vehicle. Inside and outside.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by zer0day: 7:30am On Aug 08, 2019
king406:
i was going t there on a little vacation so i made my plan to buy the car there, i bought the car myself from a dealership, contacted a shipping agent and they towed it to the port in new jersey. I picked it up in lagos, cost of shipping from new york to new jersey was $300 and $1000 for shipping.

Wow.. It's easier buying yourself than online which i intend doing but it cost about the same amount to ship 2006-2007 cars too? How much was clearing and other things did cost you?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by plugchef: 8:32am On Aug 08, 2019
Good morning to all the Auto guru's in the house, i intend buying a Honda Civic 2009. i am so scared of buying a car that is full of problem or the hand pulling off, kindly advice me if i should buy this car or run away.

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 8:37am On Aug 08, 2019
jidobaba:
Bros and chairmen, what's the verdict on 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser? I think that's the year the engine was tuned to use regular fuel. I just like the spartan looks of the vehicle. Inside and outside.

The Engine was tuned for more horse power both Engines were required to use 91octane but 87 would do too but reduction in power.

The fj cruiser is identical to 4runner, Prado Lexus GX of same year, the only downside I feel is the 1GR which is an expensive Engine so take care of it.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 8:38am On Aug 08, 2019
plugchef:
Good morning to all the Auto guru's in the house, i intend buying a Honda Civic 2009. i am so scared of buying a car that is full of problem or the hand pulling off, kindly advice me if i should buy this car or run away.

No Honda Civic has ever pulled leg since inception in the 1970s and it won't start now. you are covered
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by plugchef: 8:40am On Aug 08, 2019
nurey:

No Honda Civic has ever pulled leg since inception in the 1970s and it won't start now. you are covered

Thank you very much sir, at least that is solved, i hope i wouldn't find more surprises.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by plugchef: 8:42am On Aug 08, 2019
I wish someone could help me with the cost of a Honda Civic 2009 tokunbo engine and gear at least to give me an idea before making my final decision.

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by weyreypey: 8:44am On Aug 08, 2019
plugchef:
I wish someone could help me with the cost of a Honda Civic 2009 tokunbo engine and gear at least to give me an idea before making my final decision.
Ask luvinhubby
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by weyreypey: 8:49am On Aug 08, 2019
nurey:

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by plugchef: 8:53am On Aug 08, 2019
weyreypey:

Ask luvinhubby

Thanks i just called him and he said 150k, that still looks reasonable.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by plugchef: 9:00am On Aug 08, 2019
[quote author=weyreypey post=81053795][/quote]

Bros if you have any contribution please share them, no allow your guy go buy a problematic car ohh, this money took a whole lot of years to save.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by jidobaba(m): 9:23am On Aug 08, 2019
nurey:

The Engine was tuned for more horse power both Engines were required to use 91octane but 87 would do too but reduction in power.

The fj cruiser is identical to 4runner, Prado Lexus GX of same year, the only downside I feel is the 1GR which is an expensive Engine so take care of it.
Thanks bro. What about the 4runner? Do you think it's a better choice overall? I dey fear expensive engine o.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 9:26am On Aug 08, 2019
jidobaba:

Thanks bro. What about the 4runner? Do you think it's a better choice overall? I dey fear expensive engine o.

The 4runner, Prado uses same engine, the only difference is FJ has only 1 Engine 1GR while 4runner has a cheaper V8 engine and the Prado has an i4 engine, diesel etc in it's line up

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by thebigkendo(m): 9:57am On Aug 08, 2019
nurey:

Joker grin grin grin
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 10:02am On Aug 08, 2019
thebigkendo:

Joker grin grin grin
You again grin no meat for you this year

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (260) (Reply)

How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.