Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,610 members, 7,917,958 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 07:07 PM

Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective (3251 Views)

Poll: Do you support President Obasanjo's third term ambition?

Yes.: 11% (4 votes)
No.: 77% (28 votes)
I don't care.: 11% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

Obasanjo And The Copenhegan Foundation Visit Aso Rock (photos) / JP Morgan Index: Getting A Broader Perspective / Obasanjo And Buhari While Commissioning Warri Refinery In 1978 (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by moyosoret(f): 4:17pm On Jan 05, 2006
I wonder why there is so much fuss about Obasanjo’s interest in the Aso Rock seat in 2007. A lot of writers baring their mind on this issue, has accused and called different names the people supporting Baba for a 3rd term forgetting that everybody as much as they do, have a right to their opinion and whomever they want to support. Every human being is selfish and most times makes judgment from their personal point of view

I know and believe so much that our Dear President Obasanjo does not have any third term ambition but rather wants to be careful and watch who he hands over to, which is quite important and vital to our growing democracy so it doesn’t get truncated and the continued fight against corruption and mismanagement which we have been accused of by the International World. If a statement credited to him sometime ago is anything to go by, then I believe he doesn’t nurse any ambition but wants to ensure that his words do not go unfulfilled. Baba was quoted as saying that he doesn’t know who will be president after him, but he knows who will not be. How would he ever want to contest in 2007 for a third term when he is one of those that vehemently opposed Babangida and Abacha in succeeding themselves, and even campaigning against this in other African countries.

I think his avoiding the question on his 3rd term ambition is intentional to keep some people off the track; of which he is getting results. At least Babangida has said he will not run for presidency if he is certain of Baba’s interest, which is just one of many examples. Everyone knows Baba loves to play games and this is one of his many gimmicks, though one may wonder why he is playing with such a sensitive issue but his reasons are tenable. His successor is too important to the growth and advancement of Nigeria and the future of our generation. A lot of things we cry over in the past, especially employment is gradually getting better, the youths of our generation are achieving feats once reserved for the elderly and corrupt government officials. Nigerian women are more relevant than it has ever been in Nigerian history; we are seeing results –that is what we want.

Honestly, I think Baba has tried; corruption is a wound that has eaten Nigeria deep into the bones, and getting the wounds healed and flesh covering it back is an Herculean task, its not something that is as easy as blinking the eyelids. It is certainly a task that will raise criticism from different angles –positive and negative depending on individual beneficial stand. According to these write-ups, those supporting Obasanjo’s third term are doing it to “protect and further their selfish interest”, with the situation of things and Baba’s very long arm of law, I doubt if there is any selfish interest on any body’s part any more, No body can boost of being the President’s friend except you are sure you have never been involved in any incriminating thing in the past. The fear of Obasanjo and EFCC is the beginning of wisdom for everyone.

Though EFCC has been tagged Obasanjo’s weapon at fighting the enemies of his administration and that of his political party. As much as this may be true, we should not forget that if one were totally clean, he wouldn’t have anything to nail anyone with, and for all those in his trap, it is what they have eaten that is hunting after them.

I am not over crediting Obasanjo or trying to polish his CV because I know he can do better, but he deserves a ‘well done applaud’ at least for charting that course that puts all our corrupt leaders in trouble. I once again say, I am not in total support of Obasanjo because he has erred in some areas especially in politics, but we can understand with him that Baba is not a politician, he is an old Yoruba man that believes so much in Yoruba ethics, forgetting that it is not universal, he sees himself as a father that rules his children (Nigerians) forgetting that even Children under biological parents once they are of age refutes their parents orders, and makes their parents understand they have a mind of their own. He sees Nigeria as his baby that he is trying to nurse to maturity, a baby girl that is getting married in 2007, and he as the father of the bride will not want to give out his daughter to a man that will beat and bastardize his daughter economically and politically.

If this is so, then we need not raise so much fear or get emotional about Baba’s silence on his 2007 interest, to the extent of giving people negative names (his supporters) as done by different people on this issue about 3rd term. All we need do is just to keep praying for our dear country and our leaders. We have a God in Nigeria that fights for us, unrepentant Abacha died while Babangida was able to scale through because he handed over power or stepped aside whichever one. So lets leave this issue to God’s judgment as we have always done. Taking a day at a time, and praying for God’s presence not to depart from us.

Moyosore Thomas
Global Fleet Oil & Gas Ltd.
VGC, Lagos
oreolu4real@yahoo.com
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by alheri(f): 4:31pm On Jan 05, 2006
moyosoret, I couldn't help seeing the part where you said OBJ is trying to be carefull who he hands over to. What is his business who he hands over to? Is it now for him to choose who to hand over to? My SIS this is a democracy. Nigerians should determine who rules them, not him. The voters determine, that is democracy the way it should be. If we vote Alams again, let it be that is the peoples choice, that is democracy to me.

OBJ is not our (Nigerians) father and cannot determine who we marry (vote for) as you put. We are old enough to fall in love of our own freewill and marry whom we choose (whether ugly, poor or evil).
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by otitoloju(m): 5:17pm On Jan 05, 2006
Fellow igerian do not be deceived. If OBJ was on the look out for a successor he would have groomed someone by now (just over a year to the elections). The fact that he is not grooming anyone and he does not seem to want any other person to enter Aso Rock tells me only one thing - he wants to stay beyond 2007. SHINE YOUR EYEs! shocked
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by Afam(m): 6:10pm On Jan 05, 2006
Hi Thomas,

Good post.

Unfortunately, we have a lot of Nigerians that are blinded with suspicion and hatred for the man OBJ to the extent that they have failed to look at any issue other than seeing him leave Aso Rock in 2007.

Like you stated, every one is entitled to his/her own opinion.

I think a lot of Nigerians are missing the point completely.
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by Seun(m): 6:33pm On Jan 05, 2006
If he had been honest enough to simply say "yes, I am considering the possibility of running for presidency in 2007" then there will have been a prolonged national debate and by now many Nigerians will have been thinking, "ok, maybe OBJ would be a good choice for 2007". But by decieving us he is making himself look like a crook and this makes us to want him to leave in 2007. He could have avoided this problem by being sincere and throwing this debate to the public.
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by JP(m): 6:59pm On Jan 05, 2006
Seun I agree with you.I see no reason why he will put a nation like Nigeria in suspence
for so long.So he better go in 2007 and that will be better for our democracy.
Power MUST change hands.
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by pluto04(m): 7:16pm On Jan 05, 2006
moyosoret, i couldnt read your essay because it was too long. But I couldnt help seeing the part where you said OBJ is trying to be carefull who he hands over to. What is his business who he hands over to? Is it now for him to choose who to hand over to? My BRO this is a democracy. Nigerians should determine who rules them, not him. The voters determine, that is democracy the way it should be. If we vote Alams again, let it be that is the peoples choice, that is democracy to me.
OBJ is not our(Nigerians) father and cannot determine who we marry(Vote for) as you put. We are old enough to fall in love of our own freewill and marry whom we choose(whether ugly,poor or evil).

Well said alheri!

@Seun: Is it possible to turn this to a poll? For and against OBJ's alleged third term?
For me, I think it is morally wrong and will make nonsense of whatever perceived good OBJ has done for Nigeria. He'll simply join the infamous hall of African "Sit Tight" rulers!
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by Seun(m): 7:33pm On Jan 05, 2006
Done. I would like to invite everyone to vote in the poll above.
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by olex(m): 9:10pm On Jan 05, 2006
This should not be about Obasnajo but about a respect for the law. What is wrong with people in Africa? The law makes it clear that a leader in Nigeria can only serve two four-year terms. So what if Obasanjo has reduced corruption and improved the economy? Isn’t that his job, for goodness sake? Does George Bush go seeking a third term because he has succeeded in a War on Terror?

Sometimes, I believe Africa is backward because we have no respect for our laws. Obasanjo should just go in 2007 and let Nigeria continue. I have nothing against him. Actually, I like him a bit. But Nigeria is greater than a single person. We need to start respecting what is written in our law books and not changing them to suit our political or personal aspirations. Except we do this, the rest of the world will move forward and we, black Africans, will regress.
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by Seun(m): 10:52pm On Jan 05, 2006
Well in this case, there is a senate committee empowered by the constitutions to make changes to it. One change they are considering is to either make it legal for a president or governor to run for a third term in office or extend the term to span 6 years instead of 4.

Once the change has been made to the constitution, it becomes legal for the president to run for a third term. In that case the tendency is for him to want to win that election at all costs, which means bringing down his opponents using whatever means are necessary. This is what we are afraid of.
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by olex(m): 11:44pm On Jan 05, 2006
Senate committee empowered by the constitution to make what changes? Under what conditions? Will a general referendum be involved? A constitution is a weighty piece of document that can only be accurately interpreted by the judiciary. Its misuse by the executive arm of government to perpetuate its stay in power is illegal, immoral, barbaric and shameful.

Why do such things only happen in Africa persistently? The rest of the world has moved on, we on the other hand are deluding ourselves. Obasanjo should just go. The mere mention of a third term is a setback for Nigeria.

America has been operating for about 250 years with the same constitution that states that a president can only serve two-four year terms. Why can’t Nigeria operate it even for once? Aren’t we the same human beings or are we genetically predisposed to act stupidly. I think we are backward in our way of thinking and unless we start thinking progressively, our fate will ever remain in the hands of rulers that continue to misuse power.
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by Akolawole(m): 3:27am On Jan 06, 2006
Did you all want OBJ to go to NTA & Radio nigeria to inform us daily that He's not going to stay beyond 2007?
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by Seun(m): 6:53am On Jan 06, 2006
Akolawole, it has been established that OBJ has a third term ambition. Please don't even try to insinuate otherwise, because that will be dishonest. Read https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-3078.0.html
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by Akolawole(m): 9:23am On Jan 06, 2006
@Seun
Dont forget you once posted a link where he denied it openly. Did you forget ?.

My friend, i heared the speculation from a very "reliable source" as well which is why i authored a post called " If OBJ STAYS, WHOSE FAULT ?

I hate rumours and  Speculations, please lets wait for OBJ, by the end of the year WE GO KNOW NOW?

WHY HEADACHE NOW?
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by Chxta(m): 9:45am On Jan 06, 2006
Great post Thomas.

Concerning the EFCC thing, I agree totally. My view has always been this: Obj can't be there forever. If EFCC set a precedent of catching crooks (even if they be just Obj's enemies for the time being), they'd eventually become independent and then we'll see something we will all like.

Having said that, I don't like the 3rd term thing and I am praying that he isn't that stupid.
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by Bibi(m): 9:53am On Jan 06, 2006
OBJ has said more than twice that hes going in 2007. If anyone knows a reliable source to the contrary, please share it. Apart from a few psycophants from the South supporting the idea, the whole schemeing is from the Nothern politicians who will continue to drive the speculation simply because:
1. They refuse to belief OBJ (Why not, their own bretheren have been there, they lied, they stayed..Gowon, IBB, Abacha)
2. The North is using this as a tool against plans to keep presidency in the South. You see, the North erred when they asked for Presidency to be zoned to North now. There is no North or south according to 1999 constitution. There are 6 geo-political zones. For now, if we are following rotational principles, It was South West with OBJ. The remaining Geo political zones have everything to demand for the next turn. The "North" is attempting it via Coersion. None of the three geo-political zones in the North has demamnded for it (unlike South East and South-South).

NB: OBJs 3rd term ambition is to gkeep the presidency in the South-South. The South East is not mature for presidency.
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by Afam(m): 1:36pm On Jan 06, 2006
olex:

Senate committee empowered by the constitution to make what changes? Under what conditions? Will a general referendum be involved? A constitution is a weighty piece of document that can only be accurately interpreted by the judiciary. Its misuse by the executive arm of government to perpetuate its stay in power is illegal, immoral, barbaric and shameful.

Why do such things only happen in Africa persistently? The rest of the world has moved on, we on the other hand are deluding ourselves. Obasanjo should just go. The mere mention of a third term is a setback for Nigeria.

America has been operating for about 250 years with the same constitution that states that a president can only serve two-four year terms. Why can’t Nigeria operate it even for once? Aren’t we the same human beings or are we genetically predisposed to act stupidly. I think we are backward in our way of thinking and unless we start thinking progressively, our fate will ever remain in the hands of rulers that continue to misuse power.

1. It is not every amendment that warrants for a referendum.

2. The statement that the US have been practicing 2 - 4 year terms is completely false. FD was sworn in for a record 4 terms in office but died early into his 4th term in office, that was about 50 years ago. So, the US actually limited the number of terms to 2 terms of 4 years each around that time.

We must not present outright lies or misinformation in a bid to win a case.
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by alheri(f): 2:38pm On Jan 06, 2006
Akolawole:

Did you all want OBJ to go to NTA & Radio nigeria to inform us daily that He's not going to stay beyond 2007?

Honestly kola i wouldnt mind if he does that grin. At least,it will save me all the saliva Ive been wasting discussing this issue! wink
And am sure I will see you behind him when he is making the announcements on TV in your made in Nigeria ankara. grin
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by olex(m): 2:58pm On Jan 06, 2006
Thanks for the correction. But since the constitution was amended in 1951 to state such, has it been abused? When I begin to look at the diversity of views on this forum, I begin to understand why Nigeria appears hopeless.

African leaders have a propensity for sitting in office as though it is their birthright. No American president before Roosevelt served more than two terms, despite the fact it was allowed, and none after him has done so.

Democracy can only work in educated and enlightened societies. Much of black Africa is too backward.
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by Afam(m): 3:52pm On Jan 06, 2006
Olex,

The diversity of views on discussion forums is healthy and should be encouraged. We need to discuss issues openly and fankly if we intend to make meaningful progress.

I do not believe in condemnation for the sake of it.

A country's constitution is flexible, no country has a fixed constitution, it remains a working document. There is absolutely nothing wrong if the Nigerian constitution is amended to serve any purpose as long as the purpose if for the overall interest of the country.

Bearing this in mind, the next question is - whose interest is it for the constitution to be amended to allow for a 3rd term today? Is it for a personal interest eg to suit OBJ's personal plan? Or, is it for the betterment of the country?

If it is for the country, then there is nothing wrong in amending it even if they do so every month.

If it is for OBJ's personal plan then Nigerians should say NO and attempt to stop such plans by doing the right thing.

All these noise about 3rd term is complete waste of time.

The only body saddled with the responsibility of amending the constitution is the National Assembly. If these law makers say NO to 3rd term agenda, the thing will die a natural and sure death.

So, if the law makers remain the only body empowered to make such changes, why are we not focusing our energies on them, telling them that we do not want such amendment.

If they agreee with us, then the agenda will die, if they disagree with us, then there is nothing we can do because we are practicing democracy where the majority will continue to have their way and the minority their say.

If we do not like those representing us at all levels of law making, then we should get involved and ensure that only credible Nigerians are elected. It is not enough to be talking and writing all the time without doing anything.
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by bagoma(f): 6:49pm On Jan 06, 2006
if only elections are true and fair then the masses will have their way but alas it isn't so. not in Nigeria.
@ alheri,
if i were Obj i would be very concerned as to who i handover power to in 2007.
i wouldnt want to find out after i've left office that all i had labored for 8yrs goes down the drain. yes he should have a huge say as to who comes in after him. its only natural!
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by Akolawole(m): 6:54pm On Jan 06, 2006
@Afam
Your joy will be limitless in 2006.

Your paragraph 8 says it all: " The only body saddled with......"

Nothing more to add.
Thank you.
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by luridguy(m): 9:13pm On Jan 06, 2006
if obj has plans of changing the constitution so he can finish what he clamis he has started it will at the end of the day be damaging to the country .....cause if he changes it a president can stay longer than the required time what do u think............get ready for dictatorship God forbid if some like ibb entres what will happen ........so it is better he just steps down now and let the constitution remain has it is
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by Akolawole(m): 2:45am On Jan 07, 2006
Can OBJ changes Constitution?
NO

Cant we just sit our Senators down and warn them to resist the "evil" perpetrated by the big-Stomach Ota farmer?

It will not be suprising if most members here even dont know their Senators
shocked
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by pendelite(f): 3:54am On Jan 07, 2006
The problem with we’all (Nigerian’s) is the Nigerian attitude, Chop and clean mouth.

First, the person that started this topic put in their name, address and email, did anyone bother to look at the profile?
If you missed it here, (Global Fleet Oil & Gas Ltd.), owned by whom? Barrister. Jimoh Ibrahim, a young enterprising Nigerian. http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/ceomagazine/2005/jan/31/ceomagazine-31-01-2005-001.htm

In the current repressive Nigeria, would you put your name if you were criticizing the government? I for one, read not just the words, but intents and motives. Did you know that even in anarchy there are beneficiaries?

The introduction was glowing, in detail we were told what the President denies (or rather refused to talk about) where the writer offers an explanation and a motive. Did she attend some private meeting and can tell us with certainty the President’s motive or is this pure speculation, therefore of no use or consequence.

This is not a BROADER PERSPECTIVE, it reads to me as testing the ground. OBJ must leave at the end of his term, he needs to encourage a process the elects a successor, not an appointment but give us the opportunity to elect someone desired by the people and expressed through a popular vote.
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by Akolawole(m): 4:50am On Jan 07, 2006
@Pendelite
Dont forget Moyosoret just joinned the forum, wether you are praising or condemning OBJ, you don't need to expose your address. I've pm her on this anyway.

Going back to Jimoh Ibrahim.
If i could remember very very well, He is an ANPP man in fact he was the ANPP governorship candidate in Ondo state. He make his first money by organising seminars for local government personells. He made quite a lot of money from this.
Pendelite: How on earth could a Buhari man be OBJ's beneficiary !

My Friend, Did you have a private session with OBJ to know he will be staying as well?
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by ik3: 1:32pm On Jan 07, 2006
Whether, Obasanjo rules again or not is not really the bone we must pick with him, all we just need is for life to be better for the ordinary man in the street.
Hitherto, if he happens to rules again should not bring a gravaman in the country socio-political development ,but the evil is if he rules to either nourish the sufferings of Nigerians or to compensate his allies whom he thought he'd offended at the detriment of the undernourished , poor, decapitalized masses.
Though, he may have made some mistakes earliest by wildly increasing the pump price not paying regards of what this have on his people, i still believe he's realized his mistakes and will not tow along that line anymore.
He is to me a new revolutionary on the making, as he intends to make a clean sweep of the Nigeria political arena by ridding it out of the throes of corruption.
4rm ikechukwu, cool Otoide,
Graduate Applicant
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by pendelite(f): 3:02pm On Jan 07, 2006
I.k, a system evolves when everyone plays by the rules and work in defence of the system.We cannot change the rules in mid-game. If I accept your argument that it does no matter whether OBJ stays or goes, then we must accept the fact that whatever we find ourselves in we must accept without question.

You talk about the good and the bad of the OBJ administration and see it as balanced from your perspective, he has done a job but for a few mistakes. From my perspective, he has done a fairly decent job (see my points elsewhere). But that is not the issue, we need young men and women and a steady supply of them to bring us into the future.

He has done his bit; he has done well in some areas and others, failed. Now is the time for him to leaving in blazing glory like he did before (remember how we continue to applaud him for this action) and others will continue from where he stopped. A good leader would have groomed his successors, that’s what your parent did to you.

Please note, I think that OBJ came to the job with good intentions and has remained consistent over time, in his first foray he gave Nigerians a stake in their country. In the second he cleaned up some of the mess that was Nigeria. It is still a task in progress but the clock has run out like it will for everyone of us in our lives. We must make hay while the sun shines because when the moment comes we cannot argue with our maker. Imagine asking God for more time to finish the tasks you did not do or simply did not bother with before the end time.

It is time for OBJ to pack his belongings and go back to being a farmer or whatever future activity he has planned for himself. From the end of his term, Nigerians will write about him in the history books; some will acclaim him, others will vilify him. For the rest of humanity there will be questions about what he did or did not do. In the future, Nigerians will build Parks, Museums, and Stadiums etc. in his name or simply wipe his name from history. That is left to posterity. He needs to take this last year and consolidate his gains and his name and help us identify the person that will build on his legacy

Thank you
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by luridguy(m): 4:39pm On Jan 07, 2006
It is time for OBJ to pack his belongings and go back to being a farmer or whatever future activity he has planned for himself. From the end of his term, Nigerians will write about him in the history books; some will acclaim him, others will vilify him. For the rest of humanity there will be questions about what he did or did not do. In the future, Nigerians will build Parks, Museums, and Stadiums etc. in his name or simply wipe his name from history. That is left to posterity. He needs to take this last year and consolidate his gains and his name and help us identify the person that will build on his legacy

word cool
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by erekihc: 10:06pm On Jan 07, 2006
OBJ Knows best. OBJ is the only intelligent and able man to rule Nigeria. Why cant we simply accept that and let him rule us for ever (Even after he meets up with his god)
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by pendelite(f): 10:27pm On Jan 07, 2006
Which one, the god or God (lol) cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Obasanjo And Third Term: A Broader Perspective by mmomi(f): 2:50pm On Jan 09, 2006
We all know the system in Nigeria, whether you vote or not, the result must be out.The turning has gone round and round enough. I believe one thing *this time is for God's people* if only we can have one mind and say enough is enough.I stopped my ICSA (professional study) because of money(two hundred pounds per course) over there is a chicken change.I have five to write. Only God can save us.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unmasking The "kingpin Of Blackmailer" At Pointblanknews.com-jackson Ude / Obiano Inspects Mega Projects / Automatic Ticket For Buhari Causes Stir In APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.