Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,255 members, 7,880,961 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:04 AM

This Is Why Your Engine Vibrates When You Turn On The A/C - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / This Is Why Your Engine Vibrates When You Turn On The A/C (1512 Views)

Do You Turn Off Your Car While At Filling Station Queue ? / My Lexus Car Vibrates When I Turn It On / Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

This Is Why Your Engine Vibrates When You Turn On The A/C by AutosageNaija: 12:09pm On Aug 29, 2018
Question:

Hello, Autosage, my car engine vibrates when I turn on the A/C. What is the cause?

Answer:

Your car is simply giving you a sign that something is wrong somewhere. It could be serious and it could be minor. It may be a mechanical fault or a simple electrical fault. It could even be that your mechanic forgot to fix one or two mounts. Or that a hose is loose.

When your AC gives you any sign the first thing you think of is, oh my compressor is bad. But thankfully it is not your AC that is complaining it is your engine that vibrates when the AC is turned on. The issue is therefore with your engine. Read this article on 5 ways to take care of your A/C compressor.

Wait, don’t be alarmed, for all I know the problem could be you. When was the last time you serviced the engine? Do you have regular maintenance culture? What are your driving habits like, good? I just want to make sure that you are not killing yourself by yourself.

If the fault is not from your end, then let us assume that your engine is down and needs a serious tune-up. Take your engine for servicing, change the oils and lubricants. Change the coolants too so the engine will some fresh breaths. Read how to do it yourself here to save extra cash.

Now let us look at other things outside your circle.

Other Possible reasons why your engine vibrates when you turn on the A/C are:

Loose or disconnected Hoses

Loose or disconnected hoses may cause engine vibration. Make sure there are no loose hoses and that every hose is tight and connected to the mounts as appropriate. If you are not good with machines or you are afraid of grease, ask your mechanic to check.

Old spark plugs

Old spark plugs could cause your engine to shake or vibrate. Make sure the plugs are not broken at the head. One of the plugs may be broken and needs a replacement. That is why when you turn on the AC the engine vibrates because there is a disconnection during initial power generation. However, these are what you must know before changing your spark plugs.

Worn engine mounts

Another more serious case could be a worn engine mount. This is very common. Some mechanic will not tell you that some of the mounts are bad and needs changing. Others will simply forget one mount and couple your car like that.

Check it out by comparing your car with another person’s own. Or better still take it to another mechanic and let him check it out.

Internal engine damage

Another could be internal engine damage. It is a more serious problem which rarely occurs. But if that is the problem, you need to quickly find a professional mechanic to look into your car now. I pray this is not the case though. You can read my other post on how to care for your engine here.

Engine maintenance

engine maintenance is key to the overall wellbeing of your car
When you turn on the A/C, it exacts so much strain on the engine. If the engine is not in a very good shape, it could cause it to vibrate. And then relax again to normal.

Bad air flow sensor

Engine components like the air flow sensor should be checked properly. The engine and the ac compressor depend on it for air, if it’s not in good shape, it’s a problem,

Faulty Fuel Injectors

Fuel injectors should be checked too to make sure it is injecting enough fuel into the engine. The main function of the fuel injection system is to deliver fuel to the engine in the right amount and at the right time.

If the injector is not working well, the engine won’t get enough fuel. So when you turn on the a/c the engine will not be able to carry it because it is (dehydrating,) dry and weak.

Clogged EGR valve

The EGR valve may be clogged with excessive dirt. The Exhaust Gas Circulation EGR works by distributing a portion of the engine’s exhaust gas back to the engine cylinder. The EGR can malfunction and become stuck. This causes a pinging sound coming from the engine.

In short, the EGR reduces emissions in your car thereby reducing the temperature in the engine. If the EGR is not completely bad, it just needs cleaning thoroughly and you are good to go. But buy another one if you can afford it.

Faulty AC compressors

The A/c compressor is the first thing that came to your mind the moment I saw your question but then there are other possible effects that could be wrong with your car.

Because the AC is powered by your engine, it draws power from it when you turn it on which does have a huge impact on your engine performance. But if your engine is in good health, it won’t even feel that the A/C is there.

The bottom line is that this is not an ordinary issue that you can fix yourself. However, knowing exactly what is wrong with your car will go a long way in helping you know what kind of mechanic to hire for the job.

Again, it will also alert you to the urgency of the situation. You do not have to put it off any longer. Do it today. Locate a professional mechanic in your area and let him use a scanner to diagnose your car and find the actual fault. You can read why you should not let your car sleep in a mechanic here.

Due to the Nigerian factor, it won’t be easy to find a professional mechanic but if you look properly you will find one. The price might be higher, but it is worth the price.

Who knows, we might be lucky, and your engine is just weak and needs a tune-up as I said.

Have a nice day!

Feel free to reach us let us know how it went down.

Share your experience here too so that others will learn from it.

You can reach us via our social handles; Autosage Nigeria

Or via mail autosagenaija@gmail.com

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why Your Engine Vibrates When You Turn On The A/C by Kewtt: 12:18pm On Aug 29, 2018
AutosageNaija:
Question:

Hello, Autosage, my car engine vibrates when I turn on the A/C. What is the cause?

Answer:

Your car is simply giving you a sign that something is wrong somewhere. It could be serious and it could be minor. It may be a mechanical fault or a simple electrical fault. It could even be that your mechanic forgot to fix one or two mounts. Or that a hose is loose.

When your AC gives you any sign the first thing you think of is, oh my compressor is bad. But thankfully it is not your AC that is complaining it is your engine that vibrates when the AC is turned on. The issue is therefore with your engine. Read this article on 5 ways to take care of your A/C compressor.

Wait, don’t be alarmed, for all I know the problem could be you. When was the last time you serviced the engine? Do you have regular maintenance culture? What are your driving habits like, good? I just want to make sure that you are not killing yourself by yourself.

If the fault is not from your end, then let us assume that your engine is down and needs a serious tune-up. Take your engine for servicing, change the oils and lubricants. Change the coolants too so the engine will some fresh breaths. Read how to do it yourself here to save extra cash.

Now let us look at other things outside your circle.

Other Possible reasons why your engine vibrates when you turn on the A/C are:

Loose or disconnected Hoses

Loose or disconnected hoses may cause engine vibration. Make sure there are no loose hoses and that every hose is tight and connected to the mounts as appropriate. If you are not good with machines or you are afraid of grease, ask your mechanic to check.

Old spark plugs

Old spark plugs could cause your engine to shake or vibrate. Make sure the plugs are not broken at the head. One of the plugs may be broken and needs a replacement. That is why when you turn on the AC the engine vibrates because there is a disconnection during initial power generation. However, these are what you must know before changing your spark plugs.

Worn engine mounts

Another more serious case could be a worn engine mount. This is very common. Some mechanic will not tell you that some of the mounts are bad and needs changing. Others will simply forget one mount and couple your car like that.

Check it out by comparing your car with another person’s own. Or better still take it to another mechanic and let him check it out.

Internal engine damage

Another could be internal engine damage. It is a more serious problem which rarely occurs. But if that is the problem, you need to quickly find a professional mechanic to look into your car now. I pray this is not the case though. You can read my other post on how to care for your engine here.

Engine maintenance

When you turn on the A/C, it exacts so much strain on the engine. If the engine is not in a very good shape, it could cause it to vibrate. And then relax again to normal.

Bad air flow sensor

Engine components like the air flow sensor should be checked properly. The engine and the ac compressor depend on it for air, if it’s not in good shape, it’s a problem,

Faulty Fuel Injectors

Fuel injectors should be checked too to make sure it is injecting enough fuel into the engine. The main function of the fuel injection system is to deliver fuel to the engine in the right amount and at the right time.

If the injector is not working well, the engine won’t get enough fuel. So when you turn on the a/c the engine will not be able to carry it because it is (dehydrating,) dry and weak.

Clogged EGR valve

The EGR valve may be clogged with excessive dirt. The Exhaust Gas Circulation EGR works by distributing a portion of the engine’s exhaust gas back to the engine cylinder. The EGR can malfunction and become stuck. This causes a pinging sound coming from the engine.

In short, the EGR reduces emissions in your car thereby reducing the temperature in the engine. If the EGR is not completely bad, it just needs cleaning thoroughly and you are good to go. But buy another one if you can afford it.

Faulty AC compressors

The A/c compressor is the first thing that came to your mind the moment I saw your question but then there are other possible effects that could be wrong with your car.

Because the AC is powered by your engine, it draws power from it when you turn it on which does have a huge impact on your engine performance. But if your engine is in good health, it won’t even feel that the A/C is there.

The bottom line is that this is not an ordinary issue that you can fix yourself. However, knowing exactly what is wrong with your car will go a long way in helping you know what kind of mechanic to hire for the job.

Again, it will also alert you to the urgency of the situation. You do not have to put it off any longer. Do it today. Locate a professional mechanic in your area and let him use a scanner to diagnose your car and find the actual fault. You can read why you should not let your car sleep in a mechanic here.

Due to the Nigerian factor, it won’t be easy to find a professional mechanic but if you look properly you will find one. The price might be higher, but it is worth the price.

Who knows, we might be lucky, and your engine is just weak and needs a tune-up as I said.

Have a nice day!

Feel free to reach us let us know how it went down.

Share your experience here too so that others will learn from it.

You can reach us via our social handles; Autosage Nigeria

Or via mail autosagenaija@gmail.com

Sounds like oko oloyun or yemkem who gives the symptoms of everything without any specific details...

Osheyy agbalagbi kazeem

Re: This Is Why Your Engine Vibrates When You Turn On The A/C by uboma(m): 3:43pm On Aug 29, 2018
very informative thread.

(1) (Reply)

2010 Lexus RX 350 Review / Kindly Help!!! Peculiar And Problems With Volkswagen Jetta / When ICE Cars Drowns in Flood,All-electric Cars Keeps Cruising:Check This Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.