Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,203 members, 7,887,532 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 10:12 AM

Why Do People Faint? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do People Faint? (1592 Views)

Why Do Some Men Faint When They Urinate At Night? / Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... / Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Faint? by nkemkelly(m): 12:30am On Apr 02, 2007
after so much thought on why people faint i decided to ask the question:why do people faint?do you have any experience?what led to it(fainting)?could you share your experience or how you think it could be handled.
Re: Why Do People Faint? by OmoEko1(f): 12:41am On Apr 02, 2007
I fainted one time during soccer practice, i think becos i was dehydrated and also it was over 100degree with a very high humidity.
Re: Why Do People Faint? by cuteass1(f): 12:55am On Apr 02, 2007
I've actually fainted twice

one was at the market, i had just come back to Nigeria and went to the market with my mum

(who has visited the Onitsha-main-market during christmas? well some kids do not make it out, some kids die of suffocation and don't survive, yea that's how hectic it is)

well, back to my story, i fainted in the middle of the rushing, guess my body was no longer used to that kind of enviroment wink

The second one was at a wedding, i fainted immediatel i got out of the car. Guess as soccerquee said it could be caused by dehydration cos my dad being a "doctor" served me lots of cold drinks and i felt much better afterwards cheesy
Re: Why Do People Faint? by hannydarl(f): 5:28pm On Apr 07, 2007
I fainted once it was due to dehydration and the fact that i dint eat for long like 2 months and was throwing up any liquid i took cause i was sick.I blacked out while walking
Re: Why Do People Faint? by chii: 12:41pm On Jul 30, 2007
Some people faint because they are pretending to faint for one reason or another grin

I remember back then in school, a friend fainted because our car mistakenly ran into an okada man in town and the indigenes of the town wanted to beat us up.Crowd gathering, noise everywhere, no students around to help us out, she dropped and the situation changed. She was rushed to the hospital and we were freed. grin
Re: Why Do People Faint? by naabeauty7(f): 5:35am On Jul 31, 2007
grin People faint because of a lack of blood flow and decreased oxygen to the brain. The cause of fainting can be related to a number of conditions or situations, some involving the heart, many not. People most often faint as the result of an abnormal circulatory reflex. Some people faint at the sight of blood, in a crowded room, or even from excessive coughing. This is referred to as situational fainting and might affect a person repeatedly, but only in a very specific situation. People may also faint when standing up after lying down. Referred to as postural fainting, this results from a decreased flow of blood to the brain, usually as the result of a drop in blood pressure.
Re: Why Do People Faint? by naijaking1: 11:44pm On Aug 01, 2007
The basic physiology of fainting is related to the fact that when there is acute decrease in blood supply to the brain,

the body (by some primitive reflexes) tends to equilibrate the heart and brain levels to improve blood supply to the brain-- that's all.

The equilibration happens by falling flat, ie reducing the work of pumping blood from the heart (downstairs) to the brain(upstairs).

The pump works better when the 2 organs are on the same floor.

So, when next your friend faints, do him a favor, lay him or her flat for a while, until he wakes up or the emergency service arrives. Helping him to stand up "to prevent shame" may do him more harm.

Causes and cures of fainting are wide and varied.
Re: Why Do People Faint? by karlken(m): 4:19pm On Aug 02, 2007
@naijaking,correct info.keep it up! cool

(1) (Reply)

Ho Do I Cure Ulcer? / AMAZING: A New Part Of Human Body Discovered[PHOTO] / Bitter Kola To The Rescue? Scientist Reveals Possible Cure For Ebola Virus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.