Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,344 members, 7,881,277 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 03:43 PM

Game Development: Join The Team - Programming (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Game Development: Join The Team (54347 Views)

Nigerian Game Development: What's Happening? / Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team / Who Wants to Start an Electronic Game Development Company? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 11:19am On Feb 08, 2011
@Big star

I will send you the link to the download page when i get on my pc. I stay in Lagos, it would be nice to know where every other person resides. That way we'll know the best place for the meeting.

Cheers
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by BigStar1(m): 12:32pm On Feb 08, 2011
@worldbest, despite the fact that your last post is hidden, I still found a way of reading it. I shall be expecting the link. Moreso, It will be better to request from other interested contibutors their locations, then we can conclude on the venue. I don't think we have a directory(email address or mobile nos) for the members, it would have been the best way of informing them about the request, I mean their locations.

The time limit for this should not be later than Friday (Feb 11, 2011)

Thanks.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Nobody: 5:53pm On Feb 08, 2011
worldbest:

@Big Star and Harmone

You are correct, we currently are not organised atall. I also support the idea of closing the registration. I have been viewing this thread ever since and i must say gameaddict has been really cool. The problem is, we have not yet understood how to manage the flow of this project, how to efficiently share resources because we cannot have someone creating a level while another person is creating another different level. The fact that we also have not deviced a way to communicate physically is also a motivation drainer. As big star has said, a costless meeting will certainly be great, that way, we will know we have a team.

I also think we need to put our great storyline aside for now because we lack the required capacity to make such storyline happen. My suggestion is we create little games that are relatively simple. For example, we create a game where the player has to pick stars, a game where the player has to feel a basket with balls etc. Simple games like that lets us learn and by doing so we are preparing ourselves for our main goal.

I have a personal project that i am still working on but i stil feel hunted by the 'spirit' of this project. Right now i have two books on unity that i am currently reading. i will be posting stuffs i do hear for all to see.

Lets prevent this we have started from going down like others.

Cheers

It's called source-control. You guys will have to commision a server where you commit/checkout your resources.
Look up SVN.

This should have actually been the very first step of your project.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 10:43pm On Feb 08, 2011
@2buff

Yeah, We know we needed some form of SVN so we selected sourceforge.

@BigStar

Here are the links:

http://www.ebook3000.com/Programming/General/Unity-3D-Game-Development-by-Example--Beginner__-Guide_101587.html
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5731737/Unity_Game_Development_Essentials

i am currently reading the 200th page of the first book. I'm really learning alot.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Nobody: 11:15pm On Feb 08, 2011
Yeah unity is a blast grin
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 9:08am On Feb 09, 2011
@2buff

You are so correct.

I'm currently working on a memory game. Actually, im following the book. Its 2D, and everything is being made only with the Unity GUI. I have really cool simple mechanics to tryout once i finish reading the books. Plus the scripting in javascript is quite simple.

Anyone with basic javascript knowledge and is really interested in game dev can join.

Cheers
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Dkaz(m): 7:17pm On Feb 09, 2011
Hmmm
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Ojukwu24(m): 8:31am On Feb 11, 2011
Hi guys. Am sorry i've not been part of this project for a long time. My laptop graphics card crashed when working out something on the project. Am planning on getting anoda pc b4 the end of the month,but i just want to say something. I expected to see a big progress when i visit this site but I've seen that we hv not gone far. The reason is that there is no proper planning. There is no project without a plan. There should be departments like grafix,coding etc for easy implementation of the plan we have. If we talk about meeting physically like some have suggested, its not a bad one but someone like me in Kaduna will find it difficult to go to Lagos.
Hope you consider that. Pls lets find out a workable means to finish what we have started. Lets get back to the drawing board(like super eagles).
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by BigStar1(m): 3:12pm On Feb 11, 2011
Ojukwu24:

Hi guys. Am sorry i've not been part of this project for a long time. My laptop graphics card crashed when working out something on the project. Am planning on getting anoda pc b4 the end of the month,but i just want to say something. I expected to see a big progress when i visit this site but I've seen that we hv not gone far. The reason is that there is no proper planning. There is no project without a plan. There should be departments like grafix,coding etc for easy implementation of the plan we have. If we talk about  meeting physically like some have suggested, its not a bad one but someone like me in Kaduna will find it difficult to go to Lagos.
Hope you consider that. Pls lets find out a workable means to finish what we have started. Lets get back to the drawing board(like super eagles).

Thank God I have a supporter, I thought of physical meeting because it would improve our level of seriousness about the project but all the same. The issue of schedule of duty is very important. Let's look into it. Then the importance of drawing board can not also be overlooked, because he who fail to plan plan to fail.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 8:53pm On Feb 11, 2011
Hey guys! How are you all doing?

Nice to see some re-organizations going on and thanks for the complements. I've been going through a lot lately, skool, social life etc I haven't had time to do much work but I've always had the project on my mind.

I'm also happy to see you guys taking your time to learn more about unity 3d. Through dedication and experimentation, we'll one day be able to bring our dreams to life. Like they say, It's only a matter of time.

I'll be having my first semester exams soon but I'll be done by the end of the month. Cheers guys.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 10:27pm On Feb 11, 2011
I agree with Ojukwu. We need departments, recently i was trying to create a test model to do some testing. I just got frustrated and stopped. Right now, i believe we have no problem with the programming department but i cannot say so for the graphics department. The only member who signed up with good graphics artist credentials is Harmone. I am sure if we put up a thread in the graphics board of Nairaland, we will get some people to join us.

We need the below department/groups:

Programming(Javascript required)

Graphics
-2D Artists
-3D Artists
-Animators

For the meeting, i am not sure of how we will go about it, although i am in full support of it. Personally i dont know if i would be able to leave lagos or if others are willing to leave their states to be in lagos for the meeting. I would suggest we do it online real-time or we do a form of conference call some night. We can also, do a group chat. We can also create a private Facebook or google group. We need to use all forms of present technologies to bring ourselves closer(Just like the blender team).

Update

I just created a google group solely for us.

http://groups.google.com/group/nairaland-game-development-team?lnk=gcimh

I am also downloading this Unity resource. http://www.heroturko.org/tutorials/other-tutorials/279969-vtc-introduction-to-game-development-using-unity-3d.html
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 10:11am On Feb 14, 2011
hello everyone, i am still working on a test character in blender as i couldnt find a suitable one. I just completed a 2D memory game in Unity. I've got lots of unity/blender learning aids that will help my mastering unity some of which i have shared here. I hope you are also learning too. Once we understand more of the basics we can do a 3d maze game. But, PHCN no dey gree atall. Lol

chairs!
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by davidriche: 4:24am On Feb 17, 2011
The above thought is smart and doesn’t require any further addition. It’s perfect thought from my side. I appreciate the concern which is been rose. The things need to be sorted out because it is about the individual but it can be with everyone. The initiative taken for the concern is very serious and need an attention of every one. This is the concern which exists in the society and needs to be eliminated from the society as soon as possible.There is nothing called a free lunch is this world. If anything needed to be resolved then initiated need a support to be sorted out.
===============================================
UK Ebooks
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 11:33am On Feb 18, 2011
Wao. So quiet. Well i've been working, mostly in blender. I made a test character but i did not save and lost it when blender crashed. But thanks to @Harmone, for introducing MakeHuman, i was able to create a character mesh, although i had to correct some deformation. I havent rigged or textured it yet(i am still learning how to do that). Once i have the model animated(walk, run, jumb, crouch) i will upload it for everyone to use as their test characters.

I also learnt that Unity3D supports Boo, a language that is similar to python. This means that python programmers(like myself) can work with the languages as it is much more powerful than Unity's javascript although not many use it.

Where is bigstar, kenbox, gameaddict, ojukwu and others?

OnCe i have this guy moving and clothed, i will attempt to make a game with just one mechanic(that is one main goal), like picking akara in a maze with sound. Maybe that way we may get more serious.

Cheers

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Maximip(m): 4:30pm On Feb 18, 2011
Too much emphasis on the graphics like it's Call of Duty. Not surprising only little to nothing

has been done. Only big Hi-Tech studios can do with ease a game with the

specs y'all trying to do.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 11:57pm On Feb 18, 2011
@Maxim

FYI: Nobody is trying to do anything close to COD, for the fact that too much emphasis is been made on graphics is simply because we are still learning stuffs. The specs we drew out is for the future, right now we are just focusin on learning the engine and doing small stuffs like GA did. Where u waiting to see us animate a cube in an empty world with only the grid and the 3D cursor around? If we are able to take shooting, running and jump outta cod and apply to our specs we can do a 5 level game that can be accepted. I wont waste my time if i did not think it was possible.

The thing about Nigerians that sucks is that we like to limit ourselves. Maybe till ghanians starts making COD like games thats when we will wake up. Look @ blender, not only the foundation writes the codes, numerous programmers worldwide do, they started feature by feature like we are trying to do.

---------------

Still rigging that guy. Cant wait to Start coding with him.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Nobody: 12:03am On Feb 19, 2011
Way too much vertices on that mesh. Do a poly reduce, or see FPS die.

Best done before animating it.

cheers,
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Nobody: 12:04am On Feb 19, 2011
Also, fingers may be needed, but toe digits are typically not needed. Box up the feet. smiley
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 6:41am On Feb 19, 2011
@2buff: Thanks, this is the kind of contribution i am talking about. The models poly stands at 15K, i know i still need to use a poly reducer but i plan to do that right after i get it animated just to see how it is. Although if i add animation and reduce the polys later, i know it will affect the animation.

I still have problems rigging it, the armatures keep deforming the head when i tab into pose mode.

I pray i get it corrected today.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Maximip(m): 5:56pm On Feb 20, 2011
worldbest:

@Maxim

FYI: Nobody is trying to do anything close to COD, for the fact that too much emphasis is been made on graphics is simply because we are still learning stuffs. The specs we drew out is for the future, right now we are just focusin on learning the engine and doing small stuffs like GA did. Where u waiting to see us animate a cube in an empty world with only the grid and the 3D cursor around? If we are able to take shooting, running and jump outta cod and apply to our specs we can do a 5 level game that can be accepted. I wont waste my time if i did not think it was possible.

The thing about Nigerians that sucks is that we like to limit ourselves. Maybe till ghanians starts making COD like games thats when we will wake up. Look @ blender, not only the foundation writes the codes, numerous programmers worldwide do, they started feature by feature like we are trying to do.

---------------

Still rigging that guy. Cant wait to Start coding with him.

@worldbest,

Im not saying you can't do it. What i'm saying is that you can't do a COD on your first attempt at a game. I know this is a very simple game but I think it's still too complex as a starting point (too much graphics and codes needed). In programming, we first write the "Hello World" before anything else even when you're already a pro and trying to learn another language (or tool). I believe it applies to other fields too (including graphics).

Another thing about Nigerians that suck is that we always want shortcuts. No country in Africa can attempt COD. Before we see a country make a game like COD, they'll have to be exceptional in a whole lot of thing, graphics such that they can make animations like shrek, have an excellent movie/special effect industry and Technology/IT industry.

I guess all the tools being used here are new to everyone following this thread. All I'm recommending is that you should start with a game you can finish in 1-2 weeks, even if it means moving a cube around a maze all in wire frame. I can assure you that if you do that and improve on that, you'll achieve COD faster smiley while keeping a lot of people interested and contributing.

I also believe you have other things doing and don't want to spend all your time on a game that'll make you no money. keep is simple smiley
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 6:50pm On Feb 20, 2011
@Maxim: OK we are friends again lol. Well said. It would be insane to attemp COD as first game when we are still newbies in Game development. What i personally hope to achieve is to have a Character(human) moving around the a terrain (although i have done this with a Cylinder), with this one Can test stuffs out.

I still think we need to learn these tools before attempting a game with storyline. You cant pickup a gun and aim accurately @ first try.

---

I still cant rig the mesh, if anyone can do it in blender pls let me know. I'l have to get a video tutorial to understand it.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 3:59pm On Feb 21, 2011
Ok, today, i actually made the mesh move his arm. So i am getting better with rigging, hopefully by the end of the week i would have an animated character for testing. Thereafter we'll put 2 weeks aside to make a small game. This ofcourse depends largely on PHNC.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by BigStar1(m): 9:23am On Feb 22, 2011
@Worldbest, Thanks fo remembering us. I just downloaded the book (torrent) and am working on it right now. Very soon u will see my works online.

"A journey that is difficult to complete is the one that is not yet started". We are almost there. Cheers!!!
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 12:45pm On Feb 22, 2011
@Bigstar

Good 2 hear that you are now reading the book. I stopped reading the book ever since i started focusing my attention to creating a test character and animating it. I hope to get back to reading once i am done. I am still rigging it though, but its not perfect. I have to warn you, while reading the book, you will come across examples that you will need some files/images to work with them, since you did not purchase the book and therefore dont have the books CD, you will have to create your own images/models.

The road seems rough and foreign, but we'l get there.

Cheers.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 6:34am On Feb 23, 2011
I could help but let you guys know about privoxy, lets you browse free on your computer. This will be good for those who take their laptops to cafes. All you need is a mtn modem or a phone modem. Just follow the steps here: http://www./Tutorials/Pc_Config_Browser_Config/all_about_privoxy.html

Enjoy!
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Kingsley62: 7:45am On Feb 24, 2011
Guyz its a secret, For y0ur c0mputer s0luti0n, paid iwp server's,, free br0wsing cheats,make free calls with mtn, kindly visit www.mobteams.tk hurry up b4 registrati0n cl0ses www.mobteams.tk
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by AJIBADEA(m): 3:56pm On Feb 24, 2011
AJIBADE QUADRY

NetBean Expert
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Eniga(m): 9:42am On Mar 10, 2011
Eniga
hyuugaeniga@googlemail.com
PHP/MYSQL (PRO)
JAVA (BASIC)
JQUERY/JAVASCRIPT (INTERMEDIATE)
PHOTOSHOP (INTERMEDIATE)
FLASH (INTERMEDIATE)
C# (INTERMEDIATE)
PERL/CGI (PRO)
NETWORK PROGRAMMING (INTERMEDIATE)
MICROSOFT SERVER 2008 ADMINISTRATION(PRO)
ORACLE ADMINISTRATION (INTERMEDIATE)
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Nobody: 11:54am On Mar 10, 2011

First post on NL. Still 16 years old. Birthday 25.03
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Tolutheo(m): 3:43pm On Mar 11, 2011
<name-redacted>
<email-redacted>
skills; java intermidiate
vb.net begginer
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Nobody: 7:01pm On Mar 11, 2011
smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (22) (Reply)

Vb.net Code To Display Image In Picturebox From Sql Server / Connecting To A Database Using Visual Basic / For Computer Science Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.