Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,122 members, 7,907,082 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 11:01 PM

Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card (4623 Views)

London Court Registers N99 Billion Judgment Against Nigerian Military / Buhari Registers For National Identity Card (photo) / Udom Emmanuel Kicks Off State Industrialisation With Auto Assembly Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by kobikwelu(m): 10:50pm On Jun 30, 2010
^^^^^^^^

you seriously think that this will stem wastage of funds in the civil service

why not try not overbloating contracts awarded for a start
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by buffox: 10:53pm On Jun 30, 2010
^^ The technology would stop it YES!

Are you asking him to change the nigerian system?

By the way, how do we know he is over-bloating contracts - stick to what you can back up!
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by kobikwelu(m): 11:02pm On Jun 30, 2010
^^ The technology would stop it YES!

Are you asking him to change the nigerian system?

By the way, how do we know he is over-bloating contracts - stick to what you can back up!

^^^^^^^^

seriously shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked, lets not go there
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by buffox: 11:06pm On Jun 30, 2010
it is a safe assumption to make, but I rather face what I can back up. You probably have closer ties to edo state and knows what happens there, thats why I choose to stick to what the article has delivered to me.
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by redsun(m): 11:11pm On Jun 30, 2010
What could be more essential than a detailed and accurate data base of a state to keep track of her inhabitants?from that record keeping,everything that happens in the state takes its root.
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by olafolarin(m): 2:48am On Jul 01, 2010
I sincerely don't see any reason why people should be pessimistic about this project.If well executed,it will eradicate ghost workers,increase IGR and above all there will be data on which developmental projects can be planned on.
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by edoboi: 7:50am On Jul 01, 2010
It's a shame that some ppl critices the introduction of biometric card for edo indigenes and resident by Adams oshiomhole , well it's not their fault cuz since they born, they have never been identified as a citizen of their state or country. Electronic I'd card can help the growth of a state or a country in many ways. Firstly, it's going to eradicate ghost workers from other neighbouring states, and job will be available for edo people who are in the database. Secondly, with smart I'd card, police can randomly check crime in the state without having to torture a suspect to confess, all they will do is take a finger print and forensic evidence to combat crime. Thirdly, planing for edo masses will be very easy to achieve infrastructurally, basic amenities and the rural communities will have sense of belonging with the government of the state.  Investors are known to do businesses in a state or country were the citizens are identified electronically . Welfare assistance from the government to the less privilege will be dealth with by this I'd card project. Transactions between edo ppl and outside world will be made easy electronically. The time our king omon oba put a curse on kidnappersand criminals in the state, many ppl cry foul and said all sort of derogatory words and flimsy comments and asked that we should sort this menace with 21st century weapon which is technology.  But now that biometric identity has come to stay with the traditional curse that was placed on criminals, edo state is heading to a crime free society.  Any haters or criminals that is uncomfortable with this revolution in edo state, better relocate or if you are caught without your I'd , u will be deported back to your state or rot in jail.  Comrade governor I thank u for this project cuz I know how the international community has been treating us because we are not properly identified. Instead we result in engaging in all kinds of oluwole paper to travel abroad and some are lucky to beat the immigration sysem and some are deported back to Nigeria. Those that succeeded will be looking for a way to marry a citizen of that country in order to be identified. Those shouting for power light electricity, should just wait and see cuz I believe oshiomhole will wait for Jonathan to fix electricity, but if Jonathan is too slow to act, then oshiomhole will then come out with edo state power project (ESpp) and the next thing we need is international airport, state police, edo state immigration, etc      Efe, hong kong
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by snowdrops(m): 11:45am On Jul 01, 2010
Another white elephant project. Read between the lines people, who was the contract awarded to? Is he a politician? An AC member? For how much and how much has already been paid?

Elections are next year; politicians are already gathering funds to prosecute this process and to win at all cost.
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by oisehumen(m): 11:59am On Jul 01, 2010
@Edoboi

You talk like someone on the payroll of Adams Oshiomhole.
Anyway, am not surprised at all. Free world and freestyle.
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by KokoBeware: 1:11pm On Jul 01, 2010
Another white elephant project. Read between the lines people, who was the contract awarded to? Is he a politician? An AC member? For how much and how much has already been paid?

I have read between the lines and i cant still find out who the contract was awarded to, could u ple tell us
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by snowdrops(m): 1:37pm On Jul 01, 2010
KokoBeware:

I have read between the lines and i cant still find out who the contract was awarded to, could u ple tell us
If you have an impaired sense of vision surely your olfactory glands should be functional. SMELL THE COFFEE.

Its the oldest trick in the book. Politicians at it again. All these talk of ID is bullocks. Thats no priority to the masses but it is the Oshiomole and his theiving AC as its an avenue to siphon money.
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by Pennywise(m): 1:50pm On Jul 01, 2010
This is a project that failed totally at the federal level with huge pay out to its architects. It is a justification for the collossal sums diverted already for other purposes so Oshiomole will have sth to tell EFCC when they come calling. On the face of it, it is another stupid policy of govt but beneath is a desperate attempt to even up the books before an election year.

Oshiomhole what a disgrace you are to labour. Scammer midget.
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by edoboi: 2:01pm On Jul 01, 2010
@ oisehumen
I am not on the pay roll of edo state government, and you shouldn't be on adams payroll before you can support what is good.  If i may ask, have you ever travelled outside nigeria before, if yes, then you already know what i'm talking about but if no, try to visit other countries and see for yourself, The reason why Nigeria is failing in all aspect is because of lack of biometric identity card system that can help to check crime, fraud  and plan for the masses. Have you seen a nomadic farmer who does not know the number of cattles in his cattle farm?  and yet they will tell you the population of nigeria is 150 million after scamming all citizens with national population census, going from one house to the other to count people instead of relying on the nigeria immigration service to look into their database and tell us how many people we have in nigeria through biometric identity card. It is the responsibility of immigration (government) in any country to know how many people that are citizens and resident in a country in order to fish out any alien that has entered the country legally or illegally.
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by edoboi: 2:08pm On Jul 01, 2010
enemy of progress, make una leave oshiomhole alone and make una wey be criminals and illegal immigrant beware of Edo state because you guys can no longer commit crime in edo state thats why you are shouting and crying foul, this project has come to stay with the good people of edo state whether u like it or not, we have proven that we are the heart beat of Nigeria thats why changes are stating from edo state.
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:13pm On Jul 01, 2010
Let me draw everyone back to a similar project embarked upon by Fashola [size=20pt]CCTV[/size] Soo, what is happening to the CCTV after soo much noise about reducing crime and having the police keep watch 24 hrs a day while people get robbed at barely 6PM in the evening.

Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what he has proposed, but how you start is not what matters but how you end. I still have my National ID card that is constantly rejected at Banks as a mode of identification. grin but hey maybe the 4th time is a charm grin
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by agitator: 3:44pm On Jul 01, 2010
edoboi:

enemy of progress, make una leave oshiomhole alone and make una wey be criminals and illegal immigrant beware of Edo state because you guys can no longer commit crime in edo state thats why you are shouting and crying foul, this project has come to stay with the good people of edo state whether u like it or not, we have proven that we are the heart beat of Nigeria thats why changes are stating from edo state.

don't know how this will stop crime. maybe you will have border posts where you will be checking everybody that comes into edo state.
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by Ehoi: 4:33pm On Jul 01, 2010
agitator:

don't know how this will stop crime. maybe you will have border posts where you will be checking everybody that comes into edo state.
I see it helping to solve crime in the future when the police is able to search database of fingerprint. The card will have the fingerprint of the holder I don't know if it also has the DNA profile. However if a state has the fingerprint of all its citizens, that is a crucial tool to fight crime if the police is up to the task. This database should be the foundation of state police. Instead of carrying weapons and trying to do exactly what the federal police is doing, states should focus on the intelligence aspect of policing. And the foundation of this is to have a database of the people.

Federal government ID card and state ID are not mutually exclusive. There are information not in the federal government ID that will be crucial for states. The state ID is more important because the state is more important to the citizens than the federal government. Everyone reside in the state level. If your state is not performing, the activities of the federal government will not help you. Nigerians have not benefited anything from the federal government in the last ten years considering the lion share of revenue it takes each year. We should stop depending on the federal government to provide a solution. The solution lies with the state and its activities directly influence the lives of the people. Nigeria will flourish when its component parts are strong and not when its center is strong. We need state ID, state police, state empowerment and more funding for the states.
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by kobikwelu(m): 10:13pm On Jul 01, 2010
Let me draw everyone back to a similar project embarked upon by Fashola CCTV Soo, what is happening to the CCTV after soo much noise about reducing crime and having the police keep watch 24 hrs a day while people get robbed at barely 6PM in the evening.

Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what he has proposed, but how you start is not what matters but how you end. I still have my National ID card that is constantly rejected at Banks as a mode of identification. but hey maybe the 4th time is a charm

@lager

God bless you sir!!!!!

tell them,

the national ID card is rejected by banks,

ITS NOT THE INITIAL GRA GRA,

all these projects these govs are commisioning would DIE A VERY VERY UNNATURAL DEATH WHEN ANOTHER GOV COMES INTO POWER.

all na choppings
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by MOBO444(f): 12:38am On Jul 02, 2010
I think the issue of ID card for Edo state is a good thing, do you know how many ghost workers we have in Edo state spread out through all the local government, with Biometric ID card and finger print analysis large scale fraud will be checked in most of this ministry in the state, and the issue of ghost workers will also be eradicated from the system,it could also be used to tackle crime and repeated offenders in the system, if Abuja had such an ID card system 20 years ago James Ibori would have been in jail now for those avestors and roofing sheet he stole in abuja.

The Edo state tax revenue board presently generate about 3 Billion naira monthly,it used to generate just N200,000,000 monthly and with the much needed funds from the cash saved from this ghost workers the state can now fix roads, health care, crime, education and purchase more transformer for PHCN to be able to do their duties in the state effectively.
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by Eziachi: 1:48am On Jul 02, 2010
lagerwhenindoubt:

Let me draw everyone back to a similar project embarked upon by Fashola [size=20pt]CCTV[/size] Soo, what is happening to the CCTV after soo much noise about reducing crime and having the police keep watch 24 hrs a day while people get robbed at barely 6PM in the evening.

Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what he has proposed, but how you start is not what matters but how you end. I still have my National ID card that is constantly rejected at Banks as a mode of identification. grin but hey maybe the 4th time is a charm grin
Good question!
But the possible reason, if the CCTV did not work was because what Oshiomole is trying to do now should have been done first by Fashola/police before the CCTV. No woman gives birth first before she becomes pregnant.

When a crime is captured on a CCTV, usually the police will watch it and then compare the clues or information they can gather from it with the information they have already in their data bank, then they can be looking at possible suspects.

Go to Cameroon, everybody born at least since 1958 till date has an ID (Authorized Birth certificate from birth). Anything you want to do in Cameroon, you are required to produce it and that include passport, driving license, opening bank account, voting, etc. That is why if you walk into their ministry of home affair this minute, they can tell you the most accurate population figure of their nation from region to region.
But in Nigeria, people this walk about like normadic animals with no sort of accurate identity, hence Ibori got away with a crime he committed and was sentence years before in Abuja when he claimed the person mentioned wasn’t him.
What Oshiomole is trying to do now would have sort it out within minute, if record keeping and data is something taken seriously in Nigeria.
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by Eziachi: 2:03am On Jul 02, 2010
My cousin was governor of a state between 1999-2007, and he once told me that a perm sec was once caught in a scam where he was receiving eight different salaries from different offices and ministries with different fictitious names for years.
He also said that there people who was retired, few months later, they forged papers got themselves another job with the aid of friends or relatives and start working again and continue to draw their pension too. Why? There is no record. Oshiomole’s pet project would have eliminated such a scenario.
Is not like, it is going to finish, it will be ongoing project forever, so the initial contract should be just to procure the IT technology and if they have brain, they will train the always idle civil servant on it. In addition, incorporate into a ministry of Science and Tech or even create a full-fledged ministry Data & Statistic for that purpose.
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by Iceugwa(m): 4:45pm On Jul 03, 2010
other states should learn from Edo State. for now they are the best state
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by Ehoi: 5:21pm On Jul 03, 2010
kobikwelu:

oga it called priority,

why not oshioms start a state power project?

Proper Independent power project (IPP) cost hands and legs but I reckon if Edo state can afford it, they will do it.
Edo state budget is just about N100 billion and a proper IPP will cost about that amount.
However, it seems private investors are impressed with the performance of Oshiomhole and are now willing to invest in an IPP. According to the link below, the chairman of Arik Air have concluded plans to establish an IPP in edo state worth N120 billion. They have also concluded arrangements to establish an Aviation Training Academy in Edo State equipped with Boeing and Airbus aircraft simulators worth N75 billion.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12356:company-plans-to-establish-800m-power-plant-in-edo&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18

Rockson Engineering is to establish an Independent Power Plant (IPP) in Ihonvhor village, near Benin,Edo State, at the cost of 800 million U.S. dollars (about N120 billion)
Ikhide Arumemi-Johnson, the company’s Managing Director, disclosed this in Benin on Friday when he paid a courtesy call on Gov. Adams Oshiomhole of Edo. Arumemi-Johnson said that the IPP, which would be executed in two phases, would be completed in between 24 and 30 months.

He pointed out that the first phase of the project, which would cost about 300 million dollars (about N45 billion), would generate about 500 megawatts of electricity. He further observed that the second phase, which would also generate 500 megawatts of electricity, would cost about 500 million dollars (about N75 billion).

The plant, when completed, would be the third largest IPP in the country,he noted, adding: ``Edo State will get the lion’s share of energy generated, while the rest would be added to the national grid.’’

Arumemi-Johnson, who is also the Chairman of Arik Air, said the airline had concluded arrangements to establish an Aviation Training Academy in Edo State. The academy, which would cost about 500 million dollars (N75 billion), would have Boeing and Airbus aircraft simulators.
He observed that about 150 million dollars (about N22.5 billion) would be spent on the academy’s buildings, while the remaining sum would be used for its equipment and facilities.

Arumemi-Johnson commended Governor Oshiomhole for his efforts at developing the state’s infrastructure. Responding, Oshiomhole assured that the Certificate of Occupancy for the site of the IPP project would be issued within seven days, while that of aviation academy would come out within one month.

The governor commended Arumemi-Johnson for his efforts to improve the people’s living standards through job creation
Re: Edo State Kicks Off State Id Project; Oshiomhole Registers and Receives ID Card by DisGuy: 5:34pm On Sep 11, 2010
E Don Ready abi them never finish?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can Jonathan Really Handle Things In Nigeria? / Reason Why Buhari Is Blocking DSS From Aso Rock / Oby Ezekwesili Happy That Her Name Is On The List (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.