Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,589 members, 7,905,264 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 09:14 AM

Police Arrest Whatsapp Group Members Over Fake News - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Arrest Whatsapp Group Members Over Fake News (20954 Views)

Emmanuel Odunlami Murdered By Robbers In UK Over ‘Fake’ £300k Watch / Police Arrest Prophet Benson Nosakhare Over Fake Prophecy (Photo) / MUTINY: Suspected Cultist Leader Killed By Gang Members Over Disagreement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Arrest Whatsapp Group Members Over Fake News by uuzba(m): 7:58am On Sep 11, 2018
8stargeneral:
I hate it with passion, I hv warned all my friends on my list to stop sending me such message.

My friends are people I can see and talk to physically (and slap if they forward nonsense to me on WhatsApp).

Those I cannot see are contacts. I just delete.
Re: Police Arrest Whatsapp Group Members Over Fake News by crunchyg: 7:59am On Sep 11, 2018
karllemah44:
lipsrsealed Good morning naiaralanders,I hope you all slept well?
I'm just disappointed with whoever moved this to FP, this kinda yeye news shouldn't start our day na
But WhatsApp people no dy try shaa, some will send nonsense msgs and say if u don't share it in 7 days you will die or meet misfortune, I just laugh at those who actually follow such useless instructions undecided undecided undecided
Who be dis abeg?
Re: Police Arrest Whatsapp Group Members Over Fake News by eazysally: 8:09am On Sep 11, 2018
My dear, no be small tin oo
lonelydora:

I think we are neighbours. I don block one woman too

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest Whatsapp Group Members Over Fake News by Corrinthians(m): 9:24am On Sep 11, 2018
Whenever I see "shared as received" I just know someone very daft has sent me a message.

2 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Whatsapp Group Members Over Fake News by etrange: 9:29am On Sep 11, 2018
JudasNaCarrot:

A lot of people don't verify before sharing....just post it, that's what they know.

A friend of mine can share anything Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu and Isreal deploying missiles to Nigeria if Biafra is not achieved.....and he can argue blindly about it to the last drop of his blood.

One day I told him to his face that he is a big fool for believing every trash someone somewhere in the comfort of his bedroom type and post to be true......I blocked him and that solved my headache with him.

Dear brother,

In my humble opinion, you and your friend probably just had a fallout over tribal issues and not cause of any sharing. I believe it would not have gotten to you both parting ways if he were sharing any other thing. I could be wrong but if it's so, it's really sad.

Good morning!
Re: Police Arrest Whatsapp Group Members Over Fake News by bluecircle470: 10:12am On Sep 11, 2018
PennywysCares:
Whatsapp group administrator

Sarrki I wanna offer you a job to manage my Choir whatsapp group
Salary 150k monthly cheesy cheesy

If you have beautiful choir girls let me know
Re: Police Arrest Whatsapp Group Members Over Fake News by vivaciousvivi(f): 10:24am On Sep 11, 2018
It looks like a minute issue but its actually a huge problem in countries such as India where sharing of such fake viral news is now a criminal offence.
Recently, CNN has carried true stories of how mob lynches have taken place in various towns and small villages due to fake viral news.

One of the most painful was the story of 3 men who travel to look for casual work whose pictures where taken as they alighted from a bus and sent via WhatsApp groups that claimed they had gang raped and murdered kids. The men were surrounded and beater to death only for the whataspp group to later claim the story was false after police waded in. It was heart- wrenching.
Re: Police Arrest Whatsapp Group Members Over Fake News by Gamesmart: 11:13am On Sep 11, 2018
Good.

We need more of this.
Re: Police Arrest Whatsapp Group Members Over Fake News by nairalee(m): 11:36am On Sep 11, 2018
for the life of me i dont know what people gain by spreading bcs. please who can help me?
Re: Police Arrest Whatsapp Group Members Over Fake News by morisnewrain(m): 12:17pm On Sep 11, 2018
iksmoore:
The Kano State Police command has arrested an administrator and members of a WhatsApp group for allegedly circulating fake news and an image of a married woman whom they claimed was trafficking in children in the city.
It was reported that the spokesperson of the Police in the state, Superintendent of Police Magaji Maaji said the suspects were arrested and paraded after the victim of the circulated image lodged a formal complaint to the police command. “We received a complaint from a married woman and a civil servant, Mrs Bushirat Madaki, that her picture is being shared on WhatsApp group with the intent to malign and incite the public against her. “Upon receiving the complaint, the commissioner of Police, CP Rabiu Yusuf ordered an immediate investigation by a special team who were able to trace and arrest three married suspects, a man and two women for circulating the fake and offensive information. “When confronted over the petition against them, the suspects admitted that the image and material on the woman were shared and forwarded in their group.

“They also admitted that they didn’t know the woman in person and have never had interaction with her before distributing the image and the story. They, therefore, sought forgiveness. “For now, the police command has granted the suspects bail because the offence is bailable while further investigation is ongoing. The police command is also currently providing security cover for the innocent woman for fear of mob attacks because her image and the false report on her have gone viral,” Magaji said.

http://www.currentgist.com.ng/2018/09/police-arrest-whatsapp-group-members.html?m=1
That is how they shared a woman spraying money in a birthday party in Amsterdam to be Ajimobi's daughter which I've watched the video 3-4 years back on YOUTUBE & still there till today and people believed it to be Ajimobi's daughter. People can share anything!
Re: Police Arrest Whatsapp Group Members Over Fake News by morisnewrain(m): 12:21pm On Sep 11, 2018
Bluezy13:
Hmmm...

Lesson for those who share news.
Me wey no get that kind time to waste.
people can share!
Re: Police Arrest Whatsapp Group Members Over Fake News by meobizy(f): 4:27pm On Sep 11, 2018
I thank God for this news. They should do this more often. I pray they add Facebook to the list because that's where I come across the fakest of unverified news stories and articles.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How A Nurse Swapped My Brother's Baby After Birth - Lady / The World Of Nigeria's Sex-Trafficking 'Air Lords'-BBC / EFCC Secures Conviction Of 8 Internet Fraudsters In Uyo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.