Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,560 members, 7,888,795 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 03:25 PM

What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? (28010 Views)

Do You Really Believe That Bible Stuff?? / Do Nigerians Really Believe That They Are Descendants Of Adam? / Do Pastors Really Believe In A "God" All Is It All An Act? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by alisigwe(m): 7:12pm On Jul 04, 2010
I've paying att closely to d way a lotta dudes we hang out with dis days approach dis life,and before u knw whats on they start wearing dreads,beards everywhere like sme weird ish.              All in d name of being rastafarians,thu they believe in the existense of God,but sme how they scare with this jah elijah stuff and where do dis dudes worship,what really do they believe in or are they jst sme confused fellas tryn to escape 4rm reality.
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jul 04, 2010
They follow the Great Ethiopian Emperor Haile Sellasie who was also called Ras Tafari.
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by skyndyp(f): 12:12pm On Jul 05, 2010
Below are some of the main foundational beliefs of Rastafarians;

•Rastafarians believe that God is a spirit and that this spirit was manifested in King H.I.M. Emperor Haile Selassie I.
•Rastafarians believe that Jesus was a direct descendant of King David and was black.
•Rastafarians believe that the Ethiopian Solomonic Dynasty is a direct representation of King David.
•Rastafarians believe that they are the original Lost Tribes of Israel that were once scattered by Babylon until the appearance of His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie I.
•Rastafarians believe that God will return them to Zion (Rastafarians refer to Ethiopia as Zion).
•Rastafarians believe that Ethiopia is the Promised Land and that it is Heaven on Earth.
•The White Man took them away from the Promised Land (Ethiopia/Zion) as slaves to Babylon and a Babylonian system. (Please note that some Rastafarians will say Pink people vs. White people)

Some of the rastas we find in Naija don't really know what to belief. They are fake

1 Like

Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by jayflex: 12:22pm On Jul 05, 2010
Rastafarians are spiritual followers of the late Emperor Haile Sellassie of Ethiopia who they believe was their messiah who came to liberate their minds from bondage of slavery.They based their faith on the teachings of marcus garvey and when the Ethiopians succeeded in driving out the italian army that invaded ethiopia in world war 2 (with US and british help) they saw it as a sign that he was the lion of judah.

But like the previous poster pointed out the ones in nigeria just use the cover to sell weed and launch musical careers
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by nellaluv(f): 12:27pm On Jul 05, 2010
Nigerian rastas are fake, all we know how to do is to copy even what we don't understand. But then again who knows it could be fashion tongue .
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jul 05, 2010
skyndyp:

Below are some of the main foundational beliefs of Rastafarians;

•Rastafarians believe that God is a spirit and that this spirit was manifested in King H.I.M. Emperor Haile Selassie I.
•Rastafarians believe that Jesus was a direct descendant of King David and was black.
•Rastafarians believe that the Ethiopian Solomonic Dynasty is a direct representation of King David.
•Rastafarians believe that they are the original Lost Tribes of Israel that were once scattered by Babylon until the appearance of His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie I.
•Rastafarians believe that God will return them to Zion (Rastafarians refer to Ethiopia as Zion).
•Rastafarians believe that Ethiopia is the Promised Land and that it is Heaven on Earth.
•The White Man took them away from the Promised Land (Ethiopia/Zion) as slaves to Babylon and a Babylonian system. (Please note that some Rastafarians will say Pink people vs. White people)

[size=14pt]Some of the rastas we find in Naija don't really know what to belief. They are fake[/size]
lwakmd @ the reded words grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by dolu2007(m): 12:45pm On Jul 05, 2010
There are two types of Rasta religious ceremonies: Reasoning and Groundation.

Reasoning
A "reasoning" is a simple event where the Rastas gather, smoke cannabis ("ganja"wink, and discuss ethical, social, and religious issues. The person honored by being allowed to light the herb says a short prayer beforehand, and the ganja is passed in a clockwise fashion except in time of war when it is passed counterclockwise.

Groundation
A "groundation" (or "grounation"wink or "binghi" is a holy day;[14] the name "binghi" is derived from "Nyabinghi", believed to be an ancient, and now extinct, order of militant blacks in eastern Africa that vowed to end oppression. Binghis are marked by much dancing, singing, feasting, and the smoking of ganja, and can last for several days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastafari_movement

Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by skyndyp(f): 1:05pm On Jul 05, 2010
odiaero:

lwakmd @ the[color=#000099] reded words[/color] grin grin grin grin grin

lwakmd @ the blueded word grin grin grin
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by adventisty: 1:37pm On Jul 05, 2010
It is extremely important to recognize the fact that Rastafari emerges out of the depressed social situation in which black people found themselves in the 1920s and 30s. It was during that period of the great depression that the world saw the rise of the greatest organizer of people the world, the late great Marcus Mosiah Garvey.

It is based on the writings of Marcus Garvey that inspires the emergence of Rastafari.

Haile Selassie’s title was Ras Tafari in addition to Lord of Lords, King of Kings and Conquering Lion of Judah all led to the belief that he was the reincarnation of god.
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by spicyhoney(f): 1:56pm On Jul 05, 2010
They believe in GANJA! lipsrsealed
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by madlady(f): 1:59pm On Jul 05, 2010
@Poster, Rastafarianism started in the 1930's in Jamaica undecided.

Rastasfarians believe God is a spirit, manifested in Emperor Haile Selassie lipsrsealed.

Rastasfarains believe Ethiopia is the promised land.

True Rastasfarains are Vegetarians.

True Rastasfarains are peaceful and would share their last dollar with the needy

Many who locks up are NOT Rastasfarains, they are what Jamaicans call "rasta impostors"
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jul 05, 2010
Rastafarians use too much weed/herbs.
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by VALIDATOR: 2:06pm On Jul 05, 2010
jayflex:

Rastafarians are spiritual followers of the late Emperor Haile Sellassie of Ethiopia who they believe was their messiah who came to liberate their minds from bondage of slavery.They based their faith on the teachings of marcus garvey and when the Ethiopians succeeded in driving out the italian army that invaded ethiopia in world war 2 (with US and british help) they saw it as a sign that he was the lion of judah.

But like the previous poster pointed out the ones in nigeria just use the cover to sell weed and launch musical careers
grin
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by CarlosVent(m): 2:53pm On Jul 05, 2010
dey believe in jehovah for every one
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by evalasthn: 2:55pm On Jul 05, 2010
I see some folks here ovastand (understand) what RASTARAI is, big up to madlady. To sum it up, RASTARAI is not a religion but a way of life that is pure, simple, full of love and respect, peace and Inity (unity). Most Nija people that pose as Rasta are really fake but real ones are around still. In west Africa, I think Ghana is where you'll find most real Rastas ( their National color is the RASTAFARI color ). Rastafari is not about Dreadlock and Ganja (not all rastas are on dread and ganja, and not all dread ganja smokers are rastas).
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by Builder: 3:02pm On Jul 05, 2010
Rastafarians believe in anything, just give them weed, guitar and a pillow, they will even believe ganja causes global warming
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by madlady(f): 3:20pm On Jul 05, 2010
evalasthn:

I see some folks here ovastand (understand) what RASTARAI is, big up to madlady. To sum it up, RASTARAI is not a religion but a way of life that is pure, simple, full of love and respect, peace and Inity (unity). Most Nija people that pose as Rasta are really fake but real ones are around still. In west Africa, I think Ghana is where you'll find most real Rastas ( their National color is the RASTAFARI color ). Rastafari is not about Dreadlock and Ganja (not all rastas are on dread and ganja, and not all dread ganja smokers are rastas).

@evalasthn,  wink,I really had know idea their were/are any form of Rastafarians in Nigeria, this site and some of the peeps here are a revelation to me.Wonderful.

PS what are the colours you speak of ? are they not the national colours of Jamaica (the birth place of RASTAFARIANISM).
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 3:21pm On Jul 05, 2010
[size=13pt]They believe in one Ethiopian guy who have made up a difference during his time. . .  can't remember his name for now but iw try and ask my Rasta  friend '' apha blondy ' who happened to be a strong reggae-maniac ! smiley [/size]
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by http(m): 4:16pm On Jul 05, 2010
ya man, Rastaman no fear any polize brutality, me no fear man na.
ya Jah me feel it lipsrsealed
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 4:24pm On Jul 05, 2010
[size=13pt]What a gwan! shocked shocked

Na which police man one oppress you and collect your acoustic guitar when you just newly buy. . . . abeg , MI give em no chance ooh . grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
[/size]wink

http:

ya man, Rastaman no fear any polize brutality, me no fear man na.
ya Jah me feel it lipsrsealed
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by evalasthn: 4:33pm On Jul 05, 2010
@ madlady, attached are Rasta and Ghana flags, very identical. Yes there are real Rastas in Nigeria but them are very few. even some few Jamaican Bobo Ashanti's live here. Seems you like Rastas or you enjoy reggae music. Bless up

Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by oluagness(m): 4:41pm On Jul 05, 2010
A religious cult based on a belief that Ras Tafari (Haile Selassie) is the Messiah and that Africa (especially Ethiopia) is the Promised Land
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by Bawss1(m): 5:05pm On Jul 05, 2010
Off topic but have you guys heard of Pastafarians and the church of the flying spaghetti monster? cheesy
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by mjbaba: 6:18pm On Jul 05, 2010
skyndyp:

lwakmd @ the blueded word grin grin grin

LWKMD @ the greended reply grin grin grin
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by madlady(f): 7:17pm On Jul 05, 2010
"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNr2Ir_7r88&hl=en_GB&fs=1"

evalasthn:

@ madlady, attached are Rasta and Ghana flags, very identical. Yes there are real Rastas in Nigeria but them are very few. even some few Jamaican Bobo Ashanti's live here. Seems you like Rastas or you enjoy reggae music. Bless up

Bless up @evalasthn, I'm a Jamaican Jew but I RESPECT true Rastas to the max. Cool runnings wink

1 Like

Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by cleaverman: 7:55pm On Jul 05, 2010
It,s joblessness that is making them to form Rastafarians.
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by Liedetect: 10:13pm On Jul 05, 2010
The Rastafarian flag has nothing to do with Ghana its all about Ethiopia.  In fact it would appear Ghana copy the Ethiopian flag.

The colours of African unity – red, green, yellow – are seen on one of the oldest African flags.

These colours were used for the national flag of Ethiopia in 1897; a year after Ethiopia determinedly defended itself from colonial Italy at the Battle of Adwa.

The flag’s tri-colour scheme was there since the early 19th c. and was formerly the official banner of the Ethiopian Empire’s Solomonic dynasty.

http://ethiopiaeritrea.com/the-color-and-meaning-of-ethiopian-flag/

1 Like

Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by Liedetect: 10:37pm On Jul 05, 2010
[img]http:///www.jah.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/rastafarian_flag.jpg[/img] The colors red, gold, and green are closely association with the Rastafarian Movement. They come from the old Ethiopian flag used during the reign of Haile Selassie. The colors symbolize Rastas loyalty to Selassie, Ethiopia, and Africa, and they are frequently seen on clothing, hats, and other decorations in Jamaica.

Each color of the flag stands for something rastas believe in. Red stands for the blood that bleeds to the Earth, replenishes the land, and helps to grow ganja. Green stands for the vegetation of Africa. And gold stands for the prosperity Africa offered before the extraction of diamonds and gold during slavery. It also represents the sun, which gives life to all. In addition to the colors of the flag, black is also significant to rastas. The colors of the Ethiopian flag, along with black, make up the colors of “Pan-African Unity” for Marcus Garvey, a man who is considered a prophet and a leader in the movement.

http://www.jah.com/lion-of-judah/
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by freshera: 11:58pm On Jul 05, 2010
Bawss1:

Off topic but have you guys heard of Pastafarians and the church of the flying spaghetti monster? cheesy

LWKMD grin grin grin
Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by bawomolo(m): 12:36am On Jul 06, 2010
jamaican jew ke?

na which kin thing be that grin. me sef i be osogbo jew grin

1 Like

Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by Rastamann: 1:22am On Jul 06, 2010
Jah Rastafari!

1 Like

Re: What Do Rastafarians Really Believe In? by evalasthn: 12:11pm On Jul 06, 2010
@ MADLADY GIVE THANKS SISTREN. ONE LOVE AND RESPECT TO YOU. AM COOL WITH JEW AND I LISTEN
TO MATISYAHU TUNES THEM WELL. HE'S A PURE TALENT, RUN JEW THING WELL.

@cleaverman, MAN UR VERY WRONG. I KNOW A RASTA THAT USED TO WORK WITH ZAIN MOBIL NIGERIA, THOUGH
HE LEFT FOR ANOTHER I.T COMPANY IN USA. I HAVE A RASTA FRIEND THAT RUNS HIS BIZ AND HE'S DOING
VERY WELL. I KNOW OF ANOTHER ONE THAT WORKS IN AN OIL COMPANY ( HE'S NO DREAD AND DONT SMOKE ANYTHING)
IN EVERY ASPECT OF LIFE, THERE ARE REAL AND FAKE PEOPLE.

@Liedetect, I WAS TALKING ABOUT WEST AFRICA AND GHANA'S GOT THE VIBRATION MORE THAN ANY OTHER
COUNTRY (WEST AFRICA). I WASNT TALKING ABOUT ETHIOPIA OR AFRICA AS A WHOLE. READ MY MSG WELL.
GOOD POSTS FROM YOU THOUGH.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Letter Of Covenant Written By Prophet Mohammed(pbuh) To All Christians / The Lover Boy Who Fell In Love With The Wrong Lover / Prophet T.B. Joshua: "Pray Against Interruption Of Democracy In Nigeria"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.