Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,592 members, 7,944,776 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 02:00 AM

Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 (5849 Views)

Photo: Fayose Takes Full Page Advert To Slam Buhari’s 6-month Rule / Buhari, Fashola, Amaechi & Ambode At Organised Private Sector Meeting In Lagos / Private Sector Takes Over Power Sector, As PHCN Ceases To Exist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by otondo55: 4:49pm On Jul 06, 2010
I so much believe he can do it.

Lets give him a benefit of doubt

and be positive about this.

Go GBJ, you can take us to the promise land !
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by obimind(m): 4:57pm On Jul 06, 2010
I hope they won't fail us at the end of the day?
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by JUO(m): 5:04pm On Jul 06, 2010
how much will be charged?
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by CarlosVent(m): 5:14pm On Jul 06, 2010
WEL IT WILL BE GOOD FOR US ABEG.
MAKE WE DEY GET LIGHT ALWAYS
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by hercules07: 5:23pm On Jul 06, 2010
I am against the manner the privatisation is going to be done, I have always been against giving full control to the private sector, now I am even more against it seeing how the plan is evolving. The government should sell everything (assets and liabilities) if they want to privatise. I am sure there are over 40 Million households and companies that will need the power from these power companies, why is Nigeria absorbing the liabilities when we are giving them over 40 Million ready made clients. How much will the private guys charge per KWH giving that Government is about to jack the prices up NOW? Where will the government get the #200 Billion Naira from, what are they going to privatise next; air? Why cant the government be efficient in at least the basic areas of our lives.
In a country where the minimum wage is #7,500 how much will those stuck at the minimum wage pay for electricity?
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Kobojunkie: 5:25pm On Jul 06, 2010
We will probably wait till the average home gets hit with a $100/Naira 15000 a month bill in Nigeria, before we start discussing costs and caps on charge. grin
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by deor03(m): 5:29pm On Jul 06, 2010
Electricity in the private sector will be charged per use. Just like Telephone use is now!.

So people will find their appropriate level in terms of power consumption
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Tmoni(m): 5:41pm On Jul 06, 2010
@Hercules07

Lemme give you 2 senarios here

1. Things maintain status quo i.e NEPA plays with electricity as often as there are, you have to queue for (Fuel or Diesel) regularly, you also have to "sort" at the pump station and most often do not buy at the advertised rate, you store a highly inflamable liquids at home, your neighbour has the noisest generator on your street, you cannot effectively make plans without a second recourse to a generator

2. Most likely you pay a high tariff for constant electricity, no queues, theres a card which you top up for your power supply, when u travel to village for easter, almost be rest assured of low risk of electrical fire

I knw what me and 149,999,999 Nigerians will prefer (its up to u to make that number 150m)
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Iceugwa(m): 6:00pm On Jul 06, 2010
Will the full privatisation provide better electricity to us. Cause the first was a failure
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by xterra2(m): 6:43pm On Jul 06, 2010
paddy_lo:

[b]@xterra2

There is corruption in every country of the world. .
Have u actually looked at the so-called opposition politicians and states they run and how much worse they are compared to PDP?

The way to change Nigeria is to remove such corrupt things as power,NNPC and so on from GOVT control

Have u bothered to ask yourself why this has not been done for 50yrs?

Its because those ministries are so-called powerful ministries. . what does that actually mean?
It means every yr billions of Naira are budgeted in those ministries
but they can dissappear,because there is no incentive to make power plants or refineries work. . .

When last did u see any huge amount of money allocated to ministry of information and communication?
well that is because the private telecomms companies have made it redundant to do so. . .

Have u forgotten MKO and the military in ITT(International thief thief)
well thank God those things are past us now. . .

That is why anyone that willingly gives up such patronage is to be commended
It reduces corruption and inefficiency and basically lifts another critical sector of the Nigerian economy from underneath the Suffocating weight of GOVT

PS u should want Goodluck Jonathan to win the election next yr. . because there is nothing worse for a developing/emerging economy
than a stop-start application of critical reforms
New GOVTS take time to settle down. . .thats why even in countries like brazil,Japan,Russia,Indonesia.India and so on there is always angst during elections
and markets normally rally if the incumbent reformer is re-elected[/b]

Ps i should want jonathan to win next year?god forbid not even in my grave, notin worse for an emerging economy than a start.stop critical reform ??Well bout that Jonathan doesnt have any guide to critical reforms even yaradua had 7 point agenda this jonathan has nothing we just wait for media outlets to tell us this and that and infact he stopped the so called reforms first by stopping river niger dredging which was planned for over 40 years yaradua had the courage to do it only for this idi.ot called jonathan to stop it which would help the states that the dredging passes through REMARKABLY, and am not sure jonathan is supporting PIB and deregulation which if he wanted critical reform he would do so ,
Now yes opposition parties are bad but to remove control from government = privatisation= higher costs you dont have to be an economist to know that private people do business cus of profit and when we are poor na wahala woo,
And to all countries are corrupt?New Zealand,vatican are ?i doubt that instead start cleansing our people from corruption starting with the patience beside you and if billions infact trillions no zillions are allocted to NNPC,power if they wont use it to help us then they would leave the money untouched as done like in 2007 and 2008 where unspent money would be return to the federations account and another government after jonathan sensible one i mean woul use the money judiously,
Jonathan must go bak to bayelsa come may 29 2011 as former president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria whether he,me,beaf,you likes it or not
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by hercules07: 6:56pm On Jul 06, 2010
Tmoni:

@Hercules07

Lemme give you 2 senarios here

1. Things maintain status quo i.e NEPA plays with electricity as often as there are, you have to queue for (Fuel or Diesel) regularly, you also have to "sort" at the pump station and most often do not buy at the advertised rate, you store a highly inflamable liquids at home, your neighbour has the noisest generator on your street, you cannot effectively make plans without a second recourse to a generator

2. Most likely you pay a high tariff for constant electricity, no queues, theres a card which you top up for your power supply, when u travel to village for easter, almost be rest assured of low risk of electrical fire

I knw what me and 149,999,999 Nigerians will prefer (its up to u to make that number 150m)

I do not want us to maintain status quo, I am more interested in Government being more efficient, if we have a strong president who can reform these utilities, NEPA can perform, the default route of outsourcing everything to private sector is sickening.
At present, I pay about 3K a month for power, now that is minimal power, say about 4 hours per day, now with the private sector, I will be paying about 15 to 20K for about 8 hours per day, given that I produce my own water, pay for my children's school fees and sundry other things, 20K from my pocket is damn too much, imagine those that are on 7.5K per month and have a bill of 5K to pay monthly, how will they survive. I am all for getting electricity but at an affordable rate, the job of the Government is to do what is right by the citizens, selling assets and not liabilities is nonsensical in an industry like power ( ready made customers) and with a government that has no idea of regulation.
The special adviser to Jonathan on power has an interest in the sector being privatized, he is more interested with his private enterprise.
I have used the card thing before and my brother it is more expensive to use, the reason people feel it is cheaper is because we do not have constant electricity, when you have constant power and you use appliances, that thing reads like hell.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by OAM4J: 6:59pm On Jul 06, 2010
It's about time! I just hope it's not another election winning gimmick like 'Power emergency' of 2007.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by paddylo1(m): 7:23pm On Jul 06, 2010
I do not want us to maintain status quo, I am more interested in Government being more efficient, if we have a strong president who can reform these utilities, NEPA can perform, the default route of outsourcing everything to private sector is sickening.
At present, I pay about 3K a month for power, now that is minimal power, say about 4 hours per day, now with the private sector, I will be paying about 15 to 20K for about 8 hours per day,
[b]
Where do u get your figures from?. . . . .If u pay 3k a month for 4hrs
That means u should be paying 18k for 24hr assuming it is available. . .

Now if u cant afford it,then reduce your consumption. . Thats how its supposed to be. . cut down your lights
Buy energy efficient bulbs and so on

Ps. there is nothing like an efficient GOVT anywhere on earth,I dont know what has to be done before u Nigerians understand this simple fact
Also There is not enough money in Nigeria for the needed expenditure
U have not told us where the GOVT will get the money or where it will come from?

Here are the facts in case u dont know. . it costs an average of $1m to generate 1MW of power worldwide
We need 40,000MW in Nigeria at least by 2020. .

That is equal to $40billion on generation alone
You probably need about $25billion to improve transmission infrastructure nationwide(with smart grids/smart meters and so on)
and then u need funds for maintenance/manpower and so on. . so thats $65 - $70billion

Since u refuse to pay a market price for the power u consume
u can be rest assured that no bank on earth will loan the FG/NEPA any money. . whether the president is a strong man or not

Meanwhile u are so selfish u cannot see that more power will mean more industries will mushroom in Nigeria
leading to an increase in jobs and Purchasing power of the average Nigerian

I hope the likes of u are the minority in Nigeria,because in 2010 there is no way anybody should be happy to be receiving 4hrs of power a day like its normal[/b]
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by paddylo1(m): 7:29pm On Jul 06, 2010
[b]@XTERRA2

U sound like an ethnic Jingoist. . we are talking real reforms here,and u are telling me about some stupid River Niger dredging that doesnt do anything but waste money

The problem with u Nigerians is u always want GOVT to do things for u. .
when everyone knows that same GOVT is mostly incompetent

The RIVER Niger Dredging by Yaradua was just a job for the boys
a lot of the companys awarded the contract to were not even competent

After the dredging is done what happens next yr?

or dont u know dredging is a yearly/continuos event?
If there is no private sector need for dredging that river,then am afraid its all a white elephant project
Ships will berth at Lagos,lekki ports,onne,PH,Warri or calabar ports

why would they travel another 2000km inland?
Tell your Northern Governors to stop stealing the money given to them

They should encourage their citizens to go to school,give the kids free lunch
discourage riots so that industries can come set up up North
and the economy up their will boom

Not some stupid dredging that is laughable. .
PS Jonathan did not cancel the said dredging but nothing like facts to get in the way of your misplaced rants[/b]
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jul 06, 2010
Increase the minimum wage first of all.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by babaowo: 8:33pm On Jul 06, 2010
i pray the dream come true
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by mrkoma2012: 8:52pm On Jul 06, 2010
As election nears these politicians formulate policies not to execute them to the letter, Lets c where this will end
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Rmc1(m): 9:04pm On Jul 06, 2010
This is long over due . If after 50 years of darkness from federal govt controlled NEPA, then it is only right to try the other alternative which is privatisation. Thank God we have a listerning president, If this works with nepa, jonathan  should please consider the water sector also.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by JomoGbomo2(m): 9:16pm On Jul 06, 2010
This is a nice move from Johnny and his team, but we have heard things similar to this from his predeseccors and that i why we are all skeptic about this move.
the truth is that the move is a right one as long as it is done properly and sincerely but we are only left to be hopeful cos there is a possibilty that its just another way to con us into beleiving in his administration. A politician will always be a politician,
Its pathetic that our govt is not functioning but we still got to move ahead with other options. Lets all just be hopeful that it works.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by ikeyman00(m): 9:46pm On Jul 06, 2010
@@@

only god knows the reason obj em failed!!

i think we know why lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

embezzlement lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

one of them sad
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by SkyBlue1: 10:04pm On Jul 06, 2010
babaearly:

Increase the minimum wage first of all.

Imagine. So everybody (including industries and the rest of the private sector) should forget about ever having the option to pay for stable 24hour power supply till the minimum wage is increased? Nigeria already has a ridiculously overbloated and extra large public civil service when compared with its economic wealth. The private sector should be allowed to grow unhindered and at all cost to be able to start absorbing some of sea of the abundance of graduates who are currently unemployed and have nothing to do. The private secotr needs power to grow, so do industries. Just give people the option to pay more for stable power. As long as its a free market and multiple distribution companies (under some regulation from the government) can set up, market forces should drive the prices down to somewhat affordable levels. But the growth of the private secotr should not be hindered. If government workers are not happy with their salaries they can switch.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by chelseabmw(m): 10:07pm On Jul 06, 2010
angry
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Africanson: 10:10pm On Jul 06, 2010
This is not the first time the Nigerian government have promised it's citizens to do something on electricity. I strongly believe you people knows what our problem is but corruption wouldn't just allow you to take necessary action.

Now before you start awarding those big contracts make sure you know before hand that you are awarding contracts to existing companies. We would not want to hear again how those contracts were being awarded to some non-existing companies. There's no need for anybody to believe anything out of this story until it happens. It's not the first time such have been promised to Nigerians.
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Wallie(m): 10:10pm On Jul 06, 2010
This is good news; although, I’m worried that it will happen after elections especially in a country like Nigeria where new administrations never continue policies of the prior administration.

My guess is that foreign companies will be non-committal until the new administration comes in and signifies that the prior power policy will be continued. Can you imagine a company sinking 100s of millions only to realize that the new government wants no part of the privatization?
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by paddylo1(m): 10:35pm On Jul 06, 2010
Imagine. So everybody (including industries and the rest of the private sector) should forget about ever having the option to pay for stable 24hour power supply till the minimum wage is increased? Nigeria already has a ridiculously overbloated and extra large public civil service when compared with its economic wealth.

Well said. .Recurrent expenditure(Salaries) as a percentage of GOVT budget(2010) is already at close to 60%

This is all unproductive expenditure,basically throwing money down the drain
as there is no investment in infrastructure with that money

and now u guys want GOVT to increase the burden. . .
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by AjanleKoko: 10:36pm On Jul 06, 2010
Wallie:

This is good news; although, I’m worried that it will happen after elections especially in a country like Nigeria where new administrations never continue policies of the prior administration.

My guess is that foreign companies will be non-committal until the new administration comes in and signifies that the prior power policy will be continued. Can you imagine a company sinking 100s of millions only to realize that the new government wants no part of the privatization?

@Wallie, I think it's all in our hands.
If GEJ publishes his blueprint for power sector reform, and we know power is hot on the agenda, then we form political blocs and pressure groups, lobby Nigerians, to get behind a GEJ candidacy. That I believe is how it's done everywhere else.

Rather people choose to stand aside and feign skepticism. When we do that, I have to say we're not ready for reform yet, and deserve whatever we get from the politicians and militricians undecided
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Kobojunkie: 10:45pm On Jul 06, 2010
AjanleKoko:

@Wallie, I think it's all in our hands.
If GEJ publishes his blueprint for power sector reform, and we know power is hot on the agenda, then we form political blocs and pressure groups, lobby Nigerians, to get behind a GEJ candidacy. That I believe is how it's done everywhere else.

Wait a second . .  Isn't it government's job to do what it says it will? Why do we need to get behind a GEJ candidacy for this to happen by June 2011? Where else does this happen as you claim?
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by paddylo1(m): 10:52pm On Jul 06, 2010
Wait a second . . Isn't it government's job to do what it says it will? Why do we need to get behind a GEJ candidacy for this to happen by June 2011? Where else does this happen as you claim?

Because a new administration might come in and slow down the necessary reforms for Political reasons and we are back to square one

With GEJ in power for 4 more yrs,he can accelerate the reforms he started and when he leaves in 2015 most of the reforms will be in place and almost irreversible

But u can vote for whomever u want. . .
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by paddylo1(m): 10:57pm On Jul 06, 2010
One other thing,the Nigerian Legislature(National assembly),is notoriously slow when it comes to passing legislation

One example is the Asset Management Company(AMCON),That was supposed to come on stream last december
but only got passed last week or so. . .

Some component of this new power reforms will definately need legal backing
and u can trust the NASS to drag their feet as much as possible

so everything does not rest with Jonathan. . the lawmakers also have a role to play
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jul 06, 2010
^^^^

this is a variant of obj's third term argument

what you are really saying is that pdp, johnathan's party, is a party of discontinuity

even more frightening is that what you are positing is the same sort of argument the mugabes arapmoi and other presidents for life use

i must be in power for x more years to see my reforms through

never mind that johnathan does not have a history of doing/achieving anything
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by Kobojunkie: 10:59pm On Jul 06, 2010
Oh boy!! I see we are not really as serious about this as I initially thought !!! LOL

oyb:

^^^^

see me see wahala for this one ooo? ROFLMAO!!
Re: Private Sector Takes Full Control Of Electricity June 2011 by paddylo1(m): 11:04pm On Jul 06, 2010
^^^^

what you are really saying is that pdp, johnathan's party, is a party of discontinuity

even more frightening is that what you are positing is the same sort of argument the mugabes arapmoi and other presidents for life use

i must be in power for x more years to see my reforms through

never mind that johnathan does not have a history of doing/achieving anything

How is it a variant of OBJs 3rd term for someone who has not even spent a full term in office?. .

Also is there not a possibility that another party can win,why must it be PDP?

For example lets say ANPP with their Northern bent wins the election,u can be rest assured this whole privatisation process will be scrapped

because it will be alledged that it doesnt favor the North. . . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

We Informed The Government Of Threat – UN / Don’t Take Tinubu Too Serious, Ex-pre. Olusegun Obasanjo To President Buhari / PDP Drags Masari To Supreme Court. See What Happened Next

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.