Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,511 members, 7,904,995 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 11:46 PM

AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (7225 Views)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS by AGARIautos: 6:35am On Jul 17, 2010
Q: CAN OVERFILLING GAS TANK CAUSE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TO COME ON?

A: YES, OVERFILLING THE GAS TANK CAN TRIGGER THE "CHECK ENGINE" LIGHT TO COME ON. MODERN CARS ARE EQUIPPED WITH AN EVAPORATIVE SYSTEM THAT PREVENTS GASOLINE VAPOURS FROM ESCAPING INTO THE ATMOSPHERE. WHEN YOU OVERFILL THE GAS TANK, THE EXCESS GASOLINE CAN ENTER THE PART OF THE EVAPORATIVE SYSTEM CALLED CHARCOAL CANISTER, WHICH IS DESIGNED TO ABSORB GASOLINE VAPOURS RATHER THAN RAW FUEL. THIS CAN CAUSE SOME PROBLEMS WITH THE EVAPORATIVE SYSTEM THAT CAN TRIGGER THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. DON'T OVERFILL THE TANK PAST THE FIRST CLICK OF THE PUMP.
Re: AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS by AGARIautos: 10:27am On Jul 24, 2010
CAR NO-START TROUBLESHOOTING

WHAT IS NEEDED FOR AN ENGINE TO START

FIRST, LET'S SEE WHAT IT NORMALLY TAKES TO START A GASOLINE CAR ENGINE:

1. THE ENGINE MUST BE TURNED OVER BY THE STARTER MOTOR WITH ENOUGH SPEED TO CATCH. FOR THIS TO HAPPEN, THE BATTERY MUST HAVE ENOUGH CHARGE, THE STARTER MOTOR AND THE STARTER CIRCUIT SHOULD BE OK.

2. FUEL MIXED WITH AIR IN THE CORRECT PROPORTION MUST BE SUPPLIED TO THE ENGINE CYLINDERS;

3. SPARK - THERE MUST BE A STRONG SPARK AT THE PROPER MOMENT TO FIRE THE AIR/FUEL MIXTURE.

4. PROPER TIMING - THE ENGINE VALVES SHOULD OPEN AND CLOSE IN APPROPRIATE TIME.

5. COMPRESSION - NORMAL COMPRESSION IN THE CYLINDERS IS 120 - 170 PSI. THE ENGINE WON'T START IF THE COMPRESSION IS LOWER THAN 70 - 80 PSI.

IF THE ENGINE WON'T START - THERE'S NO MAGIC - ONE OF THESE THINGS IS PROBABLY MISSING. SOMETIMES THE PROBLEM COULD BE VERY HARD TO FIND. OFTEN, THOUGH, IT COULD BE SOMETHING VERY SIMPLE, LIKE A DEAD BATTERY. IF THE CAR WON'T START, CHECK THE BASIC THINGS FIRST:

IS THE BATTERY OK? DO YOU HAVE OIL IN THE ENGINE? IS THERE ENOUGH FUEL IN THE TANK? - IT'S A VERY COMMON SITUATION WHEN THE FUEL GAUGE ISN'T WORKING PROPERLY AND THE CAR RUNS OUT OF FUEL WITH THE FUEL GAUGE STILL SHOWING SOME FUEL IN THE TANK.
Re: AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS by AGARIautos: 10:34am On Jul 24, 2010
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU ARE TRYING TO START THE ENGINE?

BELOW ARE FEW QUESTIONS THAT MAY GIVE YOU AN IDEA WHY A CAR DOESN'T START . WHEN YOU BRING YOUR CAR TO A GARAGE WITH A NO-START PROBLEM, A MECHANIC SHOULD ASK YOU THESE QUESTIONS; THIS MAY HELP HIM (HER) TO FIND THE PROBLEM QUICKER.

- CAN YOU TURN THE KEY IN THE IGNITION?

- DOES THE "SECURITY" OR KEY-SHAPED LIGHT FLASHES ON THE DASHBOARD WHEN YOU TURN THE IGNITION ON?

- WHEN YOU SWITCH THE IGNITION ON BEFORE STARTING THE CAR, DOES THE "CHECK ENGINE" LIGHT COME ON?

WHAT BETTER DESCRIBES YOUR SITUATION WHEN YOU TURN THE IGNITION KEY TO "START" POSITION:

- NOTHING HAPPENS, THE STARTER WON'T CRANK.

- THERE IS A CLICK BUT THE STARTER WON'T CRANK.

- THE STARTER CRANKS VERY SLOWLY.

- THE STARTER CRANKS NORMALLY, BUT THE ENGINE DOESN'T START.

BEFORE YOUR ENGINE DIED, DID YOU EXPERIENCE ANY PRIOR EVENTS SUCH AS:

- LEAVING THE LIGHTS ON OVERNIGHT?

- DRIVING THROUGH A DEEP PUDDLE, OR WASHING THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT?

- HAVING ONLY A LITTLE FUEL IN A TANK?

- HAVING HAD THE ENGINE REPAIRED RECENTLY?

- EXTREMELY LOW OIL PRESSURE?

- UNUSUAL NOISES SUCH AS KNOCKING, PINGING, WHISTLING?

- SMOKING FROM EXHAUST PIPE?
Re: AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS by autodoctor: 8:19pm On Aug 23, 2012
Ever wondered what all the warning lights displayed on your car dashboard means (I.e Check Engine, Service Engine Soon, Maintenance required etc). Have you been experiencing a high consumption of petrol by your car? Has your car's performance been on the decline? Have you had all sorts of trial and error technicians compounding your car problems rather that providing lasting solutions? Are you fed up?
DON'T BE.

Just click on the link below for free technical advice and free diagnosis and engine scan. This offer is free to all Nairalanders and only for cars in Abuja.

https://www.nairaland.com/1002588/free-powertrain-scan-cars-abuja#11596927
Re: AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS by allemark: 8:04am On Dec 03, 2012
How do I learn more about auto repair shop online marketing? I don't personally use social networking but I see I'm going to have to become more computer savvy.
Re: AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS by atikubaba(m): 7:29am On Feb 17, 2013
Thanks.this very helpful
Re: AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS by tunergy(m): 12:04am On Aug 12, 2015
Will read up
Re: AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS by faai(m): 12:24pm On Dec 11, 2016
Hello. I have 2004 Isuzu Axiom. Everything is working perfectly but it took time to select while climbing up. Pls I want d transmission gear check & service by qualified autor mechanic. Presently in Akure & don't know any, can u pls help or connect me with one? Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

2019 Prophesies On Cartalk Gazzuzz. / The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts / What Is The Extent Of Repair That 3rd Party Insurance Covers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.