Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,485 members, 7,920,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 01:16 PM

Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death (24255 Views)

Mohbad's Wife Wants Son's DNA Test Done In 3 Hospitals - Iyabo Ojo / Brandi Akpobome 21st Birthday: Ali Baba Celebrates His Daughter / Alibaba's Daughter, Akpevwoghene Akpobome Wins Best Overall In Igbo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by Born2Breed(f): 12:47pm On Sep 25, 2018
Crimecity:
Late raggae legend Ras Kimono‘s widow, Efe Okedi, passed on on Sunday just 3 months after her husband died in Lagos. Her child who is Ras Kimono’s step son, who spoke to The NET revealed that his mum was rejected by 3 hospitals before she gave up the ghost.

It was also revealed by family members that the late Ras Kimomo’s wife was never ill.
Onome Akpobome, Ras Kimono’s stepson (Efe Okedi’s son who she had before marrying Ras Kimono), explained that her death was as mysterious as anything and that she was fine before going to bed, adding that the entire family had gone to the beach for an uncle’s birthday; only for her to complain of chest pains during the night.

“On Saturday, we went to the beach for my uncle’s birthday. Nothing went wrong until about 2 a.m when she woke us up to change over because PHCN had brought the light, she then went upstairs and started complaining of chest pain. At this point, she started breathing awkwardly…” he said.
She was then rushed to a hospital in Ogba, a mere ten minutes drive from their Magodo residence but would eventually give up the ghost without receiving treatment.

“Her elder sister who is a nurse attended to her and gave her first aid but her breathing was still laboured so we decided to take her to the hospital. First, we went to Blue Cross Hospital at Ogba but the staff we saw were unresponsive. I was shocked to see their unconcerned countenance.

When we saw that they were not ready to help us so we left and drove to County Hospital. A doctor saw her there, checked her pulse and said she was still breathing but that they had no facilities to treat her. So he referred us to Lagos University Teaching Hospital in Ikeja.”
As he sobbed softly, Onome further narrated that LASUTH was not of help either:

More below:

https://zenithnaija.com/my-mom-died-after-being-rejected-by-3-hospitals-ras-kimonos-step-son-onome/

1 Like

Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by Smile4daddy(m): 12:53pm On Sep 25, 2018
gidjah:
So so unfortunate bros, that's the situation we find our selves in this nation.This displays the selfishness of our leaders, evil sects, they can afford flying abroad and so ignore the decaying state of our health sector.God dey!

But all dose hospitals she listed are private hospitals apart from the LASUTH where she finally gave up the ghost b4 they got there.

1 Like

Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by dawno2008(m): 12:54pm On Sep 25, 2018
What can I say,even our health minister said some doctors are supposed to be farmers and tailors like the pne that sew his cloth

Seriously naija is a hellhole,where our lifeless President get health treatments abroad
So tell me who is to blame

3 Likes

Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by HomeOfMe(f): 12:55pm On Sep 25, 2018
Crimecity:
Late raggae legend Ras Kimono‘s widow, Efe Okedi, passed on on Sunday just 3 months after her husband died in Lagos. Her child who is Ras Kimono’s step son, who spoke to The NET revealed that his mum was rejected by 3 hospitals before she gave up the ghost.

It was also revealed by family members that the late Ras Kimomo’s wife was never ill.
Onome Akpobome, Ras Kimono’s stepson (Efe Okedi’s son who she had before marrying Ras Kimono), explained that her death was as mysterious as anything and that she was fine before going to bed, adding that the entire family had gone to the beach for an uncle’s birthday; only for her to complain of chest pains during the night.

“On Saturday, we went to the beach for my uncle’s birthday. Nothing went wrong until about 2 a.m when she woke us up to change over because PHCN had brought the light, she then went upstairs and started complaining of chest pain. At this point, she started breathing awkwardly…” he said.
She was then rushed to a hospital in Ogba, a mere ten minutes drive from their Magodo residence but would eventually give up the ghost without receiving treatment.

“Her elder sister who is a nurse attended to her and gave her first aid but her breathing was still laboured so we decided to take her to the hospital. First, we went to Blue Cross Hospital at Ogba but the staff we saw were unresponsive. I was shocked to see their unconcerned countenance.

When we saw that they were not ready to help us so we left and drove to County Hospital. A doctor saw her there, checked her pulse and said she was still breathing but that they had no facilities to treat her. So he referred us to Lagos University Teaching Hospital in Ikeja.”
As he sobbed softly, Onome further narrated that LASUTH was not of help either:

More below:

https://zenithnaija.com/my-mom-died-after-being-rejected-by-3-hospitals-ras-kimonos-step-son-onome/

Sick/ill people are at risk living in Nigeria...

1 Like

Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by blackboy(m): 1:00pm On Sep 25, 2018
Similar thing happened to me. You even need connection to get emergency treatment in Naija govt hospitals. I know how the guy is feeling. Pele. Sorry for your loss.

This is Nigeria. I have accepted it, can I change it? Health worker not complaining. Nigerians complain? Salary, power, position allowances they all fight for but the needful no

4 Likes

Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by ACE1010: 1:02pm On Sep 25, 2018
Richdad50:
Buhari brings out the WORST in everyone and everything. Even Facilities and Care centres are no exception. SAD!

What's this one saying??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by Chinny024(f): 1:05pm On Sep 25, 2018
You see it as a breathing problem..Unfortunately, it might be something related to ventricular fibrillation...Hardly do some teaching hospital offer good BP monitoring apparatus not to talk of a functional defibrillator..
Don't give up on Nigeria yet.. Lets be managing till God remembers us..
It a pity.. May God grant her eternal rest..
See how nurses take the rest of the risk... shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by Benekruku(m): 1:05pm On Sep 25, 2018
Richdad50:
Buhari brings out the WORST in everyone and everything. Even Facilities and Care centres are no exception. SAD!

You out-rightly mad
Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by Nobody: 1:08pm On Sep 25, 2018
MyVILLAGEpeople:
I blame Buhari

Under pressure, Nigeria under pressure. Nigerians are under pressure in this clueless administration of Buhari.
Another display of madness in freestyle!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by Nobody: 1:13pm On Sep 25, 2018
So sad
Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by KanwuliaExtra: 1:14pm On Sep 25, 2018
This na Lagos o!
With all the Tinubu, Fashola and Ambode reforms.

No HOSPITALS!

Chai!!!! cry

*both husband and wife had weight issues sha*
Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by Reelmii: 1:15pm On Sep 25, 2018
my dear u just giving up on this contry,

when even buhari does not treat cough in ths contry because he dose not trust the health sector

even his son is being treated abroad

1 Like

Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by Reelmii: 1:18pm On Sep 25, 2018
KanwuliaExtra:
This na Lagos o!
With all the Tinubu, Fashola and Ambode reforms.

No HOSPITALS!

Chai!!!! cry

*both husband and wife had weight issues sha*
this is a lesson to those that are fat

exsecise is very important
Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by tenmariner: 1:19pm On Sep 25, 2018
Hospitals have derailed from their life saving responsibility and v now assumed a financial institution dimension. Money before life. Pathetic!
Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by gidjah(m): 1:21pm On Sep 25, 2018
Smile4daddy:

But all dose hospitals she listed are private hospitals apart from the LASUTH where she finally gave up the ghost b4 they got there.
those public hospitals are actually worst than their private counterparts. Most of us patronise both and can compare.the level of disdain,lack of commitment and corruption going on in the medical parastatal is gargatuan. Untillnwe get pragramatic leaders that are quite versatile in all our sectors in this nation, I don't see us getting seriously better
Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by KanwuliaExtra: 1:27pm On Sep 25, 2018
Reelmii:
this is a lesson to those that are fat

exsecise is very important

Yes o!
Obesity comes with all kinds of health problems.

How can the son come out and say “she was fine” and her death was “mysterious”? undecided
Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by Nobody: 1:27pm On Sep 25, 2018
most hospitals in nigeria are slaughter-tabs !

I helplessly watched my mom died an untimely death due to the utter negligence of some demonic doctors!.....#one Of The hardest pills I ever swallowed.
Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by Nobody: 1:30pm On Sep 25, 2018
Pls Sue the hospitals for negligence,an example has to be made to ensure that this does not occur again
Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by pokipoki: 1:32pm On Sep 25, 2018
Bitterleafsoup:
I know she was not sick but obesity can stop your heart and breathe. Unfortunately we live in a country where the medical facilities are ignored by rulers that get medical care abroad.
Take heart family rest in peace mama.
Are you the doctor that treated her or you are just sick in the head? Find out what the remote cause of death is before you start posting rubbish
Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by blackgold2018(m): 1:32pm On Sep 25, 2018
priceactionx:
On another account by her sister, she said it was in the morning that they they took her to hospital na. Rip to the woman.

This is screen shot from amebo Linda.
I don't want to believe that the hospital don't attend to her sha, she might have given up the ghost before she got there. Cardiac arrest is so sudden that if nothing is done within seconds, it might lead to death, that's what I suspected and according to the chest pain she complained. Is not everytime we must blame the hospital and come to social media to rant, they are helpless at times. The pain of loosing her husband alone can trigger her sudden death. Some couples are just like that when the bond is much. Rip to the woman once again.
it's obvious the hospitals they want to don't have"Intensive Care Unit" section and it's facilities. Don't say what you don't know about please.

1 Like

Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by Thom1759: 1:33pm On Sep 25, 2018
May her soul rest in the bossom of the Almighty God. Nigeria only needs a thorough revolution.
Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by DandyWalker(m): 1:35pm On Sep 25, 2018
She probably died of myocardial infarction and might have been hypertensive while alive. Very few hospitals In nigeria have the facility to treat such.

2 Likes

Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by blackgold2018(m): 1:38pm On Sep 25, 2018
priceactionx:
On another account by her sister, she said it was in the morning that they they took her to hospital na. Rip to the woman.

This is screen shot from amebo Linda.
I don't want to believe that the hospital don't attend to her sha, she might have given up the ghost before she got there. Cardiac arrest is so sudden that if nothing is done within seconds, it might lead to death, that's what I suspected and according to the chest pain she complained. Is not everytime we must blame the hospital and come to social media to rant, they are helpless at times. The pain of loosing her husband alone can trigger her sudden death. Some couples are just like that when the bond is much. Rip to the woman once again.
You have never lost someone out of hospitals negligence and incompetence. I don't wish that to u though, so don't abuse a grieving person saying his jst ranting on social media.
Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by Thom1759: 1:40pm On Sep 25, 2018
@chinny it's nice you thought wise to be abit explanatory about breathing related issues,
Thanks for the extra knowledge.
But it's really unfortunate that our health sector is in this bad shape.
I know you usually see more of these cases going by the fact that you are a nurse. Can I get to discuss something about my dad with you if okay? Here's my whatsapp number 07018074766
Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by Reelmii: 1:41pm On Sep 25, 2018
d33types:

You must be silly. Doctors aren't the only ones who attends to patients . If the record staff hasn't seen and the nurse hasn't gotten the patients vital signs, the doctor cannot see.

If the patient does not pay, the record clerk will not document the patients case, and the nurse will not use her teeth to attend.worse still, most HMO's don't cover much, and they're inefficient.
Wasn't it under our very eyes the NHIS guy was removed for fraud up to billions of naira but Buhari put him back?

Blame your government..not any damñ Hospital.

so a convulsing child should wait for all this protocol to be observed? ?

na wah for ur own analysis o

can the child be stabilised first before all that,

and when the child dies, u will tell the parents u are sorry

God is watching o

3 Likes

Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by d33types: 1:50pm On Sep 25, 2018
Reelmii:
so a convulsing child should wait for all this protocol to be observed? ?

na wah for ur own analysis o

can the child be stabilised first before all that,

and when the child dies, u will tell the parents u are sorry

God is watching o

Even in the US and UK, yes .that's how it's done.

Else if anything happens to the child, the doctor will be held responsible. The law is an ass.

1 Like

Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by themanderon: 1:56pm On Sep 25, 2018
This country is under a curse weather we want to believe it or not. Avoidable deaths everywhere, security agents killing people willy nilly, dead government corporations and departments, viciously corrupt security agencies, evil, vile and wicked rulers, non functional hospitals, wicked health workers full of apathy etc.
Who did we offend? Who will save this country from all these avoidable calamities? where do we go to for help? Kai.
Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by deleo16(m): 2:04pm On Sep 25, 2018
blackboy:
Similar thing happened to me. You even need connection to get emergency treatment in Naija govt hospitals. I know how the guy is feeling. Pele. Sorry for your loss.

This is Nigeria. I have accepted it, can I change it? Health worker not complaining. Nigerians complain? Salary, power, position allowances they all fight for but the needful no
when Bill gate mention how human captial devedevekopment is important and healthcare this is what he was saying you don't play politics with heathcare no wonder Nigeria doctor are troooping into nambia I don't blame them instead .
Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by theoldpretender(m): 2:07pm On Sep 25, 2018
Before I answer...

1.Condolences to the family of Ras Kimono over this untimely loss.

2.I think that we do have a serious problem with negligience in our health care sector. However, too often, we also have an issue with too much giving of people a bad name too.

So, here are things that bother me about this story.

1.We do not know what kind of illness the wife of the singer was suffering from...which is important.

2.There seems to be some confusion of time of death.

3.They were rejected at two hospitals. That is in most instances a sign of the hospital being honest with you...that they do not have the facilities to treat you at all....and they have to refer you.

(And trying to treat a patient without the right kind of faciltiy, backup...with patient dying...can lead to serious charges of negligence for the doctors and nurses concerned. You will be asked why you did not refer that case.).

One doctor i knew had a child come in with serious pneumonia. Child needed oxygen. Doc told mother of child that they had to go to the nearest teaching hospital. Mother begged...no money for teaching hospital...please treat my child. Doctor agreed....and child survived. But if child had died...the doc would have been in serious trobule for negligence.

4.They arrived at LASUTH....there was a 40 minute delay. That could have been due to any factors....lack of bed space, lack of adequate facilties, etc....or money

Now...let me let you in on a secret....many hospitals in Nigeria are in debt because patients run away wihtout paying for care.I used to work in a parivate hospital which had patients owing...big time. And that impacts the hospitals ability to provide adequate care...because no money means no facilities....

5.Before you bash our medicos...please ask why such and such is happening.Because the truth is....our health system is hobbled by a lot of factors that make it diffiuclt to work. And the brain drain of doctors,nurses, and other cadre makes things worse

3 Likes

Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by seangy4konji: 2:30pm On Sep 25, 2018
Only grace of God is keeping men alive in Nigeria.

Any small thing my brother u r gone
Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by Kanurii: 3:21pm On Sep 25, 2018
Nigeria is a slum
Re: Onome Akpobome: Efe Okedi, My Mother Rejected By 3 Hospitals Before Death by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 3:38pm On Sep 25, 2018
Realberg:
Another display of madness in freestyle!
It obvious that you are the one mad here.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Eucharia Anunobi Spotted At An Event: Hot Or Not / Halima Abubakar: Stay Away From Motivational Speakers / The Most Beautiful Black Woman In The World With Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.