Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,142 members, 7,880,578 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 09:31 PM

"Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG (1072 Views)

Annkio Briggs: Danger Looms If Nigeria Fails To Restructure / Ahmed Lawan: Another Protest Looms If Unemployment Persists / Recession Looms As Buhari Aso Rock Cabals Set Niger Delta On Fire Over NDDC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:15am On Sep 26, 2018
• MPC holds interest rate at 14%

• Emefiele optimistic over $8.1bn MTN transfer dispute

The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has urged the Federal Government to faithfully commence implementation of the 2018 budget to avert danger of the economy sliding back to recession, even as it kept its main interest rate at 14 per cent yesterday.
This came just as CBN Governor, Mr. Godwin Emefiele, said he was optimistic the apex bank would resolve a dispute linked to allegations that South African telecommunications firm, MTN, moved funds out of the country illegally.
The CBN policy think tank, whose split decision reflected the bank’s need to contend with both sluggish growth and accelerating inflation, said three of the 10 members of the MPC who met voted to tighten by 25 basis points.
The rate has been at a record high 14 per cent since July 2016.
Nigeria emerged from its first recession in 25 years in 2017, but continues to suffer from sluggish growth and high inflation.
Emefiele said the MPC left Cash Reserves Ratio (CRR) at 22.5 per cent; liquidity at 30 per cent and Asymmetric corridor at +200 and -500 basis points around the MPR.
“There is need to maintain the current monetary policy stance and await a clearer understanding of the quantum and timing of liquidity injections into the economy before deciding on possible adjustments,” Emefiele said.
Commenting on underpinning developments that informed its decision, he said: “The committee appraised the macro-economic environment and noted that at its July meeting, modest stability has been achieved in key indicators, including inflation, exchange rate and reserves.

“In particular, relative stability has returned to the foreign exchange market, going by a robust level of external reserves with inflation trending downward for the 18th consecutive month.”
However, the governor said these gains so far achieved appear to be under threat of reversal following the new data, which provides evidence of weakening fundamentals.

The governor said MPC listed measures, which include implementing capital component of 2018 budget, implementing provisions contained in Economic Recovery and Growth Plan (ERGP) that government could take to sustain economic growth.
“In this regard, the committee urged government to take advantage of the current rising trend in the oil prices to rebuild fiscal buffers, strengthen government finances in the medium term and reverse the current trend of decline in output growth.
“MPC also called on the fiscal authority to intensify the implementation of ERGP to stimulate economic activities, bridge the output gap and create employment,” he said.

Emefiele said the committee expressed concern on rising inflation, which he said could rise in the wake of electioneering spending, coupled with distribution from Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC).

He said: “The MPC expressed concern over the potential impact of liquidity injection from the election related spending, and increase in FAAC distribution which is rising in tandem with increase in oil receipt.”

Other areas of committee’s concern include rising level of non-performing loans in the banking system, which he said was stressed mainly by exposure to the oil sector, urging the banks to closely monitor and address the situation.
Meanwhile, Emefiele said he was optimistic that CBN would resolve a dispute linked to allegations that MTN moved funds out of the country illegally.

The banking watchdog, last month, ordered MTN and its lenders to bring $8.134 billion back into Nigeria, which CBN alleged the company had sent abroad in breach of foreign exchange regulations.
MTN’s lenders, Standard Chartered, Stanbic IBTC Bank, Citibank and Diamond Bank were also fined in connection to the money transfer.
He confirmed that MTN and the four banks have written to CBN and provided documents on the matter.

“We understand that there was some interpretation in some quarters that, aside from the naira penalty, there was some conclusion that those dollars attributed to have been remitted by these banks on behalf of MTN were indeed the liabilities of the bank,” he said.
“That is why we provided a clarification to the banks when they called us that the liability is that of MTN and not theirs and that CBN was not in any position or in any way going to debit the bank for the dollar because it was not their liability. It’s important to note that this was an investigation that started about two years ago.”

Meanwhile, Emefiele explained the wisdom behind the adoption of a new name – Polaris – for Skyebank, which it handed over to Assets Management Company of Nigeria (AMCON).
He also affirmed that strategic health of Nigerian banking system remains strong and sound, dispelling insinuation of distress.

At a question and answer session at Tuesday’s MPC meeting in Abuja, Emefiele said: “Let me repeat that the strategic health of the Nigerian banking system remains sound. In every chain, there will always be strong point and weak points, but what we will continue to do is to make sure that that chain remains strong in all aspects of it.

“Notwithstanding, as we see areas where there are weaknesses, we will do everything possible to make sure that we keep the chain linked together and that is what we did with Skye Bank.”
He said Polaris Bank was duly registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC), adding that the new name was part of requirement for a company going through such peculiar situation experienced by the bank.
“The name had to be changed for legal reasons, having got to the point where CBN has invested close to N800 billion in this bank, at some point, it must be seen to be owned by CBN until we find investors that can pay a fair price for the bank. That is the reason why the name had to change from Skye Bank to Polaris Bank,” he said.

https://newtelegraphonline.com/2018/09/cbn-recession-looms-if-2018-budget-isnt-executed/

[quote][/quote]

Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by weyreypey: 6:19am On Sep 26, 2018
Not new. Buhari is a recessionist

He's done it before and can still do it again. Actually that's the only thing he's good at!

3 Likes

Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by Switruth: 6:20am On Sep 26, 2018
On the brink. Oh Nigeria.
Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by FarahAideed: 6:23am On Sep 26, 2018
Buhari has never been known to execute any Budget to even up to 30 percent
Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by Millenniumlady(f): 6:26am On Sep 26, 2018
Buharia won't act now ooooooo undecided
Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by apriko(m): 6:27am On Sep 26, 2018
Recession has been here since 29th May 2015 till date......so kini big deal

2 Likes

Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by StarFist(m): 6:42am On Sep 26, 2018
Jisos! By last quarter of 2018 and budget yet to be implemented... Odiegwu oooooi!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by nnachukz(m): 6:45am On Sep 26, 2018
When it happens Zombies will blame past administrations. Being Zombies they will be too dull to see that the poor policy implementation of bubu government is the remote cause of all these recessions hitting us repeatedly.

2 Likes

Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by NigeriaIsDoomed: 6:54am On Sep 26, 2018
Is Nigeria not still in recession? Una think everybody dey as dull and lifeless as the lifeless one?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by bizza45: 6:55am On Sep 26, 2018
what's d need of u reading a budget if u don't want to implement it... or abi rat don chop d budget again
Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by Zansu007: 7:02am On Sep 26, 2018
No Plans, No Blue print. There were alone interested in clinching power. a govt that took 6month to set up her team and we expect magic

2 Likes

Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by EmekaMD(m): 7:03am On Sep 26, 2018
Bubu the snail..
Later he'd blame it on the past administration

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by Flets: 7:05am On Sep 26, 2018
The recession is certain with or without the budget. This govt have consciously worked the economy aground. If Buhari ever wins 2019, Dollar will exchange for over 500 Naira.

2 Likes

Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by hisgrace090: 7:06am On Sep 26, 2018
Pmb, this inhuman o!
Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by eagleeye2: 7:08am On Sep 26, 2018
But we are still in recession now. Abi na descending recession we want enter so?
Naija na die.

1 Like

Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by wristbangle: 7:15am On Sep 26, 2018
God, please favour me to leave for greener pasture. Can't continue to stay in a country where greedy people are further edging out the little hope left. cry
Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by freeze001(f): 7:41am On Sep 26, 2018
They will soon say Saraki refused to pass budget.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 7:45am On Sep 26, 2018
Sarrki grin
Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by Nobody: 8:19am On Sep 26, 2018
Flets:
The recession is certain with or without the budget. This govt have consciously worked the economy aground. If Buhari ever wins 2019, Dollar will exchange for over 500 Naira.

what's 500 naira? Didn't it exchange for more than it before? We're looking at an exchange of 1,000 naira, you there expecting what has already happened.

Just watch!!!
Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by Bizibi(m): 8:22am On Sep 26, 2018
They won't listen!!! All of them na dunce,big idiots.....
Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by EternalTruths: 8:26am On Sep 26, 2018
Do Buhari have ears.?
Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by IamPlato(m): 8:27am On Sep 26, 2018
Millenniumlady:
Buharia won't act now ooooooo undecided

And Since When Did You Become A Politician undecided
Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by Millenniumlady(f): 8:29am On Sep 26, 2018
IamPlato:

And Since When Did You Become A Politician undecided
Forget politician cheesy Where have you been
Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by IamPlato(m): 8:32am On Sep 26, 2018
Millenniumlady:
Forget politician cheesy Where have you been

I Should Be Askin You That.

I Have Been Around. Some Nairaland Lions Have Been Fighting Me Because Of Woman...
Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by Millenniumlady(f): 8:35am On Sep 26, 2018
IamPlato:

I Should Be Askin You That.

I Have Been Around. Some Nairaland Lions Have Been Fighting Me Because Of Woman...

Who are they don't they know you have a tiger as a side chick wink
Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by IamPlato(m): 8:40am On Sep 26, 2018
Millenniumlady:
Who are they don't they know you have a tiger as a side chick wink

Hahahahaha...

Just Forget Them Abeg.

How Have You Been... This Your Dark Beauty Is Killin Me smiley
Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by Millenniumlady(f): 8:44am On Sep 26, 2018
IamPlato:

Hahahahaha...

Just Forget Them Abeg.

How Have You Been... This Your Dark Beauty Is Killin Me smiley
Been around jare smiley Awwww same way your height is making me blush lipsrsealed cheesy cheesy
Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by IamPlato(m): 8:49am On Sep 26, 2018
Millenniumlady:
Been around jare smiley Awwww same way your height is making me blush lipsrsealed cheesy cheesy

Hahahahaha. Wicked Girl...

I'm Not Short o.

I'm Obviously Taller Than You
Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by Millenniumlady(f): 9:00am On Sep 26, 2018
IamPlato:

Hahahahaha. Wicked Girl...

I'm Not Short o.

I'm Obviously Taller Than You
I didn't say you're short cheesy it's just a compliment if you know what i mean wink
Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by IamPlato(m): 9:02am On Sep 26, 2018
Millenniumlady:
I didn't say you're short cheesy it's just a compliment if you know what i mean wink

smiley Funny Girl... If I Catch You, the Kiss No Go Be Here...

You Feeling This Rain This Morning
Re: "Recession Looms If 2018 Budget Isn't Executed" - CBN Warns FG by Millenniumlady(f): 9:05am On Sep 26, 2018
IamPlato:

smiley Funny Girl... If I Catch You, the Kiss No Go Be Here...

You Feeling This Rain This Morning
E cho ka preashy po mu oku cheesy

It looks like it's raining everywhere in Lagos sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Disagrees With Priti’s Comment On Nigeria / See These Campaigns Banner Of Some PDP ADC, ACCORD Governorship Candidates / Bollore - Power China Consortium Emerge Preferred Bidder For Ibom Deep Seaport.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.