Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,519 members, 7,885,170 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 02:54 AM

Beer, Drinking In Nigeria: The Brands You Have Forgotten About - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Beer, Drinking In Nigeria: The Brands You Have Forgotten About (811 Views)

11-year-old Defending Champion Dies During Beer Drinking Contest / Forgotten My 737 Pin Help Needed! / Father Christmas Drinking Beer At A Bar In Ibadan, Oyo State. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beer, Drinking In Nigeria: The Brands You Have Forgotten About by gideonjeta(m): 2:08am On Sep 28, 2018
First off, if you know five of the beer brands on this list, you are from a family of human breweries, walking, breaking and speaking pidgin, while occasionally eating swallow and draw soup.
Second off, you need to go and marry, altar is waiting for you… Pause. By “go and marry,” we are only talking about the men, not the women, who have a right to marry AT ANYTIME.

We bring a throwback article to some of the favourite Nigerian beer brands, now forgotten.

The starter pack for consumption usually includes a beer mug which Nigerians call, ‘Tumbler’ and a saucer to contain whatever edible the beer is going to soundtrack or ‘drunk-track’ — whichever suits you. Some of these brands have gone out of business, while some have rebranded and are now looking to steal market shares.
Without further bland jokes, enjoy the list;
1.) Tusk
Currently, the brand is produced by Sona Breweries in Nigeria. The brand was a smooth blend, rich in lager and premium alcohol like Nigerians like.

2.) Wilfort
From the stout family. It’s not really known whether this brand ever had a dedicated following, but it was definitely rich in markets till the late 2000s. While it is still in production, also by Sona Breweries, it never really had a better following in one market that the other.
It probably had a spread of following across Nigeria.

3.) Top Beer
This brand enjoyed great following in Ekiti State, Nigeria. It was contained in a green bottle and had slightly sharper taste than the smooth and dull beer brands. The brand is now obsolete and the internet is not even filled with any history of it. What a way to treat a legendary beer.

4.) Harp
A legendary beer produced by Guinness, it started production for the Nigerian market in 1974, in Guinness’ brewery, Benin Nigeria. Its first global production was however in 1960, England.
The beer enjoyed its best Nigerian run in the 80s and 90s when brand diversity of beer first became an issue of Nigerian demand. Housed in a green bottle and emblazoned with the symbol of a trademarked harp, it is smooth and sometimes was an alternative to Star for Nigerian beer lovers.

5.) Kroneburg Beer
It never was a mainstay with the Nigerian ‘mekunu’ as it majorly resonated with the bourgeoisie and their bougie parties. It was too Behind and classy for us.
What use is a Nigerian beer that seems like Hunter’s or Stella Artois to Nigerians?? It is manufactured by Kroneburg Brewery.

https://www.nigerialog.com/metro/beer-drinking-in-nigeria-the-brands-you-have-forgotten-about/new/#new
Re: Beer, Drinking In Nigeria: The Brands You Have Forgotten About by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:21am On Sep 28, 2018
Gone are the Good old days.......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Beer, Drinking In Nigeria: The Brands You Have Forgotten About by pussyeater(m): 3:49am On Sep 28, 2018
Op! Your list isn't complete without "33" grin
Re: Beer, Drinking In Nigeria: The Brands You Have Forgotten About by meobizy(f): 5:09am On Sep 28, 2018
Tusk is still available in Jos. I've stopped drinking if not I would've found it.
33 is still available everywhere.
I've consumed Wilfort before. It was not impressive. I got it from one of my dudes who retails alcoholic beverages. One can order for it. A visit to most breweries or suppliers is all it takes.
Harp is available nationwide. There is nothing special about it. It doesn't belong in the list.
I doubt I've drank Kroneburg before.
Most of the drinks in the list are available although maybe in specific locations.
Re: Beer, Drinking In Nigeria: The Brands You Have Forgotten About by excel101(m): 5:18am On Sep 28, 2018
Op you don't know much about the forgotten beer. Where is Champion beer, Gold Beer, Satzebrou (skirt & blouse), scholl beer etc.
Re: Beer, Drinking In Nigeria: The Brands You Have Forgotten About by pussyeater(m): 1:23am On Sep 29, 2018
meobizy:
Tusk is still available in Jos. I've stopped drinking if not I would've found it.
33 is still available everywhere.
I've consumed Wilfort before. It was not impressive. I got it from one of my dudes who retails alcoholic beverages. One can order for it. A visit to most breweries or suppliers is all it takes.
Harp is available nationwide. There is nothing special about it. It doesn't belong in the list.
I doubt I've drank Kroneburg before.
Most of the drinks in the list are available although maybe in specific locations.
Chai I fear you oh

(1) (Reply)

An Interview With Mr Mcmichael, Owner Of Domino’s Pizza & Cold Stone / Free Download:Over 30 Hot Evergreen Products With Manufacturer's link in 2019 / Heart Touching Story From Boko Haram War Front By A Soldier

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.