Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,300 members, 7,943,709 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 10:28 PM

Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup (5388 Views)

Flops Of The World Cup / Flops Of The Tournament / The Five Biggest Flops Of The Worldcup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by sonerkind(m): 9:55pm On Jul 14, 2010
CarlosVent:

pls add david villa

Am sure you kidding!
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by dominique(f): 11:21pm On Jul 14, 2010
i expected much better from goal (they must have been recruiting BBC reporters angry). why on earth is Nigeria the only country among 9 people. how about the defending champions and runner-up? those ones are not worse flops abi. errant nonsense angry
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by kryc: 7:40am On Jul 15, 2010
pls NFF shuld listen to this

Nigerian Super DUCK team shuld go to next world tournament and play with bare foots, white singlet and green boxers.

Their captain band shuld be palm frond.

then their coaches and technical advisers shuld wear sack clothes on bench

then the former NFF executives shuld be hanged.

Nigeria shuld be the first on the list.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by Ibime(m): 7:42am On Jul 15, 2010
Some people are idiots. Messi was easily one of the best players in the tournament. Must he score goal before una satisfy? Was he playing as a striker?

The biggest omission from that list is Franck Ribery.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by 9jafreak: 9:21am On Jul 15, 2010
[size=14pt]ROFLMAO @ folks calling for Messi's inclusion

Don't ya wish your players were GOOD like him?

Don't ya?
[/size]
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by ogazi007(m): 9:30am On Jul 15, 2010
Messi is the world best,he was a joy to watch throughout the tournament.
people are just hating on him cos he has achieved what most succesful footballer could not get at his age(he is just 23 people)
we dont care what u say about him,inasmuch as he can destroy madrid and put four away aginst top Epl clubs,he will remain my hero.
Ivory coast should have been on the list.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by mikeoscar: 9:54am On Jul 15, 2010
^^How did David Villa flop? 

Didn't his team win the World Cup?

Plus He scored 5 crucial goals in the entire tournament.

BTW I'm glad you 're loving him again wink grin

Where were was you in the finals(trying out my ebonics). I was looking out for you to join our spanish celebration lap tongue.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by Akuviv: 10:00am On Jul 15, 2010
[/quote]kryc

Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup
« #34 on: Today at 07:40:29 AM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pls NFF shuld listen to this

Nigerian Super DUCK team shuld go to next world tournament and play with bare foots, white singlet and green boxers.

Their captain band shuld be palm frond.

then their coaches and technical advisers shuld wear sack clothes on bench

then the former NFF executives shuld be hanged.

Nigeria shuld be the first on the list [quote]

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin cry cry cry grin grin grin This is so funny.

@ MATILTOM_D: Alot of people do not understand this thread, it is suppose to be a list of people we had high expectations of but who disappointed big time! I was not in support of featuring Yakubu at SA 2010 so not disappointed at his performance, just knew he would be himself by been 'YAK' (not a compliment but expression of disgust ok )
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by ilosiwaju: 10:02am On Jul 15, 2010
Am seeing some barcelona-inclined posts here. If ronaldo could make that list, messi should. The reason they are flops is not cos they are bad players but instead great players that failed to deliver when needed most. Messi is 23, yes we know. He is the best in the world at the moment, i agree but the hype is too much. Even his maradona was a hero for club and country. Ronaldinho- brazil and barca enjoyed him, same goes for Zizou with france and madrid. One thing this world cup tells me is that without regular pipelines like xavi and iniesta, he's out. Inter proved that too. Zidane and Ronaldinho are so fresh in my memory that messi is not the best guy have seen yet. Soccer still awaits a football magician, the last was dinho? Maybe when he grows up small sha.
All in all, he was one of the WC spotlights and failed. He should be on the list. Finito!
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by ogazi007(m): 10:24am On Jul 15, 2010
Were xavi and Inesta there when he won under 20 world cup for Agentina?(he won the best player of that tournmaent)
He won olympic gold medal for Agentina and people seems to have forgotten so soon.leave the boi alone he has done his best.
6 goals out 10 they scored came from the boi assist.he has done well,and FIFA recorgnized that by naming him among the contender for the Golden ball.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by Ibime(m): 11:42am On Jul 15, 2010
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2890/world-cup-2010/2010/07/15/2026154/world-cup-2010-spain-coach-vicente-del-bosque-believes

Spain coach Vicente del Bosque believes Lionel Messi deserved Golden Ball more than Diego Forlan

Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has declared that, in his opinion, Argentina star Lionel Messi deserved the World Cup Golden Ball more than Uruguay striker Diego Forlan.

Forlan surprised many with some outstanding performances in which he contributed five goals to the Celeste's fourth-placed finish, and his efforts were rewarded when he collected the honour of best player at the tournament.

Del Bosque, who led la Furia Roja to glory in South Africa, said he would have liked it if one of his players had claimed the individual accolade, but insisted that if it was up to him, Barcelona talisman Messi's performances at the finals would have been recognised.

"Apart from our own [players] I preferred Messi. Each game he played he made 20 chances to score, he is a phenomenon," said Del Bosque, as quoted by Sport.

"We would have liked it to have been one of us. Messi deserves the Golden Ball more than Forlan."
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by Kx: 11:45am On Jul 15, 2010
They keep saying Messi is a phenomenon, when will this "fenomenon" flourish?
In dream world?
Is nt this guy simply over hyped?
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by PurestBoy(m): 12:52pm On Jul 15, 2010
ilosiwaju:

Am seeing some barcelona-inclined posts here. If ronaldo could make that list, messi should. The reason they are flops is not cos they are bad players but instead great players that failed to deliver when needed most. Messi is 23, yes we know. He is the best in the world at the moment, i agree but the hype is too much. Even his maradona was a hero for club and country. Ronaldinho- brazil and barca enjoyed him, same goes for Zizou with france and madrid. One thing this world cup tells me is that [size=16pt]without regular pipelines like xavi and iniesta, he's out[/size]. Inter proved that too. Zidane and Ronaldinho are so fresh in my memory that messi is not the best guy have seen yet. Soccer still awaits a football magician, the last was dinho? Maybe when he grows up small sha.
All in all, he was one of the WC spotlights and failed. He should be on the list. Finito!

@The bolded statement: Did you see how Spain/Barca struggle to score without Messi while having Iniesta & Xavi? This shows that Spain/Barca need Messi more than Messi needs Iniesta/Xavi because Messi had 47goals with only 4 assists from Xavi while Iniesta is injured in most part of the season. Statistics show that 65% of all Messi's goal s are from his own individual skills without any assist. I don't remember Forlan, Sneijder or Any of the German favorites did what Messi has done in football and he's the reason why 80% of people all over the world watch Barca matches.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by DrKitaun(m): 12:57pm On Jul 15, 2010
ilosiwaju:

Am seeing some barcelona-inclined posts here. If ronaldo could make that list, messi should. The reason they are flops is not cos they are bad players but instead great players that failed to deliver when needed most. Messi is 23, yes we know. He is the best in the world at the moment, i agree but the hype is too much. Even his maradona was a hero for club and country. Ronaldinho- brazil and barca enjoyed him, same goes for Zizou with france and madrid. One thing this world cup tells me is that without regular pipelines like xavi and iniesta, he's out. Inter proved that too. Zidane and Ronaldinho are so fresh in my memory that messi is not the best guy have seen yet. Soccer still awaits a football magician, the last was dinho? Maybe when he grows up small sha.

Post of the year !!! cool

May your days be long, infact u will outlive ur forefathers grin
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by Mobsync(m): 1:32pm On Jul 15, 2010
Most of these players are overpaid in their clubs esp England_they are nothin' but overpaid rabbits.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by ilosiwaju: 1:48pm On Jul 15, 2010
PurestBoy:

@The bolded statement: Did you see how Spain/Barca struggle to score without Messi while having Iniesta & Xavi? This shows that Spain/Barca need Messi more than Messi needs Iniesta/Xavi because Messi had 47goals with only 4 assists from Xavi while Iniesta is injured in most part of the season. Statistics show that 65% of all Messi's goal s are from his own individual skills without any assist. I don't remember Forlan, Sneijder or Any of the German favorites did what Messi has done in football and he's the reason why 80% of people all over the world watch Barca matches.[b][/b]
I know you love him, i do too. Where on earth did you hear the 80% stuff from? Is it 80% of barca fans or 80% of football watchers in the world? For the statistics/65% thingy, i honestly dont know and will appreciate you give me one of such sources. If it were true, as much as i value statistics it sometimes betrays reality. Example- Barthez was the best goalkeeper in france 98, but bros between me and you, would you pick barthez to your team ahead of chilavert or schmeichel?  wink

Messi's deadliness to me is made up of:
Skills- 50%
Fear from defenders(i credit it to messi's skills + theatrics/dives)- 30% Mourinho knew that hence lucio and co's sterling defence against him.
Favour(yes, bite me)- 20%. you cant help but love this guy. Sweetly, he's only 23.

By skills, "I" prefer players who dont need the referee's whistle to keep defenders away(ronaldo, messi) but guys that can look into your eyes, arrange you and make you look stupid(, you got it- okocha, zizou, dinho).
Zizou- the art of the 360 turn.
Dinho- anything can happen, "sojunu" pass, if you play rough-i get big laps and stamina to stand you.
Okocha- master of "sojunu" pass, show me your number etc.
Guess what? They can all play free kicks.

Its relative though. At least, messi gets the job done too. Abi?

If messi had a proper "igi leyin ogba" he would do more but for zizou and dinho, they were the "igi leyin ogba" for both club and country. Till messi can do well for both club and country, he still needs to up his game as a midfielder.

Again,i reiterate. Club football, its Messi surely, i dont dispute that, I love the guy. International performance? the argentine number 10 shirt's still vacant. Can someone please call me Riquelme?

When one was thinking its the world cup that will determin who wins player of the year between ronaldo, rooney and messi. Own up, he was not it in SA2010.
He should be on the Top 10 Flops List.
Amen!  grin grin grin
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by PurestBoy(m): 1:55pm On Jul 15, 2010
ilosiwaju:

I know you love him, i do too. Where on earth did you hear the 80% stuff from? Is it 80% of barca fans or 80% of football watchers in the world? For the statistics/65% thingy, i honestly dont know and will appreciate you give me one of such sources. If it were true, as much as i value statistics it sometimes betrays reality. Example- Barthez was the best goalkeeper in france 98, but bros between me and you, would you pick barthez to your team ahead of chilavert or schmeichel?  wink

Messi's deadliness to me is made up of:
Skills- 50%
Fear from defenders(i credit it to messi's skills + theatrics/dives)- 30% Mourinho knew that hence lucio and co's sterling defence against him.
Favour(yes, bite me)- 20%. you cant help but love this guy. Sweetly, he's only 23.

By skills, "I" prefer players who dont need the referee's whistle to keep defenders away(ronaldo, messi) but guys that can look into your eyes, arrange you and make you look silly(, you got it- okocha, zizou, dinho).
Zizou- the art of the 360 turn.
Dinho- anything can happen, "sojunu" pass, if you play rough-i get big laps and stamina to stand you.
Okocha- master of "sojunu" pass, show me your number etc.
Guess what? They can all play free kicks.

Its relative though. At least, messi gets the job done too. Abi?

If messi had a proper "igi leyin ogba" he would do more but for zizou and dinho, they were the "igi leyin ogba" for both club and country. Till messi can do well for both club and country, he still needs to up his game as a midfielder.

Again,i reiterate. Club football, its Messi surely, i dont dispute that, I love the guy. International performance? the argentine number 10 shirt's still vacant. Can someone please call me Riquelme?

When one was thinking its the world cup that will determin who wins player of the year between ronaldo, rooney and messi. Own up, he was not it in SA2010.
He should be on the Top 10 Flops List.
Amen!  grin grin grin

Rabbish, I'm busy now but will get back to ya later
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by ilosiwaju: 2:04pm On Jul 15, 2010
PurestBoy:

Rabbish, I'm busy now but will get back to ya later
shiooooor!
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by PurestBoy(m): 2:10pm On Jul 15, 2010
ilosiwaju:

shiooooor!

Mr Oshisko on be la ra e sad sad
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by ilosiwaju: 2:27pm On Jul 15, 2010
;d ;d ;d
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by Newest: 2:56pm On Jul 15, 2010
Na so, the only reason Ronaldo was there was not just cause he flopped, it was cause we are all expecting much from him so i also wonder y Messi wasn't there, cause i was expecting Taye Taiwo to quite football after the first match against Argentina , but all we saw was nafinnnnnnnnnn Messi without Xavi and Iniesta is Flopppppp

GBAM

ilosiwaju:

Thanks jare my guy, tell dem
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by Johnnoo(m): 4:17pm On Jul 15, 2010
ethanson12:

This are the top 10 flop player in world cup:-
10. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)
9. Jonas Gutierrez (Argentina)
8. Nicolas Anelka (France)
7. Otto Rehhagel (Greece)
6. Fabio Cannavaro (Italy)
5. Felipe Melo (Brazil)
4. Nigeria
3. Fernando Torres (Spain)
2. Marcello Lippi (Italy)
1. Wayne Rooney (England)
grin lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by ajadudu: 7:14pm On Jul 15, 2010
Only reason Nigeria made the list and not an individual like Yakubu is because of the bonehead decision by Johnathan Goodluck. It is similar to having a child that failed an exam and instead of getting him a lesson teacher and ensure he finishes his/her homework in the privacy of your home, you went and put a full page advert on all the newspapers announcing his failure to the world and adding that you plan to take him out of the school system.

I hope he learnt a big lesson on use of power.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by Parnassuss(m): 3:50pm On Jul 16, 2010
omo, the list ain't perfect but its the closest thing to it. Me ma sef, think they should put Ribena and Dunga on that list. Which Devil made that fool drop Dinho, chei, talk about shooting urself in the foot, WITH A CANON.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by mike4livechosen: 7:52pm On Jul 17, 2010
messi and kaka name should have been on that list for not scoring even a goal
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by Ranoscky(m): 6:53pm On Jul 18, 2010
i ain't gat no-hm to say on this shyt!
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by mamagee3(f): 7:44pm On Jul 18, 2010
mike4livechosen:

messi and kaka name should have been on that list for not scoring even a goal
Kaka should be on that list. . .

Messi is overrated so it doesn't surprise me.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by ice234: 8:19pm On Jul 18, 2010
mama-gee:

Kaka should be on that list. . .

Messi is overrated so it doesn't surprise me.

ah mama gee. how can u say messi is over rated. am not his fan but right now there is no player better than him. if u think otherwise pls name the player. messi would still win next world player of the year. winger with 54 goals is over rated is that wat u are sayin
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by Ranoscky(m): 9:58pm On Jul 18, 2010
^^^ my broda, se ko sun e ni?

the problem is, mama gee is tryna adapt on sport section buh sometyms she makes an xpensive mistake just lyk the comment

she made on her previous post abt messi buh, non-deless, i stil lyk some1 lyk her tryna cop with som-hm dey ain't really use

to n i believe gradually with tym she'll pick up! *buh it's just so simple. just try and somtyms kip urself busy by watchin football matches lyk i.e premier league, la liga, seria A etc and share your xpirience on what u saw daz all. ASAT!!!*
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by mamagee3(f): 7:18pm On Jul 19, 2010
ice234:

ah mama gee. how can u say messi is over rated. am not his fan but right now there is no player better than him. if u think otherwise pls name the player. messi would still win next world player of the year. winger with 54 goals is over rated is that wat u are sayin
Messi is overrated. . .I mean trying to say he's a legend at 23 is just funny considering the fact that the overrated player hasn't even scored his 1000th career goal, he doesn't have a world cup trophy and has won the world player of the year only once. grin

Kaka is even more likely to make it in the football books of legends compared to this overhypee.

All I hear is Messi, messi, messi and yet when he comes he flops big time, he just can't play without Xavi and Iniesta.

Plus, he didn't score 54 goals, it was 47.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by Basics007: 2:48am On Jul 21, 2010
The most unique thing about this WC is actually the high number of people so much was expected of but delivered so lil. Attemptin to list/rank them will only be an exercise an futility hence why this list is so flawed. Guttirez? This guy plays Right wing or Central mdf for Newcastle so how can he be labelled a flop when Mara in all his wisdom played him in right back. Rehaggel? Be4 u can be called a flop there must have expectations from u in the first place. Who was expectin anythin from the Greeks? Or even Nigeria?
It is a fact that 60% of stars of expected to shine in SA effed up so a top 10 list is highly insufficient. More like a top 100 to me.
Re: Top 10 Flops Of The World Cup by ice234: 1:40am On Jul 22, 2010
mama gee pls. messi isnt a striker so cant score 1000 goals he is a winger and the greatest of all right now. kaka could do it in spain pls dont forget that ronaldo isthe brightest star in madrid just as a 23 yr old dude is the brightest in catalan and the world at large. messi and kaka isnt mate. messi is light years ahead of kaka and 100 yrs ahead of all other player. THEQUESTION I wOULD LIKE TO pUT TO U iS who is better than him right now

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rivers Hoopers Beat Cape Town Tigers, Finish Third In Basketball Africa League / Win With This Full Time X (DRAW) Tips ----- Martingale System. / 80% Correct Goal Predictions For Nairabet, 1960bet, Sportsbet, Betcolony, Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.