Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,429 members, 7,937,292 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 07:57 PM

How To React To Rejection Slips From Publishers. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How To React To Rejection Slips From Publishers. (1059 Views)

Looking For Authors And Publishers With Short Stories And Books For New Website / Phindia.com ~ Books, Ebooks Publishers / A Must Read: Dealing With Rejection From Publishers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To React To Rejection Slips From Publishers. by Orikinla(m): 5:15pm On Apr 06, 2007
I have received three rejection slips and the rejection slips came from the same publisher I am sticking with, because as Bishop Ajayi Crowther said, only the best is good enough for us. The publisher is one of the biggest publishers in the world.

I am addressing rejection slips and how writers react to them.

Here is the latest of the three rejection slips and my solution.

Many thanks for this submission. I truly respect your ability and tenacity with your writing -- it's the mark of any successful writer. And while I recognize the effort to outline a story of magical realism, I'm afraid that the way the story unfolds is just too fragmented and develops too many strands that are not tied together in an effective enough way to make this story commercially viable for our program.

I am unfortunately going to pass, but urge you to submit other pieces if you are amenable, and as you continue to refine your craft.

Best,

Daniel

Thank you for your swift reply.   Your work sounds most interesting.

If you will come to Berkeley and live here at International House, you need not apply for membership as it is included in the resident rate.   If, however, you  will stay in Berkeley but not at I-House, we will be grateful if you can join us as a Non-resident Member.   Thanks once again and we look forward to meeting you.

Best,

David Gilliam
Membership Coordinator

My friend Bisi Ojediran writes whenever he is on vacation in London, because distractions in Nigeria can affect your concentration. Helon Habila writes better since he relocated to the UK and from the UK to the US.
Re: How To React To Rejection Slips From Publishers. by Polando: 11:56pm On Feb 16, 2010
Rejection hurts cry

How do writers pick themselves up and carry on? Must be some huge amount of self-belief

Aside: You know Bisi Ojediran and Helon Habila?

(1) (Reply)

Writers Wanted / The Starfish Story / Helon Habila's Irekefe Island And His Latest Novel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.