Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,158 members, 7,887,370 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 07:42 AM

How Okowa Emerged As PDP Guber Flag Bearer - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Okowa Emerged As PDP Guber Flag Bearer (257 Views)

AIG Adamu Lafia Has Emerged As The New Acting IGP - Dele Momodu / Aisha Buhari Slams APC After They Affirmed Buhari As Its Flag-bearer / Hamzat, Lagos Lawmakers Adopt Sanwo-olu As APC Guber Flag Bearer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Okowa Emerged As PDP Guber Flag Bearer by ubikings: 5:07pm On Oct 10, 2018
How Okowa Emerged As PDP Guber Flag Bearer
By FIDELIS EGUGBO

GETTING your political party's ticket to fly its flag in an election is a great achievement, especially when such party is popular among the people. It is a strong indication of your acceptability in a democratic setting. In Delta State which is dominated by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), getting the party's ticket is as good as getting the victory at the general elections.
In Delta State the battle as to who emerge as candidates of the PDP for different political offices - Senate, House of Representatives and the State House of Assembly are fiercer than the general elections. Interestingly, that of the governorship position was a smooth sail for the incumbent, Senator Dr Ifeanyi Okowa who was literally returned unopposed. It was the first time the party was having such experience in the oil-rich, multi-ethnic state.
Governor Okowa was the only aspirant for the governorship position, he was screened, but, in line with constitutional provisions of the PDP, there was a well organised primary election for the governorship position in Asaba. More than 3, 000 delegates of the party from all the Wards in the state converged in Asaba for the primary election.
Former Governor of the state, Chief James Ibori, former Deputy Governors of the state, Chief Benjamin Elue and Professor Amos Utuama (SAN) were among delegates who voted at the primary election. Chairman of the committee that organised PDP primary election. Mrs Uzo Nwandu declared Governor Okowa winner, stating that out of the 3, 278 accredited delegates from the 270 political Wards in the state, 26 invalid votes were counted, while 3, 252 votes went to Governor Okowa.
The emergence of Governor Okowa as the candidate of the PDP for the governorship election was significant in several ways - it was a vote of confidence by members of his political party that he has done well within four years and deserved re-election. Bearing in mind that most Deltans belong to the PDP, Governor Okowa's emergence as the candidate of the PDP was a strong indication that Deltans are comfortable with his style of leadership.
Again, Governor Okowa's achievements in repositioning the state to be an investors' haven through the provision of infrastructure in almost all the communities made it such that opposing his re-election will amount to a wild goose chase.
Politically, Governor Okowa is a respected leader of the PDP. He is seen by many people as the fulcrum where the successes, integrity and popularity of the PDP revolves. As I write this piece, he is in Port Harcourt, Rivers State as the Chairman, National Planning Committee of the party's national convention. As you read this piece this morning, there is every likelihood that the PDP Candidate for the Presidential election has emerged.
Governor Okowa, it is worthy to state is conducting the National Convention of the PDP for three consecutive times. Through a convention he conducted, the current national leadership of the PDP led by Prince Uche Secondus emerged.
As such, after conducting a convention that midwifed the current leadership of the PDP, it would have again be a wrong political calculation for a member of the party to battle with him for the governorship ticket of the party in Delta State.
So, on 30th of September, 2018, all the delegates of the PDP and by extension, all the members of the PDP affirmed through a transparent and credibly organised primary election that Governor Okowa deserves to continue with his good works for Deltans till 2023.
With the declaration of Governor Okowa as the winner of the primary election by the Chairman of the electoral committee, Mrs Nwandu, one can rightly say that the PDP in Delta State has gone back to the drawing board to map out strategies to retain its victory streak in the state since 1999.
Obviously elated Governor Okowa shortly after been declared winner of the primary election, said he has been re-energised to work for Deltans.
He said, " dear delegates and the good people of Delta State, during the 2015 elections you will recall that promises were made and we have continued to do the best that we can despite the very challenging times to ensure that we met with the promises, but one good thing that Deltans have done is that they have continued to pray for us and partner with us in governance. I must say that I am very grateful to all Deltans particularly our leaders, our youths and our women. I thank you all for all that you have done to ensure that we have a peaceful state because, without peace, we cannot develop.
Governor Okowa, who at the occasion announced that his Deputy, Barr. Kingsley Otuaro will be his running mate for the second term, continued, “the PDP in Delta is a family and we are very proud of this family and because we realize that we are a family, PDP has insisted that there will be equitable process where there is justice and fairness; because we are one family the PDP endorsed my candidacy in 2014 and I went through by the special grace of God during the elections and we won. Today, in your belief for equity, justice and fairness, the party has returned me unopposed as its candidate. I am very grateful and I thank you for being a party that reasons that we can only be a family when there is equity and fairness.

I want to assure you that we will continue to remain strong under the leadership of our leader, Chief James Ibori. This party will remain focused, this party will be about Delta, we shall continue to ensure that we are strengthened enough to be recognized very strongly in national politics. There is no need to be afraid, there is no need to shake. When something happened in some states, people send text messages but, we have come as always in the name of God and because God is with us, there is nobody that can be against us.
We are strong and we will continue to remain strong. We will go forth into the elections and we will win landslide. I am proud because I have each and every one of you, our God that was with us in 2015 is with us, so, there is no cause for alarm. We must go out there to talk to the people, we must go as one united family, we must go carrying everyone along and I believe that this is the principle of our party, let us continue to conduct our activities in peace,” he admonished.
Definitely, in few days time, we shall know the strategies the PDP will adopt for its campaign, but, one good thing is that the party has a saleable candidate, someone who has a lot of delivered programmes and projects in his kitty to campaign with.
May the best person with the heart to work more in the interest of the people continue to emerge in elections in the state, because, with such, it can only be better for the people.

(As published on page 10 of The Pointer Newspaper of Sunday, October 7, 2018.)

Re: How Okowa Emerged As PDP Guber Flag Bearer by soliddust2020: 5:27pm On Oct 10, 2018

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Nigerian Governor Caught Collecting A $5 Million Bribe On Camera / Epistle Of Atiku Abubakar / What Would You Change If You Become The President Of Nigeria For 7-days?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.