Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,871 members, 7,876,315 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:36 PM

ULC To FG: Don’t Privatise Ajaokuta Steel - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ULC To FG: Don’t Privatise Ajaokuta Steel (243 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu’s Family To FG: Don’t Manhandle Our Son, He's Only A Freedom Fighter / Atiku: NNPC Is A Mafia Organisation… I Will Privatise It Even If They’ll Kill Me / Atiku’s Policy Document: Privatise NNPC , Raise GDP To $900bn, Cut Taxes… (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ULC To FG: Don’t Privatise Ajaokuta Steel by Nairatrend: 6:34am On Oct 11, 2018
@NAIRATREND.COM.NG

United Labour Congress of Nigeria, ULC, has rejected plans by the Federal Government to privatise Ajaokuta Steel Company, Kogi State, urging it to complete the company for national development.

Speaking through its President, Mr. Joe Ajaero, ULC contended that it is opposed to the privatisation of the steel company because of its enormous benefits to industries, homes and the nation at large.

Recall that the House of Representatives Committee on Privatisation, chaired by Ahmed Yerima, on March 1, held a public hearing on Federal Government’s planned privatisation and concessioning of the company, which the House rejected.

According to Ajaero, government is yet to provide an alternative if the company is privatised and should, instead, channel its energy into completion of the company.

ULC’s President said: “No country is stable without a steel company. If it is developed, it will boost car manufacturing companies, rail system and roads.”

Ajaero noted that if government could rehabilitate the company, it was capable of employing 500,000 workers.

Also, President of Iron and Steel Senior Staff Association of Nigeria, ISSSAN, Mr. Itopa Bello, said government should unbundle the company to ensure its effective operation and viability.

Bello added that Ajaokuta Steel had many products entity with the capacity to stand and function independently and should not be given to a single investor.

GIST VIA - https://nairatrend.com.ng/ulc-to-fg-dont-privatise-ajaokuta-steel/

Re: ULC To FG: Don’t Privatise Ajaokuta Steel by shutto: 6:38am On Oct 11, 2018
Okay....
Re: ULC To FG: Don’t Privatise Ajaokuta Steel by GOFRONT(m): 6:44am On Oct 11, 2018
grin
Re: ULC To FG: Don’t Privatise Ajaokuta Steel by Ehiscotch(m): 6:56am On Oct 11, 2018
I would rather have a fully functioning private system than a public one that has been dragging his feet all the years.

Since it is a concession and I believe it is only going to be for a certain period I see no reason why we should wait for government to keep wasting public funds through series of budgeting with little or no result; it is better to have it functional and privatised than be a huge pile of nothing and making us spend heavily on importation.

(1) (Reply)

Sorry. Dollar Power / #NoToCodeine Campaign: Edo N-Power Charges 322 Pupils On Dangers Of Drug Abuse / Fayose Dates With EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.