Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,267 members, 7,887,783 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 01:45 PM

The Perception Of Inadequacy And The Entrenchment Of Corruption In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Perception Of Inadequacy And The Entrenchment Of Corruption In Nigeria (205 Views)

Uzodinma Changed The Perception About Igbo's / Gagdi: Pantami's Pro-Al-Qaeda Views Have Consequence On Perception Of Nigeria / Atiku Is A Case Study On Corruption In USA By Homeland Security. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Perception Of Inadequacy And The Entrenchment Of Corruption In Nigeria by Listic1: 9:21am On Oct 16, 2018
I have always argued that corruption is not Nigeria's or the Black man's greatest challenge. I still hold that view today. This is for the simple reason that corruption as we understand it down here is one of the symptoms of a much deeper malaise - actually, a mental disease. After careful thought, I termed that disease the 'perception of inadequacy'. In the succeeding paragraphs, I will try to properly diagnose the disease by going into its pathology and thereafter make certain prescriptions that has the potency to flush out the deadly virus.

From childhood, the average Nigerian is exposed to chronic shortages. Without attempting to sound demeaning, no Nigerian has ever been able to have any level of sufficiency in basic services. Things which people elsewhere take for granted: electricity, roads, fuel, pipe borne water, medicare, education, et cetera; are luxuries which most people in Nigeria can ill afford. This sad reality, is the pathology of the disease I identified above. It is a grave condition; this disease called the perception of inadequacy.

This ailment which the Nigerian has been subjected to over the course of his life has very profound and damaging effect on him, on his psyche. Quite frankly, this has resulted in the ordinary Nigerian and Black person being unable to understand and properly function in the material word around him. It is for this reason that the vast majority of Nigerians and Black people continue to exhibit, most times subconsciously, some very awkward behaviours. A few examples are in order at this point.

When you get into any banking hall in Nigeria, and I dare say most black countries, you would notice something unique. Upon joining the queue, the person in front of you will inform you that there is someone behind them. While trying to ascertain the whereabouts of the customer who is not in the queue, another person will tap you from behind to say that they are going to complete the relevant bank form but that you should inform others that someone is behind you. Basically, no one wants to be the last person on the queue. This is not limited to queues in banking halls only. As a matter of solid fact, we jump any and all queues in these parts! This terrible practice has deep roots and has caused many a quarrel in banking halls and elsewhere even though it is not considered too serious.

This next example is a most troubling one and is usually a pitiable sight. I am not sure we have ever gotten it right in this regard: when sharing money, food or other items - no matter how irrelevant the item or the status of the people concerned. If you have attended any occasion or function where items are to be shared, you would notice in the majority of cases that while the sharing is going on some people will raise an alarm that the items have not gotten to their corner. They will be asked to be patient that the items will get to everyone. But the more they are told to remain patient, the more impatient they become. Usually, in situations like this one of two things happen. The people agitating become uncontrollable and the sharing stops altogether or they become so unruly and descend on the items while helping themselves to it in a free for all.

And now the one that most people will identify with. Most politicians when they are elected say they are coming to serve the people. But this is not really true. Many of them have lived under the crushing weight of lack and deprivation. They see occupation of public or government offices as the only way out of such existence. This is why when these men and women finally get into office and have access to the public till they steal like their lives literally depends on it; like they will drop dead if they stopped or took it easy. They steal for themselves and on behalf of their children up to the seventh generation! This also applies with equal force to other private arrangements.

The pertinent question now is: why do we feel compelled to behave in these strange ways? The answer is simple and straightforward. Based on the prevailing conditioning and reality of lack and inadequacy, the vast majority of the populace believes that if they are not in a good position in the 'queue' the 'goodies' may likely not get to them. They take it for granted that there is due process, an order to be followed in the distribution or that the organisers may have made adequate arrangement for all the attendees. And so, to forestall that perceived likelihood these people subconsciously create a chaotic situation which favours the physically strong and greedy and the brutish display of base instincts.

It is difficult to accept that our case is beyond redemption. This is especially so when the culprit for our peculiar way of doing things has been identified: the epidemic known as the perception of inadequacy! Yes, indeed! The disease is of epidemic proportions at the moment and something must be done urgently to contain it and curtail its spread. In that light, any discussion about societal reform or the fight against corruption in Nigeria and most parts of the Black world must necessarily begin with a rejigging of our perception of our existence. But more importantly, we must drastically and comprehensively address the kind of physical poverty that makes this type of thinking and perception possible. Unless we do so, we will only be playing the ostrich when we say we demand change or insist that we are 'fighting' corruption. The 'war' against corruption is supposed to be unconventional. It should also be a psychological one!

Listic1; @ODNEsq

Lalasticlala: Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

"There Are Strange Movements Around My Residence" - Fayose Says / How I Expected Buhari Would Fight Corruption / Atiku Promises Women, Youth 40% Cabinet Positions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.